Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Poland, historically, has had a lot of inventors that don't get a lot of credit because they happened to be abroad when they invented things. Random examples off the top of my head: the first bulletproof vest, or in WW2 times, the Vickers tank periscope that a lot of allied tanks used and even Germans copied, the mine detectors the British used until like the 70s, etc.

Today, however, the people in power are extremely fash, and all have wet brains comparable to Trump but without any real international power other than stamping their feet. It really sucks but it's better than living in the UK was. :v:

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 21:43 on May 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Living in "fear" of the SPH unit: oh no I hope the SPH unit doesn't come get me... :redass:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

Living in "fear" of the SPH unit: oh no I hope the SPH unit doesn't come get me... :redass:

isn't this a fetish or something

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

HiroProtagonist posted:

isn't this a fetish or something

pretending you don't know ftw

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Death By The Blues posted:

Man I despise Freeland. Probably mentioned here but her grandfather was a Ukranian Nazi collaborator during occupation and worked with Bandera. She apparently has a mini shrine to him in her basement.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/nati...-disinformation

Its cool that's she directs our foreign policy

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

Its cool that's she directs our foreign policy

Canada is like the perfect country for all these nazis

everyone expects the US and UK to be full of insane reactionaries, but not Canada. Someone really thought ahead.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don’t think some type of genetic drain is responsible for far-right politics in Poland versus you know everyone other part of the Europe at the moment.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
brain drain in eastern europe happened in the 90s when all the professionals with excellent degrees they received from communist academia bailed to the west to get fatter paychecks

there were constant articles about it, and the soviet education system that created them was burned to the ground and never replaced after

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, I don’t think some type of genetic drain is responsible for far-right politics in Poland versus you know everyone other part of the Europe at the moment.

Poland and the DDR were the beating heart of Communism even when the Soviets hemmed and hawed, it's a bit wild to think that the reactionary idiots in charge now reflect all Polish political and intellectual currents since 1945.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why is there a new article every day about the head of wagner making public statements critical of russia? seems weird to do that

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
just how Russia does things apparently

either they are a bunch of clowns or they really want people to think they are? Kinda like the whole mad dog thing the US did to make everyone think they really wanted to use nukes. But funnier.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

just how Russia does things apparently

either they are a bunch of clowns or they really want people to think they are? Kinda like the whole mad dog thing the US did to make everyone think they really wanted to use nukes.

the US really did want to use nukes though

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some guy running a PMC = Russia

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

wtf is a po anyways

It's a chamber pot.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Some guy running a PMC = Russia

i'm being optimistic in terms of how hosed up this is. This could be an act and they are very much in lockstep with the Kremlin. The alternative is this is exactly what it looks like which seems pretty bad for Russia considering how valuable Wagner has been.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Remember Prigozhin also thought it was a good idea to create fake videos of his men executing their own comrades with sledgehammers for some extremely nebulous reason. He is very Musk-esque in how he presents his company.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Real hurthling! posted:

why is there a new article every day about the head of wagner making public statements critical of russia? seems weird to do that

he is doing it to make the russian military give more supplies to wagner
a negotiating tactic more or less

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

i'm being optimistic in terms of how hosed up this is. This could be an act and they are very much in lockstep with the Kremlin. The alternative is this is exactly what it looks like which seems pretty bad for Russia considering how valuable Wagner has been.

There is what is clearly a planned handover happening wherein the slightly less expendable Chechens are taking over in bakhmut now that Wagner have made the requisite amount of progress and dying, the official letter is going around on TG right now. This makes sense because you rotate units out of the front at logical stopping points instead of running them into the ground until they're totally depleted, because repair is cheaper than replacement. The rest is just wwe kayfabe theater for lobbying purposes.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Spriter99880/status/1654959564595314691

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Lmao

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

oh hell yes

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

fat seagal trying to load a 150mm artillery shell. So many editing cuts.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

zelensky faces his greatest foe to date: the world's most immobile action hero

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

100% going to watch this

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

lobster shirt posted:

100% going to watch this

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

ua soldier sprints directly towards seagal with killing intent before touching his outstretched hand and spontaneously decides to frontflip straight into the ground

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

given the amount of time dedicated to the guy you'd think the entire russian military is wagner

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

speng31b posted:

you can probably have a nuanced discussion about knock on effects without saying that Poland is a stupid country because the nazis killed all the smart people, and if that was the intention it's useful to clarify.

To be clear, I am not mad about it and I am not trying to accuse you of being pro eugenics or whatever. To me the post just read very weird because it lacked the elaboration to make it clear that the implication wasn't hosed up. Especially because Intelligenzaktion wasn't just a policy of killing the intellectual elite but was also heavily racialized, so anything that implies it "worked" to some degree and is responsible for problems in modern Poland can benefit from some elaboration.

Just as a side note re the racialized nature of Intelligenzaktion, Poland after WW2 was very ethnically homogenous (like it is now) so it's not like there was much of a population of non-Polish intellectuals as a repository of organizational knowledge within Polish society.

Isentropy posted:

a guérilla insurgency is incompatible with a neoliberal state right? no one is risking having their family or friends killed for means tested loans to start a small buisness

In this case it seems as long as it's a neo-liberal nation state there's plenty of Ukrainians willing to die for it. I think there's still the expectation of becoming economically like France or Germany despite the obvious counter example of most of Eastern Europe.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Megamissen posted:

they are polish so they are allowed to say it

That's the n-word.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Georgians can say the n-word, not polish.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Under Siege 3

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Dear God I can't wait for this cinematic masterpiece

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Steven seagal can be the final boss of the ua counteroffensive

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weka posted:

That's the n-word.

Only nuclear armed nations are allowed to say nuclear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

razorscooter posted:

ua soldier sprints directly towards seagal with killing intent before touching his outstretched hand and spontaneously decides to frontflip straight into the ground

crane kicking a guy who coincidentally looks exactly like zelensky