Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

has anybody ever tried engaging ganon in open and honest dialogue. he may have legitimate grievances and should be allowed to speak his truth
he tried that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Eiba posted:

So like, without spoilers, do folks know what their angle is? I'm probably gonna get it 'cause it's been ages since I played Breath of the Wild back on the Wii U, but I can't bring myself to get that hyped about this new game 'cause I can't imagine a premise a fraction as compelling as the first coming out of this. What's the theoretical appeal of Tears of the Kingdom? I've only really seen the trailers.

I have only watched the trailers, not any of the game play or leaked stuff. I think exploring the same map and seeing how things have changed is inherently interesting. I used to live abroad and one thing I really want to do is go back to the places I’ve lived and see how they have grown. Plus it looks like between the sky islands and caves/dungeons, there will be plenty of different stuff to do.

I imagine they’ll find some creative ways to change up the landscape. A bunch of islands floated up to the sky I assume, so maybe that changed the land.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

has anybody ever tried engaging ganon in open and honest dialogue. he may have legitimate grievances and should be allowed to speak his truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKz37UUKDVs

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Cat Machine posted:

he tried that

Someone should have hired castle guards with eyes then they might have been able to see the very evil dude right in front of them

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Me want Zelda.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

I can't tell if that's Link or Zelda?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Cracking the egg, waking the Wind Fish

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Cleared out 2 Divine Beasts in one session! And oh boy was the goron one a pain to get to. Specially since I didn't realize I had to use the cannons on it until I reached the final one. And had I known I'd get free swimming gear I'd have done the Zora one way earlier.

Now all that's left is the Gerudo questline and 3 memories (Spring of Power I think since the other 2 I visited, a horse statue and a forest) and I could go to the final boss after getting Hylian Shield for coolness.

...well, that and my indecision about whether to buy a house, ancestral shield for guardians or another Great Fairy for better armor cause the DLC Phantom one is still the best I have and I still take 10+ hearts frol hard enemies.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It won't be just the same map there's new stuff to explore. I am curious to see how much of the overworld stays the same but yah I wouldn't worry about it feeling like a retread based on stuff I've seen

So I guess the main appeal / angle is that it's a new breath of the wild with new stuff to explore/learn and an entirely new story w new lore and character and items and enemies and game mechanics.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 6, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

neato burrito posted:

Yes.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Please don’t deadname Zelda in the Nintendo Switch thread.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

remember, you can't spell Sheik without she (and IK)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks for everyone's thoughtful responses! I'm a lot more hyped for Zelda than I was before.

Pirate Radar posted:

I think from what we know (just from previews—I haven’t checked out what people playing the pirated copies are saying) the premise is… arguably kind of similar? From what I can tell it’s like this:

A hundred years ago, the Calamity, the Sheikah and their technology, yadda yadda, the plot of BotW, you know this.

But a thousand years ago, or something, Ganondorf was around, and a tribe called the Zonai fought him, and couldn’t defeat him sealed him away underground. The Zonai had advanced stuff just like the Sheikah and they used it to build floating sky islands, maybe to escape the surface? The sky islands then went away or were hidden. Some of their ruined structures are still around in the Hyrule we saw in BotW, but at the start of TotK something happens that brings back the sky islands. Then Link has to go on an adventure through a changed Hyrule, plus the sky islands and new underground areas, so you’re still exploring ruins of a people who failed to permanently defeat the evil and it’s still a bit lonely.

There’s probably also time travel involved in the plot so Link might also be traveling to the past to fight Ganondorf or rescue Zelda.
Cool! Even if it's not exactly this, there are enough ideas here that I can imagine some interesting directions for the game to go. I'm happy to be surprised by the specifics when the game comes out.

I was going to say that time travel might not work well with the open world, but actually it might work very well if you can, for instance, check out a town at different time periods. I'm not going to assume they're doing that in particular, but there are enough possibilities there for me to feel some of the hype.

Slowpoke! posted:

I have only watched the trailers, not any of the game play or leaked stuff. I think exploring the same map and seeing how things have changed is inherently interesting. I used to live abroad and one thing I really want to do is go back to the places I’ve lived and see how they have grown. Plus it looks like between the sky islands and caves/dungeons, there will be plenty of different stuff to do.

I imagine they’ll find some creative ways to change up the landscape. A bunch of islands floated up to the sky I assume, so maybe that changed the land.
I wasn't sure how much time could have passed, so I was assuming there couldn't be many changes if they were picking right up after Breath of the Wild, but in principle I agree with this. It would be nice and gratifying to check in on people again. Time shenanigans would make this more appealing- either a larger time skip, or somehow visiting the past or whatever.

Revisiting Cinnabar Island in Pokemon Gold to find out it had been destroyed by a volcano was formative video game memory for me. It was very melancholy in a good way. Becoming familiar with an environment and dealing with it changing is a good feeling that Tears of the Kingdom could explore.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Tears of the MAGAverse

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
So I made the mistake of buying ToTK using the vouchers so now I have another voucher burning a hole in my pocket. Making the relatively safe assumption that ToTK is the last big game on this thing (Pikmin 4 sort of interests me but I never clicked with 3) I figure I am limited to the list as it exists now. The problem is there are a lot of games on that list that I want a lot!

Here's my shortlist:
Fire Emblem Engage
Metroid Dread
Skyward Sword
Hyrule Warriors AoC
Link's Awakening
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Hyrule Warriors DE

Does anyone have any specific things to warn me off? I think AoC has some pretty hefty performance problems.

The last FE I played was Awakening? It was on DS I think and I think it had Lucina in? I liked it but back then I never stuck with a game (some things never change, I'll finish XC3 one day I promise...).

I have never finished a metroid or any metroidvania for that matter so Dread is somewhat tempting as a supposedly more accessible entry in the series?

Link's Awakening was my favourite Zelda until BoTW but I also really loved Skyward Sword but am a lefty so struggled to actually play the game back in the day.

Warriors games just kind of look like a good time? Are they like EDF at all I just want a game where I kill hundreds of things.

These are my notes and my request, please help me.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

LeFishy posted:

So I made the mistake of buying ToTK using the vouchers so now I have another voucher burning a hole in my pocket. Making the relatively safe assumption that ToTK is the last big game on this thing (Pikmin 4 sort of interests me but I never clicked with 3) I figure I am limited to the list as it exists now. The problem is there are a lot of games on that list that I want a lot!

Here's my shortlist:
Fire Emblem Engage
Metroid Dread
Skyward Sword
Hyrule Warriors AoC
Link's Awakening
Hyrule Warriors DE

Does anyone have any specific things to warn me off? I think AoC has some pretty hefty performance problems.

The last FE I played was Awakening? It was on DS I think and I think it had Lucina in? I liked it but back then I never stuck with a game (some things never change, I'll finish XC3 one day I promise...).

I have never finished a metroid or any metroidvania for that matter so Dread is somewhat tempting as a supposedly more accessible entry in the series?

Link's Awakening was my favourite Zelda until BoTW but I also really loved Skyward Sword but am a lefty so struggled to actually play the game back in the day.

Warriors games just kind of look like a good time? Are they like EDF at all I just want a game where I kill hundreds of things.

I found Metroid Dread very challenging in some boss fights but overall really enjoyed it.
Link's Awakening is great but just too short of a game to justify using the voucher.

I was going to use my 2nd one on Skyward Sword but ended up getting the new Mario Party for the occasional time when friends come over but I found it fun against computers while listening to podcasts/youtube lectures.
I would probably suggest one of the Hyrule Warriors games. I have the DE one and it is chock full of content to last you tons of hours. I finished the campaign but I'm still working through the first adventure map and there are several Adventure maps.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Both of the Hyrule Warrior games are good if you like that type of game.

AoC has a neat story but some serious performance issues. Warriors has, and I cannot stress this enough, a metric fuckton of content.
These games (Dynasty Warrior adjacent) are repetitive and not all that complex. The fun is smashing thousands of minions with ridiculous weapons and the enormous roster of unique characters to play.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Metroid Dread is an amazing game. It is not easy (boss wise) but it is fair, if that makes sense. Also I haven’t played it but own it, and three houses is supposed to be a very good fire emblem

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I wonder what the Amiibo items will be this time. I have a bunch of LoZ ones, so I hope I can play as Links Awakening version lol

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Age of Calamity is currently top runner because I remember enjoying the demo a lot but I’m worried about going too hard on the Zelda this week… I still need to wrap up champions ballad!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

LeFishy posted:

Here's my shortlist:
Fire Emblem Engage
Metroid Dread
Skyward Sword
Hyrule Warriors AoC
Link's Awakening
Hyrule Warriors DE

not a warning as much as a recommendation, but speaking as someone who's beaten Three Houses twice and is partway through two other playthroughs and is halfway through Engage at the moment, both feel like quite different games but i also really, really like both. i haven't played Awakening but if i had to guess, Engage would be closer to it than 3H. can't go wrong either way tho

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

LeFishy posted:

Here's my shortlist:
Fire Emblem Engage
Metroid Dread
Skyward Sword
Hyrule Warriors AoC
Link's Awakening
Hyrule Warriors DE

Nothing to warn you off of really, there's a solid list there. I would possibly recommend Three Houses? You seem like you're interested in the Musou type games and that opens up Fire Emblem: Three Hopes for your interest later on.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I see a lean towards strategy so why not Triangle Strategy? Three Houses is such an exhaustingly large game that I can't imagine playing it concurrently with Zelda. Personally thinking the real strategy game choice comes down to Engage vs. TriStrat

taking the list as-is I would pick Age of Calamity. it's just pretty great as far as musou games on the platform go. top 3 at worst

Ramie fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 6, 2023

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Though Three Hopes is a pretty tepid Musou game, imo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Get Kirby and the Forgotten Land instead.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
Thank you all for confirming my increasing desire to play AoC :)

It’s the fact that I enjoyed the demo a million years ago and boy do I just flipping love everything about botw

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

American McGay posted:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

LeFishy posted:

Thank you all for confirming my increasing desire to play AoC :)

It’s the fact that I enjoyed the demo a million years ago and boy do I just flipping love everything about botw

If you loved everything about BOTW and jive with the Warriors gameplay you should absolutely get AOC, it does a stellar job of expanding upon the BOTW lore and characters

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

American McGay posted:

you know what, yea

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

kirby is a masterpiece

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Hyrule Warriors DE is so much game. I didn’t play AoC but HW was really good, a lot of cool zelda fan service stuff and Adventure mode was great. You get to play as Skull Kid; it’s neat.

But also Kirby

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I tried Kirby a while back and it just didn’t do it for me :( I played the first couple of levels and then put it down until my sister asked for it back.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It might be my favorite Switch game. The level design is like the perfect combination of 3D World short singular ideas + Odyssey effort and attention to detail.

Oh god and the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c20z8hbRwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H77rFxIyrl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HzkMxiL3Zo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

LeFishy posted:

I tried Kirby a while back and it just didn’t do it for me :( I played the first couple of levels and then put it down until my sister asked for it back.

skill issue

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

symbolic posted:

skill issue

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

symbolic posted:

skill issue

Almost definitely

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

...well, that and my indecision about whether to buy a house, ancestral shield for guardians or another Great Fairy for better armor cause the DLC Phantom one is still the best I have and I still take 10+ hearts frol hard enemies.

you should buy the house

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

neato burrito posted:

In the newer games they look like brother and sister so that tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Cat Machine posted:

he tried that