Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blood Boils posted:

When ~in the OT films~ do we learn that Vader is a cyborg

Is it inference from his breathing, or Obiwan's line about more machine than man?

"More machine than man"
His breathing and the fancy blinking chest piece
Seeing him slightly unmasked in ESB, with all the horrific scarring tying into Obi-Wan's earlier statement
Seeing him take a lightsaber hit without much issue in his duel with Luke (when previously they'd cut off limbs and killed Obi-Wan)
Having his hand cut off and exposing wiring (which was previously seen with Luke's robot hand getting damaged in the same film)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Isn't most of that in RotJ?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can wonder what the deal is with his armor and his breathing in A New Hope, but only when you catch a glimpse of his hosed up head do you realize "ah, that's something he needs to wear."

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Bongo Bill posted:

General Grievous commands the droid army. Killing him will end the war, as without him, the scattered CIS will be unable to maintain the organization of their last desperate offensive. He's a Jedi killer to remind the audience that Jedi are mortal and can be beaten by conventional means; even the highly formidable Obi-Wan has to abandon the Jedi arts and kill him with a gun instead. Both of these details set up Order 66: as soon as Grievous is confirmed dead, Palpatine has no need of the Jedi any longer, so he wastes no time in exterminating them, which has been shown to be possible.

Like the foreground villains of the last two movies, he's an echo of the famous characteristics of Darth Vader: after Maul the imposing enforcer and Dooku the genteel former Jedi with superior swordsmanship, there is Grievous the Jedi hunter cyborg with respiratory issues. Palpatine is drawn to certain traits in his followers, showing another facet to the tragedy of Darth Vader's existence, merely the latest in a long line of expendable henchmen.

He's got that old-timey villain demeanor, the cackling plots, the abuse of subordinates, the bad posture, the name that's a synonym for "bad," to evoke that old-timey serial feel. This is in part because George Lucas fuckin loves that poo poo and who can blame him, and in part to suggest to the audience that this war's been going on arbitrarily long, with plenty of back-and-forth but no decisive changes, just episode after episode. Dave Filoni later went back and filled in those episodes.

I do like this but it definitely feels like a justification after the fact of "what's a cool toy to put in the next3 one and what wacky lightsaber gimmick can we give him"

Also now that I'm deep in Clone Wars (around middle S5 now) it's more interesting what hasn't been filled in; not only is Grievous rarely in it, but nothing has ever really been expounded upon with him beyond the cackling Generic Bad from Ep3. The weird power dynamic between him and Dooku in the show where Dooku is his boss he hates isn't really present in the movie either, though I guess how could it be when Dooku dies immediately lol

Also, does Grievous know that Palpatine is secretly behind everything? I feel like they imply that Dooku is in on the general plan, but I can't remember if Grievous ever meets Sidious in the show or whatever?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

I do like this but it definitely feels like a justification after the fact of "what's a cool toy to put in the next3 one and what wacky lightsaber gimmick can we give him"

Also, does Grievous know that Palpatine is secretly behind everything? I feel like they imply that Dooku is in on the general plan, but I can't remember if Grievous ever meets Sidious in the show or whatever?

Cool designs usually make for fun toys.

Grievous makes a phone call to Sidious in ROTS. It’s a fun movie, should you decide to watch it.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 6, 2023

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

PT6A posted:

And the confusing aspect really has nothing to do with the filming, it's that if you don't remember some details from the opening crawl, the actual plot seems very weird and hard to understand. Obviously this is not a problem when you understand the background after watching the films once or twice, but it's pretty disorienting the first time.

Without citing anything outside the movies, explain what the gently caress General Greivous appears to be a chain-smoking robot with lightsabers, and where he came from and what he's doing. You can't. It's just "here's some kind of a droid, he's bad, m'kay?" That's a writing problem.

hes dope as hell

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Cool designs usually make for fun toys.

Grievous makes a phone call to Sidious in ROTS, should you decide to watch it.

Lol whoops! To be fair I told myself I'd pull a "watch the entire Clone Wars" before hitting Ep3 this time and its taking way longer than I expected so my memory of the details is dim...

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Obviously the cis are the enemy in real life. But what does CIS stand for in Star Wars?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vim Fuego posted:

Obviously the cis are the enemy in real life. But what does CIS stand for in Star Wars?

Confederacy of Independent Systems

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I just saw that there's a popular fantheory that Padme died because Sidious siphoned her life force and I cannot emphasize how much contempt I have for this kind of thinking

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

cuntman.net posted:

you guys are this close to saying he should have had an intro movie marvel style be careful guys

Grievous did have an intro movie. It's season 2 of the 2003 Clone Wars show by Gennady Tartakovsky. It's really good. S2 introduces him stalking and murdering a group of Jedi, and then going on to the actual kidnapping of the Chancellor. It leads directly into the start of RotS. The two should be watched back-to-back and considered a single story.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Grievous did have an intro movie. It's season 2 of the 2003 Clone Wars show by Gennady Tartakovsky. It's really good. S2 introduces him stalking and murdering a group of Jedi, and then going on to the actual kidnapping of the Chancellor. It leads directly into the start of RotS. The two should be watched back-to-back and considered a single story.

That's a different character, though. Clone Wars 2003 has basically what the Jedi *think* they are and what's going on where Mace can crush entire droid armies at once and Grevious is a super scary intimidating dude instead of Snidely Whiplash.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

They try to amend that by having Mace Windu force-crush Grievous’ chest right before he takes off to do his thing in episode 3. It’s a fun attempt at continuity but ultimately I don’t think works.

The prerelease hype around Grievous really sold a character much more like what was in those early clone wars episodes. I was a hopeless child nerd subscribed to Star Wars Insider and devoured everything I could before the movie, and they were always pretty open about the behind the scenes process on those movies (for the right price…Hyperdrive subscribers, what was it like?).

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Vim Fuego posted:

Obviously the cis are the enemy in real life.

What the gently caress.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Grievous' backstory is kinda the perfect encapsulation of the Expanded Universe in that it doesn't line up with the actual character in the movies very well because it was an entirely different creative team. You can tell that Genndy just got Grievous' character design, a description of him being a Jedi killer who collects lightsabers, and went off from that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

McCloud posted:

I just saw that there's a popular fantheory that Padme died because Sidious siphoned her life force and I cannot emphasize how much contempt I have for this kind of thinking

I feel like george kinda opened the door to that kind of thinking when he had palpatine make the force birth anakin.

I feel like he actually escaped a lot of heat for it because they only fully committed to that right before the sale threw it out again. Both are just wretched stuff in my opinion, but I don't really blame the fans that much since it's sort of just picking up what canon was putting down

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

No Mods No Masters posted:

I feel like george kinda opened the door to that kind of thinking when he had palpatine make the force birth anakin.

no he didn't

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its georges fault for coming up with star wars

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

ungulateman posted:

no he didn't

My understanding is he wanted to put it in episode 3 outright but wussed out and left it as a possible implication in the opera scene. Then a hack was later given permission to confirm it in a novel. I guess he didn't say it to camera but it was unquestionably a george idea.

e: Really it dovetails doubly in the modern day because it's also a power palpatine is explicitly shown to have in our beloved film star wars 9. I don't deny this is all detestable, but I'd blame the films before I blame the people sad enough to be fans of them

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 7, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

cuntman.net posted:

its georges fault for coming up with star wars

harsh but fair

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I haven't rewatched it since it came out but I thought in the movie itself there's no implication that Palpatine's son and granddaughter were made through anything but the old fashioned way, which is why Sheev Fucks became a meme.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mycot posted:

I haven't rewatched it since it came out but I thought in the movie itself there's no implication that Palpatine's son and granddaughter were made through anything but the old fashioned way, which is why Sheev Fucks became a meme.

Sorry, I see how my post was ambiguous. I meant that in star wars 9 he has the life force draining powers originally at issue in this topic, he uses them on reylo to heal his burned fingers or whatever the gently caress

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Killing Dooku at the beginning serves several purposes. Anakin does an understandable but bad thing at Sheev’s encouragement for act 1. Sheev removes a dubiously loyal pawn who knows the actual nature of the war and can focus on Anakin. Sheev going “oh well we can’t end the war while General Dastardly is around” feels as weird to the audience as the Jedi. Grievous isn’t as big of a personal threat as Dooku so it gives a story sensible reason for Obi-wan and Anakin to be split up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In Revenge of the Sith, Palpatine, a kind of father figure to Anakain, the product of immaculate conception, seemingly randomly brings up how he knows about a cool Sith way of creating life, while the two of them sit and watch a weird opera full of sperm and egg imagery. The movie is saying that he had some sort of hand in Anakin's conception. I never liked how extraneous material said "no." Star Wars 9 retroactively supports the Palpatine is Anakin's father theory.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wolfsheim posted:

Also now that I'm deep in Clone Wars (around middle S5 now) it's more interesting what hasn't been filled in; not only is Grievous rarely in it, but nothing has ever really been expounded upon with him beyond the cackling Generic Bad from Ep3. The weird power dynamic between him and Dooku in the show where Dooku is his boss he hates isn't really present in the movie either, though I guess how could it be when Dooku dies immediately lol
I feel like they drop Grievous because having him unable to meet Anakin was proving awkward and because they were having more fun with Maul etc. I'm not even sure if he's in the last two seasons (unless you count Crystal Crisis, which you should because it's great).

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

No Mods No Masters posted:

My understanding is he wanted to put it in episode 3 outright but wussed out and left it as a possible implication in the opera scene. Then a hack was later given permission to confirm it in a novel. I guess he didn't say it to camera but it was unquestionably a george idea.

one of the disney-era comics has a panel that could be misread as support for the theory, which the publisher and team who worked on it then came out and said 'it's an allegory you nitwits'.

in much the same way that 'jedi master sifo-dyas' was originally palpatine wearing a hood during early scripts, the idea that anakin used to be a science experiment done by palpatine and his old master is an idea that makes the themes of the story very literal, but this was decided against because it makes the story worse (in the former case because it makes the jedi complete morons rather than just idiots, in the latter because it's too much of a contrivance even by star wars standards).

the expanded universe is really just an extended exercise in taking the themes of the movies and making them overly literal. even the good stuff (mostly the couple of novels matt stover wrote) are like this.

palpatine is anakin's dad, both in spite of and because of his immaculate conception. anakin is worried as hell about being a dad because he never had a dad - and his male role models are all kind of crap, with palpatine being the least bad - and he's worried about his wife dying because the last time there was a mother figure in his life, she died because he wasn't good enough. the opera scene is a conversation about anakin's anxieties about what's going on, and palpatine is offering the galaxy's worst fatherly advice.

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 7, 2023

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Was a good meme though

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mllaneza posted:

And he kills Jedi Shaggy!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Detective No. 27 posted:

In Revenge of the Sith, Palpatine, a kind of father figure to Anakain, the product of immaculate conception, seemingly randomly brings up how he knows about a cool Sith way of creating life, while the two of them sit and watch a weird opera full of sperm and egg imagery. The movie is saying that he had some sort of hand in Anakin's conception. I never liked how extraneous material said "no." Star Wars 9 retroactively supports the Palpatine is Anakin's father theory.

What complicates this is that there is a very sensible narrative reason for all the focus on creating life and conception imagery to be there even if there's no familial connection between those two characters: Anakin feels guilty at impregnating Padme (who he shouldn't be married to) and is catastrophizing her upcoming childbirth.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Palpatine didn’t create Anakin, because that makes no sense. He only brings up the ‘virgin birth’ thing to support to his claim that resurrecting the dead through alchemy is plausible.

Any ‘fatherliness’ on Palpatine’s part is a byproduct of the actual subtext, where he replaces Padme and assumes the role of Anakin’s older wife.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's cannon Palpatine has no artistic tastes and like watching stupid poo poo with dumb dumbs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given the Sith are basically just fascists, makes sense.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
In ROTS Palpatine tells Anakin that Darth Plagueis had the power to 1) influence midichlorians to create life, 2) keep people from dying and that he taught his apprentice everything he knew. Later he admitts that he doesn't actually have the power to keep people from dying. That strongly implies that he also doesn't know how to create life (which is not something Anakin cares about at the moment though). It leaves open the possibility that Plagueis created Anakin (though the competing theory implied by Qui-Gon is that he was created by the force itself) but we really have no reason to think that Sidious created Anakin.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And he kills Jedi Shaggy!

Yoiks!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also I've said before but all the secret apprentice poo poo with the Sith does serve a purpose to flat out show that the standard method of Sith apprenticeship is literally just the cycle of abuse.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tell me you don't know what the immaculate conception is without saying you don't know what the immaculate conception is.

(Mary was born without Original Sin. That's the immaculate conception. Jesus is the virgin birth.)

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Also the Catholic Church adopted the immaculate conception as dogma in the 1850s, which is why just about anyone who wasn’t raised Catholic has no clue what the gently caress it’s supposed to be

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The scene of Shmi telling Qui Gon about where Anakin came from can be read…from a few angles.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zoran posted:

Also the Catholic Church adopted the immaculate conception as dogma in the 1850s, which is why just about anyone who wasn’t raised Catholic has no clue what the gently caress it’s supposed to be

Huh! I always assumed that whole bit was pre-reformation. It seems way too complicated to be a (relatively) recent addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Seems pretty cut and dry to me

Palpatine doing wizard hands at her womb always makes me laugh