Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Roots Of Pacha is very new so I will spoiler this.

All of the residents and visitors you can dance with have a different, unique dance animation. One dude does the Ride the Pony dance and it's incredible. Your adopted grandpa does the wave 😭 Grandpa is so cute.

In Horizon Zero Dawn, the first time you enter a zone with a Stalker, a unique machine that can bend light to become invisible, if you turn on your Focus you can see all the lit-up silhouettes of the human enemies in the room crouching down and looking around like they're afraid. I kept looking at them with this creeping sensation up the back of my neck like "What the gently caress are they hiding from?" But you can't see the stalker. However, when you turn on your Focus, you can hear the thing moving around. It was very creepy. If you didn't make a habit of turning on your Focus when you enter a big area you wouldn't get that moment, but I did and it was a great introduction to an otherwise mediocre enemy. Dude went down like a chump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Re: the Bureau chat

Keep in mind that the head of publishing at the time - who oversaw the release timing and messaging of all that - is the current head of all Amazon game studios.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure all I have to do is look at the state of the world to confirm that is absolutely not an experience unique to video games.

Yeah and those guys are all out of your control, unlike the ones in video games. That's why they suck

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
RE: Spec Ops tried to do a cool thing, but as an adaptation of Heart of Darkness it is vastly outdone by Far Cry 2.

There is one scene that stays with me though, and it's absolutely a little thing. At some point in the story, you come across a massive mob of angry civilians that want to string you up, Blackwater-style. Your back is up against the wall, the mob is just a few feet away and they are going to murder you.

Do you open fire?

I thought the game would force me into a massacre, or at least a few dead civilians. But I really didn't want to, so in panic I decide to shoot above their heads as a warning.

And it loving works! Just this incredible moment where a game rewards you for thinking on your feet and offers a meaningful outcome for your actions. That stayed with me way more than those other scenes people always mention.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sobatchja Morda posted:

RE: Spec Ops tried to do a cool thing, but as an adaptation of Heart of Darkness it is vastly outdone by Far Cry 2.

There is one scene that stays with me though, and it's absolutely a little thing. At some point in the story, you come across a massive mob of angry civilians that want to string you up, Blackwater-style. Your back is up against the wall, the mob is just a few feet away and they are going to murder you.

Do you open fire?

I thought the game would force me into a massacre, or at least a few dead civilians. But I really didn't want to, so in panic I decide to shoot above their heads as a warning.

And it loving works! Just this incredible moment where a game rewards you for thinking on your feet and offers a meaningful outcome for your actions. That stayed with me way more than those other scenes people always mention.

Walker keeps yapping "we had no choice but to [do the terrible thing]", but the game often shows you that you do, in fact, have a choice.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's a good game that does some interesting things while being clumsy at others and it really doesn't deserve to be the focus of as much ire as it has been historically

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

flatluigi posted:

it's a good game that does some interesting things while being clumsy at others and it really doesn't deserve to be the focus of as much ire as it has been historically

What gets me is that even that is so much more than 99% of games do. Like what's the gold standard, bioshock? Pshaw. Yes that's right, pshaw.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's probably just that things that try to say something more than some level of complexity end up getting very easy to misunderstand (intentionally or not)

I'm reminded a bit of how disco elysium will dunk on you fairly mercilessly for choosing to be a centrist in a way some very tedious people all really didn't get why they deserved the bite

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
So how does everyone feel about "no Russian"? Everyone who played that level is an irredeemable monster because the game said you could skip it.

It's a dang video game, you're playing walker's story. It's fine.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Nobody gets heated or defensive over the lovely GTAV torture mission, though. Everyone agrees that one's just poo poo. :iiam:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the torture mission is just another part of GTAV's overall loathsomeness. it'd be like making fun of a clown for his oversized shoes

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

MadDogMike posted:

This occasionally can backfire a bit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iKhWAvHuD8

Just Cause 3 was so good.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

sebmojo posted:

What gets me is that even that is so much more than 99% of games do. Like what's the gold standard, bioshock? Pshaw. Yes that's right, pshaw.

The only "moral choice" thing I've ever immediately gone back and reloaded my save on was the one and only time I harvested a little sister

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
You know, games would be more willing to try to “make you think” more if goons and nerds didn’t dog pile any game that makes an effort beyond the regular cod shooting

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shnag posted:

You know, games would be more willing to try to “make you think” more if goons and nerds didn’t dog pile any game that makes an effort beyond the regular cod shooting

No they wouldn't

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

ok 2nd best

:colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VjgZwyQi48

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shnag posted:

"The writing is terrible"- all goons about every game

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

"The writing is terrible"- all goons about every game

Except anime games

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Opopanax posted:

The only "moral choice" thing I've ever immediately gone back and reloaded my save on was the one and only time I harvested a little sister

I remember reading some complaints at the time that you couldn't get the good ending if you harvested any little sisters. Like, what if I just commit an acceptable amount of child murder?

Vic posted:

Except anime games

They're actually a 1000-year old author that chooses the form of a techbro, so bad writing is a stylistic choice.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No they wouldn't

Ok fair, every AAA is about money, not the games themselves. But at least they would have one less excuse not to try to do better

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I think a big problem with games doing "makes u think" is that so often it runs counter to their own game mechanics, aesthetics, or purpose.

To move away from Spec Ops, look at Dad of Boy 1 and 2. They spend dozens of hours completely rebuilding Kratos into a reformed and penitent man who fully understands the consequences of vengeance and no longer desires to be the brutal jackass he once was...but it's still (technically) a God of War game, so you still grind people and deities into hamburger for no reason. And even after all the character development, any sequel is just going to be more godbutchering but they'll have Kratos be Very Sad about it now.

It's like the problem where anti-war movies end up glorifying war, but moreso because a movie proceeds without input, but a game is necessarily interactive. An anti-violence game is almost forced to make its violence exciting and fun to play through gameplay feedback loops because otherwise you won't play it long enough to get to the 'violence bad' message.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

I remember reading some complaints at the time that you couldn't get the good ending if you harvested any little sisters. Like, what if I just commit an acceptable amount of child murder?

You can get away with harvesting 1, or 2 if you have fast reaction speed with the firsr scripted little sister encounter.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I’m playing Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire and I just realized that that the evolution pickups change depending on the particular Pokémon’s evo method.

Normally the pickup is a XP icon but if your Pokémon evolves using a stone, the pickup changes! So I was trying to evolve Lombre and noticed that the evo pickups were little water stones!

Also, I realized Lombre is a play on hombre.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

My favorite thing about Spec Ops: The Line. It opens with the team in a helicopter shooting at other helicopters. Then the game jumps back to when they arrived in Dubai. Then when they finally get to the helicopter chase Walker says that they've done this before and then the helicopter crashes which induces a hallucination. Heavily implying that Walker died in the crash and is constantly reliving the game as a sort of hell/purgatory.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Tunicate posted:

You can get away with harvesting 1, or 2 if you have fast reaction speed with the firsr scripted little sister encounter.

An acceptable amount of child murder?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A little child murder, as a treat

Bioshock is a great example of the biggest pitfall with moral decisions in games- it’s very, very hard to make both paths equally difficult and equally rewarding, and gamers will always optimize for those two things over morality unless they’re hardcore RPers

And if you don’t tie the decision to those things, the lack of consequence means it’s not a “real” decision

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

haveblue posted:

Players can have little a child murder, as a treat

FTFY

haveblue posted:

Bioshock is a great example of the biggest pitfall with moral decisions in games- it’s very, very hard to make both paths equally difficult and equally rewarding, and gamers will always optimize for those two things over morality unless they’re hardcore RPers

And if you don’t tie the decision to those things, the lack of consequence means it’s not a “real” decision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7eeEprQ0x4

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

haveblue posted:

I’d say they handle it pretty well; you can either harvest the little sister for more ADAM up front, which buys you more plasmids and tonics, or you rescue them which gives you less resources, but they bring you gifts as you go on and in the end you wind up with roughly the same amount either way. So you do face some consequences for taking the “good” path, but you aren’t totally hampered by it.

Witcher 3 is probably the best example of this stuff, where the results aren’t immediate, sometimes taking several hours before you find out what the choice did, and they tend to be more nuanced than “save the orphans or eat this kitten” like in a BioWare game

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The fundamental problem with video game morality is that player characters are gods. The physical constraints that force us as lowly mortals to make compromises and choices simply don't exist, so there's no downside to being Good. Hell yeah, dive off into that den of slavers with nothing but a BB gun and some comfortable boxers, it's not like bullets can stop you from freeing the prisoners.

Honestly, Fallout 3 had one of the best ones, where if you resolve Tenpenny Tower by getting the racists to let the ghouls move in, the agreement breaks down as soon as you leave because deeply-held beliefs can't actually be changed by slapping [Speech 75] three times. And people got Mad about it.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 20:14 on May 7, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed Fallout 3 is an all time classic after the disappointing Fallout 1 and 2

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Byzantine posted:

The fundamental problem with video game morality is that player characters are gods. The physical constraints that force us as lowly mortals to make compromises and choices simply don't exist, so there's no downside to being Good. Hell yeah, dive off into that den of slavers with nothing but a BB gun and some comfortable boxers, it's not like bullets can stop you from freeing the prisoners.

Honestly, Fallout 3 had one of the best ones, where if you resolve Tenpenny Tower by getting the racists to let the ghouls move in, the agreement breaks down as soon as you leave because deeply-held beliefs can't actually be changed by slapping [Speech 75] three times. And people got Mad about it.

I kinda get why people would get annoyed about that though. It's always a little annoying to be given false choices that you use your skills on/complete quests for, having invested a bunch of points or effort into it, and then the game's just like "lol nope" or no sells the whole thing

It's more realistic sure, but I dunno, I don't really play games for the realism aspect. Despite absolutely loving social sims and stuff.

I'm totally fine with that in more narrative games, or even the telltale games where they've got branching that centralizes back to a point because you can't really do a million different plot threads in most games. Just feels different to me for whatever reason?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

PYF little things in games: an acceptable amount of child murder

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Agreed Fallout 3 is an all time classic after the disappointing Fallout 1 and 2

More like oldvaultless.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

haveblue posted:

Bioshock would have been interesting if the little sisters didn’t leave Adam in their gift packs. And maybe left something unique like a special ammo type or gadget. They did leave mods and such, so that could have been expanded upon. Instead you dont really get that much more Adam if you harvest them and you don’t get certain mods so it’s almost a disadvantage to harvest all of them. When your told on the radio you need Adam, it would have been more cool imo if you were stuck with the small amount of Adam you get from saving them. Then Tennbaume could would try to make up for it in ways besides Adam.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Don't you actually get less adam in the long run by harvesting them? I think it was something like 20 less Adam when you add up the "harvested Adam" vs "Adam from freeing girls + their gift", even disregarding the unique tonics they give you (that was the only way to get some plasmids, right?)

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

The Little sisters give you the hypnotise big daddy plasmid. The little sisters being able
to collect and give Adam even post rapture break down shows Fontaine and Ryan are pretty dumb to not try to exploit it. Like I understand drug attics not thinking ahead but the idea you NEED to harvest them to get Adam is flat out wrong

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

And don't get me started on drug basements, which in rapture are all flooded anyway. Those not only don't think ahead, they don't even think bulkhead

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Randalor posted:

Don't you actually get less adam in the long run by harvesting them? I think it was something like 20 less Adam when you add up the "harvested Adam" vs "Adam from freeing girls + their gift", even disregarding the unique tonics they give you (that was the only way to get some plasmids, right?)

Checking the wiki, you get 40 less ADAM by rescuing when taken over the whole game, but you also get unique gifts like the aforementioned plasmids and tonics as well as other items like bullets and hypos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Alhazred posted:

My favorite thing about Spec Ops: The Line. It opens with the team in a helicopter shooting at other helicopters. Then the game jumps back to when they arrived in Dubai. Then when they finally get to the helicopter chase Walker says that they've done this before and then the helicopter crashes which induces a hallucination. Heavily implying that Walker died in the crash and is constantly reliving the game as a sort of hell/purgatory.

The whole game is one big weird mind gently caress, it's great. I missed loads of the changing graffiti first time around but it's nuts.

Der-Wreck posted:

I’m playing Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire and I just realized that that the evolution pickups change depending on the particular Pokémon’s evo method.

Normally the pickup is a XP icon but if your Pokémon evolves using a stone, the pickup changes! So I was trying to evolve Lombre and noticed that the evo pickups were little water stones!

Also, I realized Lombre is a play on hombre.

IIRC the gbc one did this too