Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

kronix posted:

I’ve been on this path with the same poster, if you’ve worked for a defense contractor you’re a baby killing CIA agent according to some people.

Please don't insult the brave intelligence officers who protect us and the people who arm them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh I'm curious about that since I don't know much about large alcohol companies and when they started associating with Pride events.

Also to be very exact I'd say it's a leading indicator for the economy, a lagging indicator for societal acceptance.

Anecdotal but the two explicit gay bars in my city (p much everywhere here is trans/gay friendly unless you hit the city limits) have had bud light signage plastered all over the place for at least the 20 or so years I've been going.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

kronix posted:

I’ve been on this path with the same poster, if you’ve worked for a defense contractor you’re a baby killing CIA agent according to some people.

I did have lunch with a former director of the CIA (Colby, 1994) and my company's name's first two words are DEEP STATE ....

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VideoGameVet posted:

I did have lunch with a former director of the CIA (Colby, 1994) and my company's name's first two words are DEEP STATE ....

tell me more

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I didn’t see this get mentioned anywhere, but the Bud Light boycott worked?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/bud-lights-parent-ceo-disavows-controversial-transgender-influencer-ad/ar-AA1aN7c6

drat, but during the whole Hogwarts controversy people seemed pretty confident that boycotts didn’t work?

Well drat and I was SO close to start making it a habit to drink disgusting piss water every day from all this!!!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Is the "success" of the Bud Light hissy fit actually any sort of road map for future actions against evil woke corporations? It seems like a very fringe case that only had any real success because the huge corporation's transgression was an incidental one off ad. The specific brand had negligible losses while the overall corporation saw expected or greater gains.

If they go after an actual planned move against a corporation, it seems like it would take more than a couple weeks for actual capitulation. I mean, the extent of InBev's folding here seems to be pointing out that it was a one off ad, not a campaign, and they aren't planning on doing anything similar. They still seem to be planing the usual rainbow capitalism, just not printing a one off 6-pack with a trans person on the cans again.

Meanwhile all other online uprisings against wokeness in media and commerce have been laughable social media winning and predictions about how such and such is totally going to fail because there's a woman or minority race person in the lead role. The only other salvo in their war is having DeSantis repeatedly get owned by Disney. A company that has oddly yet to go broke despite putting out so much woke content.

Edit: For instance Nike has been canceled by the online Right like 3 or 4 times, just to come back and get canceled yet again. Also I believe Disney has been constantly under fire for one sin against morality or another since at least the 90s.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 7, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There's just hundreds of way more better reasons not to buy or drink Bud Light than this stupid thing.

Main one being it's complete piss water.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

BiggerBoat posted:

There's just hundreds of way more better reasons not to buy or drink Bud Light than this stupid thing.

Main one being it's complete piss water.

And for some reason it's just as expensive, or more expensive as "good" beer. ~20 bucks for a 12 pack around here.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Can’t believe that whole thing was because some marketing person had a trans person’s face printed on a can as a one-off Instagram post. For a company that big, they must be doing that type of marketing a dozen times a day. I doubt anyone put too much thought into the whole thing, and it set off a wildfire on the right.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

VideoGameVet posted:

I found out my girlfriend's dad knows Kissinger because his dad was a full colonel in the Air Force.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Slowpoke! posted:

Can’t believe that whole thing was because some marketing person had a trans person’s face printed on a can as a one-off Instagram post. For a company that big, they must be doing that type of marketing a dozen times a day. I doubt anyone put too much thought into the whole thing, and it set off a wildfire on the right.

It didn't "set off" anything. Right wing media relies on repeatedly engineering stupid rage bait poo poo like this.

If it weren't that it'd be something else.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 7, 2023

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It didn't "set off" anything. Right wing media relies on repeatedly engineering stupid rage bait poo poo like this.

People need jobs, including people working in right wing media, and these people's friends also don't want them to gently caress off, and it's not their fault that the right wing media-sphere is larger and has more job openings.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

fizzy posted:

People need jobs, including people working in right wing media, and these people's friends also don't want them to gently caress off, and it's not their fault that the right wing media-sphere is larger and has more job openings.

Yeah, it's real funny how a lot of these right-wing grifters are just failed entertainers in some way. Ben Shapiro, failed screenwriter (it also explains why Daily Wire has a movie studio wing); Matt Walsh, failed radio shock jock (he jumped 3 markets in 3 years before getting popular with his right-wing blog); Steven Crowder, failed comedian; Candace Owens, failed actress; Michael Knowles, failed actor (his biggest part was being an extra on "The Knick").

I mean, it syncs up with failed painter Adolf Hitler.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They call it 'wingnut welfare' for a reason, journalism is a well known daycare network for failchildren who are just barely coherent and capable enough to produce propaganda after failing out of everything else.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Young Freud posted:

And Himmler was a failed chicken farmer.

Like Ghost Leviathan says, the US media landscape is just weird with all these extremely stupid people running around being "personalities". Youtube tells me this clip is about old enough to vote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQFB5YpDZE, and it's just basically Jon Stewart telling idiots that they are idiots. Of course Tuck-tuck finally failed enough to get thrown out on his dumb harassing rear end, but it's a disgrace that he got to be a Limbaugh plus for so long.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

It is kind of funny that this is the poo poo that finally stuck after all their flings. A one time novelty can/6-pack with someone's face on it. Given all their other attempts as a list and in a knowledge vacuum, I would have taken Ben Shapiro flipping out over WAP 100 times out of 100 as the thing that actually got traction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's real funny how a lot of these right-wing grifters are just failed entertainers in some way. Ben Shapiro, failed screenwriter (it also explains why Daily Wire has a movie studio wing); Matt Walsh, failed radio shock jock (he jumped 3 markets in 3 years before getting popular with his right-wing blog); Steven Crowder, failed comedian; Candace Owens, failed actress; Michael Knowles, failed actor (his biggest part was being an extra on "The Knick").

Dave Rubin was a failed stand-up comic who’s whole bit was gay jokes because he’s gay

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The crying nazi from Charlottesville was a failed comedian as well.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kronix posted:

Yeah, he was being sarcastic OP. Gumball Gumption is a dear friend so I can read him like a book. He can be quite dry so I understand your confusion.

Regarde Aduck posted:

that's not as catchy as 'just following orders'

Automata 10 Pack posted:

If you have the credentials to work for Lockheed you can find a decent job elsewhere. You are not someone looking to “get by”.

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't think working for Lockheed Martin or General Dynamics is really the kind of thing I can excuse under the "no ethical existence in capitalism" rule. Like goddamn have at least some standards. Not everyone can do something they believe in, but I don't believe for a second that someone capable of doing whatever the hell a person does for those companies wouldn't have options elsewhere.
Let's first off have some perspective that this country is not loving Nazi Germany.

And there are a people who work for GD who are highly credentialed engineers and stuff, but they also have a shitton of unionized blue collar workers; welders, pipe fitters, carpenters, etc. And people without degrees can make good money and have job security and labor protections.

It's just one of those things, I guess, where sometimes the goon attitude feels like,

"Okay, those people are bigots, write them off."
"Okay, those people actively want others to suffer, write them off."
"Okay, these people exploit others to build extravagant wealth, write them off."

And I'm totally on board up until this point. But then we keep going, right?

"Okay, those people are ignorant about trans women in sports. Write them off."
"Okay, these people are cops, write them off."
"Okay, these people served in wars, write them off."
"Okay, these people voted for somebody who supported a war, write them off."
"Okay, these people rented out a property to somebody, write them off."

And then... you keep chipping and chipping away, taking aspects of people and declaring them total all-encompassing black marks on their character, dismissing them as agents of "outright evil" and putting them on your list of those to go up against the wall. And you chip, and you chip, and you chip, until the amount of people left who are deemed sufficiently moral could barely fill a college football stadium. And then you wonder why your populist movement isn't taking off.

You can think whatever you want about people who work in defense. But when you meet them - and it's millions of people, so you certainly meet a lot - tell them to their face that you consider them to be equivalent to Nazis "just following orders." Tell them they have blood on their hands. Hell, some of them might even feel guilty and you might push them into quitting!

But most of them will just loving hate you.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

drat, the people working hard to slaughter humans will hate me. Oh no.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend Brendan is a really fun guy and you would be sad if he hated you, trust me.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Mellow Seas posted:

My friend Brendan is a really fun guy and you would be sad if he hated you, trust me.

I'd also be sad after his work exploded my family.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
It's real weird that cops aren't near the top of your shitlist if I am being honest. Like, less bad than the implied capitalists of your 3rd listed group, but that's basically it.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Byzantine posted:

drat, the people working hard to slaughter humans will hate me. Oh no.

The Nazis were not defeated with words social pressure. They were defeated with tanks, planes, ships trucks and people with guns.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Failboattootoot posted:

It's real weird that cops aren't near the top of your shitlist if I am being honest. Like, less bad than the implied capitalists of your 3rd listed group, but that's basically it.
I mean, everybody can have a shitlist, and cops are a good group to put on it. You just have to keep it to a certain length, you know?

90%+ of cops get caught in "bigots" or "pro-suffering" anyway.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Skex posted:

The Nazis were not defeated with words social pressure. They were defeated with tanks, planes, ships trucks and people with guns.

Do you cheer for the Russian military since it killed Nazis 80 years ago?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Feeling like it’s gonna be a bloody summer.

https://twitter.com/davidbegnaud/status/1655258866328674305?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

quote:

BROWNSVILLE, Texas (ValleyCentral) – Brownsville police say seven people are dead Sunday morning and it appears they were intentionally run over by a motorist.

The incident happened at 8:30 a.m. near Minnesota Road and North Bernal Road in front of the Ozanam Center, which is a shelter for migrants and homeless.

Lt. Martin Sandoval said seven victims died at the scene who died and another four to six victims were taken to area hospitals.

Sandoval said the driver was arrested on charged with reckless driving. Sandoval said more charges will likely be filed. He said it is looking more and more like an intentional act.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

every tax paying, voting american is ultimately complicit in America's war machine

Sov Cit is the only truly moral stance

I basically don't really get where you draw the line. Not every job at Lockheed Martin is going to be someone designing better ways to kill people. If those positions are tainted too, then is every other company and job that is contracted by Lockheed Martin? Every product/software/etc. that allows Lockheed to do what they do?

It's very nice to think about a world where everyone quits Lockheed Martin to work at something more ethical, and they cease to exist, but it just feels like an impossibility.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 7, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

And yet this is how RWM posits your average "radical left wing democrat"

That we're easily triggered, defensive about everything, can't suck it up snowflake, are so easily offended and, finally, leading into cancel culture. And now, cancel culture has come for the shittiest ALL AMERICAN beer even made. As a regular beer drinker, not sure how that dings me at all but it;s all just so weird and built off of projection.

It's like the reverse of the Chic Fil A or Hobby Lobby "boycotts" where all these yahoos would only eat or shop at those specific places and went out of their way to spend money there.

God drat, these people really hate gay sex or anything adjacent to it. I know exactly ONE trans person in my day to day experience - a coworker at my job - and, you know...even if I have to make some slight adjustments in the way I communicate and even if I don't entirely GET it (since I'm just a regular old white male), it's really no skin off my back or any kind of major infringement on my day to just adapt my pronouns and more or less just be polite and nice to Alex.

I rather old and I keep thinking about all these weird battles that conservatives have fought over my 5 decades. Interracial relationships, gay people men...all sorts of dumb poo poo. Men with long hair, people with tattoos, men with earrings, midnight showings of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, rock bands and artists engaging in gender bending, Madonna, Prince, Bowie, gangster rap...gay marriage.

All of it was the end of civilization as we know it and an affront to God that's all part of some weird fight built on personal hangups. And they call us triggered snowflakes who can't suck it up.

Remember Freedom Fries? D&D games leading to satanic worship? A black president? They're terrified of every loving thing.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

wonderful that the headline calls it an accident

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The linked article has a different headline, Twitter must have caches it before they updated

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Byzantine posted:

I don't cheer our military, I just recognize it's existence as a necessity in a world where wars are a regular occurrence. In fact the left really screwed up by not joining the military and law enforcement to counter the influence of the Fash in those institutions and the insistence of people like you demonizing anyone in those institutions only pushes those who may be sympathetic away.

Assuming we actually had this magical peaceful revolution where we overthrew the capitalists and established fully automated gay space communism, how long do you think it would last if we then decommissioned our military and disarmed?

We see what autocrats do when they face an enemy they see as weaker just look at Ukraine. Fascists aren't going to disarm and the only language they understand is force so it would be stupid to disarm and make it easy for them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Young Freud posted:

How am I supposed to drink the world's shittiest beer on the 4th of July if I'm being constantly reminded that genders can be fluid and nebulous? What's THAT got ta do with the constitution and the flag and the veterans I pretend to care about?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Skex posted:

In fact the left really screwed up by not joining the military and law enforcement to counter the influence of the Fash in those institutions and the insistence of people like you demonizing anyone in those institutions only pushes those who may be sympathetic away.

I like how you phrase it as a failing of the left here. The US military/law enforcement are not neutral parties that can be swayed to either side - they are inherently anti-leftist organizations that have been purging any pinko sympathizers from their ranks since before anybody in this thread was born. Leftists joining up to Change The System From Within just gets them killed like Pat Tillman.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Byzantine posted:

There wasn't a Russian military in WW2. (There were people fighting under the Russian flag, but they were nazi collaborators). There was the Soviet military, which had millions of Russians, but also millions of non-Russians.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

I don't think working for Lockheed Martin or General Dynamics is really the kind of thing I can excuse under the "no ethical existence in capitalism" rule. Like goddamn have at least some standards. Not everyone can do something they believe in, but I don't believe for a second that someone capable of doing whatever the hell a person does for those companies wouldn't have options elsewhere. "Someone's gotta work at the puppy crushing factory and I need to make a living."

Sorry no. Slaving away at poo poo jobs to survive is one thing, willfully choosing to work for outright evil is another.

My feeling about this stuff is that how inexcusable it is mostly corresponds to how well compensated someone is. Like someone working a minimum wage job at an unethical company isn't to blame (since, if anything, they're some of the victims in that situation), but someone getting paid well working at Lockheed or General Dynamics is just a piece of poo poo who is meaningfully profiting from their choice to be a bad person.

The main exception to this is jobs where you have power over people in some way, like law enforcement. The pay doesn't matter in that case, because you're being "compensated" in a different way (and no one does those jobs because they don't have a choice).

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Byzantine posted:

I like how you phrase it as a failing of the left here. The US military/law enforcement are not neutral parties that can be swayed to either side - they are inherently anti-leftist organizations that have been purging any pinko sympathizers from their ranks since before anybody in this thread was born. Leftists joining up to Change The System From Within just gets them killed like Pat Tillman.

Why doesn't the left just organize a secret coordinated campaign to infiltrate the American military and police forces and then use those to commit a coup? It's so simple. Why didn't the left get themselves appointed to lead the US Intelligence agencies instead of right wing figures? It just makes sense.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ytlaya posted:

someone getting paid well working at Lockheed or General Dynamics is just a piece of poo poo
"Just a piece of poo poo."

There are people who work at these companies as not-janitors who support trans rights, who support immigration reform, who support income redistribution, who support racial equality, and who are great fathers and mothers and friends. People who go out of their way to help others. People who volunteer and people who make great art.

You know, people.

Okay, you think anybody who works in defense is beneath contempt. Whoop-ty-do, good for you. Very few people are going to want to sign up for your "my mother/best man/uncle/neighbor is Just a Piece of poo poo" philosophy. It's almost hard to think of a less effective method to get people to reflect on their own complicity in the things our country has done and does. Or to make absolutely anybody want to listen to what you have to say.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
if you're skilled labor of some sort for the bomb making factory, you kinda of suck no matter how good a parent you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
War profiteering has almost always been viewed as a profoundly immoral act. Lockheed Martin's wars it has profited from have almost completely been targeted at the oppressed and innocent of the global south

Very few people are going to give a janitor poo poo for where they work, because it is understood that they do not have the luxury of choice.

Your friend has no excuse in that regard