Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Well I find myself kind of relieved people also find the Master Sword Trials to be a bit BS? I was tempted to at least do one since it's extra damage on a permanent weapon but I think I'll drop since, specially since I'll do the Champion's Ballad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I’m playing the original NES zelda in preparation for new zelda now, and wow this game is really good, shocking! I have tried to play it a few times in the past and bounced off hard because of the difficulty but now I am blatantly cheating and using a guide, and I understand how the game works now. It’s comically difficult until you know all the secrets and then it’s easy. But once you learn those secrets (by cheating, in my case) you feel like a genius. Not sure I can think of other games that work like this, not modern or well regarded ones anyways. BOTW feels sort of like this game, but the esoteric knowledge part is really not there at all

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Doing them on Master Mode is a bit b.s. mostly need perfect execution or a little luck in some places. It's definitely doable but probably not worth it. I've done it before, but in my final pre-TotK playthrough I just glitched it.

Doing them on regular mode is much more reasonable. Still, if you aren't having fun, just skip it. There's enough fun in this game that ignoring content you don't like doesn't mean you have an incomplete experience. The permanent upgrades to both the damage and durability of the Master Sword are great though.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You don't really need perfect execution for the trials on master mode, and i think they're actually a pretty fun challenge on most floors if you've gotten really good at the combat

this is, of course, with the major exception that beginning trials floor 10 is absolute bullshit and literally the hardest thing in the game if you try to do it with no tricks. the tricks you want being immediately killing the horn guy before he gets the warning off, and then sneakstrike chaining the silver lizalfos. i really recommend learning sneakstrike chaining in general for master mode though, saves some headaches against the gold enemies' massively inflated HP pools.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

And Champion's Ballad's done! I'm glad you reccomended it, it absolutely was fun! Some trials were a bit of a pain (the ice one hit challenge, some shrines, Thunderblight and Waterblight) but all in all a blast with fun lore. And yeah, Mad Monk flipping around and being giant was awesome. I loved he didn't do that much damage and instead was tricky. And I get the better horse now!

Now I'll farm 30 wood so Link isn't homeless, stock up on ancestral arrows and go defeat Ganon since the MS Trials I only thought of them because of this DLC but turns out I didn't need it and on Ganon it will be maxed out anyways :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

And Champion's Ballad's done! I'm glad you reccomended it, it absolutely was fun! Some trials were a bit of a pain (the ice one hit challenge, some shrines, Thunderblight and Waterblight) but all in all a blast with fun lore. And yeah, Mad Monk flipping around and being giant was awesome. I loved he didn't do that much damage and instead was tricky. And I get the better horse now!

Now I'll farm 30 wood so Link isn't homeless, stock up on ancestral arrows and go defeat Ganon since the MS Trials I only thought of them because of this DLC but turns out I didn't need it and on Ganon it will be maxed out anyways :v:

My favorite place to get a bunch of wood is the area behind the sheep ranch in Hateno Village. Just go over and start bombing the poo poo out of everything.

I probably should give the sword trials one last go; it’s honestly the only part of the game I never completed other than all the Korok seeds.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Owned the game since launch finally charged hyrule castle and defeated Ganon lol

The music in hyrule castle 🔥🔥🔥

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...wait, I have to pay MORE to furnish the house? Damned Tom Nookalike...

I did manage to get 5000 rupees by selling stuff, but I planned to use part for Ancient Arrows (the armor is probably not worth it until upgraded and I can only upgrade it to 2*) so the dilemma is there...

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Looking up the correct balance for sleeping pills to put myself in a 5 day coma until it releases.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Official guidebook is up for pre order on Amazon. Says June 16th is the release date

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

SyRauk posted:

Looking up the correct balance for sleeping pills to put myself in a 5 day coma until it releases.

I’m taking my son out of school for the day, and he and I are going to sit on the couch, and controller swap all day Friday.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Dalaram posted:

I’m taking my son out of school for the day, and he and I are going to sit on the couch, and controller swap all day Friday.

gently caress school. Learning the real life skills like ultrahand

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Official guidebook is up for pre order on Amazon. Says June 16th is the release date

A guidebook?! Y'all ain't got online at you house??

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Khanstant posted:

They're all YouTube videos(bad) these days.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Khanstant posted:

Can't beat that "prima oot" guide book smell.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Do I prepare for Ganon by buying an ancient set of armor + bow & arrows to save the world, or do I waste it all on real state of no use and just use the P2W armor I've used for everything because defense levels suck until 2 star upgrades...

Khanstant posted:

Have you seen the average google search nowadays? You have to look on loving reddit or god forbid modern gamefaqs if you want actual help or advice.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/emmaegamboa/status/1654978767540965376?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Do I prepare for Ganon by buying an ancient set of armor + bow & arrows to save the world, or do I waste it all on real state of no use and just use the P2W armor I've used for everything because defense levels suck until 2 star upgrades...

Have you seen the average google search nowadays? You have to look on loving reddit or god forbid modern gamefaqs if you want actual help or advice.

GameFAQs owns, I used several GameFAQs when replaying MegaMan Battle Network recently. But hey I appreciate y'all supporting the print industry. Gonna be a weird gap for archeologists when there's a big chunk of time without books, not because they got old and decayed or burned by Alex but because everyone in their Gateway PC doing reading fake words made of electricity.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Honestly I just want a bigass artbook like we got for BoTW.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Khanstant posted:

The guidebook to BOTW (my addition) is this hardcover thick boy that has amazing artwork and a really solid step by step guide to everything plus all
The stats in the back. Far easier than watching a YouTube video with two loving mint mobile ada at the front and two minutes of awkward nerd guy Covid telling you to like and subscribe before you get the info you want in a rushed 20 second soundbite you have to rewatch twice to get what you need.

The new guidebook looks like it will be the same. I’m stoked and can’t wait to have it on shelf next to the the BOTW one.

Here’s a link.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1655243616284192770?s=20

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Looks like a cool book but lol I really don't have that much trouble navigating the internet to find the videogame guide info needed when needed.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Best uses of the ancient armor: face tanking guardian lasers and lynels (fattest ancient/guardian weapon for riding them).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The ending of ToTK has already been leaked!!1!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu_tLNcoMQ4

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I finally beat the game and my kit was the fully upgraded Barbarian armor for the attack boost and along with the master sword and champion abilities it wasn't really a difficult fight, which I appreciated. I also switched back to the champion's tunic for the final cutscene, even if meeting Zelda in a bone helm and loincloth is an equally stylish look.

So yeah, here's hoping I can do similar in TotK and spend a bunch of time noodling around and slowly upgrading my stuff to stomp the final boss, lol.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Actually I take it back I want a guidebook too to mark all these treasures I don't need now but could later

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

...so the builder lied, upgrading the house only costs 1400 rupees. Meaning the grind isn't even as bad as I thought.

For 2100 rupees I could buy an entire Ancient armor set and for 1000 more find a new Great Fairy to upgrade it to 3* (I'm pretty sure I got the mats due to all the guardians I killed). Worth it or overkill?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

...so the builder lied, upgrading the house only costs 1400 rupees. Meaning the grind isn't even as bad as I thought.

For 2100 rupees I could buy an entire Ancient armor set and for 1000 more find a new Great Fairy to upgrade it to 3* (I'm pretty sure I got the mats due to all the guardians I killed). Worth it or overkill?

I pretty much only upgraded the ancient armor to 2, maybe the hat to 3. Hyrule Castle was ez. Normal playthrough, non master mode. I think I got about 90 shrines. Map at the end said 25% completion. I had a great time.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

LionArcher posted:

there's video for that now my friend

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Two star Ancient Set is great, highly recommend. Makes the strength shrines much easier as well.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

taking any set to rank 3 or 4 trivializes any of the "main" content honestly.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Motto posted:

taking any set to rank 3 or 4 trivializes any of the "main" content honestly.

Then add the food options

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a.lo posted:

there's video for that now my friend

sometimes I like having a dorky book with art in it

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah I don't think anyone actually buys guide books to use as a guide these days. It's just a cool collectable to have.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

LionArcher posted:

The guidebook to BOTW (my addition) is this hardcover thick boy that has amazing artwork and a really solid step by step guide to everything plus all
The stats in the back. Far easier than watching a YouTube video with two loving mint mobile ada at the front and two minutes of awkward nerd guy Covid telling you to like and subscribe before you get the info you want in a rushed 20 second soundbite you have to rewatch twice to get what you need.

The new guidebook looks like it will be the same. I’m stoked and can’t wait to have it on shelf next to the the BOTW one.

Here’s a link.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1655243616284192770?s=20

Did the BOTW guide book come out after the release too? I don't remember.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maxed out ancient armor gives 84 defense which is an absurd amount. You can brush off almost every attack in the game with that. It's completely unnecessary but pretty funny face tanking everything except the highly telegraphed lynel smashes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

I’m playing the original NES zelda in preparation for new zelda now, and wow this game is really good, shocking! I have tried to play it a few times in the past and bounced off hard because of the difficulty but now I am blatantly cheating and using a guide, and I understand how the game works now. It’s comically difficult until you know all the secrets and then it’s easy. But once you learn those secrets (by cheating, in my case) you feel like a genius. Not sure I can think of other games that work like this, not modern or well regarded ones anyways. BOTW feels sort of like this game, but the esoteric knowledge part is really not there at all
No need to feel bad. The idea behind Zelda 1 was never to find all the secrets yourself. You were meant to share information with friends, and between all of you, find most things. Miyamoto has said as much over the years.

You don't get to have that experience, nor does anybody else in the age of the internet, so looking things up is just the way of doing that in the modern age.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

LividLiquid posted:

No need to feel bad. The idea behind Zelda 1 was never to find all the secrets yourself. You were meant to share information with friends, and between all of you, find most things. Miyamoto has said as much over the years.

And now everyone is scared of spoilers because they don't have the emotional maturity to remind themselves it's just a game.

You're not sharing information with your fellow game fans, you're "spoiling my personal experience!" :jerkbag:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mister Facetious posted:

And now everyone is scared of spoilers because they don't have the emotional maturity to remind themselves it's just a game.

You're not sharing information with your fellow game fans, you're "spoiling my personal experience!" :jerkbag:

ok

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean, I think if people don't want to know those things, they can enjoy the game the way that's the most fun for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Or maybe some of us want to experience the 3 cutscenes ourselves when the game legally comes out, and then later when we want game help, we’ll be happy to share said experiences?