Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Or here's an idea. Just don't purge accounts. Usernames are more useless on Twitter than virtually every other website cause you can set your own nickname whenever you like and you log in with your email. They have no value beyond being able to correctly identify an account to guard against scams and impersonators, and there used to be a checkmark to protect against that.

A purge is completely loving pointless and it's dumb to theorycraft good ways of doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Scumbag posted:

Or here's an idea. Just don't purge accounts. Usernames are more useless on Twitter than virtually every other website cause you can set your own nickname whenever you like and you log in with your email. They have no value beyond being able to correctly identify an account to guard against scams and impersonators, and there used to be a checkmark to protect against that.

A purge is completely loving pointless and it's dumb to theorycraft good ways of doing it.

It really sounds like a low-effort easy win if you're a dumb guy looking at Twitter though, like Elon is

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Mr Scumbag posted:

Twitter isn't even hurting for user names because who the gently caress is signing up for twitter in 2023?

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
If they do get purged I'm totally gonna try to register @catturd

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

pacerwpg posted:

Twitter is indistinguishable from stormfront lol

Great job elong

emp ty wuote

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Are we expecting all social media companies to maintain all accounts that have not been explicitly deactivated for as long as the companies survive?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zedprime posted:

If we're talking about the feelings of the dead people here they're gonna have the least regrets about failing to keep their account inactive. If we're talking about their relatives then using Twitter as a remembrance shrine is already a bad idea because it's subject to much more random reasons of losing access.

That's what I mean about a socially productive archiving plan. If you want Twitter to be a memorial or remembrance there's maybe other things to be doing than hoping on the status quo they keep a policy of retention for ever or until the company dies or the systems fall apart.

I'm also biased because I would totally join a forget-info cult and if we're talking about my personal feelings instead of being socially productive I'd much rather see social media getting completely purged on a rolling basis every 2-3 years.

Ditto here. You're already failing if Twitter is your evidence store.

Not "evidence store" like for a criminal case, just historical context and reactions as they happened in real time. You know like the 9/11 thread we had here: http://www.truegamer.net/SA_911/911%20SATHREAD/wtc01.html

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Halisnacks posted:

Are we expecting all social media companies to maintain all accounts that have not been explicitly deactivated for as long as the companies survive?

sure why not

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kazil posted:

Twitter isn't even hurting for user names because who the gently caress is signing up for twitter in 2023?

I just always assume at this point any big changes Musk talks about are done because some right wing rear end in a top hat is in his ear about it and he desperately wants to be accepted by anyone.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

In other news, Elon is now an expert on *checks notes* immigration along the US-Mexico border

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1655627982852042770
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1655628353620127755

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Halisnacks posted:

It's more there should be an expectation of trust your data/files/media/etc will not vanish arbitrarily overnight on a platform. Something like this breaks that implicit trust in the platform, because if it'll happen for one reason, any other reason might be just as valid.

(See also; Imgur shooting itself in the foot with a sawn-off double-barrel shotgun loaded with dragonsbreath within the next few days)

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Halisnacks posted:

I mean, that's literally the point of a social media company. Certainly the successful ones. Hey, anyone remember 20 years ago when Hotmail would delete your account if you didn't log in for 3 months? Wonder why they never became the dominant free email service.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Oh no!

Anyway....

On my list of things to give a poo poo about, an imaginary line that impoverished poor brown people cross for better lives is pretty loving low.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 8, 2023

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Halisnacks posted:

You're asking this like you have to feed and water the poor little database rows or they won't survive?

There's no maintenance or effort that has to be expended doing that

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

kazil posted:

In other news, Elon is now an expert on *checks notes* immigration along the US-Mexico border

i didn't think i could hate elon even. this is groundbreaking stuff.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

kazil posted:

Ah yes the Texas national guard deployed on border!

Famously known for stoping the immigrant invasion over the last year as the governor has deployed them to HOTSPOTS such as large political donors ranches!!!

Also famous for increased suicides as the guardsmen say they literally do nothing but sit around away from their families. I was going to make another joke but instead it’s just incredibly sad!

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I mean the kind of person who joins the Texas national guard is probably incredibly sad that they're sitting around doing nothing away from their family instead of getting to actually mow down crowds of invading foreigners so i can't say I'm too sad for them

Ciao Wren
May 5, 2023

by sebmojo

Parkingtigers posted:

I mean, that's literally the point of a social media company. Certainly the successful ones. Hey, anyone remember 20 years ago when Hotmail would delete your account if you didn't log in for 3 months? Wonder why they never became the dominant free email service.

I have a soft spot for Hotmail in my heart because I could plausibly tell my parents the browser autocomolete was a typo for my email.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/1655553288945778690
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1655630136677392387

hey gently caress elon musk

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's more there should be an expectation of trust your data/files/media/etc will not vanish arbitrarily overnight on a platform. Something like this breaks that implicit trust in the platform, because if it'll happen for one reason, any other reason might be just as valid.

(See also; Imgur shooting itself in the foot with a sawn-off double-barrel shotgun loaded with dragonsbreath within the next few days)

Yeah, Elon is botching it for sure. But if he was deleting dormant accounts en masse with a thoughtful sunset and comms plan, and due consideration for how to treat deceased people’s accounts, I don’t see a problem in principle with a company purging inactive accounts.

If we think maintaining old posts/threads is a matter of public interest or useful to future historians, then regulate the companies to require this. It’s naive to assume a private-sector enterprise will do this without compulsion just because you’ve given them unwarranted trust.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yeah, why keep old accounts that aren't being used? If you're a relative of the deceased and you want to memorialize them, make a shrine or something. Print out their tweets and put them on a wall or whatever.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

big black turnout posted:

I mean the kind of person who joins the Texas national guard is probably incredibly sad that they're sitting around doing nothing away from their family instead of getting to actually mow down crowds of invading foreigners so i can't say I'm too sad for them

I assume your not from Texas or know anyone here but people who join the national guard are usually poor immigrants themselves, and they do it for some bonus pay because the claim is you only get deployed for “emergencies” and train a few weekends a year. Every now and then to get mustered for a natural disaster response but your regular day job boss is probably cool with that. And if you stick it out 20 years you can get a pension.

People who want to kill brown people join active duty infantry.

Most of these people have jobs that pay more than they get for deploying on this boondoggle. And although their regular employers are legally obligated to keep their job for their return, they sure as poo poo don’t get paid for it while they are gone. If your family makes 65k a year if there is even a 10% differential in pay from your day job to guard deploy pay your family is in trouble.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

priznat posted:

lmao literally dying

Now you'll lose your Twitter account. :ohdear:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tarkus posted:

Yeah, why keep old accounts that aren't being used? If you're a relative of the deceased and you want to memorialize them, make a shrine or something. Print out their tweets and put them on a wall or whatever.
Because it costs nothing and they're parts of other conversations. Deleting your account should be an option of course, obviously.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Konar posted:

You're asking this like you have to feed and water the poor little database rows or they won't survive?

There's no maintenance or effort that has to be expended doing that
Even if I discount all the infrastructure maintenance needed. Even if I discount all of the information science and user interface considerations needed to usefully consider info from 2009 and 2019. Elon is demonstrating he is one sentence away from all the poor little database rows being turned out on the street.

This attitude is representative of everything I hate about our society trying to cut out librarians because server go whizzzz, just add racks and keep complicating the search algorithm till the illusion of important information comes out of the unmanageable 50 terabyte depths.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 8, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

elon's startin to get that half-centaur pose like ol' trump

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Future generations must be forced to read my poo poo posts. No deleting me pls.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Because it costs nothing and they're parts of other conversations. Deleting your account should be an option of course, obviously.

Nah, I'm a data hoarder but sometimes you gotta let poo poo go. Delete old accounts and archive stuff that's older than 5 years old just in case that post about 'muh kids gettin transed' is historically significant.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Oh look, it's the same guy who was complaining about population collapse the other day.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
https://twitter.com/hwill31300111/status/1655639936156983308?t=8hQxGueHIDAVA_ORCoMqEQ&s=19

Looking into it, Mr. Sex Trafficker, sir!

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Twitter dot com looking good

(i have no account and this was incogito)

right at the top of the homepage, lol

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Literally the only reason I want my account back would be to read dms from my dead friends but now that the option is gone it's just time to watch the building slowly go up in flames while doing other things

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

morningdrew posted:

Now that's a post to save for all time. Might just push me over to the save it all side.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

morningdrew posted:

!

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That's just good content you won't be seeing on The Lame Stream Media

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Reminder

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1655315576057741312?s=20

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1655629160956538896?s=20

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Machai posted:

I have tweeted directly at him multiple times, calling him an idiot and an rear end in a top hat, and nothing happened. No block, ban, probe, nothing.

Call him cis. Ur acct might be suspended for hate speech tho.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Almost like journalists do things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

morningdrew posted:

Too few people understand this!