Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Unlucky7 posted:

I would be a lot more fine with grinding on Son of Oggdo if they didn’t put a bunch of vendor trash enemies that I need to blow through on every attempt…

EDIT: well, the xp from those enemies did get me a health upgrade, so silver lining and all that

Get the second pull power, pull both of those hammer guys from above down, lure them to the door and run to the middle. Then just get Oggdo between them and you and let them all beat the poo poo out each other. Oggdo will still win, but if you hop in with a few hits here and there you can have him down to barely anything by the time he does and then you just finish him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JBP posted:

There's a passage that goes from the smugglers tunnels to a big concrete looking building in town. I can see it has items in it on the map but I have no idea how to open it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? On the map with all upgrades both doors are red...

Use a chocobo double jump to get on top of the building in question.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

SirSamVimes posted:

FFS that's so simple.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JBP posted:

FFS that's so simple.

this is how I felt when I finally figured out how to get onto the upper floor of the stable

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Beat Spawn of Oggdo. Used Dual Saber stance and abused lightsaber throw. It's weird how for the Single Saber throw, it bounces off them, but the dual saber throw goes through them and is able to hit twice in once throw (One on the throw and the other on the return). I wonder if that is a bug.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The top upgrade for dual wield saber throw is sick. It just wrecks so many basic enemies and will still do a poo poo ton of damage to big guys. I felt bad for the B1 bot endurance challenge.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Can't stop laughing at the undercover infiltration late in the game.

No one will suspect a thing :smugdog:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

this is how I felt when I finally figured out how to get onto the upper floor of the stable

Did you just stand on the fence and jump up there? I stood on the fence and jumped up lol.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was wearing the bandana having a big boss moment.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JBP posted:

I was wearing the bandana having a big boss moment.

Hell yeah :madmax:

Sad I kept forgetting to go back and buy that one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just finished Jedi Survivor. And holy gently caress, this surpasses even Knights of the Old Republic for me. Best Star Wars game we have ever gotten, and one of the best games of 2023.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I think it is super hilarious that they are so bluntly chocobos that you can get a yellow one that looks exactly like a chocobo, and the black/red ones aren't far off.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Their name is even pretty similar I think, though of course now I’ve forgotten it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For some reason the moonran really poorly for me, similarly to Coruscant. The other two places I've been have ran considerably better. Still playable, but I was getting a pretty unsteady 45-50 fps.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dogen posted:

Their name is even pretty similar I think, though of course now I’ve forgotten it.

They're called Nekkos.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

JBP posted:

They're called Nekkos.

Well, there’s a long o sound anyway

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Everybody loves Skoova Steve, but nobody ever talks about his deathstick-peddling cousin, Skooma Steve

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

I think it is super hilarious that they are so bluntly chocobos that you can get a yellow one that looks exactly like a chocobo, and the black/red ones aren't far off.

To me they are more like Yoshis the way you can jump dismount them

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Unlucky7 posted:

To me they are more like Yoshis the way you can jump dismount them

they're both op

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm about a third of the way into NG+, and it's reinforcing my initial impression that the game would have benefited from trimming down the open-world and collectible aspects considerably. Mainlining the critical path, focusing on the sweet combat, and stopping in at the pub now and against to chat with the locals is a lot more fun when I don't feel pressured to go out and spend an hour picking up plant seeds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm about a third of the way into NG+, and it's reinforcing my initial impression that the game would have benefited from trimming down the open-world and collectible aspects considerably. Mainlining the critical path, focusing on the sweet combat, and stopping in at the pub now and against to chat with the locals is a lot more fun when I don't feel pressured to go out and spend an hour picking up plant seeds.

The thing is that all of that stuff just unlocks cosmetic stuff. You can just follow the plot and miss basically nothing except maybe a stim pack or two

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that all of that stuff just unlocks cosmetic stuff. You can just follow the plot and miss basically nothing except maybe a stim pack or two

Yes but completion.

Or, to be less glib, a combination of misguided incentives and non-trivial opportunity costs lead me to believe that most big-budget games would benefit hugely from carving out at least a quarter of their content, and Jedi Survivor is no exception.

If you don't have the time and resources to do a Witcher 3-style side quest then just cut that poo poo. Don't prompt me to run around collecting stickers.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like solving a puzzle and getting a cosmetic piece to play with

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

I like solving a puzzle and getting a cosmetic piece to play with

Sure, and if, say, the Jedi Chambers were the only place to find those things, then I would be less bothered. I take more issue with the "here is a desert culdesac with ten collectibles of dubious-to-no value; spend 15 minutes picking them up. Good, now do that fifty more times over the course of the game."

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Yes but completion.

Or, to be less glib, a combination of misguided incentives and non-trivial opportunity costs lead me to believe that most big-budget games would benefit hugely from carving out at least a quarter of their content, and Jedi Survivor is no exception.

If you don't have the time and resources to do a Witcher 3-style side quest then just cut that poo poo. Don't prompt me to run around collecting stickers.

benefit who? you seem to be under the impression something is going to happen to you if you don't do all the cheevos. is this like a disorder thing

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The traversal force tears are going to be what stops me from getting the plat. I took one look inside the first one, turned around and left.

What the gently caress is this poo poo, I can barely do some of the traversal stuff on the main path :argh:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I spent like 15+ minutes trying to figure out what to do in this one area where you're supposed to swim. I didn't even know swimming was a thing in this! I pushed a stormtrooper into the water and he died, so I just assumed that it would be treated like falling off a cliff.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I spent like 15+ minutes trying to figure out what to do in this one area where you're supposed to swim. I didn't even know swimming was a thing in this! I pushed a stormtrooper into the water and he died, so I just assumed that it would be treated like falling off a cliff.

The swimming feels pretty good too. It's weird that there's only the one single segment on Jedah that requires swimming (along with a few chests).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I walked around in post game at the ISB base checking out the missing story pieces. The ISB commander guy and Bode worked together for the republic doing shady poo poo. So that explains why he's a practiced subterfuge master and went unnoticed. He also went to the ISB looking for a safe haven. wasn't forced into it or anything despite the threats from the ISB guy.

E: lol additionally Vader came and choked out Denvik the ISB guy after you left

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

JBP posted:

I walked around in post game at the ISB base checking out the missing story pieces. The ISB commander guy and Bode worked together for the republic doing shady poo poo. So that explains why he's a practiced subterfuge master and went unnoticed. He also went to the ISB looking for a safe haven. wasn't forced into it or anything despite the threats from the ISB guy.

He says as much when you confront him in his quarters. He started out running but when his wife died he savvy enough to see that would eventually lead to a dead end, so he tapped his old connections and cut a deal.

Also, going to the ISB wasn't just about protecting his daughter. There's a force echo that reveals Bode is searching for the Inquisitor who killed his wife, presumably so he can go get some vengeance.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's absolutely criminal that you don't get to keep that outfit :argh:

At least the mod scene is starting to port over outfits from Fallen Order, like the Inquisitor outfit

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dang that still looks good

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like the hitboxes on spawn of Oggdo Boggdo are all hosed up. I'll frequently be jumping away and get teleported back in front of his attack; like the game registers me as being in his range and activates the "getting hit" animation such that it looks all hosed up. It also seems like there's only one opportunity to attack, and it's a roll of the dice whether he follows it up with an unavoidable follow-up (if you counter both his counter-able attacks he'll sometimes leave an opening, but other times attack in the middle of your attack). Using a different style might address this, but I don't have anything invested other than crossguard (too slow) and blaster (which also seems like all the attacks commit to much to be cancelled out of in time).

edit: Yeah, both blaster and crossguard have X attack animations that are too long and can't be cancelled out of. Wish I still had my dual saber build!

edit2: This is very unpleasant. It feels like I'm fighting against the controls and it seems like a complete matter of luck whether my dodges work or not.

edit3: I finally did it. Was mostly luck. The only useful thing I really learned is that jumping is (usually, except when it randomly isn't) a good way to avoid his charge attack. I mainly won because I just got lucky and he didn't suddenly own me during too many of my attacks.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:25 on May 7, 2023

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Finished the game. Verdict: it good

The story with Bode was far more interesting/engaging to me than the stuff about Dagan/Tanalorr, and he was the interesting charismatic villain that the game was missing. He's no Second Sister, but he's very good in his own right and his boss fight was very cool.

I'm hoping the stuff with the darkness is resolved with the idea that balance is what's necessary, not the traditional Jedi "suppress all emotion". I always liked the idea in the Jedi Knight games that Light Side/Dark Side powers are not necessarily good or evil, just how they are used.

edit: Rayvis was still the best boss fight in the game.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 7, 2023

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Frog and son are dead. If we get a three frog fight in the next game I’m uninstalling right then and there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

if we don't get a three frog fight in jedi 3, i'm requesting a refund

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Game is starting to crash a lot more on series X in the late game. Just lost a good 20 minutes of progress.

Like the game is very good but I have a low tolerance for poo poo like this. If you’re going to launch your game broken as poo poo at least have some aggressive auto saving.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 7, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Pops Mgee posted:

Frog and son are dead. If we get a three frog fight in the next game I’m uninstalling right then and there.

The third frog is Turgle

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is, this isn't really true. Sure, most of it is cosmetics, but datadiscs represent perks; those weird force crystals are health, force meter, and skills; stims exist. Plus, picking up cosmetic stuff and force echoes gets you EXP, which probably adds up over time. There are real gameplay benefits to doing that exploration, it's not just a new jacket or lightsaber component. E: Then there are the force tears, which represent even more skill points...

I just found the Gonk droid. What a wonderful thing.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 7, 2023

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

There are upgrades that show all the collectibles on the map. That’s something I will get to mop up the collectibles I missed after finishing the story. I usually manage to get like ~80-90% of them in a given area during my regular playthroughs, the ones I miss were mostly due to not having a particular skill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ytlaya posted:

Did you play the first game? It has a whole area where it's required. There's also at least one part of the critical path in Survivor that requires it as well.