Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Cannabis-users will not ever shut up about cannabis for two seconds. Coffee-drinkers usually don't speak at all (statistically).

They are both inconvenient to prepare and use and both smell terrible in their commonly used forms. Switch everyone to caffeine pills and weed edibles and all the issues are solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

hallo spacedog posted:

Pretty sure opening someone's cultural cookbooks intentionally and talking about how you think the food all looks disgusting is indeed pretty racist

Dude, the post was an answer to a question was about how someone could have a preference for plain pasta.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Johnny Truant posted:

nah both extremes of these groups are insufferable, one doesn't have a monopoly on it

That's racist.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Desert Bus posted:

They are both inconvenient to prepare and use and both smell terrible in their commonly used forms. Switch everyone to caffeine pills and weed edibles and all the issues are solved.

Weed smell I get hating, but. The smell of fresh coffee is a delight you'll only take from me when I'm dead in the ground.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Weed smell I get hating, but. The smell of fresh coffee is a delight you'll take from me when I'm dead in the ground.

Eh, I don't particularly like it so :shrug:. Then again I don't like the taste either.

e: Now, a fresh glass of milk straight out of the carton, that's another thing. Can't beat the aroma of gently caress-all.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 8, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I love the aroma of a nice coffee hitting my nostrils as I smoke a huge bowl

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
People are different. I once knew a guy that loved the smell of the hair on his own forearms, especially after being singed by a source of heat.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

People are different. I once knew a guy that loved the smell of the hair on his own forearms, especially after being singed by a source of heat.

I smelled my forearm out of curiosity. I thought I'd smell like meat but it's just... ever-so-slightly tobaccoy? (I don't smoke, no-one smokes these days.)

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Here's my take. It's not really about the amount. This guy is clearly cannabis dependent. He's been smoking every night for a really long time. His wife is concerned because it's obvious that cutting down or quitting would not be easy for him. He admits he's basically unable to avoid using it as a coping mechanism. Difficulty quitting and cutting down, etc.. to answer your question it seems the issue here is less that the guys smoking Snoop Dogg sized blunts and more that his wife is concerned about the pattern of use and dependence on the drug as a lifestyle choice.

Now, dependence is related to, but ultimately separate from the question of addiction .Which is obviously going to be slanted by his perspective, but it doesn't sound like the cannabis is causing any problems per se. rather the wife has a philosophical position that people basically shouldn't be dependent on anything.

Personally, I would rip her argument to shreds . I would put good money on the table that she is one of the 90% plus members of the worlds population that are caffeine dependent. And quitting caffeine is going to be a lot harder than quitting weed for anyone. so right out the door that position is not internally coherent. Caffeine is actually a good example of this because having drug dependence doesn't necessarily mean that the drug is harming your life. Caffeine improves attention,memory, alertness, response times, and probably helps prevent thousands of car crashes every year to say nothing of increased productivity. It seems like this guy has a similar relationship with weed where he's dependent on it as a coping mechanism, and simply as something he enjoys doing. the idea that that's a bad thing on its own is pretty difficult to support..The only difference between caffeine dependence and cannabis dependence is that cannabis use is socially stigmatized and caffeine use is not.

She's pregnant. He shouldn't be smoking around her and definitely shouldn't be smoking with an infant or small child in the house unless he's prepared to shower and change clothes before doing any child care. She may also be concerned that he won't be as capable of doing his part of child care if he's high. And if he is (and I think you're right on this part) dependent on weed as a coping mechanism, quitting just as he goes into a massively high stress first child experience is going to bomb dramatically. Smoking up every night will not be an option.

Also, it doesn't say if he's smoking in the house or around her. Prenatal exposure to marijuana is associated with adverse outcomes, including risk of low birth weight, smaller head circumference and even stillbirth. Since she's not smoking, the risk isn't as high, but he might still be creating a risk by exposing her to second-hand smoke. She should be avoiding caffeine now, too, but it's not going to cause her or the baby any risk if he drinks a Mountain Dew.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Bonster posted:

She's pregnant. He shouldn't be smoking around her and definitely shouldn't be smoking with an infant or small child in the house unless he's prepared to shower and change clothes before doing any child care. She may also be concerned that he won't be as capable of doing his part of child care if he's high. And if he is (and I think you're right on this part) dependent on weed as a coping mechanism, quitting just as he goes into a massively high stress first child experience is going to bomb dramatically. Smoking up every night will not be an option.

Also, it doesn't say if he's smoking in the house or around her. Prenatal exposure to marijuana is associated with adverse outcomes, including risk of low birth weight, smaller head circumference and even stillbirth. Since she's not smoking, the risk isn't as high, but he might still be creating a risk by exposing her to second-hand smoke. She should be avoiding caffeine now, too, but it's not going to cause her or the baby any risk if he drinks a Mountain Dew.

This post is sponsored by DARE: to keep the kids off drugs!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

i am a moron posted:

I dunno, does anyone care if people smoke weed anymore? Last place I lived it was legal, current state I have a medical license and go buy it at a store. I would guess 50% of the people I meet anymore smoke/vape/eat edibles. My wife doesn’t use it regularly, we have multiple kids, and I picked it back up after we started dating/got married due to an employment related abstinence and the only convo we’ve ever had was her asking me to please buy a safe to store it all in

nerds get haughty about it on these forums, yeah

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Cannabis-users will not ever shut up about cannabis for two seconds. Coffee-drinkers usually don't speak at all (statistically).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

:siren: warning: accidental (???) n-word :siren:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 8, 2023

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

i am a moron posted:

I didn't say weed was bad. Toke up if you're an adult. But it isn't harmless and it has an effect on neurological development. He could switch to edibles on the weekend as long as there's a sober adult there who's okay with being responsible for the baby.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Johnny Truant posted:

nah both extremes of these groups are insufferable, one doesn't have a monopoly on it

The median coffee-drinker is dead.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

hallo spacedog posted:

Pretty sure opening someone's cultural cookbooks intentionally and talking about how you think the food all looks disgusting is indeed pretty racist
No poo poo. Your reading comprehension is bullshit too. You read a sentence and comprehend an entirely different one. Look at this

Runcible Cat posted:

How is it even possible to get a taste for just "plain pasta with no sauce or meat"? Eurgh.

Captain Fargle posted:

Autism.

Not a joke post. It's a thing.
What part of this exchange justifies anything?
Where in this conversation is anyone even bringing up literally any part of the post besides the literal eating of plain pasta? You and edogawa rando get a grip

InediblePenguin fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 8, 2023

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
You need to shower and change your clothes before being around the baby seems a bit extreme

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Bonster posted:

I didn't say weed was bad. Toke up if you're an adult. But it isn't harmless and it has an effect on neurological development. He could switch to edibles on the weekend as long as there's a sober adult there who's okay with being responsible for the baby.

It's also the actual smoke that catches on your clothes, same as smoking cigarettes. You don't just get tar and such just from burning tobacco leaves.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

tinytort posted:

Something heartwarming, for a change of pace.

AITA for yelling at my Girlfriend after she outed my son?

Good dad. Not really sure what the girlfriend was expecting. Did she want to be showered with praise and riches for outing a kid?

quote:

And something funny

AITA for not warning my hookup about the snake room?

I've also got a sign on the door that says "no step on snek" (this one lol https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/518gmSwLrvL.jpg)

To be honest, if i saw that specific sign, my first instinct would be that OP is being a cheeky libertarian and not that the room had a snake. But otherwise, OP is nta. Dude shouldn't have been snooping.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Runcible Cat posted:

UPDATE - AITA for telling my best friend his gf is disgusting?

This is nice, it really seems like they patched things up and worked on themselves and communicated well.

Edit: my bluebeard rear end snake room has people asking questions that my funny snake sign seems to have answered

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

DemoneeHo posted:

Good dad. Not really sure what the girlfriend was expecting. Did she want to be showered with praise and riches for outing a kid?

Look how good of a stepmom I'll be, I already caught him doing something he shouldn't.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Coffee drinkers think of themselves this way, but the truth is that they incessantly whine about not having had their coffee yet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Coffee drinkers think of themselves this way, but the truth is that they incessantly whine about not having had their coffee yet.

Only in failed states where there are people who haven't had their coffee yet :shrug:

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Only in failed states where there are people who haven't had their coffee yet :shrug:

Utah?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yes, Itah. But that's not important now.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Guildenstern Mother posted:

You need to shower and change your clothes before being around the baby seems a bit extreme

I think it's so they kid doesn't get used to associating you with the smell of weed bc that's a bummer? My dad smoked weed when my siblings were kids, but not me, and their biggest takeaway/memory of that time was Dad and Dads closet (where he hid his stashbox) reeking of weed. I dunno if that's really a memory you wanna leave with your kids about their childhood?

\/\/\/ ah yeah that makes sense, def worth doing for sure

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 8, 2023

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Having a smoker (of anything) in the house, even if not smoking around the kid, is associated with sids risk. The wash hands change clothes I think is supposed to somewhat mitigate that

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Worry not, there are a plethora of mormons who start their day with a nice piping cold can of coca cola because that's not against the rules for some reason.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

hallo spacedog posted:

Having a smoker (of anything) in the house, even if not smoking around the kid, is associated with sids risk. The wash hands change clothes I think is supposed to somewhat mitigate that

Yep, I didn't make that clear. Or, you know, mention it at all. But that's why.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

i am a moron posted:

Nah, you shouldn't be smoking weed around your kids. Not because you'll eat them (like in the Simpsons) or because they'll be crawling on the ceiling (like in Trainspotting) but because the baby is going to lose all respect for you when you're watching sesame street laughing because cookie monster just revealed some totally deep insights about life, man.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

hallo spacedog posted:

I can’t find anything besides increased levels of nicotine in the baby (which could also be passed via breast milk) and smoking cigarettes during pregnancy seems to increase the risk. I can’t find any evidence that smoking weed and then interacting with a baby is even touched on anywhere and it doesn’t seem to align with any actual research. If it’s an area of study for someone asserting this I’ll shut up but this seems like an enormous stretch

Edit: i do not think it’s okay to smoke anything indoors especially around kids but I’m not buying that anyone is going endangering their kids by not changing their clothes after smoking a joint outside or something

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 8, 2023

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
You can just vape weed without burning it now.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If I do this, my arm smells exactly like buttered popcorn. Especially if it singes the hairs.

I have no idea why.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
The fat goon jokes are just writing themselves now, huh?

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Marijuana is considered a lower risk substance compared to tobacco smoke. But since he can get cannabinoids through edibles, that's a safer bet. There is evidence of adverse outcomes of prenatal exposure:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2788451, https://reproductive-health-journal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12978-020-0880-9, but these primarily relate to the maternal parent smoking. If he's exposing her to second-hand smoke daily, she can be at risk. Cannabinoids can also pass through breast milk, increasing the child's exposure: https://publications.aap.org/pediat...heck=redirected. Infants whose mothers smoked have increased risk of SIDS at night, but not during the day: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fped.2022.809966/full#:~:text=Infants%20of%20mothers%20who%20used,during%20the%20day%20(18).. And, while this is an outdated study (2001), maternal and paternal marijuana use lead to an increase in SIDS risk: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11434841/.

Basically, it's a psychoactive substance that clings to your clothing and skin. There hasn't been a vast amount of research because it's been illegal until really recently, which makes it hard to get approval to do research, and it's generally not going to be as much of an impact as many other substances. You still don't want to expose your child to it while their brain is growing, because it isn't good for them: https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2019/marijuana-exposure-affects-developing-babies-brains/.

The rule of thumb is minimize pediatric exposure. Find other ways to consume or make sure you find ways, like changing clothes and at least washing your hands, to eliminate contact. Make sure there's a sober person there to be responsible for child care. Use sensible harm reduction procedures.

For the record, I'm pro-legalization and think pot is a lot lower risk than marijuana or alcohol for most people. People should be able to use responsibly and the idea of punishing people for it and not thinks like tobacco and booze is inherently racist and classist. As long as it makes you happy and you're still functional, use away. Just don't expose developing brains to it.

Also, don't give babies caffeine.

ETA: Lol, that should have pot is a lot lower risk than tobacco or alcohol, not that pot is lower risk than pot.

Bonster fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 8, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Bonster posted:

Marijuana is considered a lower risk substance compared to tobacco smoke. But since he can get cannabinoids through edibles, that's a safer bet. There is evidence of adverse outcomes of prenatal exposure:
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2788451, https://reproductive-health-journal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12978-020-0880-9, but these primarily relate to the maternal parent smoking. If he's exposing her to second-hand smoke daily, she can be at risk. Cannabinoids can also pass through breast milk, increasing the child's exposure: https://publications.aap.org/pediat...heck=redirected. Infants whose mothers smoked have increased risk of SIDS at night, but not during the day: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fped.2022.809966/full#:~:text=Infants%20of%20mothers%20who%20used,during%20the%20day%20(18).. And, while this is an outdated study (2001), maternal and paternal marijuana use lead to an increase in SIDS risk: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11434841/.

Basically, it's a psychoactive substance that clings to your clothing and skin. There hasn't been a vast amount of research because it's been illegal until really recently, which makes it hard to get approval to do research, and it's generally not going to be as much of an impact as many other substances. You still don't want to expose your child to it while their brain is growing, because it isn't good for them: https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2019/marijuana-exposure-affects-developing-babies-brains/.

The rule of thumb is minimize pediatric exposure. Find other ways to consume or make sure you find ways, like changing clothes and at least washing your hands, to eliminate contact. Make sure there's a sober person there to be responsible for child care. Use sensible harm reduction procedures.

For the record, I'm pro-legalization and think pot is a lot lower risk than marijuana or alcohol for most people. People should be able to use responsibly and the idea of punishing people for it and not thinks like tobacco and booze is inherently racist and classist. As long as it makes you happy and you're still functional, use away. Just don't expose developing brains to it.

Also, don't give babies caffeine.

Thanks for the response. Wasn’t trying to be too defensive but it’s definitely something I’ve done more than once and didn’t imagine there was any risk to it. I generally dont use any substances around my kids, but babies wake up at weird times sometimes

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

i am a moron posted:

Thanks for the response. Wasn’t trying to be too defensive but it’s definitely something I’ve done more than once and didn’t imagine there was any risk to it. I generally dont use any substances around my kids, but babies wake up at weird times sometimes

Yeah, if you do it once in a while it won't hurt them. You can always toss on a robe to smoke - it would cover your clothes and keep the smoke off. Take it off and wash your hands before you pick up the kids and you should be fine.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

In my experience of people who use marijuana daily, it's honestly only annoying when they get in their head about it, decide they need to "take a break" and then are loving awful to be around because that's the only thing they were doing to manage their anxiety and they have no other coping mechanisms. Obviously this is not a universal experience.

I don't smoke anymore because it makes me super panicky. I'm sure this has nothing to do with the eight or so cups of coffee I drink every day.

AITA for disagreeing with my dad and step mum wake up time rule?

quote:

About a month of two ago, my dad C (53M) and step mum B (51F) created a wake up time rule for me 22F. The rule is that when I am at their house, I must get up at 8am every weekday and 9:30am every weekend day no matter what. The 'purpose' of this rule is that apparently success people get up early in the morning, that seeing me sleep in until nearly midday made them angry when they work hard and their frustrations with me struggling to find a full-time job.

They argue that me getting up at those times is meant to be practising for a 9 to 5 job and their house their rules. I just view it as arbitrary. I am currently following this rule since their house their rules although I have expressed to them that although they can make me follow the rule, they can't make me agree with the rule and that I won't be following it when I'm not at their house.

There are multiple reasons I disagree with their rule. Firstly, I don't see the point in forcing myself to get up early if there is nothing to get up for. At the current moment, I don't do anything productive during those mornings. They don't seem to understand I'm more of a night owl. The activities I like to or need to do are either set or can be done in the afternoons, evenings and nights.

Secondly, I do not need practice. I have never had any trouble getting up in the morning when I need to such as for university or a job interview and have been a timely and organised person since childhood. I'm not against getting up for when I get a full time job or if I get more work, I just oppose getting up for the sake of getting up early.

Thirdly, I have a casual job that has shifts that start at 5pm on a weekday and result in me getting home around 10pm (before I have to make dinner, shower, etc) on a weekday. Historically I have worked this job 2 days a week although I am now aiming to do 3 to 4 days a week for this job. To give them credit though, I had a very slow period for this job where I barely being offered work when they made this rule.

Fourthly, even if I had a 9 to 5 job, why get up on weekends? Fifthly, I know B often gets up after 8am on weekdays.

I know there's something to be said for waking up around the same time every day to regulate your sleep schedule, but lol at needing to "practice" waking up, that's what alarms are for. (I know some people can just wake up naturally; I am not one of those people and never have been.)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My father pulled this poo poo when I was still living with my parents and had a job working overnight at a grocery store. I'd be getting home at 5am and he'd lose his loving mind at the idea of me being asleep while he had to get ready to be in Manhattan by 9am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022
Yeah but also what is she doing at 22 working just two days a week for five hours each day? I’m sure the parents are just worried she’s sleeping in every day, not finding a job or education and just wasting every day away.