Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

soooo... game good?

I've been waiting for 1.0, but impressions I've seen have been pretty mixed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

victrix posted:

soooo... game good?

I've been waiting for 1.0, but impressions I've seen have been pretty mixed

Its not DD1. Its like a spin-off more than a direct sequel. So, opinions will be varied. The combat is fundamentally the same with some improvements. Everything else is different. Its going to be divisive.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

well for my part, I loved the aesthetic of DD, liked the combat, disliked the inventory/party fiddling and really disliked the total length of the game

temple
Jul 29, 2006

victrix posted:

well for my part, I loved the aesthetic of DD, liked the combat, disliked the inventory/party fiddling and really disliked the total length of the game

Buddy you gonna love this game. its based on individual "runs" with 1 party and they take about 4 hours. Less if you die!

temple fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 2, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

temple posted:

Its not DD1. Its like a spin-off more than a direct sequel. So, opinions will be varied. The combat is fundamentally the same with some improvements. Everything else is different. Its going to be divisive.

One thing I keep bringing up is that having the game been Darkest Dungeon v2.0 would feel more like an expensive DLC than a sequel. People think that's what they wanted all along, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if that monkey paw finger curled people would be dissatisfied that the unpleasant aspects of DD1 got carried forward. Having the game heavily diverge from the first is definitely a risk but it is a risk I welcome from Red Hook. And in a way, it often reminds me of the Corpse Controversy-in DD1 early access they added corpses which significantly changed battles. People were so married to the metagame without them that they found any divergence to it unacceptable. There was compromise in making it an option you can toggle but by and large most of the detractors forgot about it soon enough.

I'm probably one of the bigger defenders of DD2 here but I'll admit that personally I was hoping for something halfway between the first and last game; that the "Oregon Trail" part was the entire "Hamlet" heading to the mountain and setting up camp along the way. Maybe they were going for something like that and feared it would be a compromise that would please no one. The Altar of Hope is also a degree of metaprogression that inches closer to the Hamlet. You can spend candles to give heroes Memories which grant buffs and let the hero carry over to the next chapter. I also strongly suspect they will likely have a DLC that will be Hamlet 2.0 and that many detractors will be crawling back now that they have what they want.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Darkest dungeon 1 is a tactical turn based combatant manager game, whereas darkest dungeon 2 is a turn based roguelite with (relatively speaking, unless you mess up) a party composition element, in my opinion.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just started playing Darkest Dungeon 1, and I'm very much enjoying it so far. I'm on Week 7, and I just recruited a Bloodthirsty Leper with Nymphomania as his positive quirk.

Love it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Been trying a chaplain vestal in rank 2. Its interesting, can't use consecrations and she needs mastery. But its a tricky character for enemies to deal with.

Occultist needs help.

Panfilo posted:

One thing I keep bringing up is that having the game been Darkest Dungeon v2.0 would feel more like an expensive DLC than a sequel. People think that's what they wanted all along, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if that monkey paw finger curled people would be dissatisfied that the unpleasant aspects of DD1 got carried forward. Having the game heavily diverge from the first is definitely a risk but it is a risk I welcome from Red Hook. And in a way, it often reminds me of the Corpse Controversy-in DD1 early access they added corpses which significantly changed battles. People were so married to the metagame without them that they found any divergence to it unacceptable. There was compromise in making it an option you can toggle but by and large most of the detractors forgot about it soon enough.

I'm probably one of the bigger defenders of DD2 here but I'll admit that personally I was hoping for something halfway between the first and last game; that the "Oregon Trail" part was the entire "Hamlet" heading to the mountain and setting up camp along the way. Maybe they were going for something like that and feared it would be a compromise that would please no one. The Altar of Hope is also a degree of metaprogression that inches closer to the Hamlet. You can spend candles to give heroes Memories which grant buffs and let the hero carry over to the next chapter. I also strongly suspect they will likely have a DLC that will be Hamlet 2.0 and that many detractors will be crawling back now that they have what they want.
I think they could've designed the game a million different ways. Most people seem to want what they had before + better graphics. I just want to it be good whether hamlet or oregon trail styled.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Darkest Dungeon 1 is one of my favourite video games of all time. DD2 is not. But if changing the formula means that some other players will enjoy this game as much as I love the first, I'm alright with that. The relationship system is a cool upgrade over DD1 though, and my dream would be a game like DD1 with the DD2 relationship system from a couple months ago. And more varied dialogue.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Oh yeah and I killed a region 1 (technically 2) shambler with an occultist, runaway, rank 2 vestal, and hellion. 3rd act. Its doable. IDK but shambler seems easier in DD2.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

temple posted:

Been trying a chaplain vestal in rank 2. Its interesting, can't use consecrations and she needs mastery. But its a tricky character for enemies to deal with.

Occultist needs help.

I think they could've designed the game a million different ways. Most people seem to want what they had before + better graphics. I just want to it be good whether hamlet or oregon trail styled.

Chaplain is pretty fun. I got a Vestal with Breacher and took Chaplain path and it meshes so well - you start with 2 taunt tokens at the beginning of the fight, and when you get 3 tokens on her she can pop mantra for a self heal+stress heal on her and the person she's guarding, it's like Bolster on steroids.

I do think they need to bring occultist in line with Vestal though. The advantage Vestal has is that her token effects are more granular and she's more consistent in building them up. Occultist gets no immediate benefit from having 3 tokens and can have fights where you are stuck with 1 token and burn procs for zero benefit. He also has 3 skills that only work with 2 power tokens. You have all these skills competing for power tokens

A double stun which sounds beefy on paper but more viable early in the fight where you're less likely to have 2 power at the moment, often a single target nuke is a better option to kill a dangerous target outright.

A pull+stun that feels rather situational because most backliners are fragile enough to not need a stun to deal with them and many tough enemies are more dangerous in front ranks so the only edge case is maybe Ritualist+seeing sphere landing it on a big enemy to stun+combo+debuff them.

An auto crit heal that is still hamstrung by its random nature resulting in lulzy crit heals for 2hp sometimes but still often the best option if you are blinded and have a valid target to heal-if an ally is on deaths door it's certainly better than nothing in the moment.

A single target nuke that feels like the best option in many cases, having it bypass block and leave a combo token is icing on the cake. I use this most of the time.

A debuff that can proc random DoT on hits if it lands, this one is tough to use effectively because again you need it out early in the fight, you need a lot of dot procs to trigger while it's active and you gotta hope it doesn't get resisted.

An aoe+Bleed that is OK and kind of lulzy with Aspirant, ok with some of the better on hit effect trinkets.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yeah, you broke down his moves well.

Occultist has negative economy but no pay-off. The tentacle moves can lose targets to hit. The curses can be resisted. The unchecked power moves require set up and can debuff him. So, he's only good in spite of his drawbacks. If resisted curses gave an uncheck power token and his heal had its threshold raised, he'd be at least serviceable.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1648371278602989569

You already know

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

The Zombie Guy posted:

I just started playing Darkest Dungeon 1, and I'm very much enjoying it so far. I'm on Week 7, and I just recruited a Bloodthirsty Leper with Nymphomania as his positive quirk.

Love it.

Leper owns bones. Buff the hell out of him and he'll one shot almost everything.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The new character is a cool twist blight themed zombie flagellant. Comes with special miniboss that pretty cool looking too. article

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

temple posted:

The new character is a cool twist blight themed zombie flagellant. Comes with special miniboss that pretty cool looking too. article
Can´t wait to see whatever quips that character has if he ever hits "amourous".

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
The flagellant is the one character I wanted to see animated the most. Super stoked for this

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Didn't expect the Flagellant to come back, really love how they evolved his character into zombified freak. Love the new abilities like the Fester move that is basically corpse explosion, healing others, just tanking poo poo and inflicting/absorbing status debuffs. That unique miniboss he has is just hardcore as gently caress, as well.

I still reallllly wish Bounty Hunter wasn't relegated to such a rare hire, though. But, I can appreciate how they put one character as a "super" hero that can only get recruited in the midst of a run; it's a unique, fun enough idea that I still appreciate it. BH was my fave in DD1 though so I'm just salty he's a "limited" pick.

Really curious to try out the new stuff in a fresh run, hopefully with some other tuning done--with the last few patches they had made a few enemies much more obnoxious so I am hoping some of them were balanced out a smidge.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Black Reliquary is mechanically very good. The horny guy has thus far been more restrained than I expected. I know some of the models have been toned way down over the course of development, so I guess somebody's keeping an eye on them. Definitely some exceptions though.

Most of the art is nonhorny and the nonhorn is great. TBH even most of the "okay, bro, where's your other hand" character designs at least have substance and implied story going on. But honestly I'd have a lot less patience for this if the mechanics and general inventiveness weren't so good, and the presence of the occasional hot dude helps too.

I just wish it was possible to talk about this mod without a preamble about tits.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Hows the difficulty and slog? Seems like it might be designed for people who have already fully internalized DD and want a challenge.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's exactly who it's for. As for slog, if you're like me and you refuse to take risks, it's very sloggy, and it'll always be sloggier than radiant mode. ShuffleFM seems to be fighting and beating veteran bosses within a few hours of playing though, so maybe it's much better if you're not a coward and already know everything.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I'm waiting for them to reach a 1.0 so I can go into the files and push down all of the enemy resistances by at least 20%. The story and theming is mostly fun and cool, but the economy is brutal -- think 'running low light antiquarian' in DD1, but without the Bank district to keep you even on cash. Also, they really expect you to be getting diseased constantly. Also also, the "Prep Round" is sort of balanced against the heroes -- enemies will usually use normal attacks and if they swing right, hey, that's a guy on death's door without the ability to properly counterplay (since you can't stun on Prep Round). If more enemies had prep round skills, that would be better. And thirdly, most of the mod classes are unexciting. Veiled is bad, Dredge is kind of a self-hurting Abomination, and Judicator is just fine (a take on Bounty Hunter but interacting with the new Expiation and Amberblight Mark effects). It's a shame, there's a lot of mod classes that'd fit in great, but I guess that disrupts the vision. AND unless you enable the Hexer class, the Vestal is still the only game in town for AOE healing. (And and and even if you do, the Hexer's aoe heal is once per battle and you have to attack at least twice before you're allowed to use it. why)

SPurple should probably tone things down a hair, though. At least it's equal opportunity in the sexualization.

Your Uncle Dracula fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 20, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ragnar34 posted:

Black Reliquary is mechanically very good. The horny guy has thus far been more restrained than I expected. I know some of the models have been toned way down over the course of development, so I guess somebody's keeping an eye on them. Definitely some exceptions though.

Most of the art is nonhorny and the nonhorn is great. TBH even most of the "okay, bro, where's your other hand" character designs at least have substance and implied story going on. But honestly I'd have a lot less patience for this if the mechanics and general inventiveness weren't so good, and the presence of the occasional hot dude helps too.

I just wish it was possible to talk about this mod without a preamble about tits.

Well, if they've managed to bonk that guy into an appropriate horny community service, I might be interested in BR.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

If you've got DD1 and the requisite DLC's, there's no reason not to check out BR. Overall I've been having fun with it, plus I appreciate such a big and well-polished overhaul could come out for this game.

The Cavern's battle theme is one of the best tracks in the entire series (for people who haven't played, this is the music for fighting against an Eldritch Insect Swarm): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACt4U3EapKI

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I cooled on BR after I realized the release on Steam doesn't mean the game is beatable atm. Will revisit once 1.0 comes out for sure though.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1649478456005230592

Finally

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ok maybe a dumb question but

what the hell is the story of dd2?

I don't get what's going on after the ending of 1

(noting I haven't played 2 yet, just checked out some cursory videos while waiting for full release)

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023

victrix posted:

(noting I haven't played 2 yet, just checked out some cursory videos while waiting for full release)

mountain bad

temple
Jul 29, 2006

victrix posted:

By slaying the secret of the darkest dungeon, the heroes unsettled the world. Society is collapsing and the heroes hope to find a solution by confronting what's at the mountain or at least absolution for creating the chaos.

temple fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 24, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

:psyduck:

I thought everything was turbofucked period and this was just some alternate take on the same concept

Anyway, is there some jumbo day 1 patch coming or is it safe to play now in advance and my progress will just carry over to whatever the endgame is?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

victrix posted:

:psyduck:

I thought everything was turbofucked period and this was just some alternate take on the same concept

Anyway, is there some jumbo day 1 patch coming or is it safe to play now in advance and my progress will just carry over to whatever the endgame is?
Each act is named after some kind of flaw and there's the signature animation that signs the "confession" in latin. Reus Captivus or guilty prisoner

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

temple posted:

By slaying the secret of the darkest dungeon, the heroes unsettled the world. Society is collapsing and the heroes hope to find a solution by confronting what's at the mountain or at least absolution for creating the chaos.

Specifically, the person you're playing as was a friend/ally/colleague of the Ancestor from the first game it seems, who joined in his studies but separated later on.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That's the Academic. You're just his friend.

And it's not clear that killing the thing at the bottom of the Darkest Dungeon is directly linked to all this. "The predictions were all true." This would have happened one way or the other.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm only half joking when I say that I thought it was all a metaphor for trauma. I haven't really played since EA started though, I haven't seen past Act 1 yet.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm only half joking when I say that I thought it was all a metaphor for trauma. I haven't really played since EA started though, I haven't seen past Act 1 yet.

Yeah, my cannon is the road is just metaphor for the descent into madness of your crew in the immediate aftermath of DD1’s ending.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

I'm pretty sure there's going to be a big patch and at the very least, a new character. I may have misread but I think they're in the middle of reworking the character classes. Most of the patches in early access make you restart your run but save your overall progress.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq53pdxY-0U

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This releases on Steam in 20 minutes. Cool!

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I haven’t followed the EA saga really, other than eyeballing a couple streams when it first came out there. I bounced off the first game because of the length/grind of it, but this seems far more up my street. Have they mentioned any console release plans down the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

25% discount for DD1 owners on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/31810/Darkest_Dungeon_The_Iron_Crown/

for reference: I bought DD2 on EGS for $17 with a $10 coupon when early access launched in 2021 so I'm gonna wait for a sale. There's a one time EGS -> Steam save file transfer apparently according to their discord

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 8, 2023