Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like the villain team in Unicorn: Warriors Eternal should spend less time reanimating royal pet elephants and more time trying to recruit the Warriors E by telling them about how the bad guys offer vacation time and dental plans.

Are they really the bad guys? The whole concept of overwriting a persons complete body and mind is a bit hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wow Unicorn is fuckin beautiful

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
You can tell Unicorn isn't actually an Adult Swim show and was put on the channel last-ish minute, with a TV PG rating (like CN's flagship shows from the early 10s), and they're even rerunning it on the actual programming block on Cartoon Network proper that it was meant for (Acme Night, a programming block that airs Sundays from 6-9 that airs movies and occasional shows that are aimed older than main CN programming like Bob's Burgers). Wouldn't be surprised if it's gonna be a similar situation with that Superman show.

wikipedia posted:

In addition to its Adult Swim airings, the series will run weekly encores on Toonami, as well as rerunning on Cartoon Network's ACME Night programming block. Michael Ouweleen claims this is because “By programming this during peak hours and re-airing across multiple dayparts, we are ensuring that all generations of animation fans can see this event-level series.”

Anyways I hope it doesn't whiff the ending like some of Genndy's other recent stuff.

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 7, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
There's something about the line quality & consistency that seems off with this new one.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Pachylad posted:

This is the closest thing to a thread for Bob's Burgers right? Can I just say that the show should honestly get rid of Teddy?

Here's something closer:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013280

There are others who share your dislike of Teddy (there's a recent episode I thought was a bit much). I'll continue to hold out hope that Mort gets more lines.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Are they really the bad guys? The whole concept of overwriting a persons complete body and mind is a bit hosed up.

That was my first thought and I'm so glad they immediately ran with it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's little terrible con artist (in that he's bad at being a con artist) frog alien named Turgle in Jedi: Survivor and his voice was driving me crazy on how familiar he sounded and turns out he's Moxxie's voice actor Richard Horvitz.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dawgstar posted:

There's little terrible con artist (in that he's bad at being a con artist) frog alien named Turgle in Jedi: Survivor and his voice was driving me crazy on how familiar he sounded and turns out he's Invader Zim

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I always think of him as Billy

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Richard Horvitz is one of those VAs who just has the one voice, but he does it well.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah, like Patrick Warburton. Their delivery is impeccable and makes it a moot point that they're not men of a thousand voices.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Voice of a thousand mens

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Richard Horvitz manages to make all his voices still sound distinct even though they're all basically just his one voice.

Like you put say Moxxie, Zim, Dagget, Raz one after the other, they are all the same general voice but the inflections he uses with them are all pretty different. I think one of the big outliers is Billy who I didn't even realize was Richard Horvitz for a long time

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
The weirdest part is that he just sounds like that IRL, full Warburton situation

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

He’s the one in a million sort of situation where “hey you sound funny, you should be a voice actor” actually worked out.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

Richard Horvitz manages to make all his voices still sound distinct even though they're all basically just his one voice.

Like you put say Moxxie, Zim, Dagget, Raz one after the other, they are all the same general voice but the inflections he uses with them are all pretty different. I think one of the big outliers is Billy who I didn't even realize was Richard Horvitz for a long time

Dude's a pro, he really knows how to convey a character's personality through how they speak.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The first time I watched Helluva Boss I thought to myself, "there's something about this that feels like the people working on it grew up being fans of Invader Zim" and that was BEFORE Moxxie even showed up

Bless Richard Horvitz. I hope he gets to be in Hamilton one day like he dreams about :allears:

edit: #HAM4HORVITZ

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 8, 2023

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
My biggest WTF was finding out he voiced Alpha 5 in Power Rangers and he wasn't credit under his real name for a bit and was using a pseudonym as Richard Woods.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shindragon posted:

My biggest WTF was finding out he voiced Alpha 5 in Power Rangers and he wasn't credit under his real name for a bit and was using a pseudonym as Richard Woods.

It was honestly a delivery where he went high pitched like Alpha that made me look Turgle's actor.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Shindragon posted:

Holy gently caress what? This knocked me on my rear end, drat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

The first time I watched Helluva Boss I thought to myself, "there's something about this that feels like the people working on it grew up being fans of Invader Zim" and that was BEFORE Moxxie even showed up

Bless Richard Horvitz. I hope he gets to be in Hamilton one day like he dreams about :allears:

edit: #HAM4HORVITZ

I'm picturing him playing King George now and just having a blast with all three iterations of You'll Be Back.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm picturing him playing King George now and just having a blast with all three iterations of You'll Be Back.

He. Would. Kill. It. :swoon:

edit: I wish I could draw so I could draw Moxxie dressed as King George, to wash the taste of the coronation out of my mouth. I think he would be very pleased with his fancy crown. Like that bugs bunny meme

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 8, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Unicorn Eternals has some really inconsistent animation quality. There's a shot where the shapes weren't in proper order so you could see the end of the jaw animate through the wrong parts, even. I don't think they figured out how to deal with the line quality, either. It's kinda rough tbh

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

There are others who share your dislike of Teddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFY_P67NAzk

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
They handled the "Meg marries Russian guy" arc so phenomenally poorly on Family Guy, it's not even funny. Literally! :haw:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Are people still watching Family Guy? By which I mean actually watching and not just putting it on out of habit and reflexively laughing out of years of conditioning.

It became a parody of itself long ago, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they'd quietly swapped out the writing team for AI by now.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are people still watching Family Guy? By which I mean actually watching and not just putting it on out of habit and reflexively laughing out of years of conditioning.

Oh, it's a habit for me, mostly without the laughing though. :geno:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Pachylad posted:

This is the closest thing to a thread for Bob's Burgers right? Can I just say that the show should honestly get rid of Teddy?

Sounds like someone needs a bacon burger.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It became a parody of itself long ago, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they'd quietly swapped out the writing team for AI by now.

I mean I still watch the occasional clip of it when it pops up in my YouTube recommendations. I feel like that's probably the primary way people consume it nowadays. But I mean I could see it being a good background watch while you're doing other things since due to its rapid-fire joke structure any random episode could have a good cutaway even if there's 10 other bad ones surrounding it.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I only watch family guy when I'm too depressed to watch something I think I'd enjoy :effort:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

TwoPair posted:

But I mean I could see it being a good background watch while you're doing other things since due to its rapid-fire joke structure any random episode could have a good cutaway even if there's 10 other bad ones surrounding it.

This is exactly how I “watch” it—it just comes up on my Plex library while I’m cleaning or on my computer or folding laundry. I never actually sit and give it most of my attention.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

YeahTubaMike posted:

They handled the "Meg marries Russian guy" arc so phenomenally poorly on Family Guy, it's not even funny. Literally! :haw:

As apparently the only other person in this thread (in America?) who also keeps up with new episodes of Family Guy I've got to say I agree with you. It was such a weird and pointless storyline to stretch out over two episodes; in a show that regularly cares so little about continuity why was this the thing they felt compelled to linger on? I did think Rachel McFarlane did a good job singing the Disney princess-style spoof song they did, even if none of the jokes in the song landed for me (that's not her fault, she didn't write it).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Macaluso posted:

i think moxxie is closet to his normal voice funnily enough, he just pitches it up to do screams and poo poo.

https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1655478245813518337

new episode soon, probably in the next week or so.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh, it's a habit for me, mostly without the laughing though. :geno:

i just watch the compliations on youtube sometimes. most of the jokes suck but occsionally one of the dark ones make me chuckle. like the litter box one.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

theyre putting it on out habit then scrolling social media/playing candy crush like with everything else on tv now

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Are there are good portals where people upload short animations outside of youtube these days? I'm thinking like newgrounds was in the old days kind of thing, but maybe better and/or curated or something.

I know you can just find things on youtube but searching for animations on there tends to bring up a lot of either corny or childish stuff. There's no real rating system or genre type of searching.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think moxxie is closet to his normal voice funnily enough, he just pitches it up to do screams and poo poo.

https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1655478245813518337

new episode soon, probably in the next week or so.

i just watch the compliations on youtube sometimes. most of the jokes suck but occsionally one of the dark ones make me chuckle. like the litter box one.

I'm so excited :supaburn:

Vivzie also hinted at some big news soon. Wonder if it might have anything to do Hazbin?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think there's much more curated these days, but Newgrounds is still around, and I think it might've mellowed a bit with age? With Youtube you might have more luck when looking through the "shorts" rather than the full videos, I think some animators are preferring those. A lot of animators also put their stuff on twitter, but now's not a great time to get into twitter. There's even some animation on Deviantart these days.

Browsing is always tough though, I guess it's easier to try following individual artists? Maybe go looking for big collab videos and follow up people on there whose style you like?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

roomtone posted:

Are there are good portals where people upload short animations outside of youtube these days? I'm thinking like newgrounds was in the old days kind of thing, but maybe better and/or curated or something.

I know you can just find things on youtube but searching for animations on there tends to bring up a lot of either corny or childish stuff. There's no real rating system or genre type of searching.

You probably aren't going to find a full platform like youtube but niche community of hobby animators sharing their content by posting it to their discord / forums and use youtube (or discord) for storage probably exists.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Not the greatest way, but if you follow animators you already know of and like on their socials, sometimes they recommend/repost stuff they like or that their friends make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

seems like a weird and obvious hole in the ecosystem to me. even just a youtube animation subsite kind of thing would do, but i don't think that exists. i suppose i'll start checking newgrounds, i assumed it was a dead website but it doesn't seem to be actually so that's cool. just found a series called sublo and tangy mustard which actually was well made and written, so that's a promising start.