Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

Indeed. It makes perfect sense on a chart such as this that the only directional arrows should be pointing from descriptions to the things they're immediately beside rather than guiding the reader in a particular direction through a linear chronology.

Every first letter a different color... :discourse:

e: #SpeakHisName? :crossarms:

HISTORY MONKS ... PATH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like the duckman. And foul ole ron. Millenium hand and shrimp.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Piss Creep posted:

The Hitchhikers guy should have just gone online and learned stuff and made a better book

Pretty sure he was a freakishly early adopter.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

My favorite Douglas Adams quote is, "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

Me too.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Piss Creep posted:

The Hitchhikers guy should have just gone online and learned stuff and made a better book

Lol, I’m not sure Douglas Adams had access to ARPAnet. The Internet didn’t exist in 1979

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It also feels very much like a dig at Addams and the two-faced Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Zaphod having two heads and three arms was originally written as a throwaway joke for the radio series because when you're on radio you can get away with things like that. It carried over to the books for much the same reason. Then they got to making the BBC miniseries and realized oh, poo poo, we've got to actually show two heads. It was not a success.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But it was still better than the movie.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bW4vEo1F4E

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
When I was in middle school I had a copy of the Complete Hitchhiker's Guide that I would read every summer. "The Restaurant At The End of The Universe" was my favorite of the novels. I remember them being silly breezy reads and when I think of those books I'm reminded of hot sunny summer afternoons and long hikes to perfect reading spots. Condolences to anyone who did not enjoy the books.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Trixie Hardcore posted:

When I was in middle school I had a copy of the Complete Hitchhiker's Guide that I would read every summer. "The Restaurant At The End of The Universe" was my favorite of the novels. I remember them being silly breezy reads and when I think of those books I'm reminded of hot sunny summer afternoons and long hikes to perfect reading spots. Condolences to anyone who did not enjoy the books.

I think "silly" is a good word to describe why I liked the books as a kid. I also read and re-read them a lot, and enjoyed them a great deal, but in retrospect it was because a lot of the elements that feel so tiresome now just kinda flew over my head back in the day, and I was able to enjoy what felt like lighthearted and surreal comedy.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Not sure why everyone is so particularly down on the movie. I enjoyed watching it well enough. I liked the Vogon planet where you get hit in the face with a spade when you have an idea. and the point of view gun. Really the bits I liked was the new stuff that I hadn't seen already in the books. and probably a lot of people were watching it wanting to see the same jokes and plot points as were in the books and radio show, and if they had just stuck to that it would have been lazy as poo poo, so I'm glad they didn't do that.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It's fine to do new stuff. The book, radio show and TV show were all different. The bits in the movie that stuck closest to established sketches were frankly tired, eg the falling whale.
It was neat to see it done with a budget and the cast were mostly very well chosen.
I disliked the ending a lot. Earth is recreated, everyone is brought back to life, Arthur confesses his love for Trillian and they all fly off as best friends forever for new adventures. So safe and Holywood and bleh.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Hammerite posted:

Not sure why everyone is so particularly down on the movie. I enjoyed watching it well enough. I liked the Vogon planet where you get hit in the face with a spade when you have an idea. and the point of view gun. Really the bits I liked was the new stuff that I hadn't seen already in the books. and probably a lot of people were watching it wanting to see the same jokes and plot points as were in the books and radio show, and if they had just stuck to that it would have been lazy as poo poo, so I'm glad they didn't do that.

Because anything more highbrow than Air Bud goes right over their heads op

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Smugworth posted:

Because anything more highbrow than Air Bud goes right over their heads op

its a book 12 year olds read, its not exactly what you'd call highbrow

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Caesar Saladin posted:

High brow is when things make you go "Heh, I also know this thing" instead of actually laughing.

Anyone claiming Air Bud isn't funny hasn't seen the Air Bud production's title card.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

its not exactly the most sophisticated comedy around, its really a book for 14 year olds

Caesar Saladin posted:

Well what is it, is it for 12 year olds or 14 year olds you enormous PHONEY

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Howard Beale posted:

Zaphod having two heads and three arms was originally written as a throwaway joke for the radio series because when you're on radio you can get away with things like that. It carried over to the books for much the same reason. Then they got to making the BBC miniseries and realized oh, poo poo, we've got to actually show two heads. It was not a success.

It really is funny how that situation left such an opening for jokes but following the book was too sacred. Just have only one head and make that in itself a running gag! Characters bring up he had 2, and every time he has a different response

"Well I did always say I'd lose it if it weren't screwed on, looks like I was right!"

"I lost it in the war"
"It got blown off?!"
"No, I said I lost it"

"It's vacationing on the fourth moon of Pluto with some lovely drinks"

"You asked the same questions when I went from 3 to 2!"

Etc

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hammerite posted:

You are describing liking the stuff that Adams didn't actually write. The stuff that isn't actually Hitchhiker's. Well, for the most part the whole movie wasn't written by him which is why it's not funny. It's based on his script but mangled so badly by someone who didn't get the humor. That's why it is hated.

The perfect example is the button on the wall in the airlock.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

You are describing liking the stuff that Adams didn't actually write. The stuff that isn't actually Hitchhiker's. Well, for the most part the whole movie wasn't written by him which is why it's not funny. It's based on his script but mangled so badly by someone who didn't get the humor. That's why it is hated.

The perfect example is the button on the wall in the airlock.

Details?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
In every version is HHGG until the movie, arthur/ford are in the airlock, arthur says "i guess that's it, we're gonna die." ford says yes, oh wait, what's this button? What button. I was just messing with you, we're gonna die.

In the movie, there's a button that doesn't do anything.

So previously, it is kinda funny cuz ford is loving with him and is twisted in the head. In the movie the joke is entirely removed and becomes pointless. It shows the director just had no idea what he was doing. There are other bits like that but that is probably the most egregious.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Note: that joke is originally followed up by Arthur complaining that at times like this when he is about to be ejected into space he wishes he'd listened to what his mother told him when he was little. Ford asks what that was? Arthur replies that he wasn't listening.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I saw the movie but I don't really remember it beyond liking the scene where they use the Improbability Drive and liking the look of Magrathea and disliking the stuff with John Malkovich although I don't remember what the stuff with him was.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I saw the movie but I don't really remember it beyond liking the scene where they use the Improbability Drive and liking the look of Magrathea and disliking the stuff with John Malkovich although I don't remember what the stuff with him was.

He was a head that walked around on a hundred little robot legs

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I remember not understanding a loving word Bey or Rockwell said because they were speedy mumbling.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jestery posted:

I liked the movie :(

i liked parts of it and the general design/propwork

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 6, 2023

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
guy who goes to a movie knowing exactly what jokes he wants to see told, in what way, and gets super bent out of shape if there's a speck of originality in it because that's not what douglas adams wrote!!!

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

Hammerite posted:

And all the vogons were designed with flat snub noses by the Henson company because of said spade hitting.

naem
May 29, 2011

I don’t remember the vikings or them floating down from the ceiling at all somehow

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Torquemada posted:

I remember not understanding a loving word Bey or Rockwell said because they were speedy mumbling.

The problem with Sam Rockwell is that he made the movie at a time where he thought the best way to play an impulsive, irresponsible leader was to do it up George W Bush cowboy style, yee-haw, which really didn't fit with the tone of the rest of the movie and was annoying to boot

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
So, for some good fun, I decided to Wayback the old Coming Attractions site for their news on Hitchhikers from about 20 years ago, so pre-movie stuff.
https://web.archive.org/web/20030210161352/http://corona.bc.ca/films/details/hitchhikersguide.html

God, I usually eat these sort of things up, but I can't even get into this. What the gently caress am I even reading here?!

"March 12, 1998... Douglas Adams gave a speech to the SQL server group at Microsoft in Seattle Tuesday March 10th."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually heard it and figured it kinda works that Futurama is probably the closest thing to a good American version of Hitchhiker's Guide.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think a lot of the interest in Hitchhikers started to die when the Nu-Who stuff started coming out. It seems like whatever the cool kid fandom charm it had, it was nuWho that was maybe more what mainstream and cult audiences wanted out of wacky space travel fish-out-of-water stuff.

Then on the US side of things it seems like everything I see of the last 20-40 years of Legends of Tomorrow seems like once they got out of that first season or so, it's been similar, but I don't think that show has anything near the Who-levels of accumulated fandom.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Man, Michael Keaton could have been a killer Zaphod.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Nick Cage imo.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

The book just doesn’t translate well to a movie because most of the jokes are as expository lines from the author. Yes the dialogue has some jokes but so much of the novel is written “this is Douglas Adams being silly directly at you.” If you try to put that on screen with a narrator doing exposition or Family Guy style cutaways it is jarring and not very funny. If you try to work those jokes in as new dialogue it’s also generally not done well.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I don't know if there's a specific term for it, but the rock star author era of speculative fiction from the 90s-2000s.

In that link I posted a few posts back, Adams was seemingly showing up everywhere in the 90s for little reason but always to huge audiences for Hitchhikers. I'm not thinking those were isolated, either. Orson Scott Card and Ender's Game used to have the same public appearances and fan adulation and hype for an eventual movie. Scott Adams, Alan Moore, and Neil Gaiman I think were similarly maybe less frequent on that tour circuit, but shared a lot of similar audiences with similar feelings towards 'establish industry' vs. them as creatives, Hollywood being too stupid to really adapt their works, etc.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
lol

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:

JediTalentAgent posted:

Scott Adams, Alan Moore, and Neil Gaiman

I could kick these dudes' asses

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't know if there's a specific term for it, but the rock star author era of speculative fiction from the 90s-2000s.

In that link I posted a few posts back, Adams was seemingly showing up everywhere in the 90s for little reason but always to huge audiences for Hitchhikers. I'm not thinking those were isolated, either. Orson Scott Card and Ender's Game used to have the same public appearances and fan adulation and hype for an eventual movie. Scott Adams, Alan Moore, and Neil Gaiman I think were similarly maybe less frequent on that tour circuit, but shared a lot of similar audiences with similar feelings towards 'establish industry' vs. them as creatives, Hollywood being too stupid to really adapt their works, etc.

It's because nerds could finally get together online and form their own communities, write the fanfiction, act it out in the MUDs, all without the shame they deserved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

MUDs ruled