Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
You should be able to flip isolated systems completely cut off from their owners, at least through espionage, it's so silly. I pretty much have to close borders with AI if I don't have enough influence to claim everything three jumps from their borders because they will always cheat claim those systems and annoy me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Initial Borders: Closed is the only rational policy to set, no matter how nice you're playing. Me claiming a chokepoint means everything behind that is mine, it's not an invitation for the AI to see how many of my systems they can nab before I get another hit of influence.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

ConfusedUs posted:

I mean, this is not intended behavior. You have to edit your save file--using multiplayer as the editing platform--in order to accomplish it.

it's just kinda funny that they placed so many restrictions to keep players from cheating achievements with mods/console/etc and file checksum validation, and yet right there in the main menu of the game there's a feature to let you twist the rules into a pretzel by forcing AIplayers to make unfavorable trades/surrender/vote/etc

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

quote:

these civics will give more freedom of thought to their leaders, allowing them to focus their consciousness on different matters - which should also help a bit with leader Unity upkeep, as the base change from 2 to 1 is effectively 50% leader upkeep reduction (which is then put into easier to get resources).
I am suddenly questioning if the Stellaris devs play their own game, at all, even once. Because for realsies, explain to me how there is a currency in this game that's easier to get than Unity.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Yeah, the usual bottleneck is poo poo like the rare reaources and the all-mighty influence.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Unity isn't hard to get but it is one of those things like research where you can never have too much (until you max out all your trees, anyways). Maybe they think people often run edicts past their edict fund allowance?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

isndl posted:

Unity isn't hard to get but it is one of those things like research where you can never have too much (until you max out all your trees, anyways). Maybe they think people often run edicts past their edict fund allowance?
I do that all the time. :shobon:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Poil posted:

I do that all the time. :shobon:

Same.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Most of the time when I last played I never had enough Unity.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Unity is pretty hard to get for gestalts early on actually, which these civics are for.

Also you're likely forgetting that unity upkeep of leaders is going way up in the dlc - i honestly think the civic may even be borderline required for gestalts, especially machines.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah early unity for non-servitor machines sucks, and now every level of a leader is another 2 unity upkeep. That seems like a decent starting civic that you reform out of later.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
My current game is a mess.

The Contingency appeared, and things aren't looking great for the galaxy. One of the empires on the galactic council has picked the "become the crisis" ascension, and now the Awakened xenophile empire is carving through their lands and the lands of their many vassals colossus-shielding every colony they pass, so I'm guessing we won't get much help from that direction anytime soon. One of the vassals of the crisis aspirant empire is both in a war with their overlord against the awakened empire while simultaneously being AT war with their overlord in a liberation war. The Ancient Caretakes machine fallen empire was located smack dab in the middle of my territory, and went berserk after The Contingency showed up and started attacking me.

I've had to hire every single mercenary enclave I can get my hands on to keep The Contingency from using Terminal Egress to spread out even further while my main fleet deal with the Caretakers, and combined with the fleet from the separatists (Fear of the Dark origin) it's making me exceed my naval capacity by more than 100%, and it's barely enough to keep Terminal Egress safe because it's become a massive meat grinder. I might have put the crisis slider a bit too far to the right. It's tanking my economy as I'm losing more than 10k energy credits and 1k alloys per month even after selling off what I can, though thankfully I have enough reserves to keep me going for several years while I desperately build more anchorages and ram through legislation in the senate to boost our naval capacity. I still remember those good old days when the Dyson sphere seemed like a useless vanity project...

The only positive thing in all this is that all of the Contingency machine worlds spawned far away from my territory for once, so I'm at least able to focus my fleets on dealing with the berserked machine AE while the mercs give their lives in Terminal Egress. It's not looking great though, no one but me and the xenophile AE has fleets powerful enough to fight the Contingency after the AE carved through the crisis aspirant empire, who had by far the most powerful fleet of all until they went crisis mode and got dunked on by the AE. They're still not at the stage where they can build the Star-Eaters, and hopefully they won't anytime soon because we kind of have enough on our plates as it is.

I'm trying to get the Galactic Threats Committee passed too for that extra +20% damage to crises, but I guess the AI is worried about the "dangerous experiments might have dangerous results" red text in it because virtually no one is supporting it.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 8, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

The second one is just -X years to lifespan, the only thing interesting about it is the text. Text which has no relation to actual game events, they're as likely to pick it up during a hard-fought war against a superior enemy as they are idling at a starbase for two decades.

"Things happened" does not equal interesting. They're only interesting if the things themselves are actually interesting.

That line of reasoning sounds like "the text has no relation to the book"-level of discourse. But reading your post put a smile on my face, simply because it sounds so absurd to me. I'll give you that

Apart from that, you make a lot of assumptions about mods I don't even plan on writing. Maybe imagine a less lovely programmer than me? :v:

Anno
May 10, 2017

My current game is also a glorious mess. I had the tail-end of the L-Gate incursion going alongside the Shroud Rising crisis, then the War in Heaven triggered and basically the entire galaxy joined my federation on the non-aligned side. We were making good headway when the Prethoryn showed up. So now I'm trying to fight the Prethoryn 1v1 while the rest of the galaxy deals with everything else. I'm honestly not at all sure how it'll all end but it's great fun.

It's really dumb but whenever I get nominated for Custodian and receive overwhelming support it feels good lol. The Galactic Community is really the best and I hope it keeps receiving new stuff forever.

Anno fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 8, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Change my mind: L-Gates were a mistake

Having poo poo randomly warp all over the galaxy ignoring FTL inhibition isn't fun, and half the time you open it up there's nothing in there anyway, let alone something interesting. Going to have to go looking for a game rule to turn them off next time I play.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The Prethoryn have now aggro'd a third fallen empire (not one involved in the War) and are having their expansion north stalled by their fleets. The AI somehow banded together a bunch of 20-80k fleets to crush a 1.3m FE fleet and are now starting to push into their territory proper. Meanwhile I'm holding the line on my side and just got a second mega shipyard online.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
As much I like the newer quick travel hyper things, having a short distance point to point user created link before gateway construction would be really really nice. Give it a short max range and have to select a destination during construction. Destroyable would be even better.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

PittTheElder posted:

Change my mind: L-Gates were a mistake

Having poo poo randomly warp all over the galaxy ignoring FTL inhibition isn't fun, and half the time you open it up there's nothing in there anyway, let alone something interesting. Going to have to go looking for a game rule to turn them off next time I play.

I don't think they were a mistake, but I think the events as written are pretty undercooked.

The gray tempest is annoying to fight, bland from a storytelling perspective, and there's no real benefit to beating them beyond ending their attacks on you.

L-Drakes are just meaningless, the rewards for killing or taming them are insignificant to the point they're better off just being ignored.

The Dessanu would be a lot more interesting if you actually got to keep their Gaia worlds after you beat them, but as it stands they just feel like a prototype to the Habinte that were recently introduced.

Gray is by far the most interesting and good option, but is kind of an afterthought once you decide what you want him to turn into.

As it stands, there are a finite number of L-gates in the galaxy, which you can fortify before you open. Jumping around FTL inhibition isn't really the issue when you can identify specifically which portals they're going to jump out of, it's more that they're a half-baked crisis/fallen empire hybrid without the the crazy relics or techs that normal crises or fallen empire give. Even the Khan gives you a throne for winning.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Yeah, the L-Cluster needs one of better rewards or a revamped storyline. The point at which you're able to fight off the Tempest (presumably when a smart player would open them) is too late for extra planets/nanites to be worth much. Especially since the Ancient Refinery building made nanite transmuters much less valuable.

Undercooked is a good way to put it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Angrymantium posted:

I don't think they were a mistake, but I think the events as written are pretty undercooked.

The gray tempest is annoying to fight, bland from a storytelling perspective, and there's no real benefit to beating them beyond ending their attacks on you.

L-Drakes are just meaningless, the rewards for killing or taming them are insignificant to the point they're better off just being ignored.

The Dessanu would be a lot more interesting if you actually got to keep their Gaia worlds after you beat them, but as it stands they just feel like a prototype to the Habinte that were recently introduced.

Gray is by far the most interesting and good option, but is kind of an afterthought once you decide what you want him to turn into.

As it stands, there are a finite number of L-gates in the galaxy, which you can fortify before you open. Jumping around FTL inhibition isn't really the issue when you can identify specifically which portals they're going to jump out of, it's more that they're a half-baked crisis/fallen empire hybrid without the the crazy relics or techs that normal crises or fallen empire give. Even the Khan gives you a throne for winning.

the reward for beating the tempest is you get a Space Metro Junction to have to defend, in a game about 4X-ing all the Spaces

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

silentsnack posted:

the reward for beating the tempest is you get a Space Metro Junction to have to defend, in a game about 4X-ing all the Spaces

It's a space metro junction that the AI will throw all their fleets into piecemeal since they're nominally heading elsewhere and Stellaris fleet pathing is hilarious like that. It simplifies large scale wars tremendously.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Initial Borders: Closed is the only rational policy to set, no matter how nice you're playing. Me claiming a chokepoint means everything behind that is mine, it's not an invitation for the AI to see how many of my systems they can nab before I get another hit of influence.

I hate the 2 jump claiming bullshit that the AI always does. That's not even a good system, gtfo.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Decided to try making a military contractor empire and wound up vassalizing my neighbor at their request. I agreed for those sweet extra resources and because they're the only thing between me and the fanatic purifiers. A few years later I have two enclaves on the border between me and my vassal and my vassal soon dissolves into civil war, dragging me into it. The rebelling empire hired my enclave and used it against me.

Makes sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The actual reward for opening the L-Cluster is strategic mobility.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Macrame_God posted:

Decided to try making a military contractor empire and wound up vassalizing my neighbor at their request. I agreed for those sweet extra resources and because they're the only thing between me and the fanatic purifiers. A few years later I have two enclaves on the border between me and my vassal and my vassal soon dissolves into civil war, dragging me into it. The rebelling empire hired my enclave and used it against me.

Makes sense.

Congrats on your space Thirty Years War, probably.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

The actual reward for opening the L-Cluster is strategic mobility.

That's very much double-edged, though, and personally I'd prefer to not receive that reward.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Yeah, the L-Cluster needs one of better rewards or a revamped storyline. The point at which you're able to fight off the Tempest (presumably when a smart player would open them) is too late for extra planets/nanites to be worth much. Especially since the Ancient Refinery building made nanite transmuters much less valuable.

Undercooked is a good way to put it.
My personal preference would be two L clusters (or maybe a T, S, square, or line cluster) with two distinct networks but fewer total gates.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

With all the hyper relays, wormholes, and randomly reactivated gateways I rarely care about the L-Cluster when it opens unless I happen to have a gate for it to poo poo the grey tempest into my systems. I never activate it myself. The only real reason I would activate it is to unleash the grey tempest and troll people, but since it's such a dice roll, why bother.

I didn't see it in notes but maybe I'm missing it. Are they going to tone down the ease by which AIs accept vassalage? The AI blobs up in record time and the less militant factions are way too willing to give up without a shot being fired.

I managed to get the sky dragon reanimated in 2238 and basically every nation who didn't already have a master went from mildly disliking a cordyceps hive mind to begging dragon daddy to be their master.

Also getting sky dragon and regular dragon together is cool as gently caress.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Staltran posted:

That's very much double-edged, though, and personally I'd prefer to not receive that reward.
But if you don't, eventually some AI dumbass will open the gates on their own. Would you rather have someone else letting the Grey Tempest off their leash or suddenly getting a claim on a system that gives them unparalleled mobility and lets them hit you at multiple internal points, or do you want it under your control?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Watching Montu's stream, and it seems like this expansion could be quite powerful mechanically, but most is just something that I'm going to love in general, building up my little guys (mushrooms). Especially since this seems like the easiest system in the world to continue adding to both in expansions and through mods. The future is looking brighter than ever.

Speaking of which, some destiny trait (lvl 8) previews, one for each class.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

But if you don't, eventually some AI dumbass will open the gates on their own. Would you rather have someone else letting the Grey Tempest off their leash or suddenly getting a claim on a system that gives them unparalleled mobility and lets them hit you at multiple internal points, or do you want it under your control?

Of course not. But if the reward makes the game less fun for me and I only want it because someone else getting it would be even worse, I'd rather just turn L-Gates off in the first place. Personally L-Gates are like the Sunset Invasion in CK2, very much a sometimes food.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Those traits look fun.

Is it just me, or is it not possible to purchase the DLC yet? It comes out tomorrow, I was hoping to pick it up so it'd auto-install first thing in the morning

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

binge crotching posted:

Those traits look fun.

Is it just me, or is it not possible to purchase the DLC yet? It comes out tomorrow, I was hoping to pick it up so it'd auto-install first thing in the morning

I can't pre-order on Steam either. Wonder what the pricing will be, coming so soon on the heels of another DLC.

Anno
May 10, 2017

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I can't pre-order on Steam either. Wonder what the pricing will be, coming so soon on the heels of another DLC.

It's $15, or whatever your equivalent.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
one of Minamar's vassals pledges secret fealty to me so out of consideration i immediately supported their independence. you know, just to be polite, right?

and then they actually went for it, good for them, so i forcibly recalled all my mercenaries from Minamar's employ (800 influence yikes) and bullrushed their capital, and then naturally cracked it, cause gently caress 'em.

that same vassal obviously won independence but stayed in federation with Minamar and they, for some reason, are not wildy grateful for my assistance and in fact are among a federation of my now bitter enemies. some people really just don't know how to say thank you, huh?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I don't usually play with advanced starts, and every game that force spawns Minamar is why. They always vassalize half the galaxy, it makes the final showdown with them a brutal slog.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Plunder guy seems good if you can get him early. Bullying your neighbor, stealing his poo poo, then force vassalizing/releasing him with a maximally punitive vassal contract seems strong!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is it possible to force-vassalize an empire that is already a vassal of somebody else? I don't seem to get subjugation CBs, but maybe I need a border?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Plunder guy seems good if you can get him early. Bullying your neighbor, stealing his poo poo, then force vassalizing/releasing him with a maximally punitive vassal contract seems strong!

Yeah it’s just fun tech. What leader traits can be is more expansive than I imagined it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Is it possible to force-vassalize an empire that is already a vassal of somebody else? I don't seem to get subjugation CBs, but maybe I need a border?
Not directly, I don't think. If you can get them to swear secret fealty to you, you can CB their current liege for that.