Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Isn't a rondo a type of music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
best bit of skill 0.75 goals lmao

people desperately doing elasticos and rainbow flicks in their own box in the 95th minute

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Eau de MacGowan posted:

people desperately doing elasticos and rainbow flicks in their own box in the 95th minute

lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/spectator/status/1652959155060191232?t=wph7q9rVG9wUjBi_qOgy4A&s=19

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

More like Tom Not Goodenough to be a real journalist

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

tom goodenough sounds like a simpsons nom de plume

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I would play Tony Hawk's Pro Footballer tbh and get sick tekkerz combos

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Adel taarabt street soccer by ea sports BIG

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Simone Poodoin posted:

I would play Tony Hawk's Pro Footballer tbh and get sick tekkerz combos

that was legitimately a thing for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqj_h57CnTk

you got to deduct goals off the opponent's score by doing powerful nutmegs on them

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

https://twitter.com/JackPittBrooke/status/1653694450567200770?t=DzCmDR5uA4tSpcRRxkrrRQ&s=19

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
That guy sounds like he got the poo poo beat out of him constantly while growing up

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

that was legitimately a thing for a while

lol I had forgotten that this existed

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Weaponized Cum posted:

That guy sounds like he got the poo poo beat out of him constantly while growing up
With that name and that profile picture? Absofuckinglutely.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

quote:

But let’s turn to Haaland himself. What are we to make of this strange goal orc, the genetic product of an encounter between 90s midfielder Alf Inge Haaland and a copy of Tekken 3 on Playstation? There is, perhaps, an in-built tedium to the existence of the career goalscorer, this largely unglamorous pursuit of brute volume: easy goals, ugly goals, pointless goals, the goals nobody recalls. How many of Alan Shearer’s 260 Premier League goals were genuinely memorable? What are the moments that stir the soul? Put more simply: is there any more to this elvish Norse phenomenon than cold numbers?

I wonder if they make you masturbate with a printed out sheet of your own copy when you're interviewed at the Guardian or if it's something they teach

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

I wonder if they make you masturbate with a printed out sheet of your own copy when you're interviewed at the Guardian or if it's something they teach

it feels like football journalism falls into two categories:

- bloke down the pub having a yarn
- failed creative writing student doing bits

and i'd rather read 1 over 2 every day of the week

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

The shout went up: "Run, Pedro, run!" So Pedro Rodríguez ran. Fast. Across the concourse, beyond the baggage check, down the escalator and along platform two, security guard puffing away behind him as if his name was Marcelo da Silva. From the train, Pep Guardiola peered out anxiously as he approached and the warning sounded. Beep-beep-beep. Run, Pedro, run! Skidding across the polished floor, spinning on his heel with a cartoon screech and turning, Pedro finally hopped through the door just as it closed with an airy whoosh. Standing there on AVE 03162, the FC Barcelona delegate Carlos Naval breathed a sigh of relief and looked at his watch.

It was 4.01pm on Saturday afternoon and Barcelona had a match to go to.

Trouble was, that match kicked off in four hours time. Four hundred and eighty-nine kilometres away. Time was ticking. And so it was that Barcelona became Odysseus heading for Ithaca, Jake and Ellwood wearing sunglasses in the dark, Del Griffith finding that those aren't pillows. There were no planes, at least not yet, so trains and automobiles would have to do. It became a mad dash, Lola sprinting across Berlin, desperately trying to reach the Aktiv Markt before Manni pulled a pistol. Only, as well as the thumping sound of Tom Tykwer, the theme to Benny Hill sprang to mind – a sped-up, silly soundtrack punctured by accusation and recrimination.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

emjayo posted:

Option 1 no longer exists, it's been replaced by data wonk

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

emjayo posted:

Most of the decent writers went to The Athletic.

emjayo
Apr 11, 2013

Mickolution posted:

why pay for them when i’ve paid $10 for the best troll free football experience on the internet

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Butterfly Valley posted:

the run-on bits find you, you don't find them

the guardian just train you out of correcting your typos, and how to ignore adrian chiles

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

vyelkin posted:

The shout went up: "Run, Pedro, run!" So Pedro Rodríguez ran. Fast. Across the concourse, beyond the baggage check, down the escalator and along platform two, security guard puffing away behind him as if his name was Marcelo da Silva. From the train, Pep Guardiola peered out anxiously as he approached and the warning sounded. Beep-beep-beep. Run, Pedro, run! Skidding across the polished floor, spinning on his heel with a cartoon screech and turning, Pedro finally hopped through the door just as it closed with an airy whoosh. Standing there on AVE 03162, the FC Barcelona delegate Carlos Naval breathed a sigh of relief and looked at his watch.

It was 4.01pm on Saturday afternoon and Barcelona had a match to go to.

Trouble was, that match kicked off in four hours time. Four hundred and eighty-nine kilometres away. Time was ticking. And so it was that Barcelona became Odysseus heading for Ithaca, Jake and Ellwood wearing sunglasses in the dark, Del Griffith finding that those aren't pillows. There were no planes, at least not yet, so trains and automobiles would have to do. It became a mad dash, Lola sprinting across Berlin, desperately trying to reach the Aktiv Markt before Manni pulled a pistol. Only, as well as the thumping sound of Tom Tykwer, the theme to Benny Hill sprang to mind – a sped-up, silly soundtrack punctured by accusation and recrimination.

lmao that this is a real sid lowe opening

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Mickolution posted:

Given their financial situation, those writers will be back soon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

City are owned by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan, a key figure in Abu Dhabi, the leading principality in the seven-strong federation, the United Arab Emirates. Mansour is the fifth son of Fatima bint Mubarak Al Ketbi, known as “Mother of the Sheikhs” since her six sons gained ascendancy over Abu Dhabi 20 years ago. Mansour is the chief adviser to his oldest brother, the UAE president Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed al-Nahyan, acting as both his vice-president and deputy prime minister (by convention, the UAE prime minister is the leader of Dubai). In common with other principalities, such as Monaco, Abu Dhabi is an autocracy. The larger UAE federation is a complex power negotiation between multiple aristocratic stakeholders, governed by both a constitution and by clannish conventions. In this highly politicised environment, Mansour has earned a formidable reputation as a politician and business strategist. Abu Dhabi has the third richest state fund in the world but, unlike Qatar’s ownership of Paris Saint-Germain or Saudi Arabia’s holdings in Newcastle, City are not owned by the state.

ah, you see, City aren't owned by the UAE as a state, they're only owned by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi and president of the UAE's younger brother, who also happens to be the vice president and deputy prime minister of the UAE, so it's fine

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Which idiot wrote that?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Xabi posted:

Which idiot wrote that?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/may/08/manchester-city-ownership-qatar-abu-dhabi

a Man City fan tying himself in knots trying to figure out why his team being owned by billionaire dictators is good but other teams being owned by billionaire dictators is bad

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
jollzwhin really went up in the world once he stopped posting on SA

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

vyelkin posted:

ah, you see, City aren't owned by the UAE as a state, they're only owned by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi and president of the UAE's younger brother, who also happens to be the vice president and deputy prime minister of the UAE, so it's fine

"The sheikh" is a total misnomer, sheikh just means an important family member or leader, it doesn't describe a singular political position.

Xabi posted:

Which idiot wrote that?

It's a purely factual description of some of the people involved in City's ownership and where they fit in to the political ruling class of Abu Dhabi and the UAE, what's idiotic about it? Like it seems obvious to me that the situation is a lot more complex than the UAE directly owning us, look at how many other football teams Emirates airlines are involved in sponsoring for example.

Like I'm not making a value judgment on the morality of the owners or foreign investment/ownership of football teams in general but trying to understand the nuance involved doesn't strike me as idiotic at all and tbh the lot of you seem to be being wilfully ignorant and a little racist.

Like of course there's a laundry list of issues with each of the states mentioned but that surely warrants a more detailed understanding of the specifics of how and why each of them suck rather than 'all Arab owners are exactly the same and terrible'.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

"The sheikh" is a total misnomer, sheikh just means an important family member or leader, it doesn't describe a singular political position.

It's a purely factual description of some of the people involved in City's ownership and where they fit in to the political ruling class of Abu Dhabi and the UAE, what's idiotic about it? Like it seems obvious to me that the situation is a lot more complex than the UAE directly owning us, look at how many other football teams Emirates airlines are involved in sponsoring for example.

Like I'm not making a value judgment on the morality of the owners or foreign investment/ownership of football teams in general but trying to understand the nuance involved doesn't strike me as idiotic at all and tbh the lot of you seem to be being wilfully ignorant and a little racist.

Like of course there's a laundry list of issues with each of the states mentioned but that surely warrants a more detailed understanding of the specifics of how and why each of them suck rather than 'all Arab owners are exactly the same and terrible'.

Lol, are you on the loving take for City?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

:hurr:

Trying to understand the specifics and appreciating the motivations and intentions of different ownership groups doesn't mean I'm defending them ffs.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's not about them being Arab, dude. If Vladimir Putin's younger brother also happened to be the Vice President and Deputy Prime Minister of Russia and he owned a football club, it would be just as stupid for a fan of that club to write an article saying "ah, well technically my club isn't owned by the Russian state so it's all fine"

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

vyelkin posted:

it would be just as stupid for a fan of that club to write an article saying "ah, well technically my club isn't owned by the Russian state so it's all fine"

I read the article and he doesn't seem to be saying it's all fine at all though? There's definitely some City bias in there with how he discusses the way our owners have done their business but pointing out that different ownership groups are different doesn't seem controversial to me.

I've had a front line seat to this poo poo for the last 15 years and I've never felt it was purely a front for the UAE - Abu Dhabi, certainly, but not the whole country.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

I read the article and he doesn't seem to be saying it's all fine at all though? There's definitely some City bias in there with how he discusses the way our owners have done their business but pointing out that different ownership groups are different doesn't seem controversial to me.

I've had a front line seat to this poo poo for the last 15 years and I've never felt it was purely a front for the UAE - Abu Dhabi, certainly, but not the whole country.

So weird that this petro-state is shilling for people to visit their shiny cultural wasteland in an actual wasteland

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Butterfly Valley posted:

Jesus loving christ Chaz

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

It's not about them being Arab, dude. If Vladimir Putin's younger brother also happened to be the Vice President and Deputy Prime Minister of Russia and he owned a football club, it would be just as stupid for a fan of that club to write an article saying "ah, well technically my club isn't owned by the Russian state so it's all fine"

Haven’t there also been investigations that have shown that City is controlled by Abu Dhabi anyway,

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dig up

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I’m convinced and hereby retract my earlier racist post.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Butterfly Valley posted:

right thread

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Source??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://twitter.com/utdcynical/status/1661699797114298373

I assume it'll get deleted https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/468421388869435403/1111293678355492984/Screenshot_20230525-100330.png