Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

projecthalaxy posted:

*fingers Always Bad-style revisionism button thoughtfully*

I mean in fairness the Cena and Brock stuff is still the best stuff WWE has done for like the decade prior and in the 6-7 years since. It's kind of preposterous just how good that SummerSlam match with Cena was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
between being old and beat up and knowing that WWE booking is going to gently caress up anything you’re involved in I don’t blame him for taking the last years of his career easy

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MJeff posted:

Dirty little secret about AJ in WWE is that he's been aggressively average to mediocre since the Brock match which was six years ago now.

AJ's 2017-2018 title run involved feuds with Kevin Owens, Sami Zayn, Shinsuke Nakamura, and Samoa Joe and they all sucked, it was wild.

DBry stuff once he turned heel and beat Styles was really good though.

I don't recall much about AJ from 2019 on, though. Teamed with Omos for a while. Some pandemic IC matches with Hardy, maybe?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
There's also the boneyard match which people will try to convince you was good. These people are demons and you should throw holy water on them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

There's also the boneyard match which people will try to convince you was good. These people are demons and you should throw holy water on them.

Will never stop saying DDT did a way better cinematic nonsense match in 2020, with Takeshita against Yoshihiko in a Last Man Standing match that even mocked the ripping out the eye spot from Rey Rollins match, work of art.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Always wild to think there was a decade of wrestlers who's prime was ignored because Vince was at least a decade behind and TNA was trying to emulate the death of WCW.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Always wild to think there was a decade of wrestlers who's prime was ignored because Vince was at least a decade behind and TNA was trying to emulate the death of WCW.

For how influential ROH/early 00's Indy wrestling was to the current product it's wild that the only wrestlers to make the WOR hall from that period are AJ and Danielson and unless the Punk comeback doesn't explode I don't see that changing

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

For how influential ROH/early 00's Indy wrestling was to the current product it's wild that the only wrestlers to make the WOR hall from that period are AJ and Danielson and unless the Punk comeback doesn't explode I don't see that changing

Crediting ROH for the current product is crazy.

New Japan becoming the first #2 promotion in the US to not be there by default is to credit for that. ROH during the 00s was never even a blip compared to what mid-2010s New Japan was.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If Punk comes back and gets AEW a new TV show and the money that comes with it, there's no universe where he isn't a bolted on 1000% locked in hall of famer.

He already is on the merits, but it would be preposterous to leave him out after that.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYwXUxgszF0

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

rare Magic card l00k posted:

New Japan becoming the first #2 promotion in the US to not be there by default is to credit for that. ROH during the 00s was never even a blip compared to what mid-2010s New Japan was.

What's the old quote about The Velvet Underground & Nico? "The first Velvet Underground album only sold 30,000 copies in its 1st 5 years, but everyone who bought it formed a band."

I'm not saying Gabe era ROH is quite that influential but more that influence doesn't always mean instant commercial success. But that legacy is a huge impact on AEW's style and even shines through in part in WWE.

Guys might well have been a success without ROH, with only IWAMS, CZW, JAPW, RevPro/PWG, Wildside, whatever, but despite being a niche within a niche ROH did give guys like London, Kendrick, Danielson, McGuinness, Joe, Briscoes, Claudio, Hero, Shelley, an intermediate step between local indies and the TV promotions.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

forkboy84 posted:

What's the old quote about The Velvet Underground & Nico? "The first Velvet Underground album only sold 30,000 copies in its 1st 5 years, but everyone who bought it formed a band."

I'm not saying Gabe era ROH is quite that influential but more that influence doesn't always mean instant commercial success. But that legacy is a huge impact on AEW's style and even shines through in part in WWE.

Guys might well have been a success without ROH, with only IWAMS, CZW, JAPW, RevPro/PWG, Wildside, whatever, but despite being a niche within a niche ROH did give guys like London, Kendrick, Danielson, McGuinness, Joe, Briscoes, Claudio, Hero, Shelley, an intermediate step between local indies and the TV promotions.

Actually its all ring ka king. from high to low, all wrestling is reaction to ring ka king.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just checking, but has Puerto Rican Destroyer been trademarked yet?

(don't pretend Petey Williams....)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

ROH had a huge impact on American wrestling. The talent that came through that company and made their names in it alone is ridiculous. Night one of WrestleMania had Kevin Steen and El Generico main event, for example.

The point is that while CM Punk and Samoa Joe were having hour long draws both companies with TV exposure were actively going in the other direction. WWE took it as an insult, spent a decade saying ROH didn't know how to work and sabotaged the careers of anyone who they hired for having a name made outside of WWE while pushing poorly trained bodybuilders. TNA had Jeff Jarrett as it's top star and spent the following years poorly booking some of the best wresters going in favour of former WWE guys padding their pension.

It's only really after CM Punk over came WWE's bullshit that there was any change, and even then WWE nearly sabotaged Bryan Danielson right out of the gate.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

ROH had a huge impact on American wrestling. The talent that came through that company and made their names in it alone is ridiculous. Night one of WrestleMania had Kevin Steen and El Generico main event, for example.

The point is that while CM Punk and Samoa Joe were having hour long draws both companies with TV exposure were actively going in the other direction. WWE took it as an insult, spent a decade saying ROH didn't know how to work and sabotaged the careers of anyone who they hired for having a name made outside of WWE while pushing poorly trained bodybuilders. TNA had Jeff Jarrett as it's top star and spent the following years poorly booking some of the best wresters going in favour of former WWE guys padding their pension.

It's only really after CM Punk over came WWE's bullshit that there was any change, and even then WWE nearly sabotaged Bryan Danielson right out of the gate.

It's funny if you see comments in the newsletters from TNA around 2003-5, often complaining that "we have most of the same wrestlers so why do they get rave reviews for their work in ROH & not here? It's not fair" & in 2003 London & AJ are given 25 minutes to steal the show while at the same time London is having fun sub 10 minute matches with Chris Sabin that end with some poorly done interference & AJ is stuck being associated with Vince Russo & in matches with multiple run-ins.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

It’s crazy to me that I stopped watching wrestling because of reasons - but I remember hearing about he next superstars coming up from indies and now those stars are nobodies (styles and cm punk) while I completely missed the people getting pushed that I didn’t think they ever push (hardy boys split and edge etc) only for them to have a talented roster headed up by some jackass who does a Superman punch.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MJeff posted:

It was good because my boys were in that match therefore that match ruled

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Don't forget ROH also had the NOAH talent like KENTA and Marufuji who also greatly influenced the indy style which bled over to WWE and AEW

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
Compared to Ceno World Order vs Bray match, it was way worse because it involved someone worse than Bray - remember it ending with Taker riding off on his harley to new metallica or some poo poo... on the other hand, It had the best opening of any match ever

are those your boys Stab?! I can't see how coked out daddy magic's kayfabing in that robe if its him; though possible hard nipple sighting

Hirez fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 8, 2023

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Barry Bluejeans posted:

"Give me the Ziggy," Fat Dolph declares, the crowd roaring their approval of his famous catchphrase

Sometimes called the office.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Dolph should get fat and call himself Big Ziggy.

A hype promo of him eating the Ziggy Piggy dessert from Bill & Ted all by himself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

boneyard match owned. undertaker killed the bad brothers

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Do the second one Dolph, the world needs Summer of Hunk.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Hirez posted:

Compared to Ceno World Order vs Bray match, it was way worse because it involved someone worse than Bray - remember it ending with Taker riding off on his harley to new metallica or some poo poo... on the other hand, It had the best opening of any match ever

are those your boys Stab?! I can't see how coked out daddy magic's kayfabing in that robe if its him; though possible hard nipple sighting

Yep

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
stab, I'm pretty sure that's AJ Styles.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m heeere to eat the pig
I’m heeere to eat the pig

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

MJeff posted:

Stab's roster of boys is ever expanding

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jesus they still employ Dolph Ziggler?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

did you search through the Ziggy archives looking for a relevant comic or did you remember this one top of dome

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

did you search through the Ziggy archives looking for a relevant comic or did you remember this one top of dome

GIS ziggy comic, clicked on the like title page or whatever, saw this in the related images and figured forward facing plus checklist could have potential

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Big Ziggy style

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Raw stuff:

The triple threats for the World Heavyweight/non-Roman participation trophy tournament: Seth/Nakamura/Priest and Miz/Finn/Cody, winners face each other in the main event
Brock is backstage and reports are he's not finished with his Backlash opponent :rubby:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

MJeff posted:

And John Cena

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

Raw stuff:

The triple threats for the World Heavyweight/non-Roman participation trophy tournament: Seth/Nakamura/Priest and Miz/Finn/Cody, winners face each other in the main event
Brock is backstage and reports are he's not finished with his Backlash opponent :rubby:

Sigh, they're gonna do "Brock attacks Cody to knock him out of the tournament" instead of "Brock murders someone on SmackDown to get into the tournament to have another shot at Cody", huh.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

MJeff posted:

Sigh, they're gonna do "Brock attacks Cody to knock him out of the tournament" instead of "Brock murders someone on SmackDown to get into the tournament to have another shot at Cody", huh.

Brock will beat the poo poo out of him for ten uninterrupted minutes in order to show the world what a fluke victory the loser fuckface who thought he could betray The Brand got over him on backlash.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Breetai posted:

Brock will beat the poo poo out of him for ten uninterrupted minutes in order to show the world what a fluke victory the loser fuckface who thought he could betray The Brand got over him on backlash.

I love Brock Lesnar so that sounds really cool.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

- Cody Rhdoes promo

- World Title Tournament: Cody Rhodes vs. Finn Balor vs. Miz

- Otis vs. Mustafa Ali

- World Title Tournament: Seth Rollins vs. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Damian Priest

- Dana Brooke vs. Rhea Ripley

- Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn vs. Imperium

- Nikki Cross vs. Zoey Stark

- Trish Stratus promo

- Xavier Woods vs. Dominik Mysterio

- World Title Tournament semifinals SPOILER BELOW

Backstage News:

- Roxanne Perez vs. Emma is scheduled for tonight's Main Event Tapings.

- Akira Tozawa vs. Nathan Frazier is also scheduled for Main Event.

- We'll have tons of backstage news, details and producers tomorrow on Select.

- We're also told that right after publishing this, a production assistant handed out a new format to some of the ringside talent.

Spoilers

- There were "missing" posters made for Becky Lynch for tonight's Raw

- There were "petitions" made for Chelsea Green and Sonya Deville to use at the tapings

- Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor is listed as the semifinal main event. This can always change, or be listed intentionally incorrectly.

-Zoey Stark will be making her debut on the brand, facing Nikki Cross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I just had a fever dream of Cody winning at next years wrestlemania and Otis immediately cashing in the money in the bank thingy and winning. This is the golden path.