Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How do I get rid of “Get ready for your new iPhone” on my phone? I bought my mom an iPhone for Christmas and Apple I guess thinks I want to switch

Buy another new iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

~Coxy posted:

AirTag is the shape it is basically from the CR2032 battery.

I don't know why there isn't a Chinese clone credit card form-factor that uses a CR2016 in the same "plane" as the electronics to make a wallet-friendly device.
This guy on Etsy makes one for $60. He even has a version with the speaker disabled so it won't beep on a thief indicating the wallet has an AirTag.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

those seem like they would be popular with stalkers

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Why would a stalker pay $60 when they can disable the speaker themselves in about 5 minutes with instructions from YouTube? Throw a $15 magnet cover on it and you've got an amazing vehicle tracker.

I think I'll do this for my car.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How do I get rid of “Get ready for your new iPhone” on my phone? I bought my mom an iPhone for Christmas and Apple I guess thinks I want to switch

I had this same issue. You have to click it and let it make an iCloud backup, then the prompt will disappear. You don’t have to do any other setup.

It’s supposed to disappear after 21 days as well.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

FCKGW posted:

I had this same issue. You have to click it and let it make an iCloud backup, then the prompt will disappear. You don’t have to do any other setup.

It’s supposed to disappear after 21 days as well.

Huh, that seems to have worked! Thanks!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i held back on upgrading to ios16 because im lazy and dont trust it but my autocorrect started correcting to curses, and i was blown away and then i realized they finally fixed that text placement trick so it actually works. yay!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

...what did you not trust? It's been out for quite some time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The Dave posted:

...what did you not trust? It's been out for quite some time.

There's 5G microchips in it that will send Bill Gates all your dick pics

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Hey if he wants them he can have them

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Disclaimer: I am a long-time Android user and have little knowledge of, and a good bit of distaste for, iPhones. However, my daughter has one, so here's a question --

My daughter has an iPhone SE (2022) 64GB. She also has 200GB of iCloud storage. Of the iCloud storage, about half is free.

BUT, her phone is constantly out of room, to the point that she's deleted apps and photos and still is constantly out of room.

This is something that I've never run into with Android, and I don't know how to fix it. What are best memory management practices? Shouldn't things automatically be backed up to the iCloud account and space freed up on the phone? If that's not automatic, is it an option?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

meatpimp posted:

Disclaimer: I am a long-time Android user and have little knowledge of, and a good bit of distaste for, iPhones. However, my daughter has one, so here's a question --

My daughter has an iPhone SE (2022) 64GB. She also has 200GB of iCloud storage. Of the iCloud storage, about half is free.

BUT, her phone is constantly out of room, to the point that she's deleted apps and photos and still is constantly out of room.

This is something that I've never run into with Android, and I don't know how to fix it. What are best memory management practices? Shouldn't things automatically be backed up to the iCloud account and space freed up on the phone? If that's not automatic, is it an option?

check the phone's storage breakdown. if it's mostly a ton of system data taking up most of the phone, then it's probably a bunch of backups.

i'm not sure what the best solution is beyond wipe and set up as new and resync but if that's the case at least you can start googling other solutions.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

meatpimp posted:

First step would be to go into Settings > General > iPhone Storage and see what is taking up so much space on her phone. You can also adjust settings to automatically upload her photos to iCloud and offload them from the device, among other recommendations that optimize storage capacity for her device. I personally keep all my data on my device whenever possible and have almost all of that stuff turned off, but can understand why many would not want to manage something like that.

Maybe she has a bunch of music downloaded or something?

Its probably tons of Message media.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 4, 2023

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Soul Glo posted:

check the phone's storage breakdown. if it's mostly a ton of system data taking up most of the phone, then it's probably a bunch of backups.

i'm not sure what the best solution is beyond wipe and set up as new and resync but if that's the case at least you can start googling other solutions.

Corb3t posted:

First step would be to go into Settings > General > iPhone Storage and see what is taking up so much space on her phone. You can also adjust settings to automatically upload her photos to iCloud and offload them from the device, among other recommendations that optimize storage capacity for her device. I personally keep all my data on my device whenever possible and have almost all of that stuff turned off, but can understand why many would not want to manage something like that.

Maybe she has a bunch of music downloaded or something?

Its probably tons of Message media.

Thank you, it's on my list to review this weekend.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone else encountering more and more issues with CarPlay? My car only supports it through USB and I’m finding more and more it’ll just stop responding for no reason, or Apple Music will just not play any tracks until I unplug my phone and plug it back in. Sometimes I have to force close the music app to get it to work again.

I’ve tried to see if there are updates for the unit in my car but it doesn’t seem like they ever bothered.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Anyone else encountering more and more issues with CarPlay? My car only supports it through USB and I’m finding more and more it’ll just stop responding for no reason, or Apple Music will just not play any tracks until I unplug my phone and plug it back in. Sometimes I have to force close the music app to get it to work again.

I’ve tried to see if there are updates for the unit in my car but it doesn’t seem like they ever bothered.

Yes. Particularly with Google Maps. Searches fail, maps will just stop giving directions in the middle of routes, etc. Unplugging and re-plugging and/or force closing the apps usually fix the issue, but it’s annoying.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't have any issues. Running the 16.5 beta. You may also want to see if there's a firmware update for your stereo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought my car had awful carplay or the cables were awful . . . even bought some "high end" thick cables and some foam padding to reduce the motion of the phone, which seemed to be the most common times when poo poo went bad. . . but then when I switched from the 12 to the 14 it magically works great. Which makes me wonder if my ports were dirty or something on the phone.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't have any issues. Running the 16.5 beta. You may also want to see if there's a firmware update for your stereo.

It's been getting consistently worse with each iOS update since I got the car in 2018. It's reached a point where it crashes almost once per drive.

I also tried like hell to update the stereo firmware but no matter what I do, it won't work. Hyundai's quality control is abysmal.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I'm thinking of finally upgrading from my iPhone X I bought years and years ago. Does it make sense to wait for the iPhone 15 or will the jump from X to 14 be significant enough that it shouldn't matter if I miss out on a few new features with the 15?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

threeagainstfour posted:

I'm thinking of finally upgrading from my iPhone X I bought years and years ago. Does it make sense to wait for the iPhone 15 or will the jump from X to 14 be significant enough that it shouldn't matter if I miss out on a few new features with the 15?

It's really hard to say. People are pretty convinced that the switch over to USB-C is happening soon, but no one knows if it's this time or next; that's probably going to be the significant hardware change (probably). And it's been long enough that the phone is gonna feel new to you, at least a little bit, whichever one you get.

The only reason I suggest waiting is if they ever DO have a homerun announcement someday and you want to upgrade day and date is it will be a lot easier if your refresh date is synced to the phone release around October.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Every new iPhone for years now has been a relatively incremental upgrade. The X to the 14 will be a big jump, and the X to the 15 will be a larger jump. We have no idea what new features the next phone will bring or if they’ll be something you’d regret not waiting for but one thing that is reasonably likely is that the 15 will make the jump to USB-C charging instead of lightning, so if that is relevant to you, you should wait.

Also if your current phone works and isn’t giving you grief why not just wait? My general opinion is that if you’re in a position to choose when to buy a new phone (ie you don’t need an urgent replacement because your existing phone broke or something) then the best time to buy a new iPhone is New iPhone Season. That’s when all the carriers throw out the best deals to try and entice you; and it puts you in a position to see what the new phone offers and decide whether to buy it or the previous generation (which will get cheaper when the new one comes out)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New iPhones usually get revealed in June, right? So the 15 will be revealed in a matter of weeks. If you don't need a new phone right this second, I'd wait at least until then so you can see what you'd be missing by not getting the 15, but yeah, X to 14 will be a noticeable improvement for you. That's a several generation leap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

New iPhones usually get revealed in June, right? So the 15 will be revealed in a matter of weeks. If you don't need a new phone right this second, I'd wait at least until then so you can see what you'd be missing by not getting the 15, but yeah, X to 14 will be a noticeable improvement for you. That's a several generation leap.

No September.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MarcusSA posted:

No September.
They come out in September but they get announced in June during WWDC, don't they? Or maybe I'm misremembering

e: Wait, I'm mistaken. They do get revealed in September. I guess I'm thinking of iOS, which is revealed during WWDC and goes into beta during the summer.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 11, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There was a flurry of rumors last month about all the buttons being replaced with haptic not-buttons for the 15. Then a week later the same rumor sites walked back on that saying there were development issues, so only the volume controls would be haptic (or something like that, I'm not gonna dig up old stories to fact check so don't quote me on this). Then they walked back on that too.

So, for now, it feels impossible to predict how iterative the next phone is gonna be. Maybe when WWDC hits and people start theorizing about the announcements there we'll get an idea what's happening in September.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I tried convincing my partner to wait until the next iPhone refresh, mostly for USB C, but she's a normal person who doesn't care that much about what cable she has to plug her device into - she was just sick of the aging battery life with her 12 mini. I ended up picking up an iPhone 14 Pro and she's pretty happy with it. They gave her a $700 credit for her 12 Mini, as well.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I feel like my XR to 15 leap is gonna be pretty minor, which is a shame. The biggest pain points are certain bloated apps (looking at you, Grindr) crashing on my phone, as well as FaceTime also causing heat issues that cause my screen to dim.

But aside from that, I feel like all I have to look forward to is better night/low light photos. Oh and less reliance on lightning cables.

I’m still looking forward to a new phone come September/October, but it’s not going to feel as big of a leap as the 5C-7 Plus was. That was exciting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

threeagainstfour posted:

I've had an 11 since it first came out in 2019, and I see no reason to upgrade yet until there's usb-c, and the zoom camera on the Pro gets an upgrade.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m hoping for a Mini Pro one day so I can take macro photos of cool bugs I see and also have a nice small phone

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Not really sure why my 11 Pro's battery life is so bad but that's a motivator for me to upgrade soon, plus I'm a weirdo who's hoping for 2TB storage. Although 2TB might not be too crazy if like 8K video is on the horizon (I'd just be the edge case user wanting all my local music with no downconversion). I haven't heard a peep about storage capacity on the 15, but IIRC the last two bumps happened without much fanfare.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Minidust posted:

Not really sure why my 11 Pro's battery life is so bad

It's three and a half years old. Just pay to get the battery replaced and use it another year or two.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Apple Pay question. I work at a major retailer, and we don’t accept tap payments. I’ve heard a couple reasons why, like “Apple Pay isn’t secure enough” (which I know is utter bullshit), and “Apple charges a fee for every tap transaction”. Now that last one feels like bullshit as well but I’m not certain. Any insight? Apple isn’t the only one who does tap, considering Android, Samsung, and physical cards can tap as well… so why is Apple being singled out here?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Apple Pay question. I work at a major retailer, and we don’t accept tap payments. I’ve heard a couple reasons why, like “Apple Pay isn’t secure enough” (which I know is utter bullshit), and “Apple charges a fee for every tap transaction”. Now that last one feels like bullshit as well but I’m not certain. Any insight? Apple isn’t the only one who does tap, considering Android, Samsung, and physical cards can tap as well… so why is Apple being singled out here?
E: I think I'm confusing things. Apple doesn't add a charge for tapping an arbitrary card. They do charge a transaction fee for Apple Cards, but literally every bank charges a transaction fee regardless of method of transaction (tap, chip, swipe, fuckin' those ancient paper things). Apple charges the banks a portion of the transaction, but that shouldn't matter to a retailer.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 12, 2023

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

They do. But so does everyone else, to include every tap, chip, or swipe transaction. It's a true claim, but doesn't actually hold any water when examined for even a second.

Apple actually doesn’t charge the merchant afaik; the banks they’re passing through do, and Apple gets a cut of that fee. So the banks agreed to take less money in exchange for the security and reduction in friction contactless payments provide.

E: my bet is that they’re just being cheap about replacing their terminals with ones that support NFC.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think Apple Pay is often used synonymously by merchants to also refer to the Android and Samsung variants. If someone isn’t taking Apple Pay, chances are they’re not accepting those variants either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kalman posted:

Apple actually doesn’t charge the merchant afaik; the banks they’re passing through do, and Apple gets a cut of that fee. So the banks agreed to take less money in exchange for the security and reduction in friction contactless payments provide.

E: my bet is that they’re just being cheap about replacing their terminals with ones that support NFC.

Yeah, I edited my post because I was confused.

But yeah, I'm not sure it's possible to take arbitrary tap cards and NOT take Apple Pay since they're functionally the same exact thing.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Doesn’t Apple Pay change which card number is presented to the terminal each time or something to make it harder to track?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

rafikki posted:

Doesn’t Apple Pay change which card number is presented to the terminal each time or something to make it harder to track?

Most tap to pay systems rotate encryption credentials with each transaction, which basically means if that credential is compromised, it doesn't matter because it was a one-time use and already used for that transaction. They also don't usually exchange actual card numbers, just identifying information that uniquely ties you to your bank usually. Apple Pay has other benefits too like MFA with Face ID and/or other biometric security based on your device of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Kalman posted:

Fun fact, they completely support NFC. It’s just software disabled