Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Khanstant posted:

I can't believe nobody asked me what the ulterior meaning of my unsubtle inflammatory clickbait thumbnail was

light novels are really reaching these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Well, I certainly won't watch any more videos from *squints* Afterlifegaming!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Square doesnt really like to take risks anymore, and I don't think they could afford to make another full length film anymore. The financial reports out there paint the company as always seeming like they are one commercial flop away from shutting down.
idk they release all kinds of weird poo poo throughout the year, they don't throw a lot of promotional budget at it but they're not unwilling to spend money on risks. did you play the centennial case?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dungeon encounters was one of my favorite rpgs of, whatever year it came out, and that game is crazily niche for a major publisher like square

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Square might not take high budget risks anymore but they still release a lot of weird and interesting low- to mid-budget games, many of which are also very good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hey I was playing dungeon encounters while watching spirits within! Released twenty years apart, both boring, though in different ways

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah Square has massively stepped up the number of tiny niche releases it puts out lately. Which makes sense - AAA games are ludicrously expensive these days and their latest big budget release was a huge flop.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'd love if the industry as a whole went towards making games that don't cost a Hollywood budget for fidelity

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
remember: if it has too much graphics for the switch, it has too much graphics

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I'd love if the industry as a whole went towards making games that don't cost a Hollywood budget for fidelity

That'd be fine, it's that half the games that cost a Hollywood budget turn out to be absolutely worthless buggy messes

Imagine putting in years of your life, and this is what you have to show for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mddj9MvvmOo

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Are we on our way to everyone realizing that hey maybe there's too many loving GaaS poo poo games floating around for us to try and jimmy another one into the market so developers stop loving making these enormous gambles on them

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well there was the mini-gaas-apocalypse a few weeks ago where several announced shutdown plans within a few days of each other and then the suicide squad delay happened, but things seem to have quieted down again so publishers might be starting to think it's safe again

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

would you all like to buy some of my NFTs yet

asking for a friend

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
When's Exoprimal out? that one has unfortunate timing imo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I guess there are still GaaS games yet to be revealed that started development a few years ago so they may still continue to be released for a bit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are we on our way to everyone realizing that hey maybe there's too many loving GaaS poo poo games floating around for us to try and jimmy another one into the market so developers stop loving making these enormous gambles on them

I would hate for it to have the Hollywood problem of movies needing to be these reliable blockbusters or aiming to be one or with enough established big names attached that nobody gets weird medium budget things for a smaller audiences.

I think videogames have it better because great tools to make projects solo or with small teams to create smaller games. Selling em is another thing and a real visibility problem, but like, I can start making anything from an old school rpg to a modern graphics game surpassing contemporary console power for relatively cheap or free.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing Final Fantasy 2, and FF8 currently. But focused mostly on FF2 right now until I finish that. Both games are good!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Hwurmp posted:

would you all like to buy some of my NFTs yet

asking for a friend

would you like a nice NFT in this trying time

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm looking through videos of old 3D licensed games and bookmarking the ones that are well-reviewed and praised as expanding on the film or TV show's plot with things like extra dialog and sidequests so it feels like more of the movie, e.g. Emperor's New Groove, Toy Story 3, Kung Fu Panda. Something I've noticed about the worst 3D platformers is that they put every scene in a factory, warehouse, or sewer (e.g. Garfield: Saving Arlene, the M&Ms Wii game) as an excuse to render fewer objects

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 8, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A prescient social commentary on how licensed games often feel factory made, obscuring our true horizon (full communism).

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Feldegast42 posted:

would you like a nice NFT in this trying time

https://youtu.be/g9A6ctjHAxE

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

galenanorth posted:

I'm looking through videos of old 3D licensed games and bookmarking the ones that are well-reviewed and praised as expanding on the film or TV show's plot with things like extra dialog and sidequests so it feels like more of the movie, e.g. Emperor's New Groove, Toy Story 3, Kung Fu Panda. Something I've noticed about the worst 3D platformers is that they put every scene in a factory, warehouse, or sewer (e.g. Garfield: Saving Arlene, the M&Ms Wii game) as an excuse to render fewer objects

Where does that skittles game fall on that spectrum?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Sour Skittles Race: It's a Paperboy rip-off, except instead of houses, you're throwing sour skittles packages at people just standing there
Skittles Pop It:

likewise more of a browser game released for PC for some reason. I don't think there were any Skittles home console games. looks worse than the Garfield game

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
sewer levels are unfairly maligned

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
No, the one based on the taste the rainbow commercials from like 2000, I can't remember what it was called though

E: Darkened Skye that's what it was called. 2002 was quite a year

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 8, 2023

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Found it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkened_Skye
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/darkened-skye

I am intrigued and bookmarked it

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8rN4JGWA4w
shows some good clips despite the dumb thumbnail. The game publisher, Simon & Schuster, was paying Mars for their licenses rather than the other way around with the belief it'd boost sales

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 9, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eggzBAzCZg

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I enjoy that I can rely on Square Enix putting out a wide variety of low to mid budget rpgs each year that are good as hell + get zero marketing so nobody knows they exist.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

GaaS games ban OP (original publisher)

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

No, the one based on the taste the rainbow commercials from like 2000, I can't remember what it was called though

E: Darkened Skye that's what it was called. 2002 was quite a year

I had this on gamecube! I remember it being serviceable enough as a game, which was good-for-a-licensed-title. Gameplay was mediocre but a handful of jokes landed. My 20-year-old recollection is that the voice actors were clearly having a good time with it.

If memory serves I played for 2 hours, stepped in an inch deep puddle, and died.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

xedo posted:

I had this on gamecube! I remember it being serviceable enough as a game, which was good-for-a-licensed-title. Gameplay was mediocre but a handful of jokes landed. My 20-year-old recollection is that the voice actors were clearly having a good time with it.

If memory serves I played for 2 hours, stepped in an inch deep puddle, and died.

It's a perfectly serviceable game that desperately doesn't want to be about Skittles also happens to be about Skittles.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

More games should be about skittles. Real skittles not the green apple garbage they tried to sell us on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We need a game about M&Ms so we can mod it to make them properly sexy again

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In terms of "Mainstream Candy" Skittles are A tier for sure. Bordering on S tier; comfortable companions to the Twin Bing and the Twix. Purely in terms of Fruity it's only real competition for the top spot are Mamba's and Hi Chew, both of which are too disparate in texture compared to skittles to be directly compared fairly.

Butterfinger would be up there in A tier if it didn't get stuck in your teeth, M&M's are fully in trash tier and Skor is S++ Tier. Total Toffee domination.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The truest, greatest candy is the "Lik" part of the Lik a Stik; just the most perfect combination of chalky dustiness and subtle sweetness. I'd loving crush bags of those if they didn't change them to gross sweet powder.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

galenanorth posted:

The game publisher, Simon & Schuster, was paying Mars for their licenses rather than the other way around with the belief it'd boost sales

??? you'd think they'd have mentioned skittles anywhere on the box in that case

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the only candy i'll eat is either coffee crisp or those strawberry soft centered candies everyone's grandma has

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Zokari posted:

??? you'd think they'd have mentioned skittles anywhere on the box in that case

Executive Producer Dale DeSharone posted:

About Darkened Skye (and M&M's) it was another strange 'Publisher Choice'.Simon & Schuster wanted to get the M&M's license from Mars because they believed M&M's would make a great game (because the characters are recognized all over the world). But, at the same time they negotiated to get the Skittles license from Mars (in case they couldn't get M&M's.) Well, Mars gave them BOTH licenses.

With Skittles, Mars wanted to make the brand more popular with people in their 20s. Their research showed that the Skittles market declined with people older than 20. They thought a cool computer game based on Skittles would make the brand more popular. Personally, I thought Skittles should be a little kid title. But, Mars, and then Simon & Schuster insisted on making it an adult game. But, it also could not be too violent (because of the brand). So, we created a design based on the very cool Skittles television commercials (Merlin, Asian guy, Woman on White horse at Stonehenge, Gargoyles). We worked on the game for 2 years. There were over 50 people in Kiev working on it. There are over 2 hours of in-game animation. By the time it was finished, Simon & Schuster didn't want people to think of it as a Skittles game. They almost pulled Skittles from the game. But, we had woven Skittles into the game-play and some text.
So, they left it but you won't see Skittles on the box cover.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

stev posted:

Pretty sure Spirits Within doesn't have a single chocobo or moogle.

yah but it's got Cid!

i remember liking Spirits Within at the time but now cant remember much about it except sick planet and Steve Buschemi. meanwhile i didnt like Advent Children at the time and cant remember much about it except sick people and a lack of Steve Buschemi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

cheetah7071 posted:

sewer levels are unfairly maligned

Sewers of Imperial City