Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I didn't see either a thread for abstracts nor a thread for homebrew boardgames on the first two pages of this subforum, so I thought it'd be safe to post here:
I designed a small, simple 2-player abstract boardgame after reading about their history a bit! It's called Cylinders of the Wise, mostly due to the silly Lore I wrote for the game to spice up the rulebook. It's basically about moving 4 units and throwing other units around in order to get your Stone Cylinder to the other end of the board. A bit Hnetatafl-ish, except symmetric?
If anyone's interested, you can download the rules for free here: https://hempuli.itch.io/cylinders-of-the-wise
Playtested it a bit on playingcards.io and it seemed to actually work fairly ok? The game balance didn't seem broken and I had good fun.

Anyway, a big reason why I wanted an excuse to post it here is because I'm quite happy with the physical pieces:

I cut the board from an acrylic canvas and painted it; the hinge was made from an old sock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hempuli posted:

I didn't see either a thread for abstracts nor a thread for homebrew boardgames on the first two pages of this subforum, so I thought it'd be safe to post here:
I designed a small, simple 2-player abstract boardgame after reading about their history a bit! It's called Cylinders of the Wise, mostly due to the silly Lore I wrote for the game to spice up the rulebook. It's basically about moving 4 units and throwing other units around in order to get your Stone Cylinder to the other end of the board. A bit Hnetatafl-ish, except symmetric?
If anyone's interested, you can download the rules for free here: https://hempuli.itch.io/cylinders-of-the-wise
Playtested it a bit on playingcards.io and it seemed to actually work fairly ok? The game balance didn't seem broken and I had good fun.

Anyway, a big reason why I wanted an excuse to post it here is because I'm quite happy with the physical pieces:

I cut the board from an acrylic canvas and painted it; the hinge was made from an old sock.

We actually do have a board game design thread! It doesn't see a wild amount of traffic, but it's active from time to time and always welcoming of new games.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

Any recommendations for games that, in rough order of importance:
- Plays well at 2 players
- Is decent for players inexperienced with board / card / tabletop games
- Is mech themed

I've got a buddy that's interested in getting into the hobby, but I don't currently have a local group for larger games so it'd be just the two of us. He's super into mech video games / anime so I figure that'd be a good theme to start with to get him excited, though I also recognize a lot of mech games tend to be super mechanically heavy and probably not a great thing to toss someone new into.

Depending on your definition of mech themed, Ricochet Robots.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

garthoneeye posted:

Depending on your definition of mech themed, Ricochet Robots.

hahaha outrageous stretch but I'm not even mad :getin:

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Earth Reborn :yeshaha:

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Nobody's recommended AEGIS: Super Combining Robot Tactics yet? For Shame!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

El Fideo posted:

Is this game fun? I like the idea of a Voltron game but it looked like it was kinda all over the place.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

We actually do have a board game design thread! It doesn't see a wild amount of traffic, but it's active from time to time and always welcoming of new games.

Ah, thanks! I had seen that thread a couple years ago but since it didn't seem to be on the first 2 pages, it seemed likely that it had died out since.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Finished the Oathsworn campaign this week!

Really enjoyed the encounter gameplay, and I found the story interesting enough in a beat-by-beat, scenario-by-scenario sense, but came away from the ending with I think a bit more of an understanding of why people who played Mass Effect 3 were bummed out back in the day.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Some Strange Flea posted:

Finished the Oathsworn campaign this week!

Really enjoyed the encounter gameplay, and I found the story interesting enough in a beat-by-beat, scenario-by-scenario sense, but came away from the ending with I think a bit more of an understanding of why people who played Mass Effect 3 were bummed out back in the day.

Oathsworn is so good. We haven't finished it yet, but we're around chapter 12 or 13?

I really like how the developers have a thread per chapter on board game geek where they answer questions. It helped us figure out a few rules gotchas we would have been stuck on.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Thanks for all the robo-recommendations! I've done a bit of googling and some of them definitely look appropriate, but happy to take more recommendations.

El Fideo posted:

This actually seems like it might be the best bet, though I haven't played it - so I'm happy to hear other opinions on it. The theme and combining mechanics are rad and seem like a lot of fun, but the combat itself seems like it might be a bit shallow?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Any recommendations for games that, in rough order of importance:
- Plays well at 2 players
- Is decent for players inexperienced with board / card / tabletop games
- Is mech themed

I've got a buddy that's interested in getting into the hobby, but I don't currently have a local group for larger games so it'd be just the two of us. He's super into mech video games / anime so I figure that'd be a good theme to start with to get him excited, though I also recognize a lot of mech games tend to be super mechanically heavy and probably not a great thing to toss someone new into.

Voltron my guy! Built on a solid system that is expandable into a non-IP world if you care to.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/67426/monsterpocalypse-voltron-defender-universe-battle

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

taser rates posted:

Earth Reborn :yeshaha:

If your definition of 'mech themed' is 'contains one mech', sure!

And it's great for inexperienced players because the first 20 scenarios are the tutorial!

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
6 long years in the making, and it's finally doggo delivery day!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hell yeah congrats! :stoked:

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Anyone had a chance to try the Star Wars take on Star Realms put out by FFG? Everything about it makes me leery but reviews have been super positive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Frozen Peach posted:

Gratz!

kalthir
Mar 15, 2012

Man, the digital implementations of Andean Abyss and Pax Pamir 2e on https://www.rally-the-troops.com/ are so good, but I am just not built for async games.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Their implementation of PP2E annoyed me because it made you click through a lot of non decisions. If you play a card that put down troops it would make you click the right troop and the right map section, even though neither has any choice at all.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

We just played Iberian guage tonight aa our first delve into trainy economic games and it was fun! Is this like paddling pool level similar to 18xx or are they completely different ballparks?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Frozen Peach posted:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Iberian Gauge is a member of the Cube rail family, a term dating back from when the prodution budget didn't stretch to little wooden trains. There's similarities between those and 18XXs: theme, obviously; no (or minimal) luck; few safety rails to ensure everyone has a good time; and most of the gameplay is a mix of auctions and route-building; the need to own a good set of poker chips. They share a lot of the same fans, and designers, but it's a richer genre than just "baby 18XX". IbGauge's track leasing is utterly absent from 18XX games, for instance. There are also many, many central rules in 18XX games that are not included in Cube Rail games, so it's not like one is training you for the other. I would say if you enjoyed it, and would like the experience to go on for 4 hours plus, then it might be worth checking out an 18XX - probably 1889, as a good starter game with a new swish production coming soon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The big fish in the cube rails pond, by the way, is Chicago Express, if you want a very representative sample of the genre. It's on bga, even!

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I always thought Wabash Cannonball was better. Though the new edition looks like a total dogs breakfast. Can't believe RGG got the rights to that one instead of Capstone.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

silvergoose posted:

The big fish in the cube rails pond, by the way, is Chicago Express

dishwasherlove posted:

I always thought Wabash Cannonball was better.

Is there any difference between the two besides the name?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Eclipse question: friends of mine played the 2nd edition on the weekend and loved it but I have vanilla first edition. I recall there are issues with the base game with regard to degenerate missile envy strategies but I guess I'm asking what are the biggest differences aside from the cosmetics between the base 1st edition and 2nd and if there are any issues that would make it a problem to play instead of the one? Or could any issues be proxied away?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is there any difference between the two besides the name?

They have the same BGG page: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31730/wabash-cannonball Which now doesn't show the quite charming Queen Games version, but shows the "dog's breakfast" as dishwasherlove put it. It's notably bad even for RGG. Don't get me wrong; it's a perfectly nice analog drawing of a train, but the title and logo just look so cut-rate. It looks like I made it in Microsoft Word.

Also, big typo: they left off the legendary designer Harry Wu. :thunk:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

They are the same game mechanically yeah.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Also, big typo: they left off the legendary designer Harry Wu. :thunk:

For anyone who does not get the joke Mag's making, notable Cube Rails designer and publisher John Bohrer is a big fan of pseudonyms, including names from other ethnicities. Honestly, I think the funnier story is him using the name of fellow designer Martin Wallace for a pseudonym, which is what happened with Age of Steam. At least that's what Bohrer says. Wallace claims the real Wallace designed it and then got ripped off by an unscrupulous publisher (Bohrer). I take no stance on the facts, but I like the story.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

RGG train component quality can be quite interesting https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3019231/cosmetic-errors

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
The really bad thing about the RGG T&P print is that one of the key components is too large for the spaces on the board it's supposed to go into.

While we're on the topic of Winsomes, I finally managed to acquire a copy of the 1830 cardgame which I've been trying to get for a while, hopefully will get a chance to play it in the near future. Seems quite interesting, really more like a Lokomotive Werks cardgame that happens to be themed after 1830.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How is Teotihuacan: City of Gods? There is a nice looking Deluxe reprint with all expansions. I like Tzolkien, but never picked up any of the designers other games. I've heard on release Teotihuacan had some issues with useless actions (worship, I think), but that expansions have fixed it over time.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

FulsomFrank posted:

Eclipse question: friends of mine played the 2nd edition on the weekend and loved it but I have vanilla first edition. I recall there are issues with the base game with regard to degenerate missile envy strategies but I guess I'm asking what are the biggest differences aside from the cosmetics between the base 1st edition and 2nd and if there are any issues that would make it a problem to play instead of the one? Or could any issues be proxied away?

The designer talks through the rule and component changes in detail here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2024547/designer-notes-second-edition

It's possible to proxy but it will be a huge amount of work.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Iberian Gauge is a member of the Cube rail family, a term dating back from when the prodution budget didn't stretch to little wooden trains. There's similarities between those and 18XXs: theme, obviously; no (or minimal) luck; few safety rails to ensure everyone has a good time; and most of the gameplay is a mix of auctions and route-building; the need to own a good set of poker chips. They share a lot of the same fans, and designers, but it's a richer genre than just "baby 18XX". IbGauge's track leasing is utterly absent from 18XX games, for instance. There are also many, many central rules in 18XX games that are not included in Cube Rail games, so it's not like one is training you for the other. I would say if you enjoyed it, and would like the experience to go on for 4 hours plus, then it might be worth checking out an 18XX - probably 1889, as a good starter game with a new swish production coming soon.

silvergoose posted:

The big fish in the cube rails pond, by the way, is Chicago Express, if you want a very representative sample of the genre. It's on bga, even!

Awesome thanks for those replies. I'll definitely check out Chicago Express on BGA and then work on convincing some friends to try an 18xx game on TTS before spending any real dubloons. 4 hours MIGHT be a tough sell, but we've done War of the Ring, Tomesaga in one go, and are planning Dune soon which is also a multi hour marathon commitment (potentially)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

There's also 18xx.games, which takes care of the rules enforcement. Whooooole lotta titles on there!

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Alright I just read through the rules for Sidereal Confluence and now I'm really hyped to get this to the table. It wasn't nearly as complex as I thought it would be. Any teaching tips for this one, for a player count of 5-6?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

million dollar mack posted:

Alright I just read through the rules for Sidereal Confluence and now I'm really hyped to get this to the table. It wasn't nearly as complex as I thought it would be. Any teaching tips for this one, for a player count of 5-6?

Encourage everyone to just get trades done instead of nickel and diming each other for more favorable trades. The game is more about volume of trades than getting a good deal and a good player makes everyone more productive by acting early and often. A table full of players with this approach makes the game really sing. Get creative with circular trades, future promises for something now (remind everyone that all deals are binding), etc.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Make sure to mention that every trade is going to benefit both people to some extent, and it's better to mostly focus on getting your game going even if it slightly helps the other player. As long as you're not doing incredibly lopsided trades then you're going to have a good shot at winning.

Otherwise the game is going to grind to a halt.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

silvergoose posted:

There's also 18xx.games, which takes care of the rules enforcement. Whooooole lotta titles on there!

18xx.games is such a treat. Incredible website. Toby is a mensch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

We sent this video to everyone to watch before the first time we played and it worked out very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqfgV9xE7t8

Our only hang up was that one guy refused to do anything that didn't line up with the Conversion chart and it was maddening. He changed that after a couple rounds when nobody wanted to work with him.