Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Like 5 days into this game and I found my first Endura Mushroom lol.

I think taking hearts is a real choice in this game. Maybe there's some way to eventually farm or grind whatever yellow heart foods there are if you really try, but in BotW you didn't have to, those foods were everywhere even if you didn't go durian hunting or whatever. This game I seem to get more glow foods than anything lol. They were also very scared players might ever run out of glowberries.

I've fought several enemies I just don't have the defense or hearts to take even 1 hit from. Faeries also love to float to high to catch, is there another way to catch them. I tried shooting one lol, I think I hit it but it didn't seem to have a hitbox just flew away like any fast movement. Also they don't do the music for a faerie fountain when you're clearly at one in the sky. The music's killer in most regards, weird absence there. I love that melody, the mood for those fountain islands is the right peaceful vibe though.

I miss my durians :(

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and run higher-armor gear and properly upgrade it, stuff in the depths dealing semi-permanent health damage suddenly makes "just eat a turnip about it" not as viable as it used to be anyways

I'm at 22 hearts and I'm still getting 2-shot in my 2-star stealth pajamas by the theoretically-endgame stuff

re: fairies (and anything else that you catch), the +stealth gear means they don't run away as long as you walk and frequently don't run away at a non-sprint run, so I usually end up just standing underneath them until I'm really certain they're close enough to grab if I jump for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yarrington posted:

There’s really two kinds of puzzles in this game, totally open ended “get this from here to there” that let you explore and come up with your own solution, and very finicky “get this rotated/attached exactly right” that often want more precision than I at least am capable. The multitude of visual effects (green border, red glow, orange highlights) when you’re using hand gets really annoying as sometimes it interferes with lining things up.

But then you get one of those first kind and come up with a bonkers solution and it’s game of the year

Yeah, the one major complaint I have is that building things especially is a little TOO exact. Which would be less of a problem if there were a better UI or manner of handling it. Rotating stuff is annoying as hell considering you have to cycle to some extent. Objects tend to stick in the wrong places which can gently caress something you've spent minutes setting up. Most of all, WHY CAN'T YOU CLICK IN THE RIGHT STICK to detach instead of wiggling it, which could potentially also gently caress things up?

I think they made the system slightly too complex in certain ways while not making it complex enough in other ways for QoL interactions with the ways that it is too complex.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Wiggling the right stick to unstick sucks.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Wiggling the right stick to detach kind of makes me hate the game considering how much stuff you need to build. It's so bad.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life

Wiltsghost posted:

you can also unstick with gyro controls

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I cannot get higher than 69 on this test of strength bell minigame. I know there's some way to build some kind of rocket hammer with the wheel but I keep making my whole contraption fly away or fall apart

Edit okay I got 96 using 4x rockets glued to a rock lol. I'm out of money tho and still only got opals for that

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 7, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Costco Meatballs posted:

will this ever stop working? such a weird challenge to appear so often and always be exactly the same

Wait, you're actually supposed to help this stupid rear end in a top hat? I thought it was some dumb comic thing and he's never able to keep the sign up (assuming he'd do it later).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

sigher posted:

Wait, you're actually supposed to help this stupid rear end in a top hat? I thought it was some dumb comic thing and he's never able to keep the sign up (assuming he'd do it later).

Lmao your meanass link just laughing at this idiot and walking straight by cackling every time

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wiltsghost posted:

Don’t really understand this tbh. I find it pretty fun

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Escobarbarian posted:

I think it's a neat idea, like you're loosening the part off, but I've had it where I'm navigating something and I've made just enough back and forth movement that I detached poo poo that I didn't want to. Making this just a button press would have been a lot better.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I'm stuck here on this shrine, anyone done this?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

African AIDS cum posted:

yep

make an E

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

African AIDS cum posted:

I tried that last part for like a good hour or so and couldn't get it. Definitely an instance of needing to build something too exact to do it the "proper" way.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Costco Meatballs posted:

will this ever stop working? such a weird challenge to appear so often and always be exactly the same

Iirc I've run into one sign with a very different shape and one sign that didn't really have many supplies nearby, but yeah generally you can just find a design and stick with it for all of them. It makes it even funnier when he gets so shocked and says he never would've thought of it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sigher posted:

Lol, this makes me like the game even more. Yeah not sure if there's special reward for doing all of them or something, but he throws you some rupees and food and stuff if you can make a structure that keeps it standing

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

BabyRyoga posted:

I tried that last part for like a good hour or so and couldn't get it. Definitely an instance of needing to build something too exact to do it the "proper" way.

that's wild to me, I just slapped fans on this and it worked first try

I'm playing on hardware so I wonder if some of the jankier physics puzzles are iffier on emulator

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

It makes me take my hand off the controller since I have thumb joint issues and change how I hold the controller. Having to do this every time really sucks.

E: now that I think about it maybe I can rebind it to something else in the emulator, probably not

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm playing on hardware so I wonder if some of the jankier physics puzzles are iffier on emulator

It was because I was trying variations of an entirely different thing, and it kept just barely failing because the fan physics are too simplified. I eventually remembered something else I needed to do and decided to come back later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
All weekend my goal was to unlock all the great faeries but I cannot stop getting sidetracked. I'm on great plateau now doing some quest line that's turned out to be much bigger than I expected.

Also I love the horns that play when you dive underground.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Wiltsghost posted:

Wiggling the right stick to unstick

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Wiggling the right stick to detach

YOU CAN DO THAT?!

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

It kept getting stuck for me when the rails turned, tried again today and eventually i let it sit and it worked itself unstuck after a few mins

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Am I missing something with the wind boss? He seems to be only damagable by arrows which is fine until I run out and afaik there are no more

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yes you are missing something and it's that your body is the best arrow/cannonball you have. The fight needs exactly zero arrows or consumable items.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
this game is also like botw on crack when it comes to "buy every arrow from every vendor you ever see, period" since all the elemental arrows are gone and it's all "normal arrows with poo poo glued to them"

in fact I'm pretty sure I've seen that as both "NPC text recommending it" and as a straight up loading screen tip

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

this game is also like botw on crack when it comes to "buy every arrow from every vendor you ever see, period" since all the elemental arrows are gone and it's all "normal arrows with poo poo glued to them"

in fact I'm pretty sure I've seen that as both "NPC text recommending it" and as a straight up loading screen tip

Yeah, I keep running out of arrows.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Yes you are missing something and it's that your body is the best arrow/cannonball you have. The fight needs exactly zero arrows or consumable items.

I guess I missed it too since I just used bomb and fire arrows.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

What order did you guys go in. I did Rito first since it sort of tells you to then on to Zora. I guess it doesn't really matter probably?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You robbed yourself. The fight the cannonball way is incredibly fun. I used a few bombs too, knocked out two and then cannonballed through the last one both cycles. I hope they add a boss rush or something because so far every boss has been fun and I wanna do em again.

I did Rito bc in BotW it unlocked invaluable movement skill, then wandered end ended up doing Goron which also feels like a great second choice. I assume zora just lets me up waterfalls which is cool but niche

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Any ideas about how to use this?

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 7, 2023

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
I mean I’m cannonballing through the first one which is very fun but I can never get him to open up again for the others. Do you have to bait it out by hanging out way above him?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yarrington posted:

I mean I’m cannonballing through the first one which is very fun but I can never get him to open up again for the others. Do you have to bait it out by hanging out way above him?

check the other side of it

also I have like 450 arrows at this point

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Seems like most boxes or pots have 1 to 5 arrows so that's what I've been doing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Why wouldn't you be above him anyway, it's an aerial battle?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wiltsghost posted:

What order did you guys go in. I did Rito first since it sort of tells you to then on to Zora. I guess it doesn't really matter probably?

doesn't matter except in the sense of "what order you get the new poo poo in"

rito first is still best imo, not as good an ability as the last game but a way shorter CD makes it probably arguably even more necessary

goron and gerudo are tied for 2nd/3rd (gerudo is subjectively better imo)

zora's the least useful

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you miss vote bird power, just attach rocket to shield. One use but dump some cores into the first dispenser you get with rockets bc they're the best

Edit: I might add a trip to the great plateau as an early game choice since some shenanigans here lead you to a core power wheel ability

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

doesn't matter except in the sense of "what order you get the new poo poo in"

rito first is still best imo, not as good an ability as the last game but a way shorter CD makes it probably arguably even more necessary

goron and gerudo are tied for 2nd/3rd (gerudo is subjectively better imo)

zora's the least useful

Gerudo light towers. How do I activate the one with the turnwheel of top? It has no light shining from under it. Also where's the third one?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Barreft posted:

Gerudo light towers. How do I activate the one with the turnwheel of top? It has no light shining from under it. Also where's the third one?

iirc first tower is the rock floor you blow out, follow the light from that one to the second tower and turn the nearby wheel until it raises far enough above ground to catch the light, and from that you hit the third one that has the wheel on top of it to direct the light back to the first one

it sounds like you went to to the third one before the second one

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

iirc first tower is the rock floor you blow out, follow the light from that one to the second tower and turn the nearby wheel until it raises far enough above ground to catch the light, and from that you hit the third one that has the wheel on top of it to direct the light back to the first one

it sounds like you went to to the third one before the second one

Yep you're right. gonna follow the light. thanks

Wiltsghost posted:

1. Rito for movement
2. Gerudo for combat (I'm only now at the dungeon and I will be using this a lot I can tell)
3. Goron for a free bomb
4. Zora for uhh.. a shield, and a water attack. I almost never use this except to save me from one hit in emergencies

Barreft fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 7, 2023

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Exploring underground is really tedious, having to keep dropping the light flower things but every item you pick up means you have to scroll back to them on the inventory screen, I hope there is some upgrade that streamlines this as I don't even wanna bother with it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

African AIDS cum posted:

Exploring underground is really tedious, having to keep dropping the light flower things but every item you pick up means you have to scroll back to them on the inventory screen, I hope there is some upgrade that streamlines this as I don't even wanna bother with it now

Have you been lighting the area bulbs up? helps a bunch

e: there's also glow armor and glow food. I somehow ran into the glow chestguard running from a giant thing in pitchblack

Barreft fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 7, 2023