Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Achmed Jones posted:

*eating biscuits and gravy in orange county* i guess i dont like southern food!

aight hold up lol

biscuits and gravy isnt that hard. sausage gravy is the "hard" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
montagne, escoffier and careme would instantly know how to make sausage gravy. just a bechamel w sausage and pepper in. some classical french culinary education poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ADINSX posted:

I’ve never had good Louisiana food outside of Louisiana. I have no idea why, there are cookbooks, recipes online… just read those and make them for me

there used to be a place in DTLA called "little easy" that was legit. there was also a poboy spot called little jewel of new new orleans in iirc chinatown that was good but overrated

nb it's possible that i suck at louisiana food though. i think i make pretty great red beans and rice and jambalaya, but of course i would, even if im messing it up

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
wait up so like if were talking about biscuits and sausage gravy then i have some radically different opinions

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
right? fast food places see sausage gravy and rightly immediately recognize the trap of hot holding or sous viding or whatever that stuff and abandon it for a different price point restaurant to pick up

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
taking a hard turn as i realize all of us could mean very different tasting gravies in our biscuits and sausage gravy and there may be No Way to Know

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHBfN_gig54

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

it is against gdpr that there was no biscuit consent form before this derail

and by gdpr i mean goons decent posting rules

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Achmed Jones posted:

*eating biscuits and gravy in orange county* i guess i dont like southern food!

*eating a cruncy ground-beef taco in indianapolis* wow mexican food sucks

*eating kung pao in macon* omg all chinese food is not very good at all1

1actually i dont think anyone has ever made a bad kung pao but stay with me here!

I’ve eaten Copenhagen Mexican buffet and while I’ve never been to Indy i bet it’s way better lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

rotor posted:

wait up so like if were talking about biscuits and sausage gravy then i have some radically different opinions

the hell kind of place makes biscuits and gravy any other way? biscuits and brown gravy? you making GBS threads me?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

yeah exactly, it's sausage gravy, white roux w/ breakfast sausage. like there's variations and different places make them differently, but it shouldn't have a wildly different taste :confused:

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

my FIL preferred tomato gravy with biscuits tho, which i wasn't a huge fan of. only person i've ever met who liked that tbh.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

yeah exactly, it's sausage gravy, white roux w/ breakfast sausage. like there's variations and different places make them differently, but it shouldn't have a wildly different taste :confused:

i always thought it looked gross but finally tried it once when it was part of a free continental breakfast at a hotel and it was real good and now i like it a lot and specifically order it at places

that's my biscuits and gravy story thanks

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Americans calling whatever the gently caress those things are "biscuits" is the most boggling poo poo to everyone else, particularly in the film Demolition Man where Wesley snipes says "I love that smell, reminds me of biscuits and gravy" when he opens a sewer.

that confused me for years

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

americans tried to make scones but hosed them up and then couldn't admit they were wrong

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

fart simpson posted:

it was the sprawled out layout and driving everywhere that killed it for me. and many of the people are fake as hell and run me the wrong way

LA people are superficially nice but not kind. probably because they have to spend 2 hrs a day in cars

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Not a Children posted:

LA people are superficially nice but not kind. probably because they have to spend 2 hrs a day in cars

is the car thing due to sheer physical distance or slow traffic?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

4lokos basilisk posted:

yes

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

4lokos basilisk posted:

my coworkers and i used to semi regularly go out to a music venue on thursdays after work, it was a ~37km drive over the mountains and the traffic sucked rear end. and then after the music everyone would have to drive a similar or even longer distance to get home

one of those guys lived ~150km away from the office and he'd drive in every single day lol.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

absolutely possible that i just aint had good biscuits but that dont change the fact that i aint cared much for biscuits so far

sorry if that hurts your feelings but

the people hated him because he spoke the truth

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
The secret to a good sausage gravy to go with biscuits is that you want like, just a little too much fresh cracked black pepper in it.

It shouldn't linger, but you should feel that first bite in your sinuses.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Last time i made biscuits and sausage gravy the sausage was pretty light on fat, so i tell you what i did, i threw in a glop of duck fat to make the roux and lemme tell ya

Also, one of the things i make every Christmas season is biscuits and chocolate gravy

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i go to kfc i'll dip biscuits in the brown gravy. it's not b&g but it's good

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ok yeah i did a side by side comparison of tokyo station to hachioji vs hollywood walk of fame to long beach, both of which are around 9h on foot and i guess roughly the same physical distance. the former is to me the epitome of the regular mind numbing salaryman commute in the tokyo metro, so i guess this gives me an idea of the scale of los angeles

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

mystes posted:

someone should get that as a smiley

here is a roughly smilie sized version:
(i've never made a smilie before, but some of 'em are about these dimensions or larger, e.g. the ever-applicable :negative:)

in case anyone else likes it as much as i do  :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i like it too, mostly because like all great smileys if you don't know the incredibly specific context it's completely baffling

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shame Boy posted:

i like it too, mostly because like all great smileys if you don't know the incredibly specific context it's completely baffling

:screamy:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shame Boy posted:

:backtowork:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:gerard:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i had a printed picture of responsibility scallop on my wall at my first job for years :3:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i completely forgot until i went out to the kitchen just now but when we moved here my wife put that picture up on our fridge with a magnet and it's still there

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Shame Boy posted:

there are quite a lot on here like that, yeah.

:grovertoot:

:george:

:smallbarf:

i think that this one takes the cake though for "literally impossible to decipher, even on the surface level, if you aren't a goon and also you had to be posting at a specific time"

:weed:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

there are quite a lot on here like that, yeah.

:grovertoot:

:george:

:smallbarf:

i think that this one takes the cake though for "literally impossible to decipher, even on the surface level, if you aren't a goon and also you had to be posting at a specific time"

:weed:

what is :weed:, i've never managed to get the story on it

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Midjack posted:

what is :weed:, i've never managed to get the story on it

iirc it is what if you launched a ball of weed the size of the sun, into the sun (stoner woah)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

:negative: is so good I regularly try to use it in work chat before realising it's not there

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you cant add it?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

its too big for slack and smallifying it makes it looks bad in my past experience

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

im gay

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

:chiefsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you cant add it?

no our chat platform sucks poo poo. will try it when I'm in the new place though.