Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Josef bugman posted:

Why the gently caress isn't her brother helping her? Other than pure FYGM.

Behind The Bastards did a piece on Thomas.

He is a bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mellow Seas posted:

Interestingly, the one time the government did set spending based on need without dicking around and nickel and diming everybody, in 2020, it led to a three year period of nonstop job growth and the best labor market in generations, albeit with some side effects. And of course, conservative/corporate economists are using those side effects to argue that the government should never spend the amount of money necessary to solve a problem ever again.

Also most of those side effects were not due to the medicine, but rather corporations ripping everyone off even more than usual while blaming it on the medicine.

James Garfield posted:

I think it's correct that there's a gender element to the calls for Feinstein to resign, but that isn't relevant to whether or not Feinstein should resign.

The conflating thing about Feinstein is that the Senate is close enough for it to matter. Pelosi and others are right that she's getting more heat that previous incapacitated Senators, but while sexism is partially driving things the real difference is that the Senate has been overwhelmingly male for it's historic existence and inflection points where one incapacitated Senator matter are relatively rare.

Also Mitch and the Republicans have spent the last 14 years turning the Senate into a caricature of it's lovely self. In prior years it wouldn't matter so much that one Senator isn't showing up for the Judiciary Committee, business would still move along and appointments would proceed at pace. Unfortunately Mitch is working hard to get his most honored place in hell, so Feinstein not being there is affecting things more than any previous incapacitated Senator. McCain, Byrd and Kennedy were both dying while their party controlled the Senate.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also a lot of post great recession stuff was "shovel ready projects" supposedly to avoid boondongles of multi year projects that might not see the light of day. Compared to BIF/IRA which were like we'll take theoretical projects and throw billions of dollars over multiple agencies to spread the risk.

The IRA projects particularly those being run by commerce are happening much much faster than the “shovel ready projects” did.

The physical building of these projects… some of the semiconductor stuff is already here and done!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

brugroffil posted:

Boy, economists really seem to hate the idea of labor having any sort of power or growth at all.

Or any money whatsoever. It's always been frustrating to me over the last couple of years that, supposedly, the problem with the economy is that poor people somehow took all the money.

Wonder how RWM is gonna frame this, assuming they cover it at all. Fake news/statistics, Trump's policies taking hold after COVID, or red states slashing UEI and aid so it forced all those lazy fuckers back to work. Can we at least put to bed this "no one wants to work anymore" bullshit?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

Or any money whatsoever. It's always been frustrating to me over the last couple of years that, supposedly, the problem with the economy is that poor people somehow took all the money.

Wonder how RWM is gonna frame this, assuming they cover it at all. Fake news/statistics, Trump's policies taking hold after COVID, or red states slashing UEI and aid so it forced all those lazy fuckers back to work. Can we at least put to bed this "no one wants to work anymore" bullshit?

I think economists work out their calculations with the assumption that poor people spend 100% of the money they make.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mendrian posted:

I think economists work out their calculations with the assumption that poor people spend 100% of the money they make.
At yet they still have so much excess savings :argh:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Mendrian posted:

So it's actually a subject of debate because a lot of macroeconomic models assume people don't spend all the money they make but instead save and borrow to even out spending over their lifetime! And then this assumption gets thrown on its head by non-Ricardian households that in fact don't save but spend everything as it comes in and make up nearly half of the US. It wasn't as big an issue in the past but the proportion of non-saving households has grown over the past few decades.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Morrow posted:

So it's actually a subject of debate because a lot of macroeconomic models assume people don't spend all the money they make but instead save and borrow to even out spending over their lifetime! And then this assumption gets thrown on its head by non-Ricardian households that in fact don't save but spend everything as it comes in and make up nearly half of the US. It wasn't as big an issue in the past but the proportion of non-saving households has grown over the past few decades.

I mean I'm a non-saving household or was until literally this year. Trying to take care of two people on like 2800$ per month is pretty hard!

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Anecdotally, all the "lot's of Jobs" "great growth" "higher wages" stuff is economics puffery. I got laid off, and no one is paying near my old wage for similar work, most "jobs" I apply for are never filled even though they say it has been, its always still up as a req. The employers that are actually looking for someone are paying wages I made maybe 15 years ago at best. I was at a local store talking to the owner (a friend) and overheard multiple customers talking about their significant other or brother/sister/etc getting laid off in the last two months.

Every time I see "we made 50k more jobs" I wonder, are they full time, do they pay a living wage, or are they 10 bucks and hour, 12 hours a week, because that is what seems to be out there. Its absolutely disheartening that there is this narrative that feels so far from reality to so many.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty much all the books are cooked at every level especially for the data that makes it to the news. It's literally that old joke about Soviet managers at every level inflating the numbers so they look good to Stalin, except real and it's capitalism, baby.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Breyer wasn't sick, though.

People were asking him to resign for a partisan reason because they weren't sure if they would hold the Senate after the midterms.

Nancy is wrong about whether Feinstein should resign, but she is right that basically every other old male Senator was wheeled out onto the floor for years or missed 75% of the votes for a year like McCain did and there weren't large-scale calls from their own party to resign.

Does anyone really believe Feinstein is being called on to resign for anything other than a partisan reason? No one genuinely cares that she’s too old or too sick or a woman, they want more judges confirmed for the democratic party.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mr.Booger posted:

Anecdotally, all the "lot's of Jobs" "great growth" "higher wages" stuff is economics puffery. I got laid off, and no one is paying near my old wage for similar work, most "jobs" I apply for are never filled even though they say it has been, its always still up as a req. The employers that are actually looking for someone are paying wages I made maybe 15 years ago at best. I was at a local store talking to the owner (a friend) and overheard multiple customers talking about their significant other or brother/sister/etc getting laid off in the last two months.

Every time I see "we made 50k more jobs" I wonder, are they full time, do they pay a living wage, or are they 10 bucks and hour, 12 hours a week, because that is what seems to be out there. Its absolutely disheartening that there is this narrative that feels so far from reality to so many.

It's definitely the case that the job situation has been uneven but like, in my area even though things have slightly dropped from the peak of "competing against covidbucks" it's only slightly, everywhere on the low end is still advertising wages that would've been unthinkable 4-5 years ago and a lot of them are STILL desperate to hire. Anecdotally it might be the case that the "10 bucks an hour, 12 hours a week" is what seems to be out there to you because those are the places that are completely unable to hire at the wage they're looking for.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much all the books are cooked at every level especially for the data that makes it to the news. It's literally that old joke about Soviet managers at every level inflating the numbers so they look good to Stalin, except real and it's capitalism, baby.

Do you have actual evidence that "Pretty much all the books are cooked at every level especially for the data that makes it to the news"?

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Oh I have no doubt they are advertising a high wage, I had a couple places advertise a wage just slightly lower than I used to make, and well, I can take a hit starting at the bottom again ..then in the interview they quote something 5-6 dollars less an hour than the advertised rate. I'm not a six-figure salary guy, 10k less a year than the job opening states is a big drop. Again, its all anecdotal, so your area may vary quite abit, but is not a job seekers market by far.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Mr.Booger posted:

Oh I have no doubt they are advertising a high wage, I had a couple places advertise a wage just slightly lower than I used to make, and well, I can take a hit starting at the bottom again ..then in the interview they quote something 5-6 dollars less an hour than the advertised rate. I'm not a six-figure salary guy, 10k less a year than the job opening states is a big drop. Again, its all anecdotal, so your area may vary quite abit, but is not a job seekers market by far.

What happens if you just show them the job ad and ask what the gently caress?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
The only nerd correct about the economy has been Jim Cramer, if you take whatever he says and do the opposite. He's the george costanza of our economy.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

pencilhands posted:

What happens if you just show them the job ad and ask what the gently caress?

The last one said they would offer at the lower rate and I could accept then they would see if they could get it up to the rate listed. Not in writing of course, and only after I signed on. And this red state I live in you aren't eligible for unemployment if you turn down a job within a percentage of your last jobs salary (down to 60% after awhile). Luckily I hadn't filed for unemployment yet because I saved up a cushion + severance pay. Being at my last job for 12 years I can't tell if its a boon or hindrance, I maybe should have done the job-hopping thing to increase my salary and be used to a more agile job environment, but I figured stable income was better (grew up poor).

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Mr.Booger posted:

The last one said they would offer at the lower rate and I could accept then they would see if they could get it up to the rate listed. Not in writing of course, and only after I signed on. And this red state I live in you aren't eligible for unemployment if you turn down a job within a percentage of your last jobs salary (down to 60% after awhile). Luckily I hadn't filed for unemployment yet because I saved up a cushion + severance pay. Being at my last job for 12 years I can't tell if its a boon or hindrance, I maybe should have done the job-hopping thing to increase my salary and be used to a more agile job environment, but I figured stable income was better (grew up poor).

Same thing has happened to me but they said “oh sorry that position is filled but we do have (lovely minimum wage position)open if you’re interested.” how people can be so scummy is beyond me….

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pencilhands posted:

Same thing has happened to me but they said “oh sorry that position is filled but we do have (lovely minimum wage position)open if you’re interested.” how people can be so scummy is beyond me….

Because they are actively rewarded for it.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
In my area, all the ads for jobs with a good wage say poo poo like "wages starting at up to $20" which is phrased to suggest a floor but actually suggests a ceiling.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mr.Booger posted:

This has entirely been my experience with the job market the last 8 years or so. My field was graphic design/printing/sign making and every job I worked or applied for wanted me to know and do more for less pay. So much so that I left the field entirely except for my freelance work.

Morrow posted:

I've heard numerous reports about how people "paid off debt and increased their savings" from the stimulus money, and they weren't just talking about people who didn't really need the money. Then I hear other RWM bullshit about how people bought PS5's and TV's with that money while the government paid them not to work. Regardless, the main message seems to be that giving people $2000 over the course of two years generated all the inflation we have now. I don't know anyone who received extended UEI and the stimulus checks who went "wow, this is loving great!" Myself included.

To me, if giving everyone a $1000 annual raise is enough to gently caress up your economy, then something is wrong with your loving system because that makes zero sense to me.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

BiggerBoat posted:

This has entirely been my experience with the job market the last 8 years or so. My field was graphic design/printing/sign making and every job I worked or applied for wanted me to know and do more for less pay. So much so that I left the field entirely except for my freelance work.

I've heard numerous reports about how people "paid off debt and increased their savings" from the stimulus money, and they weren't just talking about people who didn't really need the money. Then I hear other RWM bullshit about how people bought PS5's and TV's with that money while the government paid them not to work. Regardless, the main message seems to be that giving people $2000 over the course of two years generated all the inflation we have now. I don't know anyone who received extended UEI and the stimulus checks who went "wow, this is loving great!" Myself included.

To me, if giving everyone a $1000 annual raise is enough to gently caress up your economy, then something is wrong with your loving system because that makes zero sense to me.

It wasn’t the stimulus payments that helped people pay down debt, it was the UEI supplement of $600/week on top of whatever unemployment money you got from the state.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Also the $300(?) a month per child

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Plus most people's student loans have been on hold, which lets them use that money to no longer live the Ramen King life.

Edit: Can't wait for the rise of the unemployed couple of orphans, with 3 kids who laughed as they disregarded their student loan principals, who used their massive government subsidies like those commonplace million dollar loans from parents.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 6, 2023

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

brugroffil posted:

Also the $300(?) a month per child

miss this so much

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My anecdotal experience is the exact opposite.

Almost everyday I know is making much more money than they were before the pandemic, and nobody is having trouble finding a job, and people regularly get new jobs for big bumps.

And of course my social circle isn’t fully representative, but it’s not, like, elite. I don’t live in a wealthy area and I have a lot of friends without degrees. Everybody is doing well.

I think we may have reached a point where years of bad governance in red states is starting to make the economies of their states dramatically worse than in blue states. I know BiggerBoat lives in NE Florida and I’’m not sure where you live Mr. Booger but I don’t doubt the situations are similar. Yes, housing prices are terrible, but the experience of “I can’t get a job even taking way less money than before” is totally alien to me right now and sounds like 2009-2010 to me.

I wonder what the federal government can do to help people in states who keep willingly electing terrible leaders. Obviously they do deserve that help. Just because a slightly higher percentage of people in your state vote GOP than in others doesn’t mean you should suffer.

Virginia is only like, what, ten points less Republican than Mississippi? And yet, the people in MS have to live in a hellhole where an overwhelmingly white (and descended from slave holders) legislature can strip the right of self-governance from black cities and let their infrastructure lie in ruins for years. The federal government has to help them. This isn’t their fault.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 6, 2023

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The area I see it the worst is fast food/service, where store hours are being cut and you still see signs everywhere, but I don’t know how you advertise people for that job when it still pays less than everything and is horrible to work

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fast food jobs are horrible and I dream of a day when our job market gets strong enough (or we’re willing to tolerate non-wealthy people being non-workers enough) that nobody needs those horrible, loud, stressful, poorly-scheduled, non-stop-hustle jobs and we can have robots run them. We have the technology.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 6, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I didn’t see this get mentioned anywhere, but the Bud Light boycott worked?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/bud-lights-parent-ceo-disavows-controversial-transgender-influencer-ad/ar-AA1aN7c6

quote:

Transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney overshadowed Anheuser-Busch InBev’s quarterly results this week, as the global beverage giant sought to assure investors the fallout from its controversial partnership can and will be contained.

The company's sales in the U.S. dropped after its Bud Light brand linked up at the start of April with the American social media star, who boasts nearly 11 million followers on TikTok, to promote its low-calorie beer.

The post on Instagram immediately sparked a culture war backlash that led to consumers ditching the brand as part of an apparent grassroots boycott.

Fielding numerous questions from investors on the matter, AB InBev CEO Michel Doukeris disavowed the idea on Thursday.

“We will need to continue to clarify the fact that this was one can, one influencer, one post, and not a campaign, and repeat this message for some time,” Doukeris said on his company's first-quarter earnings call.
drat, but during the whole Hogwarts controversy people seemed pretty confident that boycotts didn’t work?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 6, 2023

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Around here the poo poo jobs have seemed to come to a 50/50 split

One half seems to be attempting to pay a living wage and realizes that they need workers to function

The other can't quite figure out why they need to constantly hire and nobody gives notice when they leave, but it's definitely not the 11.15/hr wage or the "somehow you only have one day off but only get 22 hours"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We definitely dont have the technology, but I can say that if the conditions and pay weren't abysmal I'd rather be in a kitchen than doing data entry or doing 20 minutes of real work a day in between posting on the clock. I think people would be surprised at how quickly "lovely" jobs get volunteered for under an alternative system, and in fact realizing that our hosed up priorities is why I had to pick between supporting myself or using my love of and skill at cooking to better the world a bit was a big radicalizing moment for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Automata 10 Pack posted:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/bud-lights-parent-ceo-disavows-controversial-transgender-influencer-ad/ar-AA1aN7c6

drat, but during the whole Hogwarts controversy people seemed pretty confident that boycotts didn’t work?

They also announced good hard numbers, so it’s more that boycotts work to mildly embarrass the CEO but not necessarily to impact the actual business

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
It's more like proof that you must double down.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Automata 10 Pack posted:

No need for the “a bunch of nameless people were wrong with a position I’m just making up that they had :smug:”. Boycotts ended apartheid; nobody believed they can never seriously believes they can never work.

But this is so hosed up. I’m honestly in disbelief. No, this stuff isn’t as important as legislation. But I can’t remember the last time a right wing culture war[i] boycott won. We’re really losing ground right now. I can’t find the numbers but the percentage of Americans who respect gender identity has gone [i]down since it became a wedge issue.

One slightly encouraging parallel is that support for gay marriage dropped a bit during the 2004 and 2008 elections, when it was hyper politicized, but that didn’t stop the long term trend.

I mean the ultimate avatar of bro culture embracing a trans star was a huge win. It’s really sad it’s turned out this way.

e: not really dad, really sad.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 6, 2023

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Mellow Seas posted:

Fast food jobs are horrible and I dream of a day when our job market gets strong enough (or we’re willing to tolerate non-wealthy people being non-workers enough) that nobody needs those horrible, loud, stressful, poorly-scheduled, non-stop-hustle jobs and we can have robots run them. We have the technology.

Because without the exploitation of labor, there is no profit. So even where it is possible to automate lovely jobs fully away, it will not happen under capitalism.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Epic High Five posted:

We definitely dont have the technology,
Well - maybe not precisely, but we’re pretty close. You could certainly replace a lot of staff. Robots and a person managing them can run a store where you drive to a window and get some lovely food. Not with the same flexibility as human staff but you could make it work. It would definitely be worse. I’ll give you that.

Anyway the second half of the post was more interesting to me:

quote:

but I can say that if the conditions and pay weren't abysmal I'd rather be in a kitchen than doing data entry or doing 20 minutes of real work a day in between posting on the clock. I think people would be surprised at how quickly "lovely" jobs get volunteered for under an alternative system, and in fact realizing that our hosed up priorities is why I had to pick between supporting myself or using my love of and skill at cooking to better the world a bit was a big radicalizing moment for me.
You know, I hadn’t considered this and you’re totally right. There is no reason cooking and giving people burgers has to be agony except for our business culture’s ruthless demands for efficiency.

Just imagine a world where staff can ban an abusive customer for life instead of having to kiss their rear end!

Lumpy posted:

Because without the exploitation of labor, there is no profit. So even where it is possible to automate lovely jobs fully away, it will not happen under capitalism.
Then it’s a good thing our system of government is “representative democracy” and not “capitalism.” Go forth and change some minds*; maybe in a decade or two we’ll be somewhere.

(I suspect somebody or another is about to respond WE’LL ALL BE DEAD BY THEN” so just save it, okay)

* most posters here are horrible at that, including me, as are most people in the world. Some tips for making arguing not entirely futile: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/11/23/13708996/argue-better-science

(Of course the best method of persuasion is approaching an ignorant person and telling them something that makes them feel good about themselves; that’s how QAnon has been successful. Most leftists care about empirical truth so we can’t really use this one very effectively.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 6, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Automata 10 Pack posted:

The Hogwarts Legacy boycott was in favour of trying to protect trans people and deny money to a virulent transphobe. The Bud Light boycott was in favour of trying to hurt trans people and punish entities that would even show tacit support to their existence.

Is it really any wonder why which one failed and which one "succeeded"?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

No need for the “a bunch of nameless people were wrong with a position I’m just making up that they had :smug:”. Boycotts ended apartheid; nobody believed they can never seriously believes they can never work.

But this is so hosed up. I’m honestly in disbelief. No, this stuff isn’t as important as legislation. But I can’t remember the last time a right wing culture war[i] boycott won. We’re really losing ground right now. I can’t find the numbers but the percentage of Americans who respect gender identity has gone [i]down since it became a wedge issue.

One slightly encouraging parallel is that support for gay marriage dropped a bit during the 2004 elections, when it was hyper politicized, but that didn’t stop the long term trend.

I mean the ultimate avatar of bro culture embracing a trans star was a huge win. It’s really dad it’s turned out this way.

The boycott didn't work, the company immediately fired the people involved and threw transgender people under the bus because they agreed with the protesters.

There were plenty of libs ready to buy up all the crappy beer they could in support but AB pissed off both sides, one by accident and the other on purpose.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Mellow Seas posted:

What? The boycott discussion around Hogwarts Legacy was unavoidable.

I’m going to link to a couple examples but spare the thread the corny thumbnails, just showing this wasn’t a personal hallucination I had from a gas leak: link, link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Automata I’m sure people said some pretty stupid things about boycotts in the process of that discussion. I’m not loving watching YouTube commentary videos, period, so I’ll just take your word for it.

E: just realized the irony of putting a comma after “period.”

Yawgmoft posted:

The boycott didn't work, the company immediately fired the people involved and threw transgender people under the bus because they agreed with the protesters.
…yes, that’s what the goal of the right wing boycott was. It did work. :confused: I’m not aware of any pro-trans counter-boycott after they caved to the bigots, but I would certainly support one.

Apparently the overall impact to their sales was less than 1% and it’s already recovering so their shameful reaction was probably also not even necessary from a business standpoint. I suspect anti-trans views from some higher-ups probably played a role.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 6, 2023