Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks, everybody! Kid was just born and is doing great, already had his first good meal too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

loquacius posted:

Thanks, everybody! Kid was just born and is doing great, already had his first good meal too

:woop:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

Yay!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

gently caress yeah!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

awesome, congratulations

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
good job baby goon!

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Congratulations! Also I'm sorry

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Swaddle that fucker up and enjoy

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Woke Mind Virus posted:

Swaddle that fucker up and enjoy

also prepare to learn 85 different ways to swaddle your kid. all the nurses at our hospital were teaching me the BEST way which was completely different from the last

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

loquacius posted:

Congrats!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Get one swaddle with the velcro, not for regular use, but sometimes it's just fun to turn your infant into lil worm with no arms.

On good days I called him my lil inch worm, on bad days I called him my lil grub.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
little girl burst out of every swaddle like the hulk because she hated having her arms restricted. still does. wont hold my hand ever.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we never could get the hang of swaddling and just did the velcro wrap stuff

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah they blanket-swaddled him for us once but this hospital does "rooming in", unlike the one where our first was born, so we just put him in a velcro swaddle next time he needed it because it was easier than calling a nurse

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Oh right, this ain't your first rodeo. You got it

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

KirbyKhan posted:

Get one swaddle with the velcro, not for regular use, but sometimes it's just fun to turn your infant into lil worm with no arms.

On good days I called him my lil inch worm, on bad days I called him my lil grub.

My lil glow worm

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

loquacius posted:

congrats mate

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Thanks again everyone

God I loving hate meconium

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

loquacius posted:

Thanks again everyone

just keep wiping

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Pet peeve: Parenting advice can often be really polarizing in either direction and it can be frustrating, particularly online. I think there's actually a large subset of parents that have parenting challenges with their kids(s) and every piece of advice is some variant of these extremes:

"It's because you don't spank them enough! You spoiled them and now they walk all over you!"

"Have you tried just sitting down and talking to them?"

While on the surface the latter example seems reasonable I think it can often be just as unhelpful as the first. If you as an adult have a hard time managing boundaries then some kids will use that to work things to their advantage. Now they aren't doing it out of malice per se but it is the child keying into adults hesitant to be "too mean" or "too permissive". Some kids are more defiant than others, some more impulsive and there's no one size fits all unfortunately.

Not to mention the fact that people tend to grossly self report success to others and not failures.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

Thanks again everyone

its so loving gross

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Panfilo posted:

Not to mention the fact that people tend to grossly self report success to others and not failures.

I'm still really new at the parenting thing, but even with an infant I have to constantly steel myself against this.

Our former preemie still isn't sitting up by herself or crawling at 8 months adjusted and that is fine. But woe should I happen to search for advice about how to help her learn. All these babies running around and dunking on regulation sized hoops at 6 months!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chad Sexington posted:

I'm still really new at the parenting thing, but even with an infant I have to constantly steel myself against this.

Our former preemie still isn't sitting up by herself or crawling at 8 months adjusted and that is fine. But woe should I happen to search for advice about how to help her learn. All these babies running around and dunking on regulation sized hoops at 6 months!

milestones are just guides, your kid will get there, and the pediatrician will guide you if they think it's necessary

gently caress the parent bloggers they love to just smugly judge other parents through humble brags and editing

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My daughter didn't start crawling by herself until around 8 or 9 months either I don't think, but she was talking super early. A friend of ours' kid still doesn't talk much at 2 but can climb all over poo poo and solves puzzles way faster than my kid does. There are tons of different ways kids can develop and they all go at different speeds per kid per skill.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

progress is also not linear, my 3 year old was speech delayed, i took him to speech therapy for a few months a while back, now he is saying 10+ word sentences which is way ahead of where most kids are at that age. most important thing when they're little is to keep them happy and healthy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Confession: I really enjoy toddler style run-on sentences

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, don't worry about milestones. Not really the same thing, but my brother in law didn't get teeth before he was a year. When my in laws went to the doctor, he calmly told them that he'd never heard of kids not getting teeth, so don't worry. Basically same thing with walking and talking in my experience (barring actual physical or mental problems).

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah it's a good idea to keep that in mind with a lot of early childhood stuff. "She's not gonna be calling us up to demand we drive in to feed her her school lunch off her fork when she's twelve" and so forth

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ikanreed posted:

Confession: I really enjoy toddler style run-on sentences

yeah it can be hard to follow sometimes but usually its funny

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

Yeah it's a good idea to keep that in mind with a lot of early childhood stuff. "She's not gonna be calling us up to demand we drive in to feed her her school lunch off her fork when she's twelve" and so forth

They might not call, but by God it will be funny when I do just that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
if you need evidence that every kid is wildly different, just go ahead and have two kids and be loving amazed at the spectrum of wild rear end humans you're able to produce.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

if you need evidence that every kid is wildly different, just go ahead and have two kids and be loving amazed at the spectrum of wild rear end humans you're able to produce.

I cannot and will not get over how vastly different my two are.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mustached Demon posted:

milestones are just guides, your kid will get there, and the pediatrician will guide you if they think it's necessary

gently caress the parent bloggers they love to just smugly judge other parents through humble brags and editing

Mommyblogs are some of the most vicious and ruthless posting battlegrounds I've witnessed. Wife is on the mommyandme forums and the psychic warfare these cohort moms engage in are intense for every milestone.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

First kid was extremely chill and ez baby. Second kid is (rightfully) demanding and vocal. If we had second baby first there would not be a second baby.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Looking forward to the baby being old enough for that kind of personality... Although I have a feeling I will miss the overly cautious big brother's personality when he begins running around

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yesterday my son kept talking about how his sister was a bad guy who was going to steal his hair ??????????

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

First kid was extremely chill and ez baby. Second kid is (rightfully) demanding and vocal. If we had second baby first there would not be a second baby.

i only have the one but i always feel kinda guilty when i read about early parenting stories because she was so drat easy. slept great, ate great, mild fussiness. and i know i would never get that lucky again.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don’t have time or energy to worry about milestones with the second like I did with the first.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

KirbyKhan posted:

my mom told me that god always makes the first baby easy to trick you into having another one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

although actually my younger daughter is actually much easier so far. she always smiles and is never fussy except when hungry or tired. i have all these bad memories from when my son was that age of having to spend ages rocking him to sleep in his chair but then waking up the instant i tried to move him into his bassinet or crib. and then basically being unable to make any noise at all while he was sleeping - one time he was napping and i was playing x-com, i threw a grenade and the sound of the blast (through my freakin headphones!!!!!!!) woke him up. meanwhile with my daughter when it's naptime you can just put her in the crib and she'll suck her thumb until she falls asleep, and she can easily nap through the sounds of a rambunctious toddler running around and yelling.

i hope she stays this chill forever lol.