Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It feels like you come across stuff very frequently when wandering around in this. It seems like I rarely go 5-10 minutes without coming across a cave or sky rock (more often the former than the latter).

Sky stuff also never gets old and makes traveling around very easy. I was trying to make my way to one of the towers and, on the way, came across a sky rock. It doesn't seem to actually send me anywhere (I'm not sure if I got to it too late, or if it's only purpose was to send you up high), but it allowed me to easily glide to the sky tower (when previously I was having to navigate climbing a mountain with my single stamina wheel). Given its proximity to the tower, I wonder if its only purpose was to make getting to it easier (since the tower itself shot me up where I could access the stuff above the rock).

I really need to find Hestu, because I'm having to toss out weapons that I'd rather keep pretty frequently, just due to finding better stuff.

edit: I don't like those rock worm things, though. I think I'm dealing with them correctly - shoot a bomb arrow as soon as the boulder leaves their mouth, which (usually?) makes them expose their core thing, and shooting that then gives you a bit where you can run up and hit them in melee. But I've died a few times just due to the explosion radius on the bomb arrows being so large that I mistakenly kill myself. I'm not so flush on bomb arrows that I feel comfortable using them unless absolutely necessary, and I'm not sure if the resources the rock worm gave were worth the expense of 2+ bomb arrows. On the upside I'm assuming/hoping they don't respawn, since they gave me a chest when killed.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

How do you make an axe. I can make the rock club thing but I think I've only used axes I've found.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Wiltsghost posted:

How do you make an axe. I can make the rock club thing but I think I've only used axes I've found.

There's some different shaped rocks that are used for axes. It can be hard to spot the difference. Boss Bokoblin horns also make axe-type weapons.

Ytlaya posted:

It feels like you come across stuff very frequently when wandering around in this. It seems like I rarely go 5-10 minutes without coming across a cave or sky rock (more often the former than the latter).

Sky stuff also never gets old and makes traveling around very easy. I was trying to make my way to one of the towers and, on the way, came across a sky rock. It doesn't seem to actually send me anywhere (I'm not sure if I got to it too late, or if it's only purpose was to send you up high), but it allowed me to easily glide to the sky tower (when previously I was having to navigate climbing a mountain with my single stamina wheel). Given its proximity to the tower, I wonder if its only purpose was to make getting to it easier (since the tower itself shot me up where I could access the stuff above the rock).

I really need to find Hestu, because I'm having to toss out weapons that I'd rather keep pretty frequently, just due to finding better stuff.

edit: I don't like those rock worm things, though. I think I'm dealing with them correctly - shoot a bomb arrow as soon as the boulder leaves their mouth, which (usually?) makes them expose their core thing, and shooting that then gives you a bit where you can run up and hit them in melee. But I've died a few times just due to the explosion radius on the bomb arrows being so large that I mistakenly kill myself. I'm not so flush on bomb arrows that I feel comfortable using them unless absolutely necessary, and I'm not sure if the resources the rock worm gave were worth the expense of 2+ bomb arrows. On the upside I'm assuming/hoping they don't respawn, since they gave me a chest when killed.

You really don't need to be spending bomb arrows on them, after they finish a cycle of throwing boulders they reveal their core anyways. Or you can time a recall to slam their rocks back into their faces to get it done quicker.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wiltsghost posted:

there's a difference between "rocks" and "stones", rocks make hammers and stones make axes. the latter's usually a bit flatter and more triangular

i feel like i run into way more rocks but i guess it's because swords do "good enough" for anything an axe is required for, but swords/spears do literally nothing for anything that needs a hammer

Ytlaya posted:

edit: I don't like those rock worm things, though. I think I'm dealing with them correctly - shoot a bomb arrow as soon as the boulder leaves their mouth, which (usually?) makes them expose their core thing, and shooting that then gives you a bit where you can run up and hit them in melee.

On the upside I'm assuming/hoping they don't respawn, since they gave me a chest when killed.

the bad news is they respawn, the good news is you're dealing with them incorrectly, sort of-- just shoot their main body with a bomb arrow and they'll lose their rock armor and turn into a normal like like

e: or that ^

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The quests to truck around the music troupe are so fun. I love that whole crew. I hope there are some longer haul quests, so far everything has been pretty short and I've also never got to haul any large cargo. I've done it myself once to haul a Korok and because I already had the tackle on, but I'd love to haul something or someone from one end of the map to another with a horse drawn vehicle.

I wonder if the game just doesn't allow that kind of thing, tracking too much too far? Then again, gliders are the only thing I've seen despawn either after a set time or distance from launch. So maybe there are and I just haven't found em yet.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

The quests to truck around the music troupe are so fun. I love that whole crew. I hope there are some longer haul quests, so far everything has been pretty short and I've also never got to haul any large cargo. I've done it myself once to haul a Korok and because I already had the tackle on, but I'd love to haul something or someone from one end of the map to another with a horse drawn vehicle.

I wonder if the game just doesn't allow that kind of thing, tracking too much too far? Then again, gliders are the only thing I've seen despawn either after a set time or distance from launch. So maybe there are and I just haven't found em yet.

The first lurelin quest after you drive the pirates out involves like "hauling 20 logs", which explicitly appears to not be "bring me 20 bundles of sticks" from BotW, so you may well get your wish there

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The big sky platforms despawn after a while too.

Met an NPC last night who told me how many caves there are in total. It’s like 58 or something

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been meandering aimlessly, still only on 4 hearts, and have gotten to the oasis in the desert. The enemies are almost 1-shotting me, which makes me think maybe I should've gone somewhere else first.

Also I just keep on encountering more and more side-quests, little environmental minigames with the koroks and the sign man, caves and poo poo to explore, just all sorts of crap. The game is so ridiculously huge it's a bit overwhelming.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The whole Stable Trotters storyline owned a lot this game rules so much

Stirdog
Oct 11, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

The big sky platforms despawn after a while too.

Met an NPC last night who told me how many caves there are in total. It’s like 58 or something

There are 58 wells, and what feels like 3-4x as many caves. The game easily has 6x the content of BOTW with caves, wells, sky islands, and the depths just bolted on top of what BOTW was.

The side quests are so much better too imo.

Oh and why not have 5ish extra types of progress collectables. I feel like a 100% clear is easily going to take me 200+ hours

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
This is probably a storyline spoiler so i'm going to spoiler text it.

I was wandering around doing fortnite drops on stuff that looked interesting and noticed a storm cloud. It had about 1% visibility and i noticed you could make out other islands in the storm when the lightning flashed. Eventually i stumbled across the eye of the storm and there was a big door like the temple of time. After opening that i found a Zonai mask and it had one of those follow the green laser things. After putting the mask where it wanted to go an elevator took me down to the depths and now i'm doing the Spirit Temple which i didn't even know was a thing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stirdog posted:

There are 58 wells, and what feels like 3-4x as many caves. The game easily has 6x the content of BOTW with caves, wells, sky islands, and the depths just bolted on top of what BOTW was.

The side quests are so much better too imo.

Oh and why not have 5ish extra types of progress collectables. I feel like a 100% clear is easily going to take me 200+ hours

it'd be nearly overwhelming except I keep running into really cool diegetic things to find those things too

most on-land shrines are explicitly linked to lightroots underground, so unless you can't find either the shrine or the lightroot there's not as much of the "where the gently caress is the last shrine" going on

bubbulfrogs would be insane except there's apparently multiple routes to point at them, asking the guy where one is, and also giving an offering to satori itself seems to light up a bunch at once

the fashionable mushroom NPCs wandering around in the world seem to be there explicitly to clue you in to the fact that somewhere nearby has an armor chest

I think there's more I'm forgetting but yeah it's rad

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CJ posted:

This is probably a storyline spoiler so i'm going to spoiler text it.

I was wandering around doing fortnite drops on stuff that looked interesting and noticed a storm cloud. It had about 1% visibility and i noticed you could make out other islands in the storm when the lightning flashed. Eventually i stumbled across the eye of the storm and there was a big door like the temple of time. After opening that i found a Zonai mask and it had one of those follow the green laser things. After putting the mask where it wanted to go an elevator took me down to the depths and now i'm doing the Spirit Temple which i didn't even know was a thing.

I'm moderately surprised you can Just Do That but I guess it's par for the course, there's been a couple instances of "getting the quest and immediately complete it because you went hog wild exploring previously" for both main and side quests that I've come across

there's a main plot song and dance you do to dispel the stormcloud and find the island so I'll be curious if they even have you do that or just skip it outright

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

So regarding the save file bonuses, does anyone know how the game handles Normal Mode vs Master Mode saves from BoTW? Do you get to choose or what? Does it only check for completed saves? Because on the Switch version I did everything in Master Mode while my Normal Mode file is just an autosave with 3 hearts in the shrine of resurrection

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 8, 2023

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I'm moderately surprised you can Just Do That but I guess it's par for the course, there's been a couple instances of "getting the quest and immediately complete it because you went hog wild exploring previously" for both main and side quests that I've come across

there's a main plot song and dance you do to dispel the stormcloud and find the island so I'll be curious if they even have you do that or just skip it outright

I'm surprised you dispel it because it feels like a game mechanic to try and navigate it with low visibility. Although i was thinking that it would be impossible if you had sight issues. Once i realised it was a main quest thing i assumed you would get a beacon or something to guide you through the islands to make it a bit easier.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CJ posted:

I'm surprised you dispel it because it feels like a game mechanic to try and navigate it with low visibility. Although i was thinking that it would be impossible if you had sight issues. Once i realised it was a main quest thing i assumed you would get a beacon or something to guide you through the islands to make it a bit easier.

you dispel it enough to "make it visible", the entire island being in a perpetual thunderstorm is The Gimmick, though

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Augus posted:

So regarding the save file bonuses, does anyone know how the game handles Normal Mode vs Master Mode saves from BoTW? Do you get to choose or what? Does it only check for completed saves? Because on the Switch version I did everything in Master Mode while my Normal Mode file is just an autosave with 3 hearts in the shrine of resurrection

It appears to have pulled the stable from my normal mode save, but the save was also apparently in "normal" mode when I launched it so I don't know if making sure master mode is the one selected will make a difference

I'd check but I can't run through the entire tutorial to get to a stable just to check atm

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

man ive been playing on my switch but decided to try it on yuzu for easier play while working at my pc and wow, runs great, and it natively grabbed the gyro and everything from a ps5 controller

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I feel a lot more broke in this game than BOTW. I've only bought two armour pieces and upgraded some stuff at the fairies. Am i meant to be vendoring all these mob drops? I feel like if i do i'm going to regret it when they show up on the item upgrade shopping list.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I vendor all my gems as I figured by the time I need them for upgrades I'll know how to cheatengine farm them quickly.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

but sticking gems on magic wants or staffs or weapons makes them shoot random bullshit, i cant sell them!

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Do the weapon quests in towns after you do the dungeons do anything special? The zora wanted 3 diamonds for his so if it's just going to break in 3 hits he can get hosed.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Do I do something with the zonite or whatever ore? The tutorial has a thing about it to get crystals but the only thing since is a guy that needs 100 crystals. Do I have to go back to tutorial island to get them?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CJ posted:

I feel a lot more broke in this game than BOTW. I've only bought two armour pieces and upgraded some stuff at the fairies. Am i meant to be vendoring all these mob drops? I feel like if i do i'm going to regret it when they show up on the item upgrade shopping list.

I feel like there's more money sinks (did armor upgrades cost rupees in botw?) and there's no easy way to camp and farm farosh horns this time around so yeah

i'm selling them only when I need to, gerudo lady who gives you extra cash for specific gems shows up again too so if you stockpile gems you can dump them on her

queeb posted:

but sticking gems on magic wants or staffs or weapons makes them shoot random bullshit, i cant sell them!

fun story, for 20 rupees you can get the goron kid in tarrey town to break fused weapons/shields

which means that A. you don't "need" more than one of each gem if you want to use a magic staff, as long as you don't break them

and B. you can theoretically get gems off wizzrobe staffs now for 20 rupes, if you have the weapon space for them

KingKapalone posted:

Do I do something with the zonite or whatever ore? The tutorial has a thing about it to get crystals but the only thing since is a guy that needs 100 crystals. Do I have to go back to tutorial island to get them?

zonite gets turned into a lot of stuff but the most immediate thing you'll care about is crystals, because crystals turn into batteries. you'll find other people later who sell crystals for ore too, but until you go delving in the depths yeah the tutorial island is the only available vendor

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I forgot about battery upgrades for a few days and then finally remembered and went from starter battery to 2.5 batteries in one swoop and it's amazing.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

KingKapalone posted:

How much of the depths have you explored? Try looking round under the great plateau.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
There's a sky island up around Rito Village that has two cisterns full of water, one being filled. They both have sluices, I rigged them to stick so that I could drain both but aside from a few fish flopping around there didn't seem to be anything else to do, but there's CLEARLY something I'm missing

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
That geometry is cut and pasted a few times around the map. In one there's a spirit orb thing, don't know what they're called.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Yarrington posted:

There's a sky island up around Rito Village that has two cisterns full of water, one being filled. They both have sluices, I rigged them to stick so that I could drain both but aside from a few fish flopping around there didn't seem to be anything else to do, but there's CLEARLY something I'm missing

I've found one of those and it had 2 treasure chests with whatever inside of them. I was hoping it would make a new little water source on the surface but it does not.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
SAPPA!!!

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

do i get to rebuild the area around the castle

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What were you even meant to do in this shrine? There's a switch behind that grate but i can't figure out how to get to it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

the bad news is they respawn, the good news is you're dealing with them incorrectly, sort of-- just shoot their main body with a bomb arrow and they'll lose their rock armor and turn into a normal like like

Huh, really? My first approach was to just shoot its body (and then mouth) with bomb arrows and it didn't do anything, so I instead shot the rock it shot (which seemed to stun and slightly damage it and - usually, but not always - made it reveal its "core" in its mouth).

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Khanstant posted:

I forgot about battery upgrades for a few days and then finally remembered and went from starter battery to 2.5 batteries in one swoop and it's amazing.

I presume you need to get 100 Crystals for one of these, or is it a different currency? Either way the only source I have right now for Crystals is 10 or so however quickly they respawn in the skymine on the starting island. EDIT: serves me for only reading the last couple posts

CJ posted:

How much of the depths have you explored? Try looking round under the great plateau.

I did plateau before depths fix was on the live experimental builds so I'll check that out later. The little sneaking you can do at the king's old cottage was a hoot. Kinda hard on 4 hearts too!

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 8, 2023

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ytlaya posted:

Huh, really? My first approach was to just shoot its body (and then mouth) with bomb arrows and it didn't do anything, so I instead shot the rock it shot (which seemed to stun and slightly damage it and - usually, but not always - made it reveal its "core" in its mouth).

I swear the last time I ran into a rock one a bomb arrow just knocked it back to normal state, but I'd need to find one again to check and I have no fuckin' clue where I ran into them before (also bow damage may have an effect on the amount of damage the bomb does)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

zonite gets turned into a lot of stuff but the most immediate thing you'll care about is crystals, because crystals turn into batteries. you'll find other people later who sell crystals for ore too, but until you go delving in the depths yeah the tutorial island is the only available vendor

I got a big battery in one of those portable device bubbles but I don't know what batteries do.

I also don't know what the large zonai charges do differently than the small ones. They show a bigger charge indicator but the charge on a device just drains and then refills. Are my zonai charges being used for that recharge? Just getting pulled out of my inventory?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I swear the last time I ran into a rock one a bomb arrow just knocked it back to normal state, but I'd need to find one again to check and I have no fuckin' clue where I ran into them before (also bow damage may have an effect on the amount of damage the bomb does)

Is it possible the ones I fought were normal? I just found them in random small caves in the Lanaryu region, so not exactly the sort of areas where I'd expect to find advanced versions of enemies. They fired boulders and when they opened their mouth there would be some rock covering their "core" (which would be removed/destroyed by shooting a boulder as it exited their mouth, but I think directly shooting it with a bomb just did some damage without exposing the core).

Or do normal ones just always have their core visible?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Battery the Zonai device you glue to devices to extend battery life. The Zonai charges in inventory can be selected and used to recharge your personal battery meter. The big one gives you yellow battery on top of your meter.

Honestly I would not waste the big ones on recharging. Save them for the gacha machines to get hella orbs

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

KingKapalone posted:

I got a big battery in one of those portable device bubbles but I don't know what batteries do.

I also don't know what the large zonai charges do differently than the small ones. They show a bigger charge indicator but the charge on a device just drains and then refills. Are my zonai charges being used for that recharge? Just getting pulled out of my inventory?

the batteries you get in bubbles are one time devices that you can stick on a vehicle to give it a full extra bit of juice. Upgrading the rechargable battery's capacity is where I'm currently stymied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That is something you can warp to one the starter island, or idk I can warp there anyway not sure when I unlocked it since I forgot about it for most of my playtime. You feed it 100 energy triangles and it upgrades your battery