Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Braks, you’ll be great on it with those seats. Our friends noted that they really felt those were super comfortable.

My only issue with the prone style is if you’re wearing shorts, it can pinch a little on your inner thigh when you slot into the seat.

I recommend flying with your elbows on the cushion part, and hands under your chin. We posed like that for the pic and it was super comfortable for the entire ride.

Supermanning from the front seat is also thrilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
So far I am super unimpressed with the Wish. The adult only area feels like a total after thought and was crammed into whatever space was left available. It's also a huge pain in the rear end to get to and has no soda gun to get non alcoholic drinks.

Hyperspace lounge is better than I was expecting, at least.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Heck, the neck g-forces thing makes me think I should sit my moderate spare-tyre rear end in the special seats too. gently caress risking spine damage.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

couldcareless posted:

So far I am super unimpressed with the Wish. The adult only area feels like a total after thought and was crammed into whatever space was left available. It's also a huge pain in the rear end to get to and has no soda gun to get non alcoholic drinks.

Hyperspace lounge is better than I was expecting, at least.

I agree. The adults area is very small for such a big ship and the elevator to it is actual hell.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Here now for a cheerleading competition and holy cow it’s crowded full of cheerleaders. Was worried a bit about transportation to ESPN World, but Ubers are abundant and Mears cabs are shockingly cheap.

Sunday night there is a party at Hollywood Studios that goes until 1:30 am. Disney has advised that transport will end at 11. Does anyone have a guess as to whether we will be able to get ubers back to our hotel that late, 1:30 in the morning?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

brunch with yr parents posted:

Here now for a cheerleading competition and holy cow it’s crowded full of cheerleaders. Was worried a bit about transportation to ESPN World, but Ubers are abundant and Mears cabs are shockingly cheap.

Sunday night there is a party at Hollywood Studios that goes until 1:30 am. Disney has advised that transport will end at 11. Does anyone have a guess as to whether we will be able to get ubers back to our hotel that late, 1:30 in the morning?

For sure. If the Uber/Lyft drivers are aware of the event they'll be around, and if not, they will still be around, you might just have to wait a bit longer.

The event doesn't have private transportation? That kinda sucks. The one time I went to an after hours buyout for a podcast event, they arranged coach shuttle buses back to all the on site resorts.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

For sure. If the Uber/Lyft drivers are aware of the event they'll be around, and if not, they will still be around, you might just have to wait a bit longer.

The event doesn't have private transportation? That kinda sucks. The one time I went to an after hours buyout for a podcast event, they arranged coach shuttle buses back to all the on site resorts.

Thanks!

Guardians is a great coaster. Does anyone have a clue what’s going on, story wise?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Guardians shoot at the celestial which makes him drop the power source thing, but they accidentally trigger it to go back in time so the rest of the ride is escaping him while getting back to the proper time and location.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The story doesn't matter, the presence of the Guardians doesn't matter, the ride would 100% be better as The Big Bang Coaster With Music and nothing would be lost.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Read that as The Big Bang Theory Coaster and was about to vehemently disagree

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dining plans coming back, and changes to park reservation system in 2024

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...t-disney-world/

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Magic Kingdom needs better morning coffee availability/am snack options, imo, it felt like a caffeine free wasteland before 11am. Otherwise we’re having a good time and I unironically laughed a whole bunch on Jungle Cruise.

Genie+ definitely has an art to it that I haven’t really grasped (though it’s serviceable enough). We’re probably just making it tricky because we’re taking a midday break for kid naps.

The Poly is a beautiful hotel and the pools/white sand beach are so great. I would slam pick it for every future trip if it weren’t for the price :negative:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

We have heard from guests that they would like ways to plan with Disney Genie+ service and individual Lightning Lane selections before the day of their park visit, and we want you to know we are working on ways guests may do this for visits in 2024. Our goal is to give you the opportunity to spend less time planning in the park and more time enjoying your visit with friends and family. While we are not yet able to share specific details, we look forward to sharing more information at a later date.

Thank gently caress. Now just give us back Fastpass+

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

alg posted:

That pretty much is going to be FP+, you just have to pay for it now. They'll probably allow 2 ILL's per person and 3 Genie+ reservations ahead of time, if you buy everything early. Should be about 50 bucks a day more per person on average I guess. Maybe ILL's will be a fixed rate since you're buying ahead of time. Think of the savings by locking in G+ for 20 bucks instead of up to 35 or whatever the highest was, or prepaying for ILL's 30 days in advance and locking in 15 dollars instead of up to 29 or whatever.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Feels like a real "baby come back" play. I will probably wait until next June, then.

Hahahaha I will be out of money by next June.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Feels like a real "baby come back" play. I will probably wait until next June, then.

Hahahaha I will be out of money by next June.

being entirely honest, there are so many new diseases and disasters and so many places near war, I say go now if you can. You never know when poo poo is going to fall apart again and the parks will be closed for who knows how long.

I'm at the point where I'd like to go yearly just to visit and see new sights. I don't know if it's possible or if my health will allow me to, but it'd be a nice treat.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

alg posted:

Just make ride reservation queue skips so expensive that the average visitor gets one every three days.

Honestly to God FastPass please die in a fire. It's either equitable and this nobody benefits except the 8% that refuse to use it (and they're squeezed to death already), or it's paywalled and a way to buy your way to having a more important vacation than other tourists. There is no win! Just everybody wait in queue because goddamn.

All said, I'd still rather see old FP than FP+.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

being entirely honest, there are so many new diseases and disasters and so many places near war, I say go now if you can. You never know when poo poo is going to fall apart again and the parks will be closed for who knows how long.

I reject your grim prognostication of doom. (Also I'm looking to eventually work there so, eh.)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

Honestly to God FastPass please die in a fire.

:aaa: now you don't get to do disney ever again!

quote:

I reject your grim prognostication of doom. (Also I'm looking to eventually work there so, eh.)

well okay that's fair then. I've been considering a side project from home, I'm just not sure if I'm up for the mouse's deadline margins since my life likes to spontaneously catch on fire (it's me, I'm the fastpass)

I do sincerely hope that they make FP+/Genie/whatever a more viable from-home thing. I liked the old FP+.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
All I want is, other than no Fastpass at all, is the original paper ticket system rules, only on the app. You have to be in the park. You can only book one at a time, first come, first served. You can't book another until either your return window starts or 2 hours, whichever comes first. Allowing people to book them without being in the park and also stacking them is one of many things that really throws things off and fucks things up. For instance, it used to beneficial to rope drop because you'd have at least an hour to power through multiple rides with low waits before the lines started growing. In fact, the first thing you'd probably do is grab a paper Fastpass for something you want to ride later. The return window typically started 45 minutes from the current time. Now (I say "now" but really it's been like this for a decade now), rope dropping will yield you just one ride with a short wait. By the time you're out of that one ride, the queues are already full due to artificial inflation from people who booked Genie+ passes before they even got there.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 8, 2023

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Also, minor news, the dvc magic band sliders are back. Stop at a dvc stand next visit if you want one.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

All I want is, other than no Fastpass at all, is the original paper ticket system rules, only on the app.

This is it but yeah as someone who just sort of wanders and explored when doing Disney I am the sucker in the FP equation.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Dining plans coming back, and changes to park reservation system in 2024

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...t-disney-world/

I remember we were all having conversations about crowds in the parks and how you don't really see an impact on attendance numbers related to price increases for about 12-18 months since most people book very far out. Well, we may actually be seeing it now with them killing the reservation system. I imagine a reduction of park hopping time is next, maybe closer to 11-12 but we'll see.

How does the removal of the reservation system work with virtual queues though? The two seems incredibly incompatible to me since if it remains and you kill reservations, you're opening it up to the whole entire pool of resort guests. To me, it leads to either overcrowding of parks with VQs, or people getting a boarding group and just deciding not to go. I feel like they have to be getting rid of it before this happens.

We just got back from being down in Orlando last week and I think we saw an actual impact from the discounts of the luxury resorts at Universal. I'd never seen such a heavy backup at the express pass lines at Universal parks. It was like being at Disney with the LL system. Saturday morning ended up being the perfect storm with the Express/Standby/Single rider for most rides just being backed up into overflow. No matter what you wanted to ride you were going to wait 30+ minutes, even with express. This was the only day it was like this that week and maybe the first time I would ever say that Universal was busier than Disney (we did a day at MK and a day at Epcot/HS and both were much less crowded than Universal).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't book another until either your return window starts or 2 hours, whichever comes first.

That's what currently enables stacking though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

All I want is, other than no Fastpass at all, is the original paper ticket system rules, only on the app. You have to be in the park. You can only book one at a time, first come, first served. You can't book another until either your return window starts or 2 hours, whichever comes first. Allowing people to book them without being in the park and also stacking them is one of many things that really throws things off and fucks things up. For instance, it used to beneficial to rope drop because you'd have at least an hour to power through multiple rides with low waits before the lines started growing. In fact, the first thing you'd probably do is grab a paper Fastpass for something you want to ride later. The return window typically started 45 minutes from the current time. Now (I say "now" but really it's been like this for a decade now), rope dropping will yield you just one ride with a short wait. By the time you're out of that one ride, the queues are already full due to artificial inflation from people who booked Genie+ passes before they even got there.
Having it on the app bypasses what made it work. Only the people willing and able to hoof it around the parks picking up passes benefitted from the old system. If you can do it from inside queues then we'll hit the Fastpass+ problem, but day-of rather than months in advance.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Good points, both of you.

I really miss the paper machine setup.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm surprised Annual passes haven't sold out yet. I can see it as either they upped the amount available/capacity, or people aren't taking the bait as quickly anymore.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I really miss just getting in a queue that was kind of long but continued moving at a faster, steady pace. It also allowed themed immersive queue design like ToT and Indy at Disneyland. The queues of yesteryear were awkwardly roped and redesigned to allow for people to pass by you in line, and any attempt to make the queue part of the attraction's story is strictly optional since some riders will never stand long enough to appreciate any of it.

Quixotic1 posted:

I'm surprised Annual passes haven't sold out yet. I can see it as either they upped the amount available/capacity, or people aren't taking the bait as quickly anymore.

Would not be surprised if there's a bit of an Osbourne Effect with people waiting until the end of reservations are closer in sight to buy APs. If you're loaded and don't mind giving the Mouse a bunch of money for a year of a substandard process, sign up now.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Craptacular! posted:

I really miss just getting in a queue that was kind of long but continued moving at a faster, steady pace

This was the one benefit of dangerous covid park touring. No fastpass system, just standard queuing that moved at a regular pace.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Seeing a 1000’ line that was 8 min long was honestly something that had to be experienced to be believed.

The fact that the full year will be available instead of 500 days out is what’s shocking me. Soft bookings for latter half of 2023 I feel pushed that to open all of 2024.

Just two dining plans
Quick service & Disney Dining plan
Same as before (mug included) but only 1 snack per day instead of 2.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yup, I remember queueing for Big Thunder Mountain like, near the Haunted Mansion entrance, and it took like 25 minutes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No virus will ever keep me away from Halloween horror nights again

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

I rode Mission Space (orange) and Guardians during evening hours last night, and while I was definitely playing chicken with my inner ear I had a blast.

I went it almost completely blind to Guardians except knowing it launched backwards at some point in the ride and goddamn it was good.

Today we are focusing on getting the kids as much Frozen content as possible between HS and Epcot because we are parents. Also going to ride RoR, if up, completely blind.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
^Awesome! Thanks for the real-time updates!

BadSamaritan posted:

Today we are focusing on getting the kids as much Frozen content as possible between HS and Epcot because we are parents. Also going to ride RoR, if up, completely blind.

The best way to experience RotR. I went in as spoiler-free as I could, and it was awesome.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

No virus will ever keep me away from Halloween horror nights again

celtic patientzero

the ft wilderness cabins are almost $600 a night even with the military discount toward the end of the year. I don't care how they reimagine them, they'll never be worth that; and these won't even be reimagined yet.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

PurpleButterfly posted:

The best way to experience RotR. I went in as spoiler-free as I could, and it was awesome.

:same:

It’s one of those rides that loses a lot of its impact on re-rides, even with technically two different “paths,” but if you go in blind the first time is absolutely mind blowing.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Lol never mind, RotR was down all morning and we’re doing Epcot in the afternoon. Maybe later this week, or maybe next trip!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Hazo posted:

It’s one of those rides that loses a lot of its impact on re-rides, even with technically two different “paths,” but if you go in blind the first time is absolutely mind blowing.

I find the loss of impact depends on how long you wait. For me, the opening part blows my mind and never gets old, but I've never had to wait more than 30-40 minutes on my re-rides so I'm sure that has an impact.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hazo posted:

I honestly underestimated the reveal into the room everybody already knows about. I'm no big star wars person but my brows went up. It's a lot of impressive detailing.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Wife and I made reservations at Wine Country Trattoria for our trip next month. We’re going to turn the kids loose to go do whatever while we have a nice dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

It’s been a couple days since our family trip ended and thanks again to this thread, it was very helpful. I hadn’t been to Disney in over 20 years, and my partner and kids had never been.

A few observations:
- 4 year old ate the whole thing up, loves roller coasters, and is convinced she went to space on Mission: Space
- She got too excited meeting Elsa, went slightly feral, and is definitely in the middle of some other family’s photos. Sorry, other family.
- 2 year old had a more mixed experience. He loved hanging around at the park and eating snacks, but only really liked the parade, it’s a small world, and the carrousel for structured things/rides
- The meet and greets and other rides we went on were too intense for 2 year old and he got legit terrified by the little fireworks at the end of the friendship castle show so I felt like a bag of poo poo that betrayed his tiny, partying heart when that happened
- Everyone loved the monorail and boats
- Also, apparently, the Mears Connect bus
- The crowds were pretty low and we didn’t actually run into anyone being noticeably lovely, which was fantastic
- I very much want to go back to AK. We had to bail early that day for kid reasons, but the park looked gorgeous and I just wanted to wander. The theming was next-level and there was so much shade. Kali River Rapids was empty in the morning so I got to walk on twice with my daughter, A+
- Hollywood Studios was a bust for us since Genie+/ILL availability didn’t work in our favor. Easily my least favorite park, but 2yo made me hurry through Galaxy’s Edge (‘too scary!’) and I’d like to get to actually explore it.
- I was floored by the consistently good customer service and cleanliness of the parks for the sheer number of people there. Epcot bathrooms were the grodiest, though, and I assume that is due to the heavier presence of alcohol.
- We encountered some hiccups, and there were a couple small hotel issues in particular, but on a one-on-one level the cast members were fantastic

We’re already planning on returning, but will likely split the kids up more and buy an industrial sized bag of Cuties upon landing in Florida because it’s all the kids wanted to eat.