Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Just watched a tiny black wolf spider make a break for it while carrying the cellar spider it killed. Here’s hoping it is just as effective when killing recluses. Cellar spiders are bros, so I was kinda sad to see it as wolf spider take-away. But they also don’t appear to eat other spiders, and recluse bites suck.

I think there are also a few ant mimics crawling around down here.

Hummingbirds have returned to the yard, but refuse to pose for a picture. The group out here seems to be louder with their battle “pew-pew” sounds, but they haven’t introduce themselves like the ones at my mom’s house did. Every new hummingbird that discovered the feeder at my mom’s house last year would hover in front of us chirping quietly until we noticed.
Also, hummingbird facts:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biagyb7AcK8

Hah! Got some pictures over the shoulder.

They’re poo poo pictures.

I just want to point out, on the second one, there is nothing to perch on. It is still hovering. My phone really hates hummingbirds.

Also not my truck. I live in the basement of a friend’s house.

Bored fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Had a big ol raccoon walking through my backyard yesterday, maybe looking for a nest location. Didn't seem too worried about me.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bored posted:

Cellar spiders are bros, so I was kinda sad to see it as wolf spider take-away. But they also don’t appear to eat other spiders
I think cellar spiders do eat other spiders

mystes fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 5, 2023

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Yeah I thought that's why they have those crazy long legs, for wrapping up spiders without taking a bite.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Yeah I thought that's why they have those crazy long legs, for wrapping up spiders without taking a bite.

You are both correct. I just looked it up. I’ve never seen them eating other spiders, only gnats, so just assumed. There are lots of cellar spiders down there. Hopefully black wolf spider will start going after recluses anyway and stop going after the cellar spiders.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
That time of the year again. Polyphemus emerging, and I get to come up with more synonyms for brown to describe them. So far this year I've got some that are Khaki (brown), and some that are Teak (brown). Still waiting on some that are as Orange (brown) as last year.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
Does anyone know what this is? I spotted it while bothering hermit crabs on a beach in north-ish Queensland, Australia. It looked like it had 8 legs, but no obvious joints and moved slowly but very deliberately when I disturbed the rock it was hiding under.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It looks like one of those spindly starfish.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

black brittlestar maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WrglBuWSK4&t=17s

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Brittle star of some sort, yeah

https://australian.museum/learn/animals/sea-stars/schayers-brittle-star/

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
That's very cool, thank you all. I'm sad I didn't grab more photos.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Went for a walk in a local wetland boardwalk and got a good photo of a Bell Miner - a very audible but often hard-to-see critter.

Incidentally, sorry if this image host is not OK - what is the admin-recommended image host are people using instead of imgur?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Does anyone know what this is? I spotted it while bothering hermit crabs on a beach in north-ish Queensland, Australia. It looked like it had 8 legs, but no obvious joints and moved slowly but very deliberately when I disturbed the rock it was hiding under.

That looks like a black feather star. Colobometra perspinosa maybe?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Went for a walk in a local wetland boardwalk and got a good photo of a Bell Miner - a very audible but often hard-to-see critter.

Incidentally, sorry if this image host is not OK - what is the admin-recommended image host are people using instead of imgur?

I think imgur is still fine? just make an account, don't upload anonymously

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
You can use add.pics too

Cool photo of that miner!

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Found in a rental car place's parking lot!

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

:mad:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Not an angry bug, just a disappointed bug.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

MagpieConcept posted:

Found in a rental car place's parking lot!

I wanted to see what those shoulder pads are, since they are super prominent.
I think those are parotid glands? We have lots of people here who are far more knowledgeable about amphibians than I am.

I followed the link from the Western toad to the California subspecies and thought this was funny.

quote:

The California toad breeds from January to July, with later spawning occurring at higher elevations. Many populations are aggregation breeders that come to suitable marsh or pond spawning sites in large numbers. Here males recognize females through random amplexus. Eggs number over 16,000 per female and are laid in strings in shallow water.[7]

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Yeah, any time you see a funny picture of, like, a line of roads on a snake, those are male toads trying to gently caress the snake. They are not clever creatures.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

I was cleaning out my grandma's shed and found this friendly recluse. I gently shoo'd it out of the box with my hand with no issue. The poster a few pages back is right about these guys getting a bad rap. They are neat and good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I assume my "shoo" you don't mean actually touching it, but, like please don't handle spiders with potentially medically significant venom with your bare hands even if they are a species that generally won't bite unless pinched

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I just tapped on the box to make it run in the opposite direction out of the box. It's fine, I've lived in a house full of these things for years and years and no one is missing any limbs. The main point was it wasn't aggressive. I was more concerned about being bitten by the mice I didn't get a photo of, not that they are aggressive either, but they moved around much faster and more chaotically.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 04:34 on May 8, 2023

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Yeah, any time you see a funny picture of, like, a line of roads on a snake, those are male toads trying to gently caress the snake. They are not clever creatures.

Or are they just ambitious?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Here is a truly terrible picture of my Baltimore oriole and red-breasted grosbeak returning to my feeders for the season:

I am very excited!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I like how the oriole went to the orange feeder. "Hmm, this one is orange. I am orange. Clearly it was made for me!"

We had some orioles nesting nearby last year. I hope they come back again!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

I like how the oriole went to the orange feeder. "Hmm, this one is orange. I am orange. Clearly it was made for me!"

Also the grosbeak's colors match the house behind- red brick, white trim, black shingles

Both beautiful birds!!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:actually: it's a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McGavin posted:

:actually: it's a Rose-breasted Grosbeak.

i know this and i don't know why i went with red-breasted

i was too excited

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Well, I guess I'm not using that sink for a bit. Good job, spider!

Haven't seen a porcupine in a bit, glad they're still around!

Lady duck was sitting on the sidewalk and I was concerned something was wrong with her, but then man duck exploded out of the woods behind me and she took off too, so all was good. Hopefully they found their way back to the creek.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
That itty bitty spider with that huge yellowjacket is like dark inspirational poster material.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Some Lebanese critters from a trip back in October

Roughtail rock agama (maybe)

Laughing dove

a poo poo photo of a black stork (which I was pretty stoked about) flying over some roman ruins

Unknown moth

Western marsh harrier

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Unknown caterpillar chilling on my deck chair in Central CT.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Also in central CT, I got to see a peregrine falcon up close! He's our local falcon; we call him Stoop Kid.

I pulled up to an all-way stop, then looked to my left and he was just standing there on the pavement next to the stop bar. A truck coming the other direction stopped, too, and we both stared at the foot-tall bird standing there perfectly still like some Egyptian statue. Then, after a couple seconds of wondering why this bird was in the road, Stoop Kid took flight, dashed across the intersection, and nailed a small bird on the far corner, resulting in a huge cloud of white feathers that looked like it belonged in a cartoon. Hell yeah, Stoop Kid.

Silver Falcon posted:

This must have summoned the orioles, because we saw three of them yesterday and heard a bunch more. Pretty soon they'll have their scrotum-nests up.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cichlidae posted:

Stoop Kid took flight, dashed across the intersection, and nailed a small bird on the far corner, resulting in a huge cloud of white feathers that looked like it belonged in a cartoon. Hell yeah, Stoop Kid.
Huh, that's weird. I heard this guy was afraid to leave his stoop.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Apologies for the lovely pic. I only had my phone on me and these little guys were pretty shy. There was a whole litter of cottontails out this evening! Could be Eastern Cottontails or New England Cottontails. Both of them live around here. (Central Connecticut), but they can only be distinguished by genetic analysis. The little guys were about the size of a tennis ball and there were 5 of them hopping around. Mom was nearby.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Cichlidae posted:

Also in central CT, I got to see a peregrine falcon up close! He's our local falcon; we call him Stoop Kid.

I pulled up to an all-way stop, then looked to my left and he was just standing there on the pavement next to the stop bar. A truck coming the other direction stopped, too, and we both stared at the foot-tall bird standing there perfectly still like some Egyptian statue. Then, after a couple seconds of wondering why this bird was in the road, Stoop Kid took flight, dashed across the intersection, and nailed a small bird on the far corner, resulting in a huge cloud of white feathers that looked like it belonged in a cartoon. Hell yeah, Stoop Kid.

This must have summoned the orioles, because we saw three of them yesterday and heard a bunch more. Pretty soon they'll have their scrotum-nests up.

I swear sometimes after a missed strike birds of prey sit there and sulk. I had a Cooper's in my yard that seemed like he was just stewing after missing a shot at a pigeon.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Apologies for the lovely pic. I only had my phone on me and these little guys were pretty shy. There was a whole litter of cottontails out this evening! Could be Eastern Cottontails or New England Cottontails. Both of them live around here. (Central Connecticut), but they can only be distinguished by genetic analysis. The little guys were about the size of a tennis ball and there were 5 of them hopping around. Mom was nearby.

I definitely found the opposite of this this morning. I went out to a trail near a landfill hoping to get some bird photos. On my way back I almost stepped on a gopher snake that was stretched across the path.

Landfill Loop Gopher Snake-9120 on Flickr

Landfill Loop Gopher Snake-9136 on Flickr

I was sitting on the ground to get photos of the snake when something caught my eye up the trail. I'm not sure I've ever seen a jackrabbit and not had an initial flash of what the hell is that, and that goes double when its on its hind legs.

Landfill Loop jackrabbit-9143 on Flickr

The weirdo came up the trail pretty close -- not sure if investigating me or the snake, then turned around and headed back down the trail.

Landfill Loop jackrabbit-9154 on Flickr

Landfill Loop jackrabbit-9162 on Flickr

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol stoop kid is a great name for a falcon, gj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

BetterLekNextTime posted:

I was sitting on the ground to get photos of the snake when something caught my eye up the trail. I'm not sure I've ever seen a jackrabbit and not had an initial flash of what the hell is that, and that goes double when its on its hind legs.

Landfill Loop jackrabbit-9143 on Flickr

The weirdo came up the trail pretty close -- not sure if investigating me or the snake, then turned around and headed back down the trail.

Landfill Loop jackrabbit-9154 on Flickr

Landfill Loop jackrabbit-9162 on Flickr
drat that's a nice jackrabbit