Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
lmao, yeah, who could he possibly be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 26: Ascension

If I had to pick one it's Trion. I'm sick of both of them. I'm sick of politics. I'm sick of the church. I'm sick of orcs. I'm going to go to this succession thing and be miserable. I could have been on the other side of the world by now but I screwed that up.

I don't even need the gil anymore. Turns out you can just buy items off adventurers in stacks and resell them in singles for a huge mark up. I'm the cermet queen of Southern San d'Oria. What more could I want?

So why haven't I stopped all of this? I don't think I can anymore... Rahal could have vouched for the Dragoon ghost. Rochefogne is just as much at fault for this as I am, we both saw his sister but he picked the worst way to deal with it. Claidie has bad vibes about all of this. Even with all of that falling into place in a non-poo poo way, I think they would still be too stubborn to care. They hired assassins to kill their uncle who had legitimate grievances! We learned a heartfelt lesson in the White Mage quest about this!

I want to believe I'm a good person. I want to think that I try. In reality I'm just not a bad enough person to let the world die with me.

Prelude

Who could have seen this coming?

How did that get there?

Despair

NO WE DON'T! GODDESS (I'm in a cathedral) DANG IT!

I just lost my friend who is a girl to this Gates of Paradise crap. I'm not letting that be in vain.

You couldn't have said that sooner...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that day at the chateau...

If I could kill him again I would. Also I hate the pope. Also I don't want to say it out loud but this is probably why Curilla's dad was killed.

This is all I ever wanted from this stupid kingdom. Someone to decisively take charge and put the people first.

It's not like the orcs can use it but I'd rather it not be unaccounted for.

Next time: Boy I should have stopped that

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 9, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Oh yeah this is a Final Fantasy game :v:

"You must think the royal family pitiful"

Brother, you have no idea!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
How the hell does this not end with everyone in Sandoria deciding that royals are idiots and declaring the place a republic?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Bregor posted:

"You must think the royal family pitiful"

Brother, you have no idea!

PurpleXVI posted:

How the hell does this not end with everyone in Sandoria deciding that royals are idiots and declaring the place a republic?

There are two updates left of Zilart. Plenty of time for a revolution. Then we start a lot of people's favorite expansion!

Fat and Useless fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 1, 2023

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

Then we start a lot of people's favorite expansion!

Shadowbringers?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That was an excellent show by everyone, with Visaria's mutism being a guest star.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So yeah Lightbringer is a nuke in sword form. Rochefogne using it single-handedly ended the invasion of Tavnazia. In the same manner that you can remove spiders from your house with C4.

Also, spider-orc.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MarquiseMindfang posted:

So yeah Lightbringer is a nuke in sword form. Rochefogne using it single-handedly ended the invasion of Tavnazia. In the same manner that you can remove spiders from your house with C4.

I mean it worked in Arachnophobia (the movie).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Also, spider-orc.

So wait, if Rochefogne was at ground zero, does Lightbringer also kindly shield the user or was he just launched into the atmosphere and managed a soft landing somewhere?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I strongly suspect a wizard did it, yes.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

So wait, if Rochefogne was at ground zero, does Lightbringer also kindly shield the user or was he just launched into the atmosphere and managed a soft landing somewhere?

He explains when he wakes up eventually.

But several facts about the sword:

Ranperre actually used the drat thing as a sword. His shitwrecker level was high enough to control it.

Curilla's father knew about the sword before the war. There is a side quest involving it that I may or may not eventually do. We are never told exactly why he was killed but it was probably because he knew how the sword worked and Eald'narche or the pope probably decided he needed to go.

Rochefogne's dad (Altedour) from the White Mage quests did not die anywhere near Tavnazia, the 700 orcs he took out weren't done by the Lightbringer. I had to switch to Dark Knight for a reason.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Also, spider-orc.

How the hell did he get up there? The middle of the city! Full of knights! Middle of the day!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

How the hell did he get up there? The middle of the city! Full of knights! Middle of the day!

Silent Oil/Prism Powder :v:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fat and Useless posted:

Nobody actually goes to church, he's been there for weeks.

And if they do they go straight to the basement where the good stuff is.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 27: The Dragon King's Legacy

Vana'diel March

All this drama over a pretty normal Firesday...

As these nerds do their thing I'm going to explain how this is gonna go down.

I go in the arena and I beat up some orcs while making sure the prince doesn't die.

The important part is not letting him die, everything else isn't too bad.

Time to fight orcs

I put the hat on one last time.

Unfortunately for you I am a one woman army. Also y'know, trusts.

Death comes for all eventually, today I come for you.

(I had it under control)

Sigh. I think mine was cooler. Whatever. Round 2.

He's slightly bigger than your average orc. Trion is over there helping by not dying.

Anyhow he's no match for the San d'Oria gang and is finished off quickly.

Fury

It will take far more than this to break the cycle. Still there are people in this world who believe that is attainable. I hope we get there one day.

We pick up the sword and head out of the arena together.

That last line is exactly why I will never live to see the day Verena's wish fulfilled. I will never stop them from dreaming though.

(It was me pulling the boss before you could that saved you...)

Back home we go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think we've heard this one yet

Recolection

An understatement. Yes.

And no one could have left a sticky note...

Represion

Altedour died nearish Jueno, meaning the 700 orcs he took down with him weren't done by Lightbringer. What a badass.

I grit my teeth. All you had to do was swallow your pride and tell the San d'Oria royals this.

It is because Ranperre was the king of shitwreckers. I could beat up everyone in this room at once. I bet the dragon king could kick my rear end with one hand sitting down. Man I think I'm starting to get why these royals pine for the old days of San d'Oria. I need to get out of here before I'm infected.

Ha ha... I'm respected... That feels dangerous.

And so I shall. It's way past time to close the book on all of this.

Next time: I become queen

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

lmao.

So Rochefogne knew everyone was carrying a nuke and could have told them all not to press the button, meanwhile the orcs just wanted people to not set off a nuke in their face, and constructed an elaborate scheme to steal it and hide it away/destroy it rather than just sending a letter going: "Lightbringer's gonna 'splode if y'all draw it!" to someone not-insane like Visaria.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

lmao.

So Rochefogne knew everyone was carrying a nuke and could have told them all not to press the button, meanwhile the orcs just wanted people to not set off a nuke in their face, and constructed an elaborate scheme to steal it and hide it away/destroy it rather than just sending a letter going: "Lightbringer's gonna 'splode if y'all draw it!" to someone not-insane like Visaria.

The princess is the only one, including Visaria, not at fault for any of this*. This also includes ghosts.

*she did play along with Rochefogne though instead of just stopping the rite normal style but that is also on Rochfogne mostly

I do find it cute though that Eald'narche just kinda tricked the pope into almost blowing up the city. The best part is even if the sword did what the pope wanted everyone would still be quite dead because nobody would believe Visaria if she said "The archduke and his big brother were trying to do a thing how about we don't do the thing that I just killed them over". Man it's not like anyone would ever try that SAME THING ever again! FOR A THIRD TIME.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 28: Queen Visaria

Prelude

The tomb is nonthreatening as ever.

You couldn't... have done this... from the start...

I'm way in the back because I would try to strangle the dragon king's ghost if I wasn't.

You couldn't... have done this... from the start...

I get it. You thought your heirs were going to be competent. Who could have seen a hell war happening? You are kinda responsible for a whole bunch of deaths my guy. You wanna know how life was made? The Goddess felt saucy one day and made some ancients who blew themselves up trying to touch the stove and now I wake up everyday and deal with the aftermath.

We all head home. The end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prelude

Nah, still gotta go over succession stuff.

Here we go...

Oh?

I regret to inform you I do not become queen. I would have never shut up about it to Iroha. Maybe my future self is more humble, I dunno. It will be a pleasant surprise I guess if it happens.

It's a start.

I'm fine with this outcome I guess. No one is dead. Aside from all of Tavnazia and Curilla's father. Oh and some assassins. I guess a whole bunch of orcs too. What's important is you all learned an important lesson!

Maybe they actually will take these events to heart? I won't be here to see it either way. Aside from a few side quests, picking up my mail, and making sure the moogle hasn't left the stove on, I'm done here. I'm not about to fill out paperwork to move to Bastok or Windurst. Maybe Jueno has room for me what with the Archduke being dead. I don't think I ever checked on the aftermath of any of that aside from chatting quickly with Aldo. I probably should.

Thanks Halver.

Thanks Curilla.

Thanks Rahal.

I won't be pessimistic, I actually believe Pieuje will try.

Yes.

Almost blowing themselves up may have actually beaten the lesson into them.

Speaking of... The papsque...

I'll let him deal with this. I'll be listening though.

I will never feel bad for the pope

I'm done here, time to head out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goodbye

Thinking back, it did begin like this didn't it? It has been so long...

I can't really burn him anymore than he's already been burned. Living with destroying Tavnazia even if San d'Oria half did the job... Me complaining about him not being forthright from the start doesn't matter. Everything is safe in the end.

Prelude

Until the end...

The end of time...

Next time: No one learns anything ever

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
When did the final Nation Missions (rank 10 etc) come out in relation to the older expansions (Zilart/CoP)?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

4355 crabs are dead so far. I don't expect that number to increase much this next expansion as there are no new Jobs to level in Chains.

So final thoughts on Zilart. This is really just the second half of the base game. It's that simple really, everything set up in the base game is wrapped up here and the story could just stop and be fine. Quality-wise the story isn't anything amazing but for a MMO during this time period, hot drat. Chains will build off Zilart a bit but after that the expansions are pretty much contained to themselves. Chains is also when the story starts to pick up into something I'd label as a proper Final Fantasy story.

As for if I ever become queen... The game gives you a title when you finish a mission or quest, in this case it is San d'Orian Royal Heir. The adventurer probably never has a chance to claim the throne in Iroha's version of the world so Visaria could still possibly be queen one day assuming 1. She lives 2. The Kingdom doesn't explode 3. She actually goes back 4. She doesn't get disowned.

In my Zilart screenshots you probably noticed a lot more animation being shown off. The deeper we go the more you'll see them push the limits of the PS2 dev kit and the more I'm going to be trying to show off the animation work. As far as length goes I wanted chains to be done in 40 updates, looking through the screenshots as I write this one of the updates has 82 screenshots that I need to split. We are probably looking at 50 updates at least. Compare that to base game(12 updates) where I don't know if I ever broke 30 images in an update and Zilart(16 updates) where I pushed to the 50's in a couple which is where I'm drawing a line. Hopefully that tells you all you need to know about how the game is going to be from now on. Welcome to the start of the LP. I just realized this is going to take me years. poo poo.

So far I've run around as Dark Knight, Red Mage, and a little bit of Summoner though we haven't seen those quests yet. For the next bit we will be Dragooning as requested. One day we will get to Blue and Corsair.

Bastok and Windurst both have stories the size of the San d'Oria story shown here. I don't plan on showing them (Unless someone really really REALLY wants me to) but I will give a brief description of them. If I ever trick someone reading into playing this maybe try one for yourself unless you really like bagpipes.

Bastok: This deals with the president and his daughter, the Mythril Musketeers, the new Talekeeper, Zeid, racism, legacies(various), and the Shadow Lord.

Windurst: This deals with the fallout of Karaha-Baruha summoning Fenrir 20 years ago, a tense treaty with the Yagudo, an odd Cardian, the Star Sibyl, and the ruins around Sarutabaruta.

Capital Letdown posted:

When did the final Nation Missions (rank 10 etc) come out in relation to the older expansions (Zilart/CoP)?

1-5 are Base

6-10 are all from Zilart

6-10 tend to show off Zilart zones a lot like Altepa where we find the Dreamrose

Same with the new Jobs of each expansion, they show off the new zones.

You do not need to beat up Eald'Narche in order to do San d'Oria's missions so you could technically not start Zilart in Norg with the brothers flashback and have the pope throw that mystery at you.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Norg is an eternally funny name.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Fat and Useless posted:

So final thoughts on Zilart. This is really just the second half of the base game. It's that simple really, everything set up in the base game is wrapped up here and the story could just stop and be fine. Quality-wise the story isn't anything amazing but for a MMO during this time period, hot drat. Chains will build off Zilart a bit but after that the expansions are pretty much contained to themselves. Chains is also when the story starts to pick up into something I'd label as a proper Final Fantasy story.

100% agree here. Vanilla/RoZ is the classic XI experience. I never played early WoW, but the way people talked about it at the time, it's very much the Burning Crusade of this collection. As for the story, there is a LOT of text to get through, and you're often doing the next mission or quest days (or sometimes weeks) after the previous one and it's a lot to keep straight. Which is why SSLPs like this are so great! It really helps sum up the story so far. There is an in-game device for seeing old cutscenes, but it's not exhaustive, and sometimes you need to go to a bunch of zones if you want to see them in order. That said, RoZ's story is very good IMO, and CoP is even better. Can't wait!

Fat and Useless posted:

Bastok: This deals with the president and his daughter, the Mythril Musketeers, the new Talekeeper, Zeid, racism, legacies(various), and the Shadow Lord.

Yeah pretty much, with an emphasis on the racism. I mean, it's a multi-racial fantasy universe, of course the humans (oh sorry, Humes) will be objectively awful.

PurpleXVI posted:

Probably some guy's name. Some guy named Norg.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

As it happens you need to tell people about the doomsday machine for the doomsday machine to be effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfXgu37iyI

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

PurpleXVI posted:

BUJURURURURU

DO-NOT-DISPARAGE-GARDEN-MASTER-NORG

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Chapter 29: Meltdown

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Adventure So Far:

Visaria is a former thief who decided to become an adventurer a cermet baroness to try and have a decent life. She lives in a perpetual state of looming demise and world ending threats that are unaddressed due to bureaucracy, diplomatic handcuffs, and dangerous relics laying around without notes attached. It is her job to fix one thing at a time while breaking two things in the process. She no longer wants this job, please make it stop. It turns out multiple world ending threats at the same time is kinda stressful. It sucks.

Also Visaria killed the Archduke and his big brother because they wanted to open the become as Gods door which would kill everyone. Her girl friend vaporized in the process. No one will ever try to do it again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

♪♪♪ I know I said the music started to slap in Zilart but everything in Chains is top tier and you should feel great shame if you aren't smashing the links to the new songs at full volume so your neighbors can enjoy them as well. ♪♪♪

Grav'iton for like 10 seconds

Depths of the Soul

The Ruler of the Skies

Dusk and Dawn

Anxiety

A little bit later

Hey, what's up? Why are the tin cans running around in a panic? Did they figure out I killed the Archduke?

The Sea of Shu'Meyo is north of Qufim. It's where they blew up the crystal. Anyway it wasn't me this time.

Oh. Okay I'll just wait here... I guess they aren't after me.

Hey kid.

Whatcha got? Some kinda pendant?

Ah... Seems I'm blacking out again... At least I'm at a doctor's office...

Next time: I have no idea what is happening

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's a really nice brooch / pendant / jeweled thing at least, and is likely entirely unrelated to the explosion as well.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

SIGSEGV posted:

It's a really nice brooch / pendant / jeweled thing at least, and is likely entirely unrelated to the explosion as well.

Yes that is a nice Dreamstone pendant totally not-plot-important piece of jewelry you have there, kid :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh my God, his eyes, they're so big, this kid has an acute infection of the Anime.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh my God, his eyes, they're so big, this kid has an acute infection of the Anime.

:allears:

*slaps the side of chains*

We can fit so many animes in this bad boy.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Boy do I have fond memories of Chains. The boss fights were hard as hell. F&U is 100% not kidding about the music BTW, CoP's OST is aces.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yeah the boss battles are... something alright. IMO this expansion is the peak FFXI experience. This was the golden glory days. Even if my favourite job came one expac later.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Chillgamesh posted:

Boy do I have fond memories of Chains. The boss fights were hard as hell. F&U is 100% not kidding about the music BTW, CoP's OST is aces.

Yeah, personally, I'd put ToAH higher on the favorites list, but it's really close. Chains is still super awesome, even if I completed it before The Changes (for good, ftr), I am very glad it's so much more accessible now. Level capped *zones* anyone? :shepicide:

And the music is so good they named the entire NA concert tour after the ending theme!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I don't think The Changes were for the better personally, but then I enjoy danger and suffering. That's why I played this game, after all.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I don't think The Changes were for the better personally, but then I enjoy danger and suffering. That's why I played this game, after all.

I loved how long S-E let people languish and suffer without making it easier to complete CoP. It felt like a real accomplishment to be in the endgame zones or walking around Jeuno with CoP gear. The Changes were necessary for the way the game evolved, but I'll always have the memories of grinding the poo poo out of CoP and ToAU stuff while chatting with friends on Ventrilo.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

There was that one patch in ToAU where they broke the damage formula for two-handed weapons and you basically always did critical hit damage even with normal attacks. I showed up to a merit party as WAR/SAM with the Great Axe from the first tier of CoP's endgame bosses, and ended up having to go back to town to switch to /NIN because no one could keep threat off the absurd amount of damage I was outputting, it ruled.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Chillgamesh posted:

There was that one patch in ToAU where they broke the damage formula for two-handed weapons and you basically always did critical hit damage even with normal attacks. I showed up to a merit party as WAR/SAM with the Great Axe from the first tier of CoP's endgame bosses, and ended up having to go back to town to switch to /NIN because no one could keep threat off the absurd amount of damage I was outputting, it ruled.

I miss the "what did THIS patch break" threads over on the forums. FFXI is made of spaghetti code and arcane magicks.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Haha... The first Corsair Job quest was 70 screenshots and I missed a lot of the gun spinning... I'm going to die of old age before I finish this stupid LP.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I miss the "what did THIS patch break" threads over on the forums. FFXI is made of spaghetti code and arcane magicks.

Patch day was yesterday.

This is what my monthly(ambuscade list is messed up too) quests look like:

Let me translate...

0/3 Goblin Dial
0/1 Chocobo Race
0/1 Shadow Lord HTB
0/1 Walk of Echoes

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Hahaha. Look, at least it's not Cure spells doing tens of thousands of damage to undead. That happened once.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Hahaha. Look, at least it's not Cure spells doing tens of thousands of damage to undead. That happened once.

No joke, they should do this again, maybe just tweaked down a bit. WHM self-Light SC with bursting Cures would make the job actually interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I remember that!