Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I honestly prefer the 9. You do such unreasonable damage to hordes. It also has healed me to full off the level 25 talent proc more than once due to its insane attack speed and cleave.

Having tested it in the Psykanium before the light attack pattern of the 7 and 9 are the exact same except the diagonal swipes are inverted. Mk7 it's top to bottom and the mk9 is bottom to top.

The main difference seems to be Heavy attacks, the mk9's first attack is an overhead vertical strike, where as the 7's is a diagonal swipe and its heavies have better cleave distribution.

I think I might end up liking the 9 more because the overhead will be great for bruisers and ragers. Looking forward to testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Yes, the only time I ever heavy with the 9 is when I’m charging an elite that has to die, and that forced crit on the downslash heavy that almost always weak spot hits is enough to oneshot pretty much anything but a mutant, an Ogryn, or a Mauler.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does that charge-up lasgun just punch holes right through Ogryns with the right blessings? It looked like someone was really doing work with it tonight.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Does that charge-up lasgun just punch holes right through Ogryns with the right blessings? It looked like someone was really doing work with it tonight.

The mark 3 especially does so.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Evil Kit posted:

Having tested it in the Psykanium before the light attack pattern of the 7 and 9 are the exact same except the diagonal swipes are inverted. Mk7 it's top to bottom and the mk9 is bottom to top.

The main difference seems to be Heavy attacks, the mk9's first attack is an overhead vertical strike, where as the 7's is a diagonal swipe and its heavies have better cleave distribution.

I think I might end up liking the 9 more because the overhead will be great for bruisers and ragers. Looking forward to testing.
So the heavy sword's best quality is its vanguard-type light attack, which deals good damage thanks to headtaker while having very low damage drop-off: with headtaker 3 mine still does 110 damage to the 11th pox walker hit, while most weapons struggle to get 50 against the 4th.

If you inspect both swords' movesets with the in-game stat-screen you can see that the Mk9 has vanguard on all four light attacks and thus deals full damage to hordes always. Meanwhile the Mk7 (and 6) swap in two relentless type attacks which makes them quite a bit slower at clearing out hordes, and because of that I think the Mk9 is the standout amongst the three.

The Mk6 and 7 do have better anti-armor heavies than the Mk9 though, but since the last buff the heavy sword's special attack can deal quite well with armor anyways, so you can just do Special -> Heavy overhead -> Repeat or vice-versa for you armor-piercing needs.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Exodee posted:

So the heavy sword's best quality is its vanguard-type light attack, which deals good damage thanks to headtaker while having very low damage drop-off: with headtaker 3 mine still does 110 damage to the 11th pox walker hit, while most weapons struggle to get 50 against the 4th.

If you inspect both swords' movesets with the in-game stat-screen you can see that the Mk9 has vanguard on all four light attacks and thus deals full damage to hordes always. Meanwhile the Mk7 (and 6) swap in two relentless type attacks which makes them quite a bit slower at clearing out hordes, and because of that I think the Mk9 is the standout amongst the three.

The Mk6 and 7 do have better anti-armor heavies than the Mk9 though, but since the last buff the heavy sword's special attack can deal quite well with armor anyways, so you can just do Special -> Heavy overhead -> Repeat or vice-versa for you armor-piercing needs.

I appreciate this post! I'm very, very familiar with the mk7 having used it for a very long time alongside the TH so I look forward to seeing the mk9 be more effective if that's the case. Wish the Psykanium had denser crowds of poxwalkers and groaners.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

masterpine posted:

Getting a decent Shredder Autopistol on my Veteran made things fun again. Kantrael is quite stale gameplay. Playing with an Autopistol tearing rear end around the map with Pinning Fire+Cavalcade/Blazing is freeing and just... annihilates everything. God drat it's fun. Have no problem doing Heresy/Damnation with pubs. Camo, Deadshot and Counterfire for feats.

I have a 380 shredder on my zealot and I love it. It seems remarkably good at ripping apart dogs and ragers.

edit: Wow, High-Intensity Shock Troop Gauntlet is insane. That was fun.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 8, 2023

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Evil Kit posted:

I appreciate this post! I'm very, very familiar with the mk7 having used it for a very long time alongside the TH so I look forward to seeing the mk9 be more effective if that's the case. Wish the Psykanium had denser crowds of poxwalkers and groaners.
You're welcome :) And yeah I had to use the psykhanium spawner mod to test this, but those extra vanguard strikes make quite the difference when it comes to blending up hordes. I think with that sword of yours you can even opt to drop Rising Conviction since you should easily be able to clear melee breakpoints anyway, making Emperor's Executioner a free pick.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there a mod that will let me universally disable chat, or start with everyone blocked in chat, or anything like that?

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Just had a Damnation game with 3 braced gun veterans that were all responsive and perfectly competent until the boss. They then desperately mag dumped into his shield while retreating into 3 separate corners.

This is the games fault if you're not taught how to play by Damnation really. I wonder what they'd been doing to get by previously.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I want to like the Agripinaa shotgun but it just doesn't do enough damage to gunners unless I slowly load the slug every single time, does anyone know if it hits damnation breakpoints if I get 25% unarmored/flak for gunner killin?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Senethro posted:

This is the games fault if you're not taught how to play by Damnation really. I wonder what they'd been doing to get by previously.

Its possible, even on damnation, to sometimes have 1 or 2 really strong players basically solo a boss. As long as its the right class (ogryn/zealot prolly) you can handle all the aggression the boss sends at you. The people who don't know how to play the scenario usually do alright keeping the minor enemies and elite spawns controlled in those kinds of situations. I had a game the other day where myself (zealot) and a psyker kept all the adds off, while our other zealot solo'd the boss with a Thunderhammer. We had a 4th vet player who was doing jack poo poo the entire time and I think died randomly. It was the easiest boss of our life because no one was ever under any pressure. Conversely you get a boss where your teammates seem to have never fought one before? Or they thought they were doing something because on lower difficulties they had a teammate doing all the work and made it feel like their pathetic lasgunning into the shield was doing damage??? I dunno.

I am finding that damnation is becoming less and less "all good, hardcore players" as former heresy only people are making the jump probably for the resources. Way more failures due to people just being absolutely stupid. The new dogs event can really gently caress you and I've lost sooooooooooooo many missions the past week because multiple teammates ignore the ping to fall back to a choke and run around in the open and get dogged while the director throws a horde call at us.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah it's really weird, early on during the dog event everyone I ever got grouped knew to huddle together the instant we hear the howl, now I've had so many wipes to people pushing forward into a mini-horde of ambient enemies separate from the team and me and the only other none-dogged person has to defend against everything by ourselves.

And once you go down during a dog swarm you aren't getting back up until it's over because of all the knockback and cancels.

Just a lot more people going down a mile away from the team behind a corner I've noticed.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I want to like the Agripinaa shotgun but it just doesn't do enough damage to gunners unless I slowly load the slug every single time, does anyone know if it hits damnation breakpoints if I get 25% unarmored/flak for gunner killin?

The drop off on the Agripinaa shotgun happens fast starting at 15m so what you want to do is be in the pocket closer than that - under that range you'll do 400-600 damage on head shot to flak and maniac and unarmored with no specific bonuses and without volley fire up and past that it'll drop to 250-400 where you'll need Volley Fire up to one shot - the 20-25% bonus to flak or unarmored will help a little bit but it's better to chase reload speed or crit chance IMO

Body shots are fickle and will eat your ammo, if you don't have a clean weak spot hit then load the slug

Dreg shooters have 400 HP unarmored and Scab shooters have 300 HP flak armored so they both get weak shotted good under 15m

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Game needs to outright tell you that the shield needs to be hit in melee and that ranged/psy damage does poo poo to it outright, that or just make the shield outright reflect bullets so people realize not to waste ammo shooting it at this point. Had a game of 4 psykers, with me the only person getting into melee w the rest impotently trying to burst the boss while the mob kills everyone.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is it the case that difficulty 2-4 is the same mechanically and only differs in terms of what they throw at you?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is it the case that difficulty 2-4 is the same mechanically and only differs in terms of what they throw at you?

Difficulty 1 and 2 are a joke, Difficulty 3(Malice) is where you can start losing as the number of enemies and your damage in and out start increasing. You can still cowboy it up though. Difficulty 4 (Heresy) requires actively using good game play strategies to win, but is still easy enough that a good player can effectively carry. The difference between those and difficulty 5 is that there are way more enemies, they deal the most damage and take the least damage, and the AI director will actively gently caress you up with no hesitation. Heresy Hi Intensity can be as crazy, but you're still dealing more damage and taking less damage than a 5 difficulty run. I think just the overall lethality of a Damnation game can be hard for people jumping from Heresy to grasp. gently caress ups are way worse on 5's.

I think part of the phenomenon is just that it is easier to get solo carried by a good player on 4 or less which lets scrubby type players think they can handle the difficulty where they do need to pull some weight.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 8, 2023

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

They should have made voice lines of your teammates yelling at you to stop shooting the shield, like vermintide did with using light attacks on armored enemies.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MuffinsAndPie posted:

They should have made voice lines of your teammates yelling at you to stop shooting the shield, like vermintide did with using light attacks on armored enemies.

They have and they do :)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm trying to find out if enemies take and deal the same damage across difficulties two, three, and four, because if they do the experience I'm having with my weapons will carry over from three to four. I tried googling it and just got articles with vague overviews like "difficulty three is a bit harder than two, try it at level 15". No poo poo, random article, thanks.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Enemies do require more damage dealt the higher up you go in difficulty. I don't know if there is a website that shows those exact numbers in an easy format, there is that breakpoint calculator website but I can't even get it to work. You can go into the psykanium (sp) and select the different difficulty levels and see the HP pools and damage numbers for anything you like (well that you own to equip).

edit: enemies also do more damage at higher levels but I don't know a good way to figure out those numbers

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm trying to find out if enemies take and deal the same damage across difficulties two, three, and four, because if they do the experience I'm having with my weapons will carry over from three to four. I tried googling it and just got articles with vague overviews like "difficulty three is a bit harder than two, try it at level 15". No poo poo, random article, thanks.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2894619510

Enemies on difficulty 4 have 50% more HP than they do on difficulty 3.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Exodee posted:

You're welcome :) And yeah I had to use the psykhanium spawner mod to test this, but those extra vanguard strikes make quite the difference when it comes to blending up hordes. I think with that sword of yours you can even opt to drop Rising Conviction since you should easily be able to clear melee breakpoints anyway, making Emperor's Executioner a free pick.

Unfortunately I have this terrible addiction called Holy Rev and frankly I've found a lot of success running the 6 stacks martyrdom feat after the buffs. You basically break even at 3 stacks now and get nasty damage at max, whether or not you're in your cheat death.

Testing in the Psykanium shows I can hit a lot of breakpoints already with just Headtaker 4 on chunkier targets, would be surprised if I can one combo ragers with 3 martyr stacks.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The only time I ever feel bad taking holy rev is when a whole squad of gunners open up and proc the passive while keeping me knocked back a inch out of melee range like I'm playing demoknight against a sentry nest in TF2 again.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Owl Inspector posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2894619510

Enemies on difficulty 4 have 50% more HP than they do on difficulty 3.

Oh that's exactly the kind of breakdown I craved, thank you.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Stanley Pain posted:

They have and they do :)

I more meant on the assassination mission boss' energy shield. The whole interaction with it is pretty vague like the posters up top were saying.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah and it's hard for people to notice how much they damaged the boss bar when 4 people are whacking it, they see their big shot go off at the same time as a thunderhammer and think oh boy I really unloaded on that guy.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Jack B Nimble posted:

Oh that's exactly the kind of breakdown I craved, thank you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DarkTide/comments/10f40uz/all_enemy_attacks_damage_values_healthtoughness/

This link also has the breakdowns by difficulty and by enemy of exactly how much damage they do

Most enemies use a scaling where difficulty 4 is double the damage of difficulty 2 and difficulty 5 is double the damage of difficulty 3 and 33% more than 4

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I more meant on the assassination mission boss' energy shield. The whole interaction with it is pretty vague like the posters up top were saying.

Tbf I'm okay with a Plasma vet firing at the shield, it does genuinely respectable DPS to the shield, especially with heat vent changes you can really lay into the boss till the shield is down and you can pop Volley for a charged headshot.

Anything else is a waste though, agreed on that.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The other issue with the boss I run into is his gun. If nobody is meleeing him he pulls it out and starts ripping huge chunks out of people’s health. His melee attacks feel weighty and dangerous while his gun animation and sound are relatively insubstantial, so people tend to think he’s much more dangerous in melee than at range, which is the opposite of the truth.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Guns are scarier then melee, this game isn't vermintide where you can kite everything.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The other issue with the boss I run into is his gun. If nobody is meleeing him he pulls it out and starts ripping huge chunks out of people’s health. His melee attacks feel weighty and dangerous while his gun animation and sound are relatively insubstantial, so people tend to think he’s much more dangerous in melee than at range, which is the opposite of the truth.

Maybe it's just the new players who aren't conditioned to be loving terrified of the sound of a shotgun firing. The plasma gun guy defs need a bit more oomph in the sound to make it sound threatening though, agreed on that.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I really think they should have made a tutorial for him in the Psykanium. He's got a bunch of interactions that just aren't obvious enough for most players.
- Void Shield wants you to melee it. (Which isn't communicated at all by Fatshark. I had to learn this through other players)
- He can pick targets based on something besides aggro and I've got no clue what it is.
- If he's got you targetted with the shotgun, you need to close in on him to get him back into melee.
- He does that aoe explosion that wipes out your toughness at 50% shield.
- He's got an enraged mode at lower health.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The boss seems to also do the explosion when the shield is almost up which is why you should always have a medipack down around where everyone is dogpiling him to just heal up the damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If a bunch of specials and elites don't mix in with the first horde against the boss and if everyone has their back against the wall so they don't go flying during the knockbacks you can clown on the boss in under half a minute just cleaving the boss and the zombo's with a medkit to tank hits to health.

Also you can knock the prison boss off the map if you got some Ogyn's.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Minor note that difficulty 1 and 2 may be jokes but i have wiped in two more than anything else because somehow the level of skill in pubbies loving CRATERS in those.

3 is legitimately easier because the team will mostly stay cohesive.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I find that a good player with good gear can carry anything level 3 or below - I’ve completed a 2 with 3 bots (mostly to prove to myself that I could). That’s because a lot of high level play in this game is about avoiding damage and when you’re good at blocking, dodging and using cover you can really minimize damage taken. At level 4 the director can actually kill you if your teammates aren’t keeping up with their share of enemies, though.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Dodging in this game is so good I barely ever block compared to Vermintide (especially V1.) I'm not saying nerf it, but if they could give me a reason to block a little more, that might be nice.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Dodging in this game is so good I barely ever block compared to Vermintide (especially V1.) I'm not saying nerf it, but if they could give me a reason to block a little more, that might be nice.

Yeah I noticed that looking at the scoreboard mod, I'll have single digit blocks, if that, also rebound dodge-only to spacebar and put jump on V, feels heretical at first but if you -ever- have a issue of jumping when trying to dodge it's worth doing.

Blocks are just too risky when you are dancing around a hundred enemies and running out of endurance means you get stunlocked to death, though Psyker and force swords with deflector and +3 endurance curio I've found to be very strong.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

.Z. posted:

I really think they should have made a tutorial for him in the Psykanium. He's got a bunch of interactions that just aren't obvious enough for most players.
- Void Shield wants you to melee it. (Which isn't communicated at all by Fatshark. I had to learn this through other players)
- He can pick targets based on something besides aggro and I've got no clue what it is.
- If he's got you targetted with the shotgun, you need to close in on him to get him back into melee.
- He does that aoe explosion that wipes out your toughness at 50% shield.
- He's got an enraged mode at lower health.

The aggro is based on who's furthest back hitting him with range I think.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I find that a good player with good gear can carry anything level 3 or below - I’ve completed a 2 with 3 bots (mostly to prove to myself that I could). That’s because a lot of high level play in this game is about avoiding damage and when you’re good at blocking, dodging and using cover you can really minimize damage taken. At level 4 the director can actually kill you if your teammates aren’t keeping up with their share of enemies, though.

Really good players can just about solo their way out of any difficulty to avoid a wipe, etc.