Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's a Black Label, which I'm pretty sure means it's out of canon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

It's a Black Label, which I'm pretty sure means it's out of canon
We've had this discussion before, but no, Black Label doesn't tell you anything about whether it's canon or not.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

We've had this discussion before, but no, Black Label doesn't tell you anything about whether it's canon or not.

Waller is on Earth which means it's 100% not canon given what's been happening. Canon Peacemaker is also a more straight laced psychopath, not Cena's. Harley is also paling around with the Squad rather than living her life in Gotham. And so on.

It's not canon.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The only things I noticed about Peacemaker Tries Hard is that it seems to be trying very hard to be like a continuation of the TV show but within the limitations of the DCU.

It's almost as if it was one of those things where Kyle Starks was told that he has to write Peacemaker James Gunn style, but he's not allowed to use anything too specific from TV.

The lonely trailer is there, the lovely attitude is there, the Suicide Squad gets a cameo, but other things don't seem quite right. Like how Peacemaker's dad's face is tacitly out of frame in every shot, the absence of Eagly and TV Vigilante, and how his car suddenly has the Peacemaker logo plastered all over it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
DC’s continuity and characterization is a mess anyways, I don’t know if arguing if one miniseries is canon is really fruitful

It’ll all be wiped clean the next time editorial decides it needs a Crisis.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

thetoughestbean posted:

DC’s continuity and characterization is a mess anyways, I don’t know if arguing if one miniseries is canon is really fruitful

It’ll all be wiped clean the next time editorial decides it needs a Crisis.

Dr Manhattan meme buts it’s with him saying multiple times “it is ####, there is a Crisis in the DC Universe”

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Splint Chesthair posted:

(I always wondered why they never used “Captain Marvelous” but google says Power Rangers snatched up that name a decade ago.)

site posted:

if captain marvelous doesn't look like prince or david bowie I don't want it

Captain Marvelous is the goddamn coolest.

Just the smuggest and smooth space pirate you've ever seen. :swoon:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

You know, a good idea for a comic in Gotham would be a "Henchman" comic. Some kid without any chances trying to climb the crime ladder quickly and safely enough to escape poverty without getting killed by his employers or have every bone in his body broken by batman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
that was the premise of the azzarello joker mini a few years back

e: i guess by a few years i mean 2008 because I'm old and time has no meaning

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

site posted:

that was the premise of the azzarello joker mini a few years back

e: i guess by a few years i mean 2008 because I'm old and time has no meaning

Wasn't that more about how much of a monster the Joker is than the henchman?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

You know, a good idea for a comic in Gotham would be a "Henchman" comic. Some kid without any chances trying to climb the crime ladder quickly and safely enough to escape poverty without getting killed by his employers or have every bone in his body broken by batman.

Every annual should end like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMd4S-LkywI

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Monkey Prince's parents are career criminal science/henchmen types. I only read the first few issues, and I haven't heard or read a peep about the book at all, so whether or not that narrative thread is of any import is anybody's guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I read the whole thing, and I'm not sure I liked it. Anyway, it's pretty important, since it forces them to move a few times, and it turns out his adoptive mother's father is Ultra-Humanite.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Siegkrow posted:

Wasn't that more about how much of a monster the Joker is than the henchman?

Yea the thing is told from the point of view of a henchman working for the Joker. It's...not good honestly.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Wildcats so far has been fun and it's like watching someone fail upwards.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man. I can't believe that I have no choice but to stan yet another Hal Jordan book. Truly shameful for me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I didn't know superman and wonder woman were a brief fling post COIE. Can't believe dc made that mistake 2 times.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I didn't know superman and wonder woman were a brief fling post COIE. Can't believe dc made that mistake 2 times.

Every now and then somebody boldly steps forward to declare "it's an obvious pairing" and then finds out why it's not.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

Every now and then somebody boldly steps forward to declare "it's an obvious pairing" and then finds out why it's not.

Why isn’t it? It’s not really my thing but I’ve never really understood the aversion to it

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thetoughestbean posted:

Why isn’t it? It’s not really my thing but I’ve never really understood the aversion to it
I think the main issue is that there's too much similarity between them. Each of them is kind of an emanation from an abstraction; Superman comes from a far-off world and has a sort of transhuman perfection in that he had this inherent blessing and chose to do good with it, and the worst you can say about him without being a bald capitalist land baron is that he isn't min-maxing his time as hard as he might. Wonder Woman is from a magical island of wise, perfected Amazons and is trying to share that wisdom with Man's World as a whole.

So where do you go from there? They wouldn't necessarily need a completely ordinary opposite number, but there's no real dynamic there. At most you can be like Larry Niven, "hur hur super-sex"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

thetoughestbean posted:

Diana is bred to be a warrior first and diplomat second, while Kal will always have Clark at the fore.

Plus the whole 'yes the Ubermensch should pair up why do you thibj thats weird?' Thing.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Should've gotten wild with it and had Diana kill lex luthor after he does some take over the world poo poo and he spends the arc mad about it and justifying keeping him alive

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

Should've gotten wild with it and had Diana kill lex luthor after he does some take over the world poo poo and he spends the arc mad about it and justifying keeping him alive

Lex actually dies post coie from kryptonite poisoning, but has a clone body named lex Luther 2. I do not think that was ever retconned until new 52

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Sometimes it feels lonely standing here on the "Actually I do like Diana/Clark as a couple, it was pretty sweet in N52" corner.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think that's something they could keep canon as something they tried not too soon after meeting, but found that it just didn't mutually work. Clark found Lois's ambition and determination more charming and Diana like Steve's... whatever he had

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

FilthyImp posted:

Diana is bred to be a warrior first and diplomat second, while Kal will always have Clark at the fore.

Plus the whole 'yes the Ubermensch should pair up why do you thibj thats weird?' Thing.

This is why the Injustice coupling worked for me, because the parts that only worked in an authoritarian environment were allowed to bloom. (In a doomed alt timeline of course)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Batman/WW in JLU was fun, especially Batman trying to play the "everyone I get close to is in danger" and Diana just punches a rock in half in reply

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

I think that's something they could keep canon as something they tried not too soon after meeting, but found that it just didn't mutually work. Clark found Lois's ambition and determination more charming and Diana like Steve's... whatever he had

That's basically how Perez played it post-COIE. Diana pretty much develops a crush on Supes, then they actually meet and she's like "yeah, this ain't it". Not in a mean way, just that it was purely surface level.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I guess I should add that JL Action had Clark and Diana go on a date and that was pretty cute.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Xelkelvos posted:

Diana deserves better love interests than Steve Trevor

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

thetoughestbean posted:

Diana deserves better love interests than Steve Trevor
~Bruce Wayne has entered the chat~
As an aside, how many off-brand WW clones are lesbians? The one in Invincible, Maeve, anyone else?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
this reminds me: wasn't Rucka supposed to do a Diana's Daughter book for Black Label? whatever happened to that?

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1657007993853026304

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Didnt they just introduce a new young wonder person a couple of years ago?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Did they just introduce a new young wonder person a couple of years ago?

Don't worry. The article says this person doesn't even exist yet in the current DC universe. This story is set 20 years in the future. It's also by Tom King so it's probably not going to be good!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Didnt they just introduce a new young wonder person a couple of years ago?

are you thinking of the future brazilian wonder woman

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

X-O posted:

Don't worry. The article says this person doesn't even exist yet in the current DC universe. This story is set 20 years in the future. It's also by Tom King so it's probably not going to be good!

Oh good more trauma.

Alaois posted:

are you thinking of the future brazilian wonder woman

Possibly. I've never really read the WW books.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Siegkrow posted:

Check out House of Gotham. It was a back up in Detective Comics, but got its own collected release.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Lol Yara Flor found fighting for her life

Lyta Trevor found...dead. Just dead and gone. :911:

Trinity is...kind of a balls name, though.

FilthyImp posted:

Diana is bred to be a warrior first and diplomat second
Boo this man. booooo!

The thing about Superman and Wonder Woman is that, for all that they're obviously different characters, when you get down to it they're honestly still very similar. You can kind of portray WW as a more proactive warrior, but we also just saw a whole years' worth of story about Superman leading a black ops invasion into Warworld to kick Mongul's rear end on his own initiative. At the end of the day, they're both nice noble heroes who have both been written with varying degrees of niceness or aggressiveness.

But when you put two characters who are so similar next to each other in a story, the instinct then is to start exaggerating the ways that they are different, to highlight their distinctions more and more, and also to have these differentiating traits drive conflict between them 'cuz apparently you need conflict in a story or whatever. This is how the Flash -- any of time -- are generally pretty standard heroic figures in their own book, but then turn into 24/7 jokesters on the Justice League.

And as far as Supes and WW go, this means making Clark more and more wide-eyed and naive about the world to contrast against her more pragmatic approach, and making Diana more and more bloodthirsty to contrast against his restraint. This is how we get Kingdom Come. This is why we get Injustice. This is how their romance in the New 52 started off pretty conventionally, but then spiraled really quickly into WW becoming a ruthless cynic that Clark has to constantly hold back from merking everyone.

Because here's the other thing: pairing up two solo characters from different franchises together, especially romantically, can be a very tricky thing, because it's hard for one to not simply be subsumed by the other, to become a prop for the other's stories when they should be headlining their own. This happened to Storm when she got folded into Black Panther stories; all of a sudden she was just Mrs. Black Panther, and the contrast between how she was portrayed back then and how she's portrayed now is staggering. And the fact with Superman and WW is that he's so much more of a known property than her -- with so much more of an established lore and supporting cast and status quo that didn't get reset every five years -- that every story that pairs them together is going to be a Superman story first and WW story second, or third, if at all. Hence, Kingdom Come. Hence, Injustice and the New 52 and so on so forth where Diana comes off so much less sympathetically than Clark because she's being used to enrich his character, not the other way around.

I suspect that's why you tend to hear a lot of backlash to the pairing, at least on the part of WW fans. Superman fans I'm less clear about, but I seem to recall breaking up him and Lois went over about as well as you might expect.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Have Superman hook up with Lori Lemaris. I want the real Son of Krypton to challenge Aquaman for mastery of the seas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

All the Wonder Woman and Wonder Girl named characters are giving the Green Lantern Corp a run for their money