Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 04, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

What is it with this guy? Does he just have absolutely no self-reflection at all?

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Hempuli posted:

Thanks! Said wacky life stuff was getting to know that I have 1 day instead of 1 month to finish up my thesis. Bad news: I worked really hard on it and tired myself out real bad. Good news: my thesis is done! :toot:
hey, congrats!

quote:

Fingerpori

The "Singer" tattoo really make me laugh here.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Krazy Kat(November 5, 1916)

Little Nemo(April 1, 1906)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Yay, edits!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

I don't think Holbrook intends Bethany to come across as such a terrible rear end in a top hat, but yeesh. How much of a corporate bootlicker are you that you can't keep someone's secret from your abusive boss?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Levyraati was an old Finnish TV show, where they would play music videos for hot songs and then a panel of musicians and journalists would rate them. For this one I have no idea. A musician friend says that the theme song for Mission Impossible is indeed in 5/4 time signature, so that might be the joke. The Finnish word used here can mean both rating and estimate, so maybe the joke is that Heimo thought he should estimate the song's time signature?

Who knows.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Feb. 17, 1957)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/7/03

Brenda Starr 12/7-9/50

Smokey Stover 7/11/54

Everyday Movies 5/25/36

"I was just thinking, Mopey, if we plant onions and carrots in it they'll beautify the place, and besides we can make a stew out of them afterwards."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/5-7/41

Jump ball!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

amigolupus posted:

I don't think Holbrook intends Bethany to come across as such a terrible rear end in a top hat, but yeesh. How much of a corporate bootlicker are you that you can't keep someone's secret from your abusive boss?

she's talking about her coworker friend, hence the last panel

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

kidcoelacanth posted:

she's talking about her coworker friend, hence the last panel

Hah, you're right. My eyes glossed over that part. I was just thinking of the strip the other day where Dethany told this lady that if they hire her as a business consultant, she's still going to tell the abusive boss every single progress they've made.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Scarlet has the kind of iron will where she'd just get a gun and go around righting wrongs if she didn't have the superpower. It's such a goofy strip but the writing is surprisingly tight. :allears:

No fear.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

RIP to magazine cartoonist Sam Gross, probably best known for this one from National Lampoon:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

genuinely disapppinted max isnt walking out with a hot dog and a propane tank, but otherwise im loving the dynamism from the new cartoonist

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

Levyraati was an old Finnish TV show, where they would play music videos for hot songs and then a panel of musicians and journalists would rate them. For this one I have no idea. A musician friend says that the theme song for Mission Impossible is indeed in 5/4 time signature, so that might be the joke. The Finnish word used here can mean both rating and estimate, so maybe the joke is that Heimo thought he should estimate the song's time signature?

Who knows.

That's what I would assume for the punchline, yeah. 5/4 songs are relatively uncommon, though not unheard of (and there's enough music out there that "uncommon" means there's still a hundred of them). The most well-known (to me) would probably be The Mission Impossible Theme, Take 5, Everything's Alright from JC Superstar, and Mars, Bringer of War (this one plays a lot more with rhythm than the other examples so can be difficult to catch, I had to check the sheet music to be sure when I found out).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

EasyEW posted:

You're lucky it's been raining all day. :tipshat:

Or the "half-assed attempt at authenticity" version:

Forgot to post this! But with your help and conveniently cropped picture, I was able to print out the strip and place our remaining piece over it. Perfect match! My mom and sister loved it and gifted it on to our newest slob In the family; my sisters daughter

Runs in the family

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Why Is There Habitat Loss If You're All Sapient Species With Concepts Of Nations, This Feels Like It Should Be A War Thing But Also You're Not Living In A Native Tiger Habitat To Begin With

Man does the flying look bad when they're in a background and not just in the sky.

Last panel:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

Who knows.

Is there a Finnish pun on song/score/time signature/rating? like 5/4 could be a punny equivocated response to something like "what number goes on the score"?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Hostile V posted:

Why Is There Habitat Loss If You're All Sapient Species With Concepts Of Nations, This Feels Like It Should Be A War Thing But Also You're Not Living In A Native Tiger Habitat To Begin With

To be fair, a bouquet of bacon would probably work on me too.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

We got our last cars just before all the touchscreen stuff took off (2014 and 2015) and we're REALLY hoping to make them last until the trend swings back to proper buttons.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Forgot to post this! But with your help and conveniently cropped picture, I was able to print out the strip and place our remaining piece over it. Perfect match! My mom and sister loved it and gifted it on to our newest slob In the family; my sisters daughter

Runs in the family

Pleasure to be of service. :)

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (June 5, 1935)

Peanuts (May 10, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 7, 1939)

Out Our Way (September 29-October 1, 1941)

And a bonus snippet from the October 1st front page that isn't relevant to anything, but it's one of those details that doesn't get retold very often.

In case you don't have your war timeline in front of you, we are currently in the thick of the German offensive against the Soviets, and some individual on the Soviet side has been firing up a transmitter and laying a poo poo-talking running commentary over the top of the regular German radio broadcasts. It's wasn't the hardest trick to do with pre-digital radio, which was underlined when the Nazis very quickly began pulling the same stunt on the BBC Home Service.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 8, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So I guess that's it, then? We don't get any resolution for Grandma Forth acting like an rear end in a top hat or how Sally being so non-confrontational made things worse. Just one strip having her play being a victim in that mess and another strip going back to the status quo of her being critical of everything.

Maybe they'd come back to it after this part with Hil's friend, but it was still an unsatisfying end.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "3 - Jucika and the Fashionable Hat."

"4 - Jucika on a Diet."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CommonShore posted:

Is there a Finnish pun on song/score/time signature/rating? like 5/4 could be a punny equivocated response to something like "what number goes on the score"?

No, not beyond the one I highlighted in the commentary.

The Finnish text literally translated is:

"And there we heard the theme song from Mission Impossible."
"What rating / score / estimate does Heimo give?"
"5/4"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Huxley posted:

We got our last cars just before all the touchscreen stuff took off (2014 and 2015) and we're REALLY hoping to make them last until the trend swings back to proper buttons.

good news! this is starting to happen because people have bitched so much about them because they suck for almost everything

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

good news! this is starting to happen because people have bitched so much about them because they suck for almost everything

They do! They're horrible!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Huxley posted:

I lucked out and even though my 2018 Mazda has a touchscreen panel, all the computer console stuff can also be controlled via big spinning wheel. In fact, it disables the touch screen while you're driving.

Still not used to an electric parking brake though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mercury Hat posted:

all the computer console stuff can also be controlled via big spinning wheel

picturing cars veering all across the lanes and off bridges because the phone lost bluebooth pairing

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Huxley posted:

I've heard that the pendulum is beginning to swing away from stupid touchscreen bullshit. The new hotness is nickel-and-diming customers by charging you for basic accessories that should come for free.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Mercury Hat posted:

I lucked out and even though my 2018 Mazda has a touchscreen panel, all the computer console stuff can also be controlled via big spinning wheel. In fact, it disables the touch screen while you're driving.

Still not used to an electric parking brake though.

Every time I drive my car (parking brake operated by left foot) I grasp for the electric parking brake control, and every time I drive my wife's (electric parking brake) I stomp my foot around looking for the pedal.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori

Who knows.
This is what I assumed was happening so I think it comes across well.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Honestly, I expected a cut to Cherry doing something.

Mary Worth

Proposal?

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wait so that sign actually works? How? If private property owners can dictate things like that, why can't all prey species just put up No Tresspassing/No Predation signs on their houses and lawns?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This guy has a really period appropriate beard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait so that sign actually works? How? If private property owners can dictate things like that, why can't all prey species just put up No Tresspassing/No Predation signs on their houses and lawns?
Well you see it works because Starbucks is a corporation and actually has money to enforce these things on a massive societal scale, and also because you can't use home invasions for the purposes of predation since the Goldilocks Act of 53.