Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
New structure deck for Master Duel is Blackwings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Skios posted:

I hate to say it but it’s a good choice. They’re a deck that’s always gonna be at least rogue.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If it has the DABL support then its plenty competent and consistent.
full armor master is a house, and chinook is a really good handtrap your opponent probably cant respond to if you activate it in the damage step

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 4, 2023

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Skios posted:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Blackwings are eternal. All hail Crow.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys. My warhammer friends want to seduce me into playing their Yu-gi-oh filth, what are some ways i can teach myself the game to surprise them and beat them when they play their first game with me.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys. My warhammer friends want to seduce me into playing their Yu-gi-oh filth, what are some ways i can teach myself the game to surprise them and beat them when they play their first game with me.

Your best bet is probably getting into Master Duel and going through the tutorials and solo gates. That will teach you all the rules and give you an idea about various decks and playstyles. From there you should have enough gems and resources to start building a more competitive deck, so just look up resources on what kind of playstyle you are interested in playing and what decks would be a good fit for that playstyle while still being relatively competitive .

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
If you're playing with specific people and know what they play, I suggest finding something that specifically makes that gameplay style hard and get really good at that. Just to give them headaches.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Just keep in mind that Master Duel operates under a different rule set, so what works there won't nessissarily be as good in cardboard.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Thanks will get master duel and try it out!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Master Duel's gonna be great to get a vibe of both the rules, and the sort of cards you like.

However, I do still recommend finding out what aort of decks your friends play, not just because it'd be funny to counter them, but in large part to get a feel for how serious they're taking it. You don't want to turn up to a friendly event where everyone's playing low-powered favorite decks with modern meta-defining power players--but at the same token, you also don't want to turn up with a 'this looks cute and fun' pet deck when everyone else is basically competing with world championship-tenor decks.

We can probably help you with all that with the right info. Like, are they playing the physical game, or with some kind of simulator? Do you know the names of any decks your friends play? And while it's probably hard to gauge especially early, do you know the sort of deck you want to play?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Master Duel's gonna be great to get a vibe of both the rules, and the sort of cards you like.

However, I do still recommend finding out what aort of decks your friends play, not just because it'd be funny to counter them, but in large part to get a feel for how serious they're taking it. You don't want to turn up to a friendly event where everyone's playing low-powered favorite decks with modern meta-defining power players--but at the same token, you also don't want to turn up with a 'this looks cute and fun' pet deck when everyone else is basically competing with world championship-tenor decks.

We can probably help you with all that with the right info. Like, are they playing the physical game, or with some kind of simulator? Do you know the names of any decks your friends play? And while it's probably hard to gauge especially early, do you know the sort of deck you want to play?

Ok im joking about actually beating them i dont want to spend any money on yu gi oh and i plan on playing whatever cards they have on hand lol

I just want to learn how to play the game so i know what im doing when i play against them, i cant afford another hobby alongside warhammer so i dont actually want to go through the process a million packs and boxes just to have a decent deck unless there was some way to buy an exact cards i want or whatever.

Ill try out the game on steam and learn as much as i can before i commit to physically buying any

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

And while not 100% up to date, Legacy of the Duelist: Link Evolution is a fairly simple way to get a bunch of cards and toy around with various decks without being limited by MD's gems.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1150640/YuGiOh_Legacy_of_the_Duelist__Link_Evolution/

There's currently a 75% off sale.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
If you want your own deck, the most recent structure deck (Traptrix) should still be easy enough to find and turn into a functional deck by simply buying three copies and combining all the best cards into a 40 card deck + 15 card extra deck + 15 card side deck. Out of the box it's versatile enough, and it can easily be upgraded into something more powerful on a relatively small budget.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah unlike a lot of card games yugioh structure decks are usually pretty playable

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Three copies of the Salamangreat deck in Master Duel gives you basically 90% of a competitive deck, and has some cards that are pretty universally good for Cyberse archetypes as well

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah. There's a number of structure decks in the Master Duel store that could easily be turned into something playable on ladder with the addition of a few staples. Just a heads up though. Master Duel is currently basically dominated by a very powerful deck, and with at least another month before that pack leaves the store, there's no bans on the horizon to fix that situation. If you just want to dick around in the lower ranks it's not likely that you'll run into it though.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
If you are willing to do a crash course into advanced mechanics or strategy of Yu-Gi-Oh, it is currently inexpensive to build the currently strongest deck in master duel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yilr1lrs06E (This video is slightly out of date with the most recent banlist.)

Keep in mind that you will have to learn the various interactions and rulings that these cards imply and that they may been hit by the banlist soon (though I imagine that the deck would still be decently strong after limitations or bans from the Master Duel banlist).

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Al-Saqr posted:

i dont actually want to go through the process a million packs and boxes just to have a decent deck unless there was some way to buy an exact cards i want or whatever.

There are websites like TCGPlayer devoted to letting you pick up specific cards without having to go through the hassle of buying randomized product. Keep in mind though that some decks are STILL expensive to put together just because all their cards only exist at high rarities, while other decks might have 1 or 2 key cards that exist at high rarity only and therefor demand a huge price tag while everything else is pennies.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Speaking of structure decks, Australian customs is STILL holding a crate of Traptrix hostage lmao

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Speaking of structure decks, Australian customs is STILL holding a crate of Traptrix hostage lmao

Lol why?! Thats crazy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol why?! Thats crazy

No loving idea. The place I ordered from said "uhh ETA April?" at the end of March and then halfway through April said "yeah we got no ETA anymore"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
While I don't know why they're doing that, I also am entirely unsurprised they're doing it, given what I know about Australian customs and restrictions.

I wouldn't be surprised if Traptrix tripped alarms for our weirdly arcane and nonsense adult content restrictions that come up every couple years and then immediately get dropped out of the news cycle because it's loving impossible to actually report on without looking like a creep.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

hosed up that albo hates monster girls

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah Id say get into the Master duel solo gates to learn how the game is, then drop into one of the simulators for actually testing decks.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Datamine confirming the leaks: https://www.masterduelmeta.com/articles/news/may-07-2023/master-duel-datamines

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Just saw a notice for an upcoming update to MD:

-Cards will now have an icon when they’ve used a once per turn effect

-You can open up to 100 bonus packs at a time

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Regalingualius posted:

Just saw a notice for an upcoming update to MD:

-Cards will now have an icon when they’ve used a once per turn effect

-You can open up to 100 bonus packs at a time

Can I dust the cards from those packs yet? I have 7 Jinzo XYZ guys. Please god give me my gems.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
It seems that the "Legacy Pack" option is now permanently shown under the "Bonus Pack" section whereas the option would have only shown up if you had any legacy packs when you opened the section.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Can I dust the cards from those packs yet? I have 7 Jinzo XYZ guys. Please god give me my gems.

Unfortunately no.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I really wish the release of a Master Duel structure deck would come with the same rush of content creators posting guides and stuff that you get with the release of a TCG structure deck.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Skios posted:

I really wish the release of a Master Duel structure deck would come with the same rush of content creators posting guides and stuff that you get with the release of a TCG structure deck.

Be the change you want to see!

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I have nowhere near the basic competence needed, whether it comes to Yu-Gi-Oh or video productin.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
This should in MD notification, but just in case, there is knowledge quiz:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I hope the sleeve is not as ugly as that background. I thought it was a glitch at first.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok i found out what the physical card decks my yu gi oh friends have

traptrix
branded,
swordswoul-yangzing,
@ignister,
conclave control

What should i pick and watch out for? What should i try to do to beat them?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Traptrix structure deck is named Beware of Traptrix so beware of it I guess :newlol:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Al-Saqr posted:

traptrix
branded,
swordswoul-yangzing,
@ignister,
conclave control

Branded and swordsoul are the two strongest out of those decks, so those ones I would focus on learning how to counterplay, but honestly a big part of competitive yugioh is learning the ins and outs of *every deck*, since if you don't know the chokepoints and counterplay against almost any competent strategy they can take advantage of it and defeat you much easier.

As far as what deck you should play, it honestly just depends on what kind of playstyle you like. If money's not an issue the current top deck is Kashtira which would do well against all those decks, but if you want something more casual and for fun (and that likely won't get hit on the banlist in a few months or so) I'd just ask your friends what decks they like and why, and playtest some of them in an unofficial simulator like EDOPRO or Duelingbook

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
As a beginner against those deck, maybe Mathmech or Purrely? Your focus would be bringing out your super tower that can ram them over and ignore majority of their gimmick and counterplay.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Nyaa posted:

As a beginner against those deck, maybe Mathmech or Purrely? Your focus would be bringing out your super tower that can ram them over and ignore majority of their gimmick and counterplay.

Im not gonna buy my own cards im gonna pick one of theirs to play with

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

traptrix
branded,
swordswoul-yangzing,
@ignister,
conclave control

When you say Swordsoul-yangzing, do you know if the yangzing part is just extra deck monsters or is there a bigger package? If it's "pure" Swordsoul that's probably the easiest to learn out of those decks and it's pretty powerful. The basic line going first is:
- Normal summon Mo Ye, reveal a Swordsoul or Wyrm card in your hand to summon a tuner token
- Synchro summon Chixiao. Trigger Chixiao (search a card) as chain link 1, trigger Mo Ye (draw a card) as chain link 2
- When Chixiao resolves search for Longyuan. If you already have Longyuan or a way to get it then search Swordsoul Blackout instead
- Use Longyuan's effect (discarding a Wyrm or Swordsoul card) to summon itself and a token, synchro summon Baronne de Fleur
This leaves you with a monster negate on Chixiao, a "negate anything" on Baronne and ideally a trap that can destroy two cards. It's pretty reliable since you can do it with Mo Ye, Swordsoul Emergence (can add Mo Ye to your hand) or Ecclesia (summons Mo Ye from deck). You can also make a similar play with Taia as long as you can get a Swordsoul/Wyrm into your GY.

Past turn one there are a lot of more involved plays you can make. Some notable options you may have access to are Ecclesia (she can summon herself from hand without using your normal summon if your opponent has more monsters than you, so you can potentially go for both Mo Ye and Taia), Baxia (an excellent option to make with Taia, you can wipe out two of your opponent's cards and potentially get back a Mo Ye you sent to the GY with Taia's effect to make further plays) and Chengying (an alternate monster you can make with Longyuan, he can get huge and has a very powerful removal effect).