Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My Clase Azul bottle took the brunt of a bunch of weight falling on top of the Rubbermaid bin it was in and saving the rest of my bottles from being crushed during my last move.

Like Mother Ginger protecting its tequila children beneath its skirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Hmm how do I get gin out of my tv?

As far as household items to get gin from, bathtubs are usually better.

Made a Negroni Bianco the other day with Lillet Blanc, Suze, and Tanqueray. Was pretty tasty, but should probably be a Negroni Giallo.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I like the version with suze fine, but I really like the negroni bianco with the luxardo bitter bianco. Plus it's actually bianco then!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I read that Old Overholt changed their bill up this year (they added a 4-year age statement), so I decided I wanted to do some bourbon/rye tastings and my wife wanted to try some amarettos (disaronno not pictured) :)

Oh i also picked up some Suze and Lillet, gonna make that Negroni variation tomorrow!

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 8, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
What were the results? Including the amaretto, because I have been sticking with Luxardo for years and have been thinking of mixing it up

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Well, I've had several at this point so detailed reviews will be forthcoming, but the Lazzaroni is fuller and sweeter than disaronno, it's really delightful. The Luxardo is also delicious, but significantly more complex, reminding me that amaretto means "little Amaro" if that makes sense?

As far as straight rankings, Woodford Reserve > Elijah Craig >>> Basil Hayden (EC is one of my go-to's, I love it but the Woodford beats it out IMO. The Hayden is eh. Certainly not worth the price).

For ryes I have to resample and get back to you, but really all 3 of them are superb. The Old Overholt Bonded stands out though, it's spicy but still sweet and omg. It's only $4 more than the regular stuff too!

They had the 114 proof but... Next time. I spent too much today lol

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 8, 2023

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Well, I've had several at this point so detailed reviews will be forthcoming, but the Lazzaroni is fuller and sweeter than disaronno, it's really delightful. The Luxardo is also delicious, but significantly more complex, reminding me that amaretto means "little Amaro" if that makes sense?

As far as straight rankings, Woodford Reserve > Elijah Craig >>> Basil Hayden (EC is one of my go-to's, I love it but the Woodford beats it out IMO. The Hayden is eh. Certainly not worth the price).

For ryes I have to resample and get back to you, but really all 3 of them are superb. The Old Overholt Bonded stands out though, it's spicy but still sweet and omg. It's only $4 more than the regular stuff too!

They had the 114 proof but... Next time. I spent too much today lol

Goon reviews like this are why you fuckers bleed me dry when I go to total wine. I gotta go get the luxardo amaretto AND Bianco bitters and some rye.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I haven’t had the Luxardo, but Lazzaroni’s amaretto is killer and a league above Disaronno. I had a few Godfathers (amaretto + scotch, rocks) over the winter and they are very nice.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh yeah I also got a 3-pack of Underberg 20mL bottles and I just had one after dinner and I feel like I just won a boxing match (alert and happy and victorious but also like I've been punched in the head a bunch)

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Underberg also kicks rear end. I get a large pack of em and serve after Thanksgiving dinner, it rules.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Scythe posted:

I haven’t had the Luxardo, but Lazzaroni’s amaretto is killer and a league above Disaronno. I had a few Godfathers (amaretto + scotch, rocks) over the winter and they are very nice.

Paolucci is my favorite amaretto but Lazzaroni is my 2nd for sure

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Scythe posted:

Underberg also kicks rear end. I get a large pack of em and serve after Thanksgiving dinner, it rules.

My old bar in NYC had one of the belts of underberg single bottles and throwing one down at the end of the session was the perfect little boost to get me through a cold walk home.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Underberg is beautiful and perfect. There's a place here that serves Underberg hot chocolate in winter and it's fantastic. They also take a buck off the price if you let them keep the cap, since you can trade those in to Underberg for cool merch.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Underberg is great, and you can buy it on Amazon since it's regulated like vanilla extract rather than an alcoholic bitters, which is hilarious.

prayer group posted:

They also take a buck off the price if you let them keep the cap, since you can trade those in to Underberg for cool merch.

Yo holy poo poo

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
About how much vodka should I add to a 500ml batch of 2:1 Ginger Syrup? The last couple bottles I made fermented on me before I could finish them and I'd really like this one to stay for longer.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Strange Matter posted:

About how much vodka should I add to a 500ml batch of 2:1 Ginger Syrup? The last couple bottles I made fermented on me before I could finish them and I'd really like this one to stay for longer.

2:1 simple syrup should theoretically be shelf stable unrefrigerated, although maybe ginger somehow changes things. I add about 1.5oz of vodka to each of my various 750ml tiki syrup bottles and keep them in the fridge and I've yet to have one go bad in any way. My first batch was over a year old before I finally decided to throw out what was left of them and get fresh ones, although there didn't seem to be anything wrong with them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Theoretically. First time I made it it went moldy in like a week. I've had some 2:1 in the fridge for a few months and it still seems fine.

Far as I know the vodka thing is a myth, you're not adding anything close to enough alcohol for it to work.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Grand Fromage posted:

Theoretically. First time I made it it went moldy in like a week. I've had some 2:1 in the fridge for a few months and it still seems fine.

Far as I know the vodka thing is a myth, you're not adding anything close to enough alcohol for it to work.
Alright, I'll just fridge it then. I intentionally made a smaller batch (I was doing 750mls before) because I love the stuff but I don't drink quite enough of it I guess so maybe smaller batches will help as well.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I always do 2 to 1, leave it on the counter, and it always crystalizes before any mold shows up.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I always do 2 to 1, leave it on the counter, and it always crystalizes before any mold shows up.
It's possible that my bottle wasn't perfectly sanitized as well before; I don't have a pot big enough to submerge a full 750ml bottle so I had to settle for dousing and filling it with boiling kettle water after washing it really well. The 500ml bottle I used fit in just fine.

All I know is that the last two 750s I made both fermented on the counter before I finished them. One ended up with much pressure it felt like opening a bottle of prosecco.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve done 2:1 and 1:1 and it would take months before they went bad, I think from yeast, in the fridge

My roommate moved out and left behind a bottle of retail simple syrup and that’s what I’m currently using. The magic of benzoates! sodium metabisulfite!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 9, 2023

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Steve Yun posted:

I’ve done 2:1 and 1:1 and it would take months before they went bad, I think from yeast, in the fridge

My roommate moved out and left behind a bottle of retail simple syrup and that’s what I’m currently using. The magic of benzoates! sodium metabisulfite!
How is that poo poo? Noticeably worse or weird?

I typically make 2:1 Demerara simple once a month. Crystallizes pretty badly by week 3. I'm lazy enough to consider retail simple if it's not garbage.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

Not much. I shoot for at least 2.5%abv. 2 oz of 40 proof would be plenty.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I know 2:1 simple is supposed to stay good on the shelf forever, but it never does. Just fridge it. Whatever I'm doing wrong, it's not worth the trouble to get it right, honestly

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I do 1:1 turbinado simple with a pinch of salt and no heating and it lasts many weeks in the fridge, always gone before it turns. No alcohol stabilizer but I do rinse everything that’s going to touch it (blender, funnel, not bottle because I always use unrinsed empty liquor bottles) with Star San solution. Every bar should have a squirt bottle of that around, if made with purified water it’s shelf life is indefinite.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pander posted:

How is that poo poo? Noticeably worse or weird?

I typically make 2:1 Demerara simple once a month. Crystallizes pretty badly by week 3. I'm lazy enough to consider retail simple if it's not garbage.

It's exactly the same as homemade. I only make syrup if I want to do something special, if it's just basic simple I use the store stuff.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I really love demerara over simple for just about anything and it's so easy to make. I gave smaller decorative bottles to a few friends and they all commented it improved their drinks, which was nice :)

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
i've never had 2:1 simple go bad on me, but my Demerara definitely got sketchy. Weirdly enough I made some 2:1 Orgeat like a year ago that still seems totally fine. It's only the Ginger that routinely fails me.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I fridge all my syrups and they last until they're gone. Why risk it.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm a savage who uses Splenda - it dissolves easily enough at desired concentrations to not need a simple syrup of it at all

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Alucard posted:

I'm a savage who uses Splenda - it dissolves easily enough at desired concentrations to not need a simple syrup of it at all

Mods please ban this piece of poo poo.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Carillon posted:

I like the version with suze fine, but I really like the negroni bianco with the luxardo bitter bianco. Plus it's actually bianco then!

It was great with Suze Saveur d'Autrefois which is supposed to be more like the original, more bitter and less sweet, but I think it was a limited edition, at least in America, and I can't find it anywhere anymore

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

A God drat Ghost posted:

I fridge all my syrups and they last until they're gone. Why risk it.
Limited fridge space. Honestly thinking of getting a minifridge just for syrups and vermouth.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

It was great with Suze Saveur d'Autrefois which is supposed to be more like the original, more bitter and less sweet, but I think it was a limited edition, at least in America, and I can't find it anywhere anymore

Oh weird that's actually the one I got, I didn't see "regular" Suze anywhere. This one, right?

I actually made that white (yellow) negroni posted earlier (suze/lillet blanc/gin) and tbh, it's pretty low on my Negroni rankings. Gorgeous color though!

Any other suggestions for Suze cocktails?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Booties posted:

Mods please ban this piece of poo poo.

This person is fine

Grand Fromage posted:

It's exactly the same as homemade. I only make syrup if I want to do something special, if it's just basic simple I use the store stuff.

This person however…
It’s called simple syrup. Get a mason jar, label and date it, put in 6oz of warm water, and stir in 6oz of sugar. Go do something else, and when you come back, you have 10oz of simple syrup.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Strange Matter posted:

Limited fridge space. Honestly thinking of getting a minifridge just for syrups and vermouth.

I did exactly this and don't regret it.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
re: Chartreuse chat: Over the weekend I got a recommendation for Faccia Brutto Centerbe from a knowledgeable spirit shop owner. According to him, this is really similar to green Chartreuse, only less sweet:

I haven't tried it yet and have almost no experience with Chartreuse cocktails at all, but I figured I'd try making a Last Word as a test. This bottle was $60, but at least it's available.

fake edit: there's also Végétal de la Grande-Chartreuse, which was described as "basically Chartreuse flavor in a bitters." Haven't picked that up yet.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The centerbe I've had has been like toothpaste flavored rocket fuel. I love it, but it's not chartreuse.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Faccia’s centerbe is the closest thing to chartreuse I’ve had that isn’t chartreuse. It’s a good drink. It’s still not chartreuse.

Speaking of, it’s all over the place in NYC. Both varieties. Not marked up more than usual that I’ve noticed. Selection seemed a bit sparser last year if I remember right, so maybe it’ll get better in the rest of the US over the next few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Prayer group, I finally made the coffee liqueur recipe you shared. It’s good!