Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
When Tony talks about Leopold and Loeb saying, "they killed and cornholed this kid for fun"- it was actually to collect a ransom and there was no sexual aspect whatsoever to the crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

chris’ intervention is still funny as poo poo, and edie falco’s performance in whitecaps is really great

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i’m not catholic by any stretch, my country’s been lutheran for several centuries already. but I am getting a strong sense that monsignor Jughead is being extremely unprofessional with how he handles Carmela’s confession after sleeping with Wegler.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe that’s your sin talking.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
He's jealous, OP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ulvir posted:

i’m not catholic by any stretch, my country’s been lutheran for several centuries already. but I am getting a strong sense that monsignor Jughead is being extremely unprofessional with how he handles Carmela’s confession after sleeping with Wegler.
I mean he's extremely unprofessional from like appearance one on the show where it's very clear he really wants to gently caress Carmela but can't do it

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean he's extremely unprofessional from like appearance one on the show where it's very clear he really wants to gently caress Carmela but can't do it

Yeah, Carmela is correct in that he loves that flirtation and getting the pious serotonin feeling for not giving in.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that part is really obvious, i just want to confirm that my impression of the confession was correct as well

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

That was definitely jealousy

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Definitely read it as jealousy, but also interpreted that he and the church are fleecing all the mob wives.

Can’t really get as much money if Carmela and Tony are divorced. Not like Tony will donate a cent by himself and Carmela won’t have the funds to donate as much her own.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

but another 50 Gs and you wouldn’t have this sense?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 8, 2023

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

why can’t I help laughing at Tony working himself up in another insanely racist tirade against black guys that was entirely made up by himself in s5e9 :(

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

ulvir posted:

that part is really obvious, i just want to confirm that my impression of the confession was correct as well

You can certainly frame his motivations in the context of their prior relationship, but in terms of the line he took I'm not sure how likely it is that Carmela would have heard any different from any other priest in the Church. We saw in season 3 what happened when she sought out marriage advice from another priest, even, and it was still just 'marriage is a sacrament, work things out with your husband no matter what sort of man he is'

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Father Phil was particularly vicious about it. He was basically like "I should go tell on you to Tony"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that’s the good old Catholic Church

Compare that to when she briefly sees the Jewish therapist and he’s like ‘uhhh you’re absolutely complicit in his crimes’

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I love how she practically starts out with "I don't know what you Jews think of marriage but us Catholics take it seriously"

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Another Bill posted:

What really frustrates me about the movie was the Newark riots, a super important event in the 1960s that should have had an impact on all the characters but then just peters out mid-film.

I feel like that was what the movie was meant to be about, he got railroaded into making it a Sopranos prequel, and then decided to make it the sloppiest slop possible

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That's exactly what happened. When I was at the con in 2019 the title was "The Many Saints of Newark" and the only giveaway that it was connected to the Sopranos was the gun in place of the R. The "A Sopranos Story" subtitle was added after the reshoots.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

You can certainly frame his motivations in the context of their prior relationship, but in terms of the line he took I'm not sure how likely it is that Carmela would have heard any different from any other priest in the Church. We saw in season 3 what happened when she sought out marriage advice from another priest, even, and it was still just 'marriage is a sacrament, work things out with your husband no matter what sort of man he is'

I think I just assumed a priest would handle it less viciously than this, “yes, you did wrong, here’s how to atone” in a slightly more compassionate way, maybe?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

ulvir posted:

I think I just assumed a priest would handle it less viciously than this, “yes, you did wrong, here’s how to atone” in a slightly more compassionate way, maybe?

What in the history of human existence would make you think such a thing?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

my exposure to christianity being primarily a scandinavian state-church from the latter half of 1980s and onward

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

which is why I prefaced it with not having any real exposure to catholicism, in other movies the priest will just stoically say “yes, atone by X” without any of the venom in Intintola’s voice

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My apologies, I missed that part.

And yeah, American Catholicism is awful.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Not just american. The catholic church is one of the most rich, powerful and evil corporations the world has ever known.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh absolutely, but they seemed to be surprised by the brand in the northeast US.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

there was no abundant intentionality in me bringing that up

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But you made a post!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

ulvir posted:

I see that, but I have to admit I don't remember thinking his response was particularly harsh, except relative to how indulgent he usually is. I was more thinking, why is she going to him with this anyway, what the gently caress did she expect him to say? She's not in the confession booth because she doesn't feel the least bit guilty about it. At best she's trying to reconcile conceiving of herself as a Catholic while beaming about engaging in something bluntly un-Catholic, at worst she's rubbing it in Father Phil's face, probably a bit of both.

To me if you peel that scene back the subtext is Carmela telling him that Wegler is the sort of sensitive, intellectual, romantic partner that he failed to be for her (maybe because he's gay??), and Phil is woundedly reminding her that the rules don't actually allow for that for either of them.

(To be clear I think these characters are all terrible for reasons unrelated to the dubious moral codes of Catholicism and I do like and feel pity for them anyway)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
She does it for the same reason she does pretty much everything.

To rationalize how complicit she is in everything Tony does and the money she makes by thinking that is she brings up her faith, it excuses everything. Like a lot of presumably religious people I know, she only turns to its guidance or message when it's convenient, when she wants to feel better about herself or when she's just flat out desperate and facing the consequences of her choices.

She thinks it's some sort of higher authority that will conveniently offer her a loophole or an out for all the terrible she poo poo tacitly endorses.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
with great sadness I must share this

https://twitter.com/dreadematteo/status/1656051882924838913?s=20

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wish the Lord would take me now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Oh boy her Twitter feed is exactly what you think it is.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
...Carmela was right to throw that detective's business card away.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not a huge surprise...if The Sopranos had been set like 20 years later most of the characters would have been MAGA heads

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Steven Van Zandt sighs and gets the car keys....

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not a huge surprise...if The Sopranos had been set like 20 years later most of the characters would have been MAGA heads

AJ with an opportunity to do the funniest thing possible.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh boy her Twitter feed is exactly what you think it is.

You ain’t lying

(She retweeted this one]
https://twitter.com/cotupacs/status/1645174471362314240?s=20

https://twitter.com/dreadematteo/status/1635324302936670209?s=20

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
:yikeseroo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir