Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Cthulu Carl posted:

Are those samurai from Smol Miniatures? I've been thinking about getting some.

Yep! Pretty impressive set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

Yep! Pretty impressive set.

Well then. That's not gonna help my backlog...

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Count Thrashula posted:

That's awesome. What rules? Saga?
Yep Saga, sorry

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

alg posted:

Took my Britons out for a test drive against Anglo-Saxons tonight. It was a close game but didn't go well because Britons aren't exactly well suited to attack

Great looking game!

Reminds me, I need to paint more of my own Romano-Britons

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

For British and French Napoleonic 1/2400 ships is there anything I can do to identify them by colours apart from their flags?

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Speaking of ships, I'm a massive Age of Sail nerd and a life-long wargamer. Now that I am reaching that age where fantasy men and guys in space suits with guns don't excite me as much anymore, I want to ask the collective knowledge base:

What are some Age of Sail games that don't suck?

I adored the old PIRATES! constructible strategy game as a kid. A booster pack got you two cardboard ships, stat cards, and basic rules to bounce them off each other. I'm looking for a similar "anything goes" kind of historical battles-ish ruleset but with a lot more crunch, maybe some unique activation gimmick.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I very recently got into this and enjoyed Black Seas. It's starter set gives you two 'fleets,' a full rulebook, playmat, tokens and even some card terrain. The rules themselves are pretty simple and my non wargamer inlaw had a blast ramming his frigate into mine. If you want something even more streamlined but capable of simulating larger engagements there's Fighting Sail, an Osprey blue book. People also seem to like Fire As She Bears but I found it to be too much book keeping.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Paranoid Dude posted:

How "Old School" are you willing to go?

There's an excellent game called Heart of Oak that came out in the late 70s/early 80s:

It's very straightforward and fun; it can handle games from frigate skirmishes to big battles like Nile or Trafalgar.

It was also the combat system for an rpg named Privateers and Gentlemen which is THE system for an Aubrey/Maturin rpg, and is somehow still in print: Amazon link. This book is a reprint that contains the Heart of Oak ship-to-ship combat rules and the rpg rules.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I’m planning on trying the Fighting Sail rules since they don’t require any book keeping- I’ll let you know!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Southern Heel posted:

For British and French Napoleonic 1/2400 ships is there anything I can do to identify them by colours apart from their flags?

Depending how historical and when you want to make them, it seems like the best course is for British to be in black and yellow Nelson Chequer, and for the French to be black with red sides

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cessna posted:

There's an excellent game called Heart of Oak that came out in the late 70s/early 80s:

It's very straightforward and fun; it can handle games from frigate skirmishes to big battles like Nile or Trafalgar.

It was also the combat system for an rpg named Privateers and Gentlemen which is THE system for an Aubrey/Maturin rpg, and is somehow still in print: Amazon link. This book is a reprint that contains the Heart of Oak ship-to-ship combat rules and the rpg rules.
The author of that system might be better known as cyberpunk SF author Walter Jon Williams.

edit: vvv Oooh, read by Bronson Pinchot!

FMguru fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 4, 2023

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

FMguru posted:

The author of that system might be better known as cyberpunk SF author Walter Jon Williams.

Yep, same guy.

He also wrote a series of five novels set in the Age of Sail:

gently caress, now I want to run an Age of Sail rpg.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

NTRabbit posted:

Depending how historical and when you want to make them, it seems like the best course is for British to be in black and yellow Nelson Chequer, and for the French to be black with red sides

Just saw a discussion on this and well, basically historically there are now ”navy colour” and all navies had variation, with all of them having the same colours (various yellows or yellows with black streaks) being common. Just something to be aware of.

E: for example, at the Battle of the Nile, three french ships of the line were red while nine were yellow, as well as the frigates. Two british ships were red and 13 were yellow of various kinds, with just a few more than half with some kind of stripes.

Paranoid Dude posted:

Speaking of ships, I'm a massive Age of Sail nerd and a life-long wargamer. Now that I am reaching that age where fantasy men and guys in space suits with guns don't excite me as much anymore, I want to ask the collective knowledge base:

I adored the old PIRATES! constructible strategy game as a kid. A booster pack got you two cardboard ships, stat cards, and basic rules to bounce them off each other. I'm looking for a similar "anything goes" kind of historical battles-ish ruleset but with a lot more crunch, maybe some unique activation gimmick.

If you can find a copy somehow (it’s been out of print forever), I had fun with Warhammer Historicals Trafalgar. Very un-groggy.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 4, 2023

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

lilljonas posted:

Just saw a discussion on this and well, basically historically there are now ”navy colour” and all navies had variation, with all of them having the same colours (various yellows or yellows with black streaks) being common. Just something to be aware of.

If you're just out to play a game you can get cheap miniature board game pieces from Amazon that you can use until you paint real wargame models.

Like so:

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Cessna posted:

Oooh, this one and Black Seas are the ones that I think are speaking most to me. I've been itching for an Age of Sail RPG since my 7 Fathoms Savage World campaign imploded!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If I have the Saga battleboards, is there any reason I need the special dice? I'm assuming I could just map a regular d6 to the same results and save some money.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Count Thrashula posted:

If I have the Saga battleboards, is there any reason I need the special dice? I'm assuming I could just map a regular d6 to the same results and save some money.

You could but its not very fun and kinda annoying honestly

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah long run it's kinda annoying to remember but if you're just getting started on a budget it's doable

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Paranoid Dude posted:

Oooh, this one and Black Seas are the ones that I think are speaking most to me. I've been itching for an Age of Sail RPG since my 7 Fathoms Savage World campaign imploded!

It's <$20 on Amazon for a reprint.

The rpg itself is very "old school;" it's from the 80s and reads like any other FGU game from that era (i.e., like a textbook). But there's a really good game in there, and the setting is just so cool if you're into Patrick O'Brian or other boat-novels.

Personally I dream of combining that game with Colonial Gothic/Flames of Freedom and doing something involving the early American Revolution and sea-horror stuff like the old D&D Saltmarsh adventures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also buy wooden cubes at any craft store and draw the pictures on. (Or use modpodge to paste printouts if you want them to look nice.)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Count Thrashula posted:

Or just remember which symbol is common (1-3), uncommon (4,5) and rare (6). I find the special dice to be a theoretically nifty idea that becomes an unnecessary money sink if you start out in several periods at once.

No, I didn’t enjoy spending 45 quid on dice after also waiting for a while because they are always out of stock.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When I was playing I was always using a friend's battleboards because army building is always "bring some multiple of four dudes". He had just gotten some labels and put the D6 value over everything on all the boards so we could all skip using the fancy dice entirely.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, considering the base rulebook plus a single era is like $80 all told, I can't justify another $30 in dice before even getting to models. They do look cool though!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It would be less annoying if they were interchangeable between armies like in Bolt Action but the fact that there's like six different combinations of little icons depending on what army / era you're using. It could of just been different stylizations of I dunno bird / sword / shield whatever but hey Studio Tomahawk get that money.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Cessna posted:

Yep, same guy.

He also wrote a series of five novels set in the Age of Sail:

gently caress, now I want to run an Age of Sail rpg.

Are the books any good? I mean I'm not expecting Patrick O'Brian come again, but are they readable?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Genghis Cohen posted:

Are the books any good? I mean I'm not expecting Patrick O'Brian come again, but are they readable?

I only read the first and that was long, long ago, but it was decent. About the same level as Hornblower, not S- tier like Aubrey/Maturin.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

It would be less annoying if they were interchangeable between armies like in Bolt Action but the fact that there's like six different combinations of little icons depending on what army / era you're using. It could of just been different stylizations of I dunno bird / sword / shield whatever but hey Studio Tomahawk get that money.

Yeah the amount of add ins needed for saga is really annoying. I think they realized how absurd they were getting because the two most recent books, Hannibal and Alexander only use like four different types of dice across the two of em.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I don't think Invasions adds any new dice, and the only extra you'd need is the elephant dice for the Sassanids (also used for Carthage, Persia and India). I did end up getting measuring sticks but a ruler works fine too

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
My friend made his own measuring sticks with some cheap balsa wood and a bit of time. It didn't matter if they weren't perfect since we both used the same ones.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I thought that Saga dice were all the same distribution of symbols and such Three level one, two level two and a single level three, are they not?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Paranoid Dude posted:

I adored the old PIRATES! constructible strategy game as a kid. A booster pack got you two cardboard ships, stat cards, and basic rules to bounce them off each other.

Same, but in college. I almost ordered a box of like 50? packs from a wholesaler a month into covid to play with my kids but ended up getting back into flames of war instead. Dropped a few hunned getting a bunch of new armies before just buying a couple 3d printers to make even more armies.

I don't even play against anybody. Sometimes I'll play a solo game but usually it's just make lists and paint mans. Probably should have stuck to pirates and saved all that time, space, and money lol.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

lilljonas posted:

E: for example, at the Battle of the Nile, three french ships of the line were red while nine were yellow, as well as the frigates. Two british ships were red and 13 were yellow of various kinds, with just a few more than half with some kind of stripes.

If you can find a copy somehow (it’s been out of print forever), I had fun with Warhammer Historicals Trafalgar. Very un-groggy.

Looks like you and I read the same thing, but I figure for painting a fleet of minis as identifiable "sides" British yellow and black check vs French red and black is easily distinguishable and at least has a little basis in history.

quote:

Some examples of ships at The Battle of the Nile 1798 taken from a data sheet provided by Davco miniatures:

British ships

HMS Alexander: Plain yellow sides with a black stroke

HMS Goliath: Yellow sides with a black stroke between upper and lower rows of gun ports

HMS Culloden: Yellow sides with two narrow black strokes between upper and lower gun ports

HMS Zealous: Red sides with a narrow yellow stripe

HMS Minotaur: Red sides with a black stroke between upper and lower gun ports

French ships

Le Guerrier: Dark yellow sides

L’ Aquilon: Red sides with a black stroke between the upper and lower gun ports

Le Franklin: Medium yellow sides

Le Heureux: Very dark yellow sides

Le Timoleon: Very dark red sides

Le Guillaume: Light yellow sides with black stroke between upper and lower decks

Some examples of ships at The Battle of Trafalgar 1805 taken from a data sheet provided by GHQ and other sources:

All of the British ships were painted in the "Nelson Checker" of alternating black and yellow stripes and black gun ports. To further distinguish the British ships from the French/Spanish ships, the British painted their masts yellow instead of having the normal varnished wood. Yards and mast tops were still black. There was no standard color scheme among the French and Spanish ships. The French ship Neptune for example had reddish-yellow stripes on a black hull while the Intrepide might have had bright red stripes Others had red or yellow stripes of various shades. Some Spanish ships such as the San Justo and Santa Anna were painted almost all black and the Spanish Santissima Trinidad, a four deck ship-of-the-line, had a deep red hull and a narrow band of white under each of the four rows of gun ports. Other sources suggest that the S. Trinidad was painted red with white stripes, and another description gives it red stripes edged white on black, and yet, one other reference suggests that the ship was actually white, with red stripes!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Very informative, thank you - the ships are 1/2400 so around an inch long - I'm quite happy with british having ochre sides and french red, both with a stripe down the middle. All of the gunports (if cast) are open so the chequerboard patter may be somewhat lost in the mix. Tumbling Dice have excellent service, - I've already reiceved my two high seas fleet packs and my russo-japanese pre-Dreadnoughts - so just a matter of getting them painted up!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cassa posted:

I thought that Saga dice were all the same distribution of symbols and such Three level one, two level two and a single level three, are they not?

Yeah they are, having the "correct" dice only matters for being a little more intuitive

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i feel like this has come up before but has anyone picked up and printed any of henry turners stls? he has a 6-15 mm medieval kickstarter going right now that looks neat

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i feel like this has come up before but has anyone picked up and printed any of henry turners stls? he has a 6-15 mm medieval kickstarter going right now that looks neat

Big fan of his stuff - I'm in a Discord with him and he puts a ton of research into periods before making his STLs. Here's some of his Pike and Shot scaled up to 15mm

And here's some of his Napoleonics both at 6mm and scaled up to 15mm.

And I printed out a couple test models from his medieval range, they came out beautifully. I'm excited for that to release.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Jesus Christ - joy of wargaming wasnt exaggerating when he said that tumbling dice napoleonic ships were a bit of a pig to add sails to!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

Big fan of his stuff - I'm in a Discord with him and he puts a ton of research into periods before making his STLs. Here's some of his Pike and Shot scaled up to 15mm

And here's some of his Napoleonics both at 6mm and scaled up to 15mm.

And I printed out a couple test models from his medieval range, they came out beautifully. I'm excited for that to release.

very cool. they look great, and well painted. was thinking about the pike and shot range as well, so doubly thanks for those pics

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah Henry is a cool dude, I've got some of his Napoleonics in 15mm as well. My only complaint is the horse poses can look a little static, a lot less dynamic than something from a white metal manufacturer. I think this suffers from them being his earliest line of models and that they are natively 6mm in scale. I've since picked up some of his most recent 15mm Cold War range and they are a lot more dynamic and well proportioned. His sailing ships are also baller as hell and he has a really good rewards tier on his Patreon where for $20 a month you can pick $40 worth of existing models on top of what he releases that month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I had the chance to run three demos of What a Cowboy at my old LGS last week.

The backstory for the game is that the Red Springs Gang successfully robbed the local Territorial Bank and Trust, and buried the loot to let the heat die down before they try to spend it. In the weeks since, there's been some differences in opinion, and now the gang has split in two, with both groups trying to dig up the loot and run for it before the others can grab it for themselves.

Overall I found the system to be very straightforward to learn and teach. The dice pools were very straightforward to understand and figure out what you can and can't do, and people grasped them very easily. Shooting is very swingy, but in a fun way. In my third game my final outlaw had grabbed the treasure and was running like hell for the board edge, while my opponent dumped every bullet he had into trying to shoot him down off of his last action dice. A crucial round of missed shooting led to his successful escape with the treasure, despite the rest of his boys being gunned down.

The only thing I want more practice on getting my head around is when to use Bonanza tokens, remembering/keeping track of the Desperado Cards, and the melee combat rules. The rules were a hit with my old group, though, and they're already looking into digging up cowboy STLs or finding old Reaper Bones cowboy models.