Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

lol at this hard hitting closer

https://twitter.com/DasSchinkenbrot/status/1653871500804648961

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
So did the Guandique guy actually do it or was he just the designated patsy- either way he got off scot-free, vs. Condit taking the heat in the court of public opinion

Until reading that thread I was always under the impression Condit killed her

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

If he did it it was because he was paid. The crazy thing is that Condit had her killed, and he would have gotten away with if if he wasn’t a minor speed bump to the expansion of American capitalism.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol after Condit left office he tried to own a couple of Baskin Robbins locations and failed miserably.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol after Condit left office he tried to own a couple of Baskin Robbins locations and failed miserably.

It's dangerous to challenge Jeni's as a Democrat

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

haha fucker

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

https://twitter.com/mattakersmusic/status/1654981003218235392?s=20

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

2 fun stories I’ve heard about dear Allen.

The landing at Normandy, despite being successful, was a massive disaster. The Allies were expecting light German resistance, and that’s because it’s what Allen told them.

Also, he reportedly broke down crying when Rosevelt told him to stop ending every letter with “Heil Hitler.” Seems like a guy you don’t want to listen to when going to war against the Nazis.

It’s like the US never was ideologically opposed to the Nazis or something. :thunk:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

someone lease repost these images they won’t load for me :tinfoil:

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

2 fun stories I’ve heard about dear Allen.

The landing at Normandy, despite being successful, was a massive disaster. The Allies were expecting light German resistance, and that’s because it’s what Allen told them.

Also, he reportedly broke down crying when Rosevelt told him to stop ending every letter with “Heil Hitler.” Seems like a guy you don’t want to listen to when going to war against the Nazis.

It’s like the US never was ideologically opposed to the Nazis or something. :thunk:

if you can dig up a source on the normandy thing i'd very appreciate it, i'd never heard that before but also i have precisely zero trouble believing it

motherfucker hanging out in zurich during the war unauthorizedly trying to cut deals with german generals to coup hitler in exchange for peace with the western allies, so they could team up against the soviets, which i think there's a decent chance if he'd been successful the US would've honored whatever terms he gave the germans

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wait, what

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I can't find a reference to the Normandy/D-Day part, but here's an excerpt from chapter 1 of "The Devil's Chessboard"

quote:

Dulles knew many of the central players in the secretive Swiss financial milieu because he and his brother had worked with them as clients or business partners before the war. Sullivan and Cromwell, the Dulles brothers’ Wall Street law firm, was at the center of an intricate international network of banks, investment firms, and industrial conglomerates that rebuilt Germany after World War I. Foster, the law firm’s top executive, grew skilled at structuring the complex merry-go-round of transactions that funneled massive U.S. investments into German industrial giants like the IG Farben chemical conglomerate and Krupp Steel. The profits generated by these investments then flowed to France and Britain in the form of war reparations, and then back to the United States to pay off war loans.

Foster Dulles became so deeply enmeshed in the lucrative revitalization of Germany that he found it difficult to separate his firm’s interests from those of the rising economic and military power—even after Hitler consolidated control over the country in the 1930s. Foster continued to represent German cartels like IG Farben as they were integrated into the Nazis’ growing war machine, helping the industrial giants secure access to key war materials. He donated money to America First, the campaign to keep the United States out of the gathering tempest in Europe, and helped sponsor a rally honoring Charles Lindbergh, the fair-haired aviation hero who had become enchanted by Hitler’s miraculous revival of Germany. Foster refused to shut down the Berlin office of Sullivan and Cromwell—whose attorneys were forced to sign their correspondence “Heil Hitler”—until his partners (including Allen), fearful of a public relations disaster, insisted he do so. When Foster finally gave in—at an extremely tense 1935 partners’ meeting in the firm’s lavish offices at 48 Wall Street—he broke down in tears.

Foster still could not bring himself to cut off his former Berlin law partner, Gerhardt Westrick, when he showed up in New York in August 1940 to lobby on behalf of the Third Reich. Setting himself up in an opulent Westchester County estate, Westrick invited influential New York society types for weekend parties, taking the opportunity to subject them to his pro-Hitler charm offensive. Westrick’s guest lists were dominated by oil executives because he was particularly keen on ensuring the continued flow of fuel supplies to Germany, despite the British embargo. The lobbyist finally went too far—even by the hospitable standards of the New York society set—when he had the gall to throw a gala party at the Waldorf-Astoria on June 26, 1940, to celebrate the Nazi defeat of France. Westrick’s shameless audacity created an uproar in the New York press, but Foster rushed to the Nazi promoter’s defense, insisting he had “a high regard for his integrity.”

Until late in the day, Foster harbored sympathy for the devil himself, Adolf Hitler. Even after the Nazi regime pushed through the anti-Semitic Nuremberg Laws of 1935 and unleashed waves of terror against Germany’s Jewish population, Foster clung to a sympathetic view of the Führer. He could not help being impressed by a man “who from humble beginnings . . . has attained the unquestioned leadership of a great nation,” Foster told a friend in 1937. By 1939, Eustace Seligman—a Jewish senior partner at Sullivan and Cromwell—had become so fed up with Foster’s position on Nazi Germany that he confronted his boss, telling Foster he was hurting the firm’s reputation by publicly suggesting “that Germany’s position is morally superior to that of the Allies.”

a close reading tells us that it was John Foster Dulles, though, and not Allen, that implemented the policy of signing off the way they did

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Chris Tucker was a rising star, riding the successes of Friday, Fifth Element, Rush Hour 1 + 2, then he takes a trip to Africa on the Lolita Express with Epstein, Clinton, Spacey in 2002 and afterwards he doesn’t really do many more movies. I always thought it was because he didn’t “play ball” and so he got kinda blacklisted

Rush Hour 3 in 2007 is a notable exception to this but otherwise he goes from doing a few movies a year to doing one movie every five year or so

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

homeboy hated his dad, good for him

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

I was doom scrolling YouTube shorts the other day and one was the chorus from Serbia strong with subtitles and they referred to the Croatians as ustase. I thought that was a strange thing to say and a very specific insult so I started reading the history of the build to the Yugo civil war. It never came up that part of the anger was that the Croatian libs integrated the collaborators into their party to sure up support for breaking off Croatia as an independent country.

This led me to the realisation that since the civil war resolved without Sherman burning his way to the sea the USA has somehow found a way to always end up on the wrong side of every war they got involved in. I'm sure the only reason they got involved in the European theatre in WW2 is because they realised Germany was going to lose and they needed to ensure the constancy of right wing terror.

Gehlen org, operation paperclip, having Mengele provide support on keeping their soldiers healthy in the tropics while overthrowing left wing governments, and do much more!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

the Dulles thing is infuriating because it is now old enough that it will never have to be acknowledged by anyone important, and it will just be lost to history, or what remains of history

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

oh my god lmfao

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Dulles brothers have been a disaster for mankind.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

mdemone posted:

the Dulles thing is infuriating because it is now old enough that it will never have to be acknowledged by anyone important, and it will just be lost to history, or what remains of history

do what I do and bring up the Dulles brothers being Nazi traitors anytime someone you know is flying through Dulles airport

oh your flight gets in at 7? that's cool, did you know John Foster Dulles who the airport is named for was tightly linked to German industrial interests during Hitler's rise?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

my bony fealty posted:

do what I do and bring up the Dulles brothers being Nazi traitors anytime someone you know is flying through Dulles airport

oh your flight gets in at 7? that's cool, did you know John Foster Dulles who the airport is named for was tightly linked to German industrial interests during Hitler's rise?

Lmfao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Your connecting flight passes through an airport named after someone who broke down crying after he was told he couldn't keep signing all his letters with "Heil Hitler" anymore

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

cagliostr0 posted:

I was doom scrolling YouTube shorts the other day and one was the chorus from Serbia strong with subtitles and they referred to the Croatians as ustase. I thought that was a strange thing to say and a very specific insult so I started reading the history of the build to the Yugo civil war. It never came up that part of the anger was that the Croatian libs integrated the collaborators into their party to sure up support for breaking off Croatia as an independent country.

This led me to the realisation that since the civil war resolved without Sherman burning his way to the sea the USA has somehow found a way to always end up on the wrong side of every war they got involved in. I'm sure the only reason they got involved in the European theatre in WW2 is because they realised Germany was going to lose and they needed to ensure the constancy of right wing terror.

Gehlen org, operation paperclip, having Mengele provide support on keeping their soldiers healthy in the tropics while overthrowing left wing governments, and do much more!

All things being equal, I think the US would have preferred to do what Sweden did and play both sides as much as possible, but as big as the section of leadership wanting a US-German alliance was, there was a bigger section that wanted friendly relations with England and France. And when Germany couldn't put together a fascist coup in England (or pull off the Business Plot in America) that pretty much sealed us coming down against them a decade plus later.

It's easy to forget just how far behind Germany was in terms of empire-building. They had overseas colonies sure, but in terms of supplying the raw materials to feed the American industrial engine, it was really no choice at all which side to back once the battle lines in Europe were drawn.

And then there's the whole alliance with Japan. That pretty much guaranteed America coming into the war against Germany sooner or later, as Japan was definitely going to be kicking out not just the Americans but the rest of our European allies. There's an open question what would have happened if Japan hadn't gone after American colonies but given their position, there's no way America doesn't at a minimum provide support against Japan, and if the British have American bases to operate out of that Japan can't attack, well it's only a matter of time until they get fed up with that and attack one and then boom we're in a war against Japan.

We obviously wanted to contain the Communist Menace, and history has proved time and again that liberals hate communists more than fascists, but WW2 had too much WW1-style military and economic alliance entanglements to ever make the US backing Germany against Britain and France a serious possibility.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

I can't find a reference to the Normandy/D-Day part, but here's an excerpt from chapter 1 of "The Devil's Chessboard"

a close reading tells us that it was John Foster Dulles, though, and not Allen, that implemented the policy of signing off the way they did

Funny how one of the people who wrote the Treaty of Versailles, specifically the article about German "guilt", ended up both profiteering of the war reparations but also crying about not being allowed to sign off documents with a Heil Hitler

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

Your connecting flight passes through an airport named after someone who broke down crying after he was told he couldn't keep signing all his letters with "Heil Hitler" anymore

lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

my bony fealty posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
If any Dulles was so bad why is an airport named after him

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

so which is the good version of the wendy painting book. where do i buy it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

I was about to bet that there were no airports named after good people, but remembered Jackson's

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Private Cumshoe posted:

why would the US government name an airport in the capital after a Nazi piece of poo poo? :iiam:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
What, like they're going to name it after a non-American? We can't name them all Hitler Airport

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/Spriter99880/status/1655307964138369025?s=20

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

he's right

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Controversial???

borgnar
Dec 30, 2018
just because it's objectively true doesn't mean there can't be made-up controversy about it!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
someone needs to utter the words "Jolyon West" on the presidential debate stage

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
How do you pronounce jolyon anyway is it just jolly-on or is there a geoduck thing going on here

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

endocriminologist posted:

How do you pronounce jolyon anyway is it just jolly-on or is there a geoduck thing going on here

Julien I believe

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Jo-leon I think

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol