Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Stupid question time. I have an oil leak on the BP4W in my 98 Miat. It seems to be coming from the cams so I've bought new seals. When I install them am I lubing the centre so the cams can spin freely or is that not a requirement? I need a Tamiya-esque guide to show me where to dab grease etc :v:

Dip your finger in some oil (preferably fresh, but if you're not doing an oil change at the same time, any engine oil will work), wipe it around the inside and outside edges of the seals. Makes installation a lot easier, and the seals won't rip apart the first time you start the engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Dumb Question -

I've never had a backup camera before. After I installed a proper bracket, it actually points where it's supposed to! For the first time, I can see the utility of having one.

That said, the camera picture is absolutely useless if there is bright sunlight or any rain or moisture. It washes out immediately, like it has a spotlight pointed at it. Or moisture makes it look completely rubbed over with vasoline.

Is this a problem with the camera, the display, or just the way they function? I'll be replacing the head unit eventually, and want to know if I should plan to replace the camera along with it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I had a similar issue on my E39 where the hood latch cable was actually three separate Bowden cables. First one from handle to a join, second one from the join to the drivers side latch, third one from the drivers side latch to the passengers side latch. The middle one was binding a bit and not moving freely. The latch mechanisms might also require lubrication.
Could be, I'll check it out later when re-installing the battery. I don't have anyone to pull the handle for me but maybe I'll be able to see something just by looking at it.

Captain Log posted:

Dumb Question -

I've never had a backup camera before. After I installed a proper bracket, it actually points where it's supposed to! For the first time, I can see the utility of having one.

That said, the camera picture is absolutely useless if there is bright sunlight or any rain or moisture. It washes out immediately, like it has a spotlight pointed at it. Or moisture makes it look completely rubbed over with vasoline.

Is this a problem with the camera, the display, or just the way they function? I'll be replacing the head unit eventually, and want to know if I should plan to replace the camera along with it.

That's probably the camera. Rain and moisture could be getting on the lens, you could try some sort of water repelling coating on it. My cheapo camera isn't amazing either, but it's mostly useful under all conditions.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mobby_6kl posted:

Could be, I'll check it out later when re-installing the battery. I don't have anyone to pull the handle for me but maybe I'll be able to see something just by looking at it.

That's probably the camera. Rain and moisture could be getting on the lens, you could try some sort of water repelling coating on it. My cheapo camera isn't amazing either, but it's mostly useful under all conditions.

At least on the E39 you could find the join pretty easily (inside the engine bay) and open it up so you could pull on the second cable directly. That’s how I figured out what was going on.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

The thing that surprises me if just how badly it manages light. Anything looks drat near like a solar flare. I'm just not familiar enough with the tech to know what is at fault and eventually needs replacing.

Still, under good conditions, I'm pretty amazed at having a camera back there. I've got bad vision, so checking my periphery always involved whipping myself fully backwards, back and forth, to check blind spots. Not having to do that feels like voodoo.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
is it actually clean? a dirty lens can be like a dirty windshield, going opaque if it's facing into the light

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Raluek posted:

is it actually clean? a dirty lens can be like a dirty windshield, going opaque if it's facing into the light

I think so, but I'll give it another good scrub next time I go out. It wouldn't surprise me if it's something stupidly simple.

It is a ten year old camera, if that means anything.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain Log posted:

I think so, but I'll give it another good scrub next time I go out. It wouldn't surprise me if it's something stupidly simple.

It is a ten year old camera, if that means anything.

You could experiment with some shading for it. Use some cardboard to try various enclosure shapes that don't block its view much but give it some shielding.

If you find a configuration that works, you can then look into recreating it in something more durable.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Throttle Control Sensor question. GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0 gas. Had to jump it off because my dumbass left the lights on. However, after getting it cranked, I was getting a dash error about "reduced engine power". Looked it up, seems ot be the TCS. Took my kids to school in it (10MPH max, yay!). Turned off the truck to take them in, came out, cranked and drove fine. Would the low battery/having to boost the truck have caused the TCS failure, or was it something that once it warmed up it worked fine? Do I need to look at having it checked/replaced?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Gothmog1065 posted:

Throttle Control Sensor question. GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0 gas. Had to jump it off because my dumbass left the lights on. However, after getting it cranked, I was getting a dash error about "reduced engine power". Looked it up, seems ot be the TCS. Took my kids to school in it (10MPH max, yay!). Turned off the truck to take them in, came out, cranked and drove fine. Would the low battery/having to boost the truck have caused the TCS failure, or was it something that once it warmed up it worked fine? Do I need to look at having it checked/replaced?
If it's back to working normally after having brought the electrical system back to normal I'd assume it was just thrown off by low voltage on the jump start and it's fine now. Low voltage causes all kinds of weird failures.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Stupid question time. I have an oil leak on the BP4W in my 98 Miat. It seems to be coming from the cams so I've bought new seals. When I install them am I lubing the centre so the cams can spin freely or is that not a requirement? I need a Tamiya-esque guide to show me where to dab grease etc :v:

I usually go for a thin swipe of grease myself, regardless of where the seal is going - just something to prevent it from being dry the first time the shaft spins. All over the inside surface where the shaft itself contacts the seal.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It’s there any benefit to braided steel brake hoses if I’m not tracking my car? I need new pads and rotors and a bunch of people have suggested I get braided hoses at the same time. However, I’ve also read some articles and watched some videos that say they only last a couple of years since they’re less flexible so you should not buy them for a car that doesn’t see track use.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Apollo posted:

It’s there any benefit to braided steel brake hoses if I’m not tracking my car? I need new pads and rotors and a bunch of people have suggested I get braided hoses at the same time. However, I’ve also read some articles and watched some videos that say they only last a couple of years since they’re less flexible so you should not buy them for a car that doesn’t see track use.

I've never heard anything about them only lasting a limited time. They can make your pedal a little stiffer but honestly it's not going to be huge if you have a decent modern car. Are you doing this work yourself? It's much harder to replace lines than it is to do rotors + pads.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I discovered while I had the engine bay torn apart in the Canyon that they used braided lines to take up any vibration/movement between the master cylinder and the frame-mounted hardlines. So while not as much flex as the hoses at each caliper, they clearly expect that type of hose to last a long, long time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Not worth it for a street car. I considered it because I tow with my car and need all the braking power I can get, and even then the consensus was it ain't gonna make much difference.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Not worth it for a street car. I considered it because I tow with my car and need all the braking power I can get, and even then the consensus was it ain't gonna make much difference.
That's what I'm thinking right now. I live in a pretty level area so there are no hills or twisty roads and I'm not towing anything. They're relatively inexpensive so I figured if there was a benefit then I'd add them in while getting my brakes done.

VelociBacon posted:

I've never heard anything about them only lasting a limited time. They can make your pedal a little stiffer but honestly it's not going to be huge if you have a decent modern car. Are you doing this work yourself? It's much harder to replace lines than it is to do rotors + pads.
I've never heard that either. Here's a video from Savagegeese where he talks about them failing due to them being less flexible that rubber lines. The top pinned comment is some guy saying that when he was a mechanic, he'd regularly see them fail after a few months. That seems really extreme to me and I would have though if it was this big of a deal, you'd hear about this more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csV5gQo9wmc&t=110s

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 2, 2023

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Mr. Apollo posted:

That's what I'm thinking right now. I live in a pretty level area so there are no hills or twisty roads and I'm not towing anything. They're relatively inexpensive so I figured if there was a benefit then I'd add them in while getting my brakes done.

I've never heard that either. Here's a video from Savagegeese where he talks about them failing due to them being less flexible that rubber lines. The top pinned comment is some guy saying that when he was a mechanic, he'd regularly see them fail after a few months. That seems really extreme to me and I would have though if it was this big of a deal, you'd hear about this more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csV5gQo9wmc&t=110s

I've never heard of braided lines failing. It's still a rubber hose like a conventional brake line, it just hase the braided steel wrapping around it.

The only thing I will say is that I put braided lines on my 240SX way back when I swapped in the Z32 front brake calipers and brake master cylinder. The issue I encountered was that the circled fitting or bushing was binding or causing trouble on one of the front calipers. I can't recall the details exactly, but I had the car for 5 or 6 years and 50k miles with no issues related to the brakes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Many years ago I recall the issue with braided lines failing was because grit and crap got caught underneath the braiding which wore away at the rubber hose.

A solution was to cover that with a clear plastic sleeve.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I just fit braided to anything I work on simply because they're the same money and if I'm down there doing it anyway, why not? My MX5 has HEL on all 4 corners and the hard line in the rear L-R has been replaced with their braided piece too because it had rotted out after 24 years. System has been bled to perfection and the brakes feel beautiful.

My GS had HEL and I'm fairly certain the ones on my currently standing Supra were too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I'd definitely do it to an older sports car like a Miata if they needed replaced anyway might as well

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It’s a newer car (2019) but it’s time to replace the brake fluid and I need new pads and rotors. I figured since I was getting that all done I might as well replace the lines at the same time.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I tried to google the battery can't open the hood thing earlier in the thread thinking "wow that's incredibly stupid there must be some secret trick" but good luck finding out because after about the 5th AI generated article I was just about done.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rick posted:

I tried to google the battery can't open the hood thing earlier in the thread thinking "wow that's incredibly stupid there must be some secret trick" but good luck finding out because after about the 5th AI generated article I was just about done.

This is trying to google anything now. The modern internet sucks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I prefer having text that I can read at my own pace or reference easily, but finding a YouTube video seems to work better most of the time for me these days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

opengl posted:

Outside of SA you pretty much have to add reddit to the end of any search to find another human with the same problem, and hopefully another human with the solution.

Google is happily allowing automated garbage sites game search engine optimization to get their garbage to the top of every search, because their focus at this point is to try to never get you to click through to any website other than google.

Uthor posted:

I prefer having text that I can read at my own pace or reference easily, but finding a YouTube video seems to work better most of the time for me these days.

I prefer text so i can CTRL+F

There's nothing worse than searching for something that can be explained in a sentence and the only result is a 10 minute, 16 second video with the 10 second snippet you need randomly placed somewhere in the video.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Youtube search results are so dumb now though, only the first couple results have anything to do with what you search for.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I’m considering adding a hitch receiver to my E46 touring for a bike rack. The only option requires drilling into the underfloor spare wheel well in the cargo area and bolting there.

Should I worry about rust or leaks? We don’t really salt the roads where I live in the winter, although they do spray deicer and salt the occasional steep hill. Also don’t want to open the door to a foggy car.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
You could spray the tiny bare metal edges with Rust-Oleum and shove some butyl in and around the hole when bolting it up to seal it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Powershift posted:

Outside of SA you pretty much have to add reddit to the end of any search to find another human with the same problem, and hopefully another human with the solution.
Yeah, this is exactly why forums are so awesome.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

blk posted:

I’m considering adding a hitch receiver to my E46 touring for a bike rack. The only option requires drilling into the underfloor spare wheel well in the cargo area and bolting there.

Should I worry about rust or leaks? We don’t really salt the roads where I live in the winter, although they do spray deicer and salt the occasional steep hill. Also don’t want to open the door to a foggy car.

What metadew said is exactly what I was going to post, 100% agree.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Any recommendations for car history reporting? Carfax is robbery for an individual.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NVM, found the correct thread for car buying questions, should have read the OP first.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 3, 2023

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

opengl posted:

It's beyond bad and useless.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Any recommendations for car history reporting? Carfax is robbery for an individual.

$5.99 carfax: https://www.autovhr.com/deal/

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Is there a thread for discussion around the modern Chinese cars or would there be 0 posts due to them not existing in America?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

"NICB's VINCheck is a free lookup service provided to the public to assist in determining if a vehicle may have a record of an insurance theft claim, and has not been recovered, or has ever been reported as a salvage vehicle by participating NICB member insurance companies. "
https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

"Owners may not always know their recalled vehicle still needs to be repaired. NHTSA's new search tool lets you enter a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) to quickly learn if a specific vehicle has not been repaired as part of a safety recall in the last 15 years."
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/

These might help other car buyers as well

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

Is there a thread for discussion around the modern Chinese cars or would there be 0 posts due to them not existing in America?

Just Post, start one if you want, I don’t think we have one. The interest level though will not be large, we don’t have many forums China people and those cars are very alien in North America.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

If you add the vin to the end of this url it sometimes works.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Stupid question from my tired brain: would the best way to have bumper stickers without worrying about later removal be to simply lay down a bit of vinyl (or something) and stick it on top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I found a replacement regulator for my Fit's OEM alternator and thought I'd get it working again in case the parts store replacement shits itself. Physically replacing it seems like would be just a matter of unsoldering it from the diode pack. But the product page had this helpful pinout chart, which gave me the idea that I should test it to make sure it's actually working, before relying on it for anything.

Are these somehow standardized? I get that the PWM signal is supposed to control output voltage, but what's the frequency and voltage? Is "ignition" just +12v? What the hell is "Lamp"? :)