Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Honestly, I expected a cut to Cherry doing something.

It just never gets old. Sid imagines a bear in case the audience wasn't entirely sure he was referring to bear bears. I guess the Bros were simultaneously being scammed by Sid but are also his willing cronies and they're wielding... a flashlight, pouches and two swords between three of then. Maybe. Jules does not have time to waste on things like art in her visual medium. Hahahahaha good lord look at that loser on the right. Barely has a face, let alone both arms.

You know it looks like there's a twig on that sword so these guys picked up branches for their murder weapons. Which reminds me, murder and all. So Cricket has two attempted murders on his rap sheet already at minimum(possible forest fire credit), I guess they're just 100% on board with killing now? That makes Bee extra despicable too but this setting is so lame it doesn't even feel dangerous. They're just insanely petty and stupid people to the point of murder if convenient/upset and bad at it to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Murdstone posted:

Andertoons

Tennis ball, obviously. Desert islands have their own sticks, and how are you going to throw a frisbee without ball-and-socket shoulders and opposable thumbs?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

amigolupus posted:

So I guess that's it, then? We don't get any resolution for Grandma Forth acting like an rear end in a top hat or how Sally being so non-confrontational made things worse. Just one strip having her play being a victim in that mess and another strip going back to the status quo of her being critical of everything.

Maybe they'd come back to it after this part with Hil's friend, but it was still an unsatisfying end.

there's absolutely going to be a follow up story of her moving out and into the senior home where we'll pick some of this up

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

That last panel is wonderful.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

amigolupus posted:

So I guess that's it, then? We don't get any resolution for Grandma Forth acting like an rear end in a top hat or how Sally being so non-confrontational made things worse. Just one strip having her play being a victim in that mess and another strip going back to the status quo of her being critical of everything.

Maybe they'd come back to it after this part with Hil's friend, but it was still an unsatisfying end.

this is extremely common in soap-opera style pacing. long-form dramas pivot from plot point to plot point without fully resolving them, it doesn't mean they're "done" with that storyline by any means, just that they want to focus on a different character for a while for now

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

bill belichick?!

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/7-9/50

Archie 4/28-30/50

My best guess is that "Hozay Upright" is a reference to José Iturbi.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Holy poo poo Jughead.
Archie: How do I get out of this?
Jughead: Well you could kill yourself.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 17, 1957)

Is Val trying to break his will, or is he playing the long game and disarming the rest of this dude's band in case they don't play along post duel?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Whatever happened to that former club host guy, the one who crossed the yakuza, got scars across his face, and then started flirting with Rie? Did he ever make a follow-up cameo?

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Kid Fenris posted:

Whatever happened to that former club host guy, the one who crossed the yakuza, got scars across his face, and then started flirting with Rie? Did he ever make a follow-up cameo?
There will be a comic about him (and Rie!) later on in this volume!

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

thisusedyet posted:

Is Val trying to break his will, or is he playing the long game and disarming the rest of this dude's band in case they don't play along post duel?

Val noted that this guy would whine and moan if he was beaten, so I think he's taking advantage of how obvious the guy is to not only beat him and demoralize his men, but also get a bunch of information out of him and plant a really chatty grumbler in the place Val's headed to next.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hostile V posted:

Holy poo poo Jughead.
Archie: How do I get out of this?
Jughead: Well you could kill yourself.

Archie is such a piece of poo poo to Betty.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Is the whole Betty or Veronica thing later? Like how early Snoopy doesn't talk and is a normal dog, but we all mostly know the later Peanuts?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (December 13-15, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (February 14-16, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Depth Charges (September 23, 1914)

As long as we're talking about abrupt story stoppages today, here's an unfortunate turn of events in Little Lefty. (June 27-29, 1938)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Archie is such a piece of poo poo to Betty.

I like to think Jughead gets all raw and brutal on Archie to try to make him realize this is the case.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is the whole Betty or Veronica thing later? Like how early Snoopy doesn't talk and is a normal dog, but we all mostly know the later Peanuts?

My impression from the faintly-remembered Archie comic books I picked up as a kid in the late 80s is that Archie would continue to slightly favor Veronica overall, but he became much less of a jerk to Betty as the decades wore on, and he'd happily go out with either one. (Strangely enough, Betty and Veronica usually appeared to be friends, even though it was rare for either one to display any attraction to anyone besides Archie.)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Cowslips Warren posted:

In early Archie comics the "Betty or Veronica" wasn't really a thing. In the 2015 Archie reboot by Mark Waid, he explains it in his introduction to a reprinted Pep Comics #26 from 1942.

Mark Waid posted:

Betty wins the “romance competition with Veronica this time, but the Betty/Veronica/Archie “Love Triangle” wasn't always as it's commonly thought of today, with the two girls battling over Archie's vacillating affections. In the earlier days of the series, there was no real “competition”, Betty pined for Archie, but Archie had eyes only for Ronnie. If Betty ever felt “led on” by young Mr. Andrews, it was mostly because he treated her more like a pal and less like a girlfriend, leaving her hoping for more. Poor Betty was always the underdog in the early Archie stories, content to play the long game rather than dust it up with the rich girl. It was only more recently that “Betty versus Veronica” became the default, and with all love and respect to the 1960s and 1970s, we decided with this new series you're reading that Archie's eternal “I want them both” indecisiveness was maybe not his most endearing trait, so we've rethought it. (I also can't figure out, and this may be my failing, how to tell stories about two girls who flip back and forth between “best friends” and “romantic rivals” twelve times a day, so that also informs how we're rebuilding everyone's relationship.)

The_Other fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 22, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Anyway, there's a podcast called 9 Chickweed Rage, where two people adjacent to the Bob's Burgers universe read 9CL strips and try really, really hard to not be permanently scarred by the experience. Knock yourself out with that, I guess.

Ah. Another podcast I have to listen to now. That's all I need. *sigh* Subscribed.

Luann

What a bitch

Gil Thorp

Colorist clearly struggling to pay attention

Home Free

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

As long as we're talking about abrupt story stoppages today, here's an unfortunate turn of events in Little Lefty. (June 27-29, 1938)

Huh...they really took her to Nazi Germany.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Oct 4-5, 1950)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 27-28, 1993)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Dunce

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (February 14-16, 1921)

Someone tell the Terrible Tempered Mr Bang what this kid is doing.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Here have some doodles I made tonight:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
^^^ :five::five::five:

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 05, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

readingatwork posted:

I like these

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

readingatwork posted:

:sickos:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That's not how fights at school work. Both parties generally get suspended.

Man I hated working at a middle school. Worst year of my life.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

readingatwork posted:

Delightful.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

1940s Archie goes pretty hard sometimes.

So does 1990 Calvin & Hobbes but it's not as funny :smith:

e: meant to quote the career options one :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

readingatwork posted:

That'll do, R.A.W.

That'll do.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

thisusedyet posted:

I love the idea of them running through every weapon they have and just going oops, welp

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 24, 1957)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
drat, Val took that dude's career instead of his life.

readingatwork posted:

Perfect in every way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail