Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The whole point is that the bad guys don't know about the planet's existence, much less how to get there. Dagan wanted the remaining Jedi to hide there and rebuild their numbers, leaving once they're strong enough to defeat the villains. His goal after being revived is the same, except his new army would be the Raiders rather than the Jedi and the new villain is the Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm sure that What is the DEAL with Tanalorr is a sequel hook too, along with Cal joining the Sad Dad club, and the darkside stuff.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

They never really tied up how the Nihil found Tanalorr in the first place, so it's likely the next game opens with the Empire finding it the same way

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

It's really funny how when Merrin is first introduced, she's just a spooky angry witch without much personality to speak of, but the moment she starts talking to Cal instead of yelling at him, she displays that excellent dry humour. I think a big part of why it's great is that the VA delivery is flawless.

Yeah, it's a shame Merrin comes to the party so late in the first game. We needed like at least a full planet with her chiming in and such, although it's fine if she bonds quickly. Her old company on Dathomir was not the best.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I guess I should spoiler this because it's talking about villains and the future:

I kind of wish there was still an antagonist out there for Cal. it's fine that Vader keeps popping up, but he's not really Cal's enemy. The empire is fine as the main antagonist, but I kind of wish there was someone out there for Cal to have beef with. They're going to have to introduce new enemies in the next game, but maybe it would have been cool for Bode to stick around idk.

I guess there just aren't many characters on the baddie team.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I mean, Bode was new this game and was really compelling. Dagan was kind of meh a s a villain. I felt he was more of just an enemy with no stakes. If anything I was hoping Rayvis would be recurring. I was way more invested in him than Dagan.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JBP posted:

I guess I should spoiler this because it's talking about villains and the future:

I kind of wish there was still an antagonist out there for Cal. it's fine that Vader keeps popping up, but he's not really Cal's enemy. The empire is fine as the main antagonist, but I kind of wish there was someone out there for Cal to have beef with. They're going to have to introduce new enemies in the next game, but maybe it would have been cool for Bode to stick around idk.

I guess there just aren't many characters on the baddie team.

Yeah, it's kinda weird that they had an original, personal villain in the first one, but then abruptly killed her off to make Vader the final boss. Seems like a weird choice if there's at least some hope of getting to do a sequel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, it's kinda weird that they had an original, personal villain in the first one, but then abruptly killed her off to make Vader the final boss. Seems like a weird choice if there's at least some hope of getting to do a sequel.

They probably couldn't gamble on a sequel. Remember thr first game was one EA was sure waa going to fail because it wasn't multiplayer

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's kind of funny that Star Wars characters tend to have tit for tat ongoing battles with one another for ages, but if you fight Cal Kestis more than once he is gonna kill you dead.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TremorX posted:

They never really tied up how the Nihil found Tanalorr in the first place, so it's likely the next game opens with the Empire finding it the same way

I believe the whole deal with the Nihil is they knew secret hyperspace shortcuts so I assume that’s how they got to Tanalorr.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

It's kind of funny that Star Wars characters tend to have tit for tat ongoing battles with one another for ages, but if you fight Cal Kestis more than once he is gonna kill you dead.

I said it before but it's really insanely absurd how crazy a badass Cal is presented as for a dude who is supposed to be a forgotten nobody.

He's the Empire's #1 most wanted badass Jedi, he butchered his way through multiple Inquisitors, several fully trained Jedi/Sith, entire armies of stormtroopers, and is considered enough of a tactical nuke that luring him to an enemy base is considered a valid way to *destroy the base* instead of killing him. He's burned his way through some of the best bounty hunters the galaxy has to offer, almost kidnapped a senator directly off Corucscant, had all kinds of badass adventures... like seriously he's effectively Kyle Katarn except he could probably wreck Katarn's poo poo by this point. He's not quite yet Starkiller crazy but he's close!

.. man, "Cal Ketus vs Starkiller" would be a fun third game.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

Clearly time to bring back Jerec who I believe has been retconned to be an Inquisitor.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They probably couldn't gamble on a sequel. Remember thr first game was one EA was sure waa going to fail because it wasn't multiplayer

That was one of my first ideas, but I couldn't remember much about the development. It makes sense, I'd forgotten the game was going against the grain like that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It's kind of funny to realize this game takes place right around the same time as Obi-Wan, so Vader takes two beatings pretty close to each other, even if one of them was a win.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bobjr posted:

It's kind of funny to realize this game takes place right around the same time as Obi-Wan, so Vader takes two beatings pretty close to each other, even if one of them was a win.

I prefer to pretend that whole thing never happened and isn't canon (the Obi-Wan show). None of it makes any sense anyways.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Anyways, I beat the game at 20 hours in. I liked it a lot on the whole, it was a solid improvement in almost every area I'd hoped for. I think my biggest remaining gripe is that the platforming design and implementation is so swingy. It feels like for every traversal sequence that's awesome and fun, there's another that I get mad at after the seventh or eighth time because something just fails to work right. I was hoping that would be tighter, but it felt pretty similar to the first one.
Mostly great otherwise though, I can't decide whether to continue on looking for stuff I missed, or try running through faster on NG+.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Is there a Jedi Luke switch-a-like anywhere? The Cordova emitter is basically the same as Luke’s but not seen a switch part yet that comes close. I’ve a Frankensteined set of sabres that are a mix of Cordova and High Republic parts so far. Digging the Samurai style wrap on the Justice handle.

Alchenar posted:

“Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will...”

Yeah, ain’t gonna lie: I’m thinking about this every time I stumble on a new boss and break out the dark boosted power strikes when it invariably starts kicking my arse and I want it over with…

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

I said it before but it's really insanely absurd how crazy a badass Cal is presented as for a dude who is supposed to be a forgotten nobody.

He's the Empire's #1 most wanted badass Jedi, he butchered his way through multiple Inquisitors, several fully trained Jedi/Sith, entire armies of stormtroopers, and is considered enough of a tactical nuke that luring him to an enemy base is considered a valid way to *destroy the base* instead of killing him. He's burned his way through some of the best bounty hunters the galaxy has to offer, almost kidnapped a senator directly off Corucscant, had all kinds of badass adventures... like seriously he's effectively Kyle Katarn except he could probably wreck Katarn's poo poo by this point. He's not quite yet Starkiller crazy but he's close!

.. man, "Cal Ketus vs Starkiller" would be a fun third game.

https://imgur.com/a/8JoQPHf

E: I love Greez in a flap "don't tell me he was fighting the entire base at once! He was wasn't he!?"

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 8, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Sentinel Red posted:

Is there a Jedi Luke switch-a-like anywhere?

I think it’s part of the deluxe edition?

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I said come in! posted:

I prefer to pretend that whole thing never happened and isn't canon (the Obi-Wan show). None of it makes any sense anyways.

The Auralnauts redeem it with "Larry." Without Obi-Wan, we don't get stormtroopers singing sea shanties, so I welcome it with open arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXCcZSxHsAo

TremorX fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 8, 2023

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

TremorX posted:

The Auralnauts redeem it with "Larry." Without Obi-Wan, we don't get stormtroopers singing sea shanties, so I welcome it with open arms.

He’s actually going by Bonjo now

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TremorX posted:

Oh god, I forgot about Larry Kenobi. I pretty much lost track of the Auralnauts over the last few years, I have some catching up to do :tipshat:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Finally getting around to playing and got through the intro and some of Koboh. Loving it so far, and the game seems stable for me on PC. If there have been any hiccups, I haven't noticed them.

I popped hard for the Z-95s (EDIT: Also appreciate that the consoles have a similar look to the fighters in Squadrons) and I loved the home video of the Mantis crew eating dinner.

The customization is wild. I appreciate that someone probably looked at The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption 2 and decided to do the same here. My favorite little detail so far is each lightsaber color having its own distinct hum. That's super cool.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 8, 2023

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

PunkBoy posted:

The customization is wild. I appreciate that someone probably looked at The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption 2 and decided to do the same here. My favorite little detail so far is each lightsaber color having its own distinct hum. That's super cool.

Wait what, no way. Is there a video or something comparing them?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

404notfound posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB1GcA_pKYg

This game is the loving bomb dude. That's passion.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So having beaten the game now, it gives me no pleasure that my earlier opinion— Dagan is the better villain and he gets killed too early on and anti-climactically, and Bode is a poor replacement — is still how I feel. And on top of that, the Big Twist sequence is really the climax of the game and the actual ending is a letdown. Really doesn’t help that Tanalorr turns out to be four empty hallways and then a single boss fight.

PunkBoy posted:

I think that’s canonical. The lightsabers you get at Galaxy’s Edge also switch hums when you swap out the crystals, and to my ear, it was the same as how it sounded in Survivor. (White’s got a really distinctive buzzy quality.)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Pretty sure they're consistent with screen canon, too, like the white blade sounds like Ahsoka's sabers.

lol one of the KX droid heavy attack voice lines is "MAXIMUM EFFORT"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dagan sucks actually

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Honestly, I think all the villains are pretty mid-tier. Rayvis is probably the best of them. That dude is having a blast. Been waiting centuries to go out in a blaze of glory and he's just so stoked to finally shoot his shot.

Similar to Palpatine, I think Star Wars villains are at their best when they lean into the monochromatic morality and go full supervillain caricature.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

404notfound posted:

You can hear them when you select them

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The villains were all good in their own ways, but none had enough focus overall (also not helped by the long down times between story beats running around collecting things, so gunning through on NG+ helps)

I do appreciate the character parallels on subsequent playthroughs, however, when you have hindsight and experience with it to better get a feel for it rather than the first time where it's "whoa wait what hold on stop go back"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dagan is the only villain who sucked imo.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

TK-42-1 posted:

The voice work in this game is above and beyond even the best animated works. I guess it helps that they did a lot of it in mocap, but even then there’s times where I forget that it’s all animated. The acting is just really top notch.

Except this one recurring Pilgrim whose echoes you keep finding on Jedha. It's especially horrible and noticeable because he's opposite another guy who is actually putting in effort and adding inflection to his voice, and this bungling guy is just Kool-Aiding into the conversation with weirdly stiff and overly loud and overannunciated stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'm just throwing ideas out here, but I think the story might have been improved with:

Cade being introduced in this game and the heel turn happening in the next game.

Dagan starting out as someone trust worthy. You get him out of the tank, he tells you the story about trying to find the planet. You start helping him. He even trains Cal a little bit even becoming a little of a father figure. Then as things progress you find out what really happened back in the day and then he flips to a bad guy.

Bottom line is both needed to be fleshed out more which you can't really fit properly into one game.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do wish the bounties were a little more open. It was a little annoying that you had to go offworld again and again and find one specific spot only to need to go back to the saloon to get another one.

The boss fight and Boba showing up was fun though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If they did a DLC where they had battles that were just waves and waves of enemies I'd play the poo poo out of it.

They could even introduce playable Merrin for it to satisfy the freaks. Basically mercenaries mode but give it more flavour like you're defending a rebel escape from the empire or something.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Greez cooking sim

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Jose Oquendo posted:

I'm just throwing ideas out here, but I think the story might have been improved with:

Cade being introduced in this game and the heel turn happening in the next game.

Dagan starting out as someone trust worthy. You get him out of the tank, he tells you the story about trying to find the planet. You start helping him. He even trains Cal a little bit even becoming a little of a father figure. Then as things progress you find out what really happened back in the day and then he flips to a bad guy.

Bottom line is both needed to be fleshed out more which you can't really fit properly into one game.

One thing I think the game does well is assuming the player is intelligent.

I mean, you find Dagan in the Rehabilitation Wing. They just don't bother to spell out what he's being rehabilitated for; his physical injuries, or his losing himself to the Dark Side?

Similarly, I love how when Cal gets into the escape pod on the Lucrehulk, he just mentions how much he hates them and looks terrified, and we don't get a sudden flashback to the last time he was on one of these pods, escaping Order 66 after watching his master get killed.

On the other hand, it bugs me that he spends the entire game doing Force Push and Force Pull but it never occurs to him about Force-Things-Go-Up and Force-Things-Go-Down.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

JBP posted:

If they did a DLC where they had battles that were just waves and waves of enemies I'd play the poo poo out of it.

The first game eventually added like a battle mode in the meditation menu, so

JBP posted:

They could even introduce playable Merrin for it to satisfy the freaks.

Hey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

TheCenturion posted:

On the other hand, it bugs me that he spends the entire game doing Force Push and Force Pull but it never occurs to him about Force-Things-Go-Up and Force-Things-Go-Down.
I mean, Luke had to get a special lesson in that one too.

Re: final boss I thought Bode got plenty of fleshing out. Between the time you spend with him, his backstory, and all the echoes you can find afterwards, you get a pretty clear sense of his character, and a good mix of sympathy and anger at him. Dagan is kind of undercooked, but I'm not sure that giving him a full game would change that. He's just not that deep a character, and exists more to drive the plot and to serve as a fake-out villain.