Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Lareine posted:

People say using hydrogen peroxide works. Might be worth a shot on hardscape.

I had BBA on my driftwood, in a slightly shaded bit along the bottom of it. Wasn't getting a ton of light there but it still grew in two spots.

First I did repeated point treatments of flourish excel, causing it to turn white and die after a couple treatments each time. But it came back.

So I took the driftwood out and hit it with hydrogen peroxide a few times, carefully removing all sign of the tufts between soakings. Then rinsed and let some flourish excel soak into the affected area for good measure before putting it back in. It was totally gone. But it came back.

So I boiled that end of the driftwood for 10 minutes. Then boiled the other end for another 10 minutes. Then poured on some hydrogen peroxide. It did not come back. Pretty sure boiling is what finally killed it all.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I would like to add stock to my 20 gallon tank. Here is my list.

2 pairs of guppies (gups gups)
10 skrimps
6-8 Hillstream loach
6-8 Corydorays (probably pygmy)
1 Betta.
1 dwarf goby or two. I love the neon ones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Aerofallosov posted:

I would like to add stock to my 20 gallon tank. Here is my list.

2 pairs of guppies (gups gups)
10 skrimps
6-8 Hillstream loach
6-8 Corydorays (probably pygmy)
1 Betta.
1 dwarf goby or two. I love the neon ones.

Bettas don’t do great in community tanks, imo. Even females can be combative to other fish, and on the flipside, bettas’ long fins are often easy targets for bites

skrimps will also probably be treated like food

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
what kind of hillstreams? common ones in the trade can be fine with standard water flow or need super high flow depending on species.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

How do fish know when I'm trying to take a picture of them and start darting around all willy-nilly?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

How do fish know when I'm trying to take a picture of them and start darting around all willy-nilly?

Fish can actually see quite far out from their tank, and if you're taking it with your phone they can interpret the looming dark rectangle hovering near them as a gaping mouth ready to swallow them and react accordingly.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

With the community list, I think an amount of flow would suit most of those fish (and shrimp) except the Betta. Their long fins/tails aren’t suited to flow, and even a Plakat style Betta that didn’t have a bad attitude would have come from more still water in nature so too much flow could stress them out. The rest of that list seems fine, even if you do end up needing a bit more vigorous flow for the hill streams, I’ve seen my guppies line themselves up directly in the outflow of the filter as if they’re getting on a treadmill for exercise, they really seem to like water flow. The other possible point of incompatibility would be that shrimp like a bit of alkalinity and hardness and guppies like a bit more, and the other fish are soft water fish to my recollection.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Sockser posted:

It's near-impossible to get good photos of my tank because it's scratched to gently caress, but hopefully this comes through

I thiiiiink that this is blackbeard algae?

If so, or if not, what's the recommended course of action before it takes over everything?
I've been pulling it out of my tank and scrubbing it off the driftwood by hand when I do water changes but that doesn't really appear to be making any difference long-term

I used the blackout method, and that worked for me. It depends on what else you have in the tank, but my java moss, java fern, and anubias were fine.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
UPDATE: put the bristlenoses in a clean 4ft with no snails and they bred so much that the male lost a bunch of weight, had to take the caves out. annoyingly said tank is moving end of may so if anyone has any ideas on how to move fry with minimal fatalities i would be a very happy man

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

big dong wanter posted:

UPDATE: put the bristlenoses in a clean 4ft with no snails and they bred so much that the male lost a bunch of weight, had to take the caves out. annoyingly said tank is moving end of may so if anyone has any ideas on how to move fry with minimal fatalities i would be a very happy man

Assuming the fryer not in the cave still? If not, What I usually do is withhold food for a day or so and then get a good size piece of zucchini or a few algae wafers and put them in a net in the tank, leading up against the glass or something and then just scoop up as many as going to eat.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Stoca Zola posted:

With the community list, I think an amount of flow would suit most of those fish (and shrimp) except the Betta. Their long fins/tails aren’t suited to flow, and even a Plakat style Betta that didn’t have a bad attitude would have come from more still water in nature so too much flow could stress them out. The rest of that list seems fine, even if you do end up needing a bit more vigorous flow for the hill streams, I’ve seen my guppies line themselves up directly in the outflow of the filter as if they’re getting on a treadmill for exercise, they really seem to like water flow. The other possible point of incompatibility would be that shrimp like a bit of alkalinity and hardness and guppies like a bit more, and the other fish are soft water fish to my recollection.

Unless your water is super super hard and you're going with very delicate Black water wildcaught tetras, and not the more, ones that have been in the pet store holding tanks for a while, do not mess with the water softeness or hardness. There's a whole other school of thought when it comes to ro and fish and plants, and lots of them work out great but you have to be really on top of minerals added.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Oh yeah, RE hardness I'm just thinking about it from the point of view that sometimes guppies and shrimp struggle without hardness, so they might not do so well while the other fish are fine, or if there's enough hardness for the guppies and shrimp to be happy, all the fish will be fine. I didn't completely explain the thought I was having! whoops

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
I was given this fish and a neon tetra today from someone closing down their tank.

Anyone able to tell me what kind of pleco it is please? She's around 6cm. Bit worried she's going to get huge, he had her in a 100 liter tank i think.

Edit: couple more pictures

Dong Swanson fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 2, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's a common pleco, from the body shape I'm thinking hypancistrus. Usually carnivore and high temperature fish.

Post on planetcatfish, they can usually ID the less than common species pretty quickly.

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
That's interesting, I didn't realise plecos could be carnivorous. How does that work? Do they hunt smaller fish?

My other fish will be fine right? It was in a bag with a neon tetra for about half an hour and they looked pretty friendly.

I've posted on the forum thank you.

Edit: It looks a lot like a picture I found of a Hypancistrus sp. (L401). Thanks again, I'm gonna do some research on how to best care for it.

Dong Swanson fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 2, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Total guess, but a fish could be carnivorous and stick to small invertebrates living in the sand, or crawly kinda critters?
Another stab at it, I'd guess certain detrivores expect a fair amount of dead meat in their diet.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 2, 2023

Dong Swanson
Jan 25, 2010
Yeah it looks that way, think I have to buy some bloodworm or brine shrimp. My fiance will love having that in our freezer.

edit: The catfish forum guy agrees with you on it being a type of Hypancistrus, thanks again.

Dong Swanson fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 2, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Stuff like shrimp wafers/pellets or earthworm pellets will be fine too, you don't need to hit up straight frozen. :)

I also use Repashy Bottom Feeder and all my fish go nuts for that.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Been making snello that's like a nightmare version of those 1950's aspic creations.
Gelatin, finely crushed plain white chalk, spinach, green beans, butternut and acorn squash, bit of flake food, and a squirt of vitachem.
The snail grocery bill goes a lot further this way than with algae wafers.
Guppies seem to enjoy it too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

Been making snello that's like a nightmare version of those 1950's aspic creations.
Gelatin, finely crushed plain white chalk, spinach, green beans, butternut and acorn squash, bit of flake food, and a squirt of vitachem.
The snail grocery bill goes a lot further this way than with algae wafers.
Guppies seem to enjoy it too.

what about zucchini and green beans?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

No zucchini this time round, but there's green beans in there.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I dropped by a newish shop to see what they had for plants, and asked if they could find a home for my overabundance of mystery snails. Great news, they said bring them in!
They also had this cool tank with a couple monster plecos and I think an albino oscar.

https://imgur.com/Z41ONR0.mp4

How many snails should I hold back for populating a 75 gallon?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 4, 2023

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

B33rChiller posted:

How many snails should I hold back for populating a 75 gallon?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
It's been two days since I've found a dead shrimp, though that could be due to the fact the feeding response in the shrimp has increased due to improved water quality. My nitrates are down to around 20, going to continue to do water changes around twice a week. One is due for tomorrow.

Goddamn it, I keep jinxing myself. I found a dead one. At least it was a crummy male.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 4, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lmao. True, that would be the smart move, but I want more. Looking for a good base of mulm for the root feeders, but not so much it buries the dwarf sagitaria.

So, a little less dense population than 11 in a 29 long
Note I will not be letting eggs hatch into this tank.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Why won’t my shrimp come out of hiding and eat any of the delicious varieties of shrimp food I’ve bought?

I want to see my scramps scrambling :mad:

I also have no idea how many I have left. I know at least one managed to jump out, but I scooped him back in hours later and he was fine. I think I counted at least seven when I did a tank clean yesterday, which is definitely down from the 15 I started with.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

The shrimp I have in my community tank only come out at night, the shrimp I have in my dedicated shrimp tank are always all sorts of weird poo poo. Especially when I drop food in.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

My shrimp seem to have no concept of predators so they are always out. They'll dash back if you stick your hand in the tank but if you just leave your hand in the tank, they'll sometimes land on you.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Sockser posted:

Why won’t my shrimp come out of hiding and eat any of the delicious varieties of shrimp food I’ve bought?

I want to see my scramps scrambling :mad:

I also have no idea how many I have left. I know at least one managed to jump out, but I scooped him back in hours later and he was fine. I think I counted at least seven when I did a tank clean yesterday, which is definitely down from the 15 I started with.

A rule of thumb I've heard is if you don't see your shrimp eating, you're feeding too much (they're full). Feed way way way less often, and smaller amounts, and you'll see the shrimp grazing and appreciating their food more. They're really tiny and they don't need much food, even less than the amount of food a small fish would eat.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Lareine posted:

My shrimp seem to have no concept of predators so they are always out. They'll dash back if you stick your hand in the tank but if you just leave your hand in the tank, they'll sometimes land on you.

Yep. My amano shrimp are always out grazing on the plants and hardscape while fish cruise around nearby. They don't really seem to care about the fish after a few weeks in the tank and the fish only seem to care if they've moving quick near the surface. I'm actually looking at 2 amanos grazing on the same flat rock 2 adult rainbow darters and an itty bitty juvenile fantail darter are lined up watching me from. The fan shrimp just do not care and will be wherever the current is strongest.

Speaking of which, if you want fish who conspicuously watch you back rainbow darters are perfect.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I want some rainbow shiners.

I've noticed more white tips or missing leg tips on my serpent stars. They are loving voracious and active, the only thing that could nip them would be the goby, or each other?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Warbadger posted:

Speaking of which, if you want fish who conspicuously watch you back rainbow darters are perfect.
Flowerhorns are like that too, right?
There's one at the local store that will follow your finger around of you point at the tank. Seems like a fish with personality.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

Flowerhorns are like that too, right?
There's one at the local store that will follow your finger around of you point at the tank. Seems like a fish with personality.

Not sure, haven't owned those before. Darters are benthic fish, kinda like a super inquisitive freshwater goby that sits on the bottom propped up on their little fins as they watch the goings on in the outside world. They even turn their heads as you go by.

Lots of personality, but I've only had success getting them to eat brine frozen food (bloodworms, brine shrimp).

Cowslips Warren posted:

I want some rainbow shiners.

I'm shifting toward fireyblack shiners, which are also crazy colorful. I wish I'd been more decisive early on - my shiner ball is a mismatch of Scarlet, Satinfin, and Fieryblack now. I think it'd look better if it was same species.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 6, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

No matter how many times it's explained to me, I always seem to lose track of benthic vs pelagic.
I filled in a couple times for a solid month each, on a fisheries research vessel, and still couldn't keep it straight.
Thank you for the reminder.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

B33rChiller posted:

No matter how many times it's explained to me, I always seem to lose track of benthic vs pelagic.
I filled in a couple times for a solid month each, on a fisheries research vessel, and still couldn't keep it straight.
Thank you for the reminder.

Benthic = lazy fish.
Darters = lazy perch.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Goldfish have acclimated to their pond fairly well I think. Still need to come up with a couple names. They're definitely on the more fearless side. My 3yo kid can grab at them and they don't react much.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

I decided to upgrade my tank from a 29 gallon to a 46 gallon bowfront:

I've been keeping a journal of my progress on it from start to present on the Aquarium Co-op forum cause it's better at handling attachments than the SA forums:
https://forum.aquariumcoop.com/topic/31514-new-46-gallon-bowfront-build/

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Does anyone have any idea which plants Apple snails won't touch? Since putting one in my tank he's absolutely destroyed one plant and not touched the other one (elodea densa). I'd like to replace the eaten one with a couple that he might not readily consume.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

mitochondritom posted:

Does anyone have any idea which plants Apple snails won't touch? Since putting one in my tank he's absolutely destroyed one plant and not touched the other one (elodea densa). I'd like to replace the eaten one with a couple that he might not readily consume.

I've only had a few plants. Anubias they leave alone, elodea you already know they leave alone, java moss they leave alone, ludwigia they appear to leave alone but I only have one stem of that so I don't really know and pygmy chain sword they MOSTLY leave alone but I think they sometimes nip off the tips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Well, he was straight over to this Java Moss. Have to see what the carnage is like in the morning.