Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Paracaidas posted:

In signing this extension, Love has given up more than $5m in guaranteed money compared to the 5th year option in exchange for the potential, through escalators to earn about $2m more (if I'm understanding the numbers correctly).

The only way that tracks is if he's tragically contracted Okung disease or if he was told the 5th year option wouldn't be exercised. Was that $5m in guaranteed money and a little cap space next year worth the risk Love would tell him to fuckoff and play out the year (or hold out!) or did Brian want to show he could wear the big boy GM pants? :shrug:

Think long term. If Love hits even a handful of escalators he'll get an extension and a big payday. They aren't terribly difficult to hit for a starting caliber QB. So it then works for both parties because Love gets more money guaranteed up front and GB has an easier out with two firsts next year if he's not the guy, with Love still getting guaranteed cash. It's a weird situation. I can't recall of anything remotely like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

https://youtu.be/f9jyDim8SAk

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

About three months ago, for a little while after they released Michael Brockers, the oldest rostered player on the Lions was 29.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Paracaidas posted:

In signing this extension, Love has given up more than $5m in guaranteed money compared to the 5th year option in exchange for the potential, through escalators to earn about $2m more (if I'm understanding the numbers correctly).

The only way that tracks is if he's tragically contracted Okung disease or if he was told the 5th year option wouldn't be exercised. Was that $5m in guaranteed money and a little cap space next year worth the risk Love would tell him to fuckoff and play out the year (or hold out!) or did Brian want to show he could wear the big boy GM pants? :shrug:

It's ~$10m in cap space next year, not pennies.

Also, if you're Gutekunst, you don't really have a ton of incentive to pick up the 5th year option. The franchise tag would have still been an option next year, so the downside is really only an extra $9m of cap.

For Love, this deal pretty much guarantees him two seasons to prove he's the guy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

tinstaach posted:

About three months ago, for a little while after they released Michael Brockers, the oldest rostered player on the Lions was 29.

And boy howdy could you tell on defense.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MJeff posted:

And boy howdy could you tell on defense.

Even better there was hardly any money tied up on the defensive side.

Really young and really cheap.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

"They're young and they're cheap."
"Are they good?"
"They're YOUNG. And they're CHEAP."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ChicagoBears/status/1654513621207068678

Peanut >>>>

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

I mean based on his biceps peanut looks like he's still practicing the punch

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

adaz posted:

I mean based on his biceps peanut looks like he's still practicing the punch

Feds get time at the gym.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Should be a Hall of Famer and it annoys me that his greatness at cornerback wasn't recognized until late because he didn't have the interceptions.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssTAn-qR4gc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGdG3Ti3fec

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

da bears

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I think holmes got high on his success picking players last year and just said absolutely everyone else but us is wrong about everything, and we don’t give a gently caress.

It’s like some New England Patriots poo poo. And it really better pay off or else it’s gonna be a huge embarrassing failure.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1654497322858938372?s=20

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
https://twitter.com/chicagobears/status/1374873691314618370?s=46&t=412mHfBtNaNoiY_Z498b9g

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Wait, I've seen this one before

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/freep/status/1654830933596405761

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

If Lions fans knew this before, the Queen never would have lasted this long.

In other news, ARSB is dead to me.

https://twitter.com/The33rdTeamFB/status/1653844625122267143?s=20

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He's right

Also mad respect doing that to setup a joke for his brother.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/King_kevvoo/status/1654637411069214721

This sucks. Kevin King took last season off to get healthy and to reassess his love for the game after dealing with so many injuries. At the start of FA one of his really close friends died, then he tore his achilles training.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Who is this dork?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Think it's AJ Hawk and probably at the Derby

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/minakimes/status/1654589971523567617

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Yeah. It stinks. :shepface:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

This is really embarrassing

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

If "I paid for Twitter Blue" was a style.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hot Diggity! posted:

https://twitter.com/King_kevvoo/status/1654637411069214721

This sucks. Kevin King took last season off to get healthy and to reassess his love for the game after dealing with so many injuries. At the start of FA one of his really close friends died, then he tore his achilles training.

Sounds like he is mirroring tarik cohens tragic end to a career.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

C-Euro posted:

If "I paid for Twitter Blue" was a style.

lol

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

They know you win games by scoring the most points, right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s the off season and you can only talk about a guy who played one game for so many hours

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I don’t think Joe Barry is any good but I hate the defense has all these first rounders the pressure is on him talk all the time. How about looking at are these first rounders any good and put the pressure on Gute? Like our safeties are a bunch of special teamers and Savage the first rounder stinks. Stokes was loving awful last year before going out for the year. Wyatt was an old defensive lineman that didn’t show much last year(first year lineman almost always struggle so still hopeful on him). He picked Quay over Devin Lloyd who had a much better rookie season as well.

Alexander, Gary and Clark who was a TT pick one though but the years are starting to stack up a lot of drafts after those.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Savage got somewhat better after coming back from being benched. Part of the issue with these players in the secondary is they keep being asked to do something other than what they're good at. It works for Jaire since he's an All-Pro talent, but come on.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Shrimpy posted:

It's ~$10m in cap space next year, not pennies.
Ah, I'd seen much more negligible numbers earlier. Tracks a bit more.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SKULL.GIF posted:

Savage got somewhat better after coming back from being benched. Part of the issue with these players in the secondary is they keep being asked to do something other than what they're good at. It works for Jaire since he's an All-Pro talent, but come on.

Why is the GM picking players who don’t fit the scheme?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though I will say that I hate the idea that draft and coaching are segregated.

Like a draft pick is destined to be a hit or miss no matter what, you just hope you pick them

Like some sort of football Calvinism

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 6, 2023

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but it feels like with the secondary, everyone has a good first year -- then they get asked to do something else in Year 2 and it all just falls apart.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

A lot of it also was because Amos lost a step, Quay wasn't great at the start of the year, and then there was zero pressure off the edge once Gary got hurt as well. Once Barry stopped relying solely on soft zone coverages when the pass rush couldn't produce he played much better. He even admitted he was trying to do too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Quay ended up showing he's a bit of an rear end on the field also. Ejected twice iirc last year