Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

Mustang posted:

I tried having financial discussions with junior enlisted soldiers, frequently about this very topic, and it took a surprising amount of effort to finally convince most of them that the blended system was better for them.

Index funds vs crypto or individual stocks? Lost cause, never had any success whatsoever in this area. The returns weren't sexy enough.

Sweet Christ, the number of nuke bonuses that went partly into Bitcoin still makes me unreasonably angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Godholio posted:

From 1941 to the late 60s/early 70s they absolutely had to reinvent what computers were in order to do this.

The Apollo flight control computer was hand woven from metal filaments and magnetic beads. There's no line you can draw from that technology to the microcomputer.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Interesting how often that is tried and works, like early in the civil war when especially bad Union generals would surrender every able bodied man in Maryland to an under strength cavalry patrol that painted some logs to look like cannons. Was also a brown shirt tactic when they’d stage seemingly endless torch parades to intimidate civilians & I think just shuffled around who was on the outside.

Didn’t the Soviets also coordinate the May Day parade flyovers to look like they had a shitload of planes by running them in a huge circuit?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A.o.D. posted:

The Apollo flight control computer was hand woven from metal filaments and magnetic beads. There's no line you can draw from that technology to the microcomputer.

That's sort of what I'm getting at. There are almost no straight lines that spanned more than about 5 years, until we get into the late 60s/early 70s, and even then it was a mixed back. The 4pi was designed in like 1964, flew with the space shuttle and a bunch of other poo poo, and was in active service until literally within the past 5 years. Nothing from 1941 stretched past 1960. Things that evolved linearly over long periods of time were few and far between until recent decades.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Only the memory, it used integrated circuits for the actual processing bits

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Godholio posted:

From 1941 to the late 60s/early 70s they absolutely had to reinvent what computers were in order to do this.

Neil Armstrong was too valuable to let fly again after the moon landing so NASA put him in charge of the digital fly-by-wire program. To really do it, not just actuate surfaces with an electric or hydraulic motor but react dynamically and semi-autonomously in real time to changes in surface conditions based on pilot inputs they needed much more computing power then had ever before been flown.

That is, the computer largely flys the plane and keeps it stable and the pilot for the most parts directs its movements.

So, they adapted the digital Apollo flight computer, into a twinned configuration (which by the way led to many advances in fault tolerance and fault analysis/management) for the purpose

So, yeah, they did literally did reinvent what computers were to do modern fly by wire.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Actually.

Apollo was Fairchilds largest customer for integrated circuits for a while and drove a lot of the development in the 60’s so there is a direct line from the Apollo AGC to the modern microcomputer.

https://wehackthemoon.com/tech/how-integrated-circuits-saved-moon-landing

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

spankmeister posted:

Only the memory, it used integrated circuits for the actual processing bits

And IIRC it was on the leading edge of ICs, and was one of the prestige projects proving that they were both mature and useful enough for wider adoption. Which is very much an idea with more than five years of lifespan, though of course society would quickly have come to the same conclusion either way.

E: ^^^ exactly

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
If you want an incredibly detailed look at the inside of Apollo computers I recommend this series and his series on Apollo communications:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KSahAoOLdU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Murgos posted:

They also banned drones around Moscow.

the weirder thing is that (per the latest Steve Rosenberg bit) they've closed off Red Square entirely since April

in any sane time it's always full of a gaggle of tourists, domestic and international, and wedding parties

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm glad I got my chance to see Moscow and St. Petersburg a decade ago, that was an awesome trip. Would not want to be wandering around these days.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arrath posted:

I'm glad I got my chance to see Moscow and St. Petersburg a decade ago, that was an awesome trip. Would not want to be wandering around these days.

I'm bummed I never got to see either. I also didn't get to see Hong Kong before it was subsumed into the PRC, despite having flown through the airport a bunch.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arrath posted:

I got to go there in the late 90s and I can't imagine how different it must have been for you, and how different it is now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

psydude posted:

I'm bummed I never got to see either. I also didn't get to see Hong Kong before it was subsumed into the PRC, despite having flown through the airport a bunch.

HK is the one place in Asia I want to visit and likely never will. I would have loved to have spent some time there before the handover.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
In that case better go to Taiwan ASAP.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hopper posted:

In that case better go to Taiwan ASAP.

Already did but it's been a while.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Midjack posted:

HK is the one place in Asia I want to visit and likely never will. I would have loved to have spent some time there before the handover.

The best time to go would have been 2007 - 2012. Pre-handover everyone was bailing out, but a decade afterwards things looked settled, the 50 years of unchanged lifestyle promised in law looked like it was being honoured, and lots of emigrees were returning. It's a few years after SARS, the financial crisis meant you got a great exchange rate for visiting, and HK still had enough of the slightly sketchy frontier town aspect to it at times. They hadn't yet fully sanitised and gentrified it, sharp edges were still allowed, and 2047 was a full lifetime away.

I heard a lot of people talk about the 1980s as being golden age in HK, but 2007 - 2012 was absolutely a brief modern golden age when it was the most incredible place on the planet. And then it all changed. gently caress, I miss it.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I keep seeing people speculating on maybe there's some dissident or even insurrectionist faction going after the Kremlin (still very unproven) in Russia and it seems like people expect it to be an anti-war faction. If such a group or even just a broader movement exists (again, still very skeptical of this) it's far, far more likely that it's only anti-war insofar as it's against the current way the war is being conducted. Russian nationalists/militarists are making a lot of 'something has to change' posts and signal boosting stuff to that effect. If anything did pop up I'd put 10:1 odds on it being pro-military, anti-Ukraine.

Probably unrelated, someone is making posts in telegram offering a million rubles to burn things down in Russia (mostly draft offices, but not strictly limited to that) and it's a common thing coming up in arrests of people who've been throwing molotovs into government buildings. CIT has been reporting on this lately

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I doubt it's so much an antiwar faction as it is a anti Putin faction or general revolutionary fervor. People are mad, and there is a lot of heavy arms being moved around without supervision. People are going to start getting murked soon, and it's probably gonna be the authoritarians clearing house rather than anything progressive.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://vxtwitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1654906638350835720

There's absolutely no way this is anything but a placebo, right?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

https://vxtwitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1654906638350835720

There's absolutely no way this is anything but a placebo, right?

"Age restricted content. Log in to view."

Sorry, I'm not making an account just to view it. Nitter doesn't work, either.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Deteriorata posted:

Okay, that makes no sense, it's literally just video of a Russian tank with ERA on top of its defense gazebo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Deteriorata posted:

Bless those who describe what they just saw:
https://twitter.com/NoelRoope/status/1654929979514187777

I don't think adding reactive armor will make a cope cage work.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

Actually.

Apollo was Fairchilds largest customer for integrated circuits for a while and drove a lot of the development in the 60’s so there is a direct line from the Apollo AGC to the modern microcomputer.

https://wehackthemoon.com/tech/how-integrated-circuits-saved-moon-landing

Okay, fine, the core rope memory.

JEEZ

PurpleXVI posted:

Okay, that makes no sense, it's literally just video of a Russian tank with ERA on top of its defense gazebo.

That seems like an excellent way to ensure that a crew operating head out will have absolutely no chance of survival.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 6, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I also always wanted to go to Russia and am sad I missed my chance. Hopefully not for the rest of my life.

Parkingtigers posted:

The best time to go would have been 2007 - 2012. Pre-handover everyone was bailing out, but a decade afterwards things looked settled, the 50 years of unchanged lifestyle promised in law looked like it was being honoured, and lots of emigrees were returning. It's a few years after SARS, the financial crisis meant you got a great exchange rate for visiting, and HK still had enough of the slightly sketchy frontier town aspect to it at times. They hadn't yet fully sanitised and gentrified it, sharp edges were still allowed, and 2047 was a full lifetime away.

I heard a lot of people talk about the 1980s as being golden age in HK, but 2007 - 2012 was absolutely a brief modern golden age when it was the most incredible place on the planet. And then it all changed. gently caress, I miss it.

I went in that period and it was indeed a wonderful place, at least as far as you could tell as a tourist. Pre-97 would've been interesting, but for a while China was (mostly) respecting the two systems agreements they made so things hadn't really changed much.

Now, yeah. Nothing is being left alone. Even the city's visual character that made it distinct from the mainland is being eliminated--removing all the neon signs is one of the more in your face elements of it.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Didn’t the Soviets also coordinate the May Day parade flyovers to look like they had a shitload of planes by running them in a huge circuit?

On some occasions when they had new aircraft types, but production was not fully online, yes.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

Okay, fine, the core rope memory.

JEEZ

That seems like an excellent way to ensure that a crew operating head out will have absolutely no chance of survival.

I thought Russians didn't normally operate head out. (Nor would I if I had that cage above me)

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

"Reinforced" doing a LOT of heavy lifting in that sentence

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
today in prigozhin news:

Ramzan Kadyrov made a tiktok saying mom and dad should stop fighting and wagner needed a break anyway, it's cool, the chechnyans will step in to replace wagner. Prigozhin immediately issued a statement agreeing and saying the handoff would take place on 5/10 (5/9 is Victory Day, Russia's most holy apostolic holiday and peacing out of your own war on that day is considered bad luck). Note: there is absolutely no chance whatsoever the Kadyrovites could hold the line in Bakhmut.

prigozhin also made an effortpost on telegram just now - it's in russian but google translate works to give you the gist

https://telegra.ph/Otvety-Evgeniya-Prigozhina-na-glavnye-voprosy-kotorye-est-u-obshchestva-05-06

Interestingly, he outright confirms Gen. Mizintsev, the logistics guy the Russians fired, was slipping munitions to Wagner on the sly, and after he was fired Wagner basically stopped getting any at all. Which seems to point to Shoigu using Bakhmut as a way to grind Wagner to dust, then cutting them off when no longer convienent.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Murgos posted:

Neil Armstrong was too valuable to let fly again after the moon landing so NASA put him in charge of the digital fly-by-wire program.

Ehh. It was understood by the astronauts that once you commanded an Apollo mission, that was it. That's why Jim McDivitt, Frank Borman, and Tom Stafford never landed on the moon. Also all the Apollo 11 astronauts agreed not to fly again after their mission.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Arrath posted:

Might have posted about this here before, but when I arrived in St. Petersburg from Moscow in 2007, I went into an internet cafe right off one of the major downtown thoroughfares that was inside a store selling gay magazines and paraphernalia. The signage was discreet (in fact, I didn't notice it until I went in, I was just looking for somewhere to check my e-mail), but it wasn't hidden. It seemed a different world from Moscow where, a week earlier, a gay right's march had been bombarded with human feces.

I often wonder how those folks are doing these days and what it must have been like dealing with the increasing repression of the past fifteen years.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Lum_ posted:

today in prigozhin news:

Ramzan Kadyrov made a tiktok saying mom and dad should stop fighting and wagner needed a break anyway, it's cool, the chechnyans will step in to replace wagner. Prigozhin immediately issued a statement agreeing and saying the handoff would take place on 5/10 (5/9 is Victory Day, Russia's most holy apostolic holiday and peacing out of your own war on that day is considered bad luck). Note: there is absolutely no chance whatsoever the Kadyrovites could hold the line in Bakhmut.

prigozhin also made an effortpost on telegram just now - it's in russian but google translate works to give you the gist

https://telegra.ph/Otvety-Evgeniya-Prigozhina-na-glavnye-voprosy-kotorye-est-u-obshchestva-05-06

Interestingly, he outright confirms Gen. Mizintsev, the logistics guy the Russians fired, was slipping munitions to Wagner on the sly, and after he was fired Wagner basically stopped getting any at all. Which seems to point to Shoigu using Bakhmut as a way to grind Wagner to dust, then cutting them off when no longer convienent.

He puts the MoD in a peculiar position of either having to take responsibility for killing a lot of Russians over essentially petty politics poo poo or admitting that Russian shell procurement is having issues, too (which does appear to be the case), eg. If anything the situation appears to be some of each.

figured for a while this would probably be the case, but it's interesting to see some reporting on it
https://verstka.media/sotrudniki-rossiyskogo-vpk-rasskazali-o-problemah-svoey-raboty-i-pomehah-v-proizvodstve-oruzhiya

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

RoyKeen posted:

I thought Russians didn't normally operate head out. (Nor would I if I had that cage above me)

They're head out in the footage in the tweet. Maybe they're just training, but normally you don't train with ERA mounted.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

They're head out in the footage in the tweet. Maybe they're just training, but normally you don't train with ERA mounted.

Has anyone done analysis on the video and evidence out of Ukraine on if the ERA blocks are even useful anymore? I assume they work pretty well against RPG7 or LAWs but I’m having doubts about anything more than that.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

RoyKeen posted:

It's been a really really long time since I've been in a tank but you can't maintain much situational awareness operating while completely buttoned up. (For reference I was on an M1-A1C in the late '90s). Name tape defilade was the name of the game. I wouldn't want a loving explosive pergola on my turret in that situation.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

McNally posted:

Ehh. It was understood by the astronauts that once you commanded an Apollo mission, that was it. That's why Jim McDivitt, Frank Borman, and Tom Stafford never landed on the moon. Also all the Apollo 11 astronauts agreed not to fly again after their mission.

You may be right about Apollo 11, it’s not something I’d heard before. Some of the Apollo commanders did go to space again on shuttle (John Young) or Skylab (Conrad) so, I’m not entirely sure that parts true or at least not the whole story.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 7, 2023

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Why not? Risk that the newspaper stuffing gets wet and shrinks as it dries?

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Murgos posted:

Has anyone done analysis on the video and evidence out of Ukraine on if the ERA blocks are even useful anymore? I assume they work pretty well against RPG7 or LAWs but I’m having doubts about anything more than that.

You're pretty much right. It depends on the specific model of ERA and what's being used against them. Most Russian/Ukrainian ERA isn't very useful against modern ATGMs. It can still potentially block less-complicated rounds from hand-held launchers like you said, so the only reasons not to put it on are if you want to save on weight or for crew/support safety. Javelins and the like are not stupid enough that throwing a picnic table and some Kontakt on top of a T-72B is going to make a huge difference.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

And that will do gently caress all against a TOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Yeah, it's really the idea of "it'll work to the extent that it'll work."