Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I watched Bringing Out The Dead last night, I really enjoyed it. Nic Cage should be reserved somehow for good directors. Like only people at a Scorsese level should be able to use him in their movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

LORD$ OF WAR

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

L$R$ $F W$R

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I watched Bringing Out The Dead last night, I really enjoyed it. Nic Cage should be reserved somehow for good directors. Like only people at a Scorsese level should be able to use him in their movies.

mathcstick men is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCtYuARcQPg

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

also bad lieutenant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVz0RcDbAp8

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'd watch the gently caress out of LOTR Hee Haw

an' mah six-shooter

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Leaving Las Vegas is the greatest Cage movie and the best part is that you can and be thoroughly amazed by his ACTING and totally bummed out by the sad sad sad film you just saw and then you can just immediately watch another one of his wackier more kinetic performances and that will completely help you forget what a pile of poo poo the world is

Cage is an actor who has the full capacity to put you into an existential despair spiral and then pull you right the gently caress out with nothing in between

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'd watch the gently caress out of LOTR Hee Haw

Only if it's as dark as Horse Apples

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

indigi posted:

for me even if I think he's bluffing he does have a knife to my daughter's throat so he could follow through by accident. you gotta treat it as if he's serious either way

For sure, my complaint isn't that part of their reaction, but their "yes we believe you, we know you're capable of it from all our time together" when he's like "I would totally murder a kid for money, even my own niece"

Maybe that sort of thing was in the flashbacks but got cut for time lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

wild at heart is my favorite cage movie I think. sailor is such a good character

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Leaving Las Vegas is the greatest Cage movie

it's a tie between wild at heart, face/off, adaptation, mandy, and renfield OP

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
The Rock rocks OP

also con air owns

actually it's impossible to find a cage movie that isn't my favorite simultaneously

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

incorrect

incorrect

Leaving Las Vegas is the greatest Cage movie

i'll allow it

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Xaris posted:

actually it's impossible to find a cage movie that isn't my favorite simultaneously

:hmmyes:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gotta stick up for Raising Arizona here

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Leaving Las Vegas is the greatest Cage movie and the best part is that you can and be thoroughly amazed by his ACTING and totally bummed out by the sad sad sad film you just saw and then you can just immediately watch another one of his wackier more kinetic performances and that will completely help you forget what a pile of poo poo the world is

Cage is an actor who has the full capacity to put you into an existential despair spiral and then pull you right the gently caress out with nothing in between

Bringing Out The Dead is like a showcase of how different people deal with an extremely high-stress job. John Goodman has his routine and his plan and the focusing on the structure of each point in his night like what he's getting for dinner is how he gets through it, literally one moment at a time, looking forward to when he's a captain and 'calling the shots.' Ving Rhames has Jesus - he attributes everything good to Jesus, and says everything negative just isn't worth dwelling on. Tom Sizemore embraces the chaos of the job, becoming an adrenaline junkie who doesn't care whether the outcomes of the calls are good or bad.

Through the entire movie, Cage manages to both reflect the energies of these guys while he's with them AND let his own coping strategy kind of permeate through all of it which is punishing himself. He focuses on his mistakes, he is haunted by the ghosts of the patients he failed to save, he subsists on a diet of "coffee and whiskey" according to his partner (while we see him buy food, I don't think we ever actually see him eat), and is subjected to this kind of self-flagellation ritual each night when he comes into work where he demands to be fired by his boss and is promised tomorrow, after one more shift, he will finally be fired. He can't quit because that would mean he stopped trying. But he can't stop trying, so he instead wants to be told that he is not good enough to continue doing his job. His Station Captain treats this ritual as a kind of inside joke, but Cage's character really, truly wants to be Fired so he'll feel justified in all the punishment he's dished out on himself. He just does a really good job playing a guy who is right on the edge of cracking and man is he perfect for this role

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

there are between four and six distinct nicolas cages, so it's a difficult question with many equally valid answers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
also tom sizemore is a really really great douche in Bringing Out The Dead. perfectly captures "co-worker you hate" energy

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bringing Out The Dead is like a showcase of how different people deal with an extremely high-stress job. John Goodman has his routine and his plan and the focusing on the structure of each point in his night like what he's getting for dinner is how he gets through it, literally one moment at a time, looking forward to when he's a captain and 'calling the shots.' Ving Rhames has Jesus - he attributes everything good to Jesus, and says everything negative just isn't worth dwelling on. Tom Sizemore embraces the chaos of the job, becoming an adrenaline junkie who doesn't care whether the outcomes of the calls are good or bad.

Through the entire movie, Cage manages to both reflect the energies of these guys while he's with them AND let his own coping strategy kind of permeate through all of it which is punishing himself. He focuses on his mistakes, he is haunted by the ghosts of the patients he failed to save, he subsists on a diet of "coffee and whiskey" according to his partner (while we see him buy food, I don't think we ever actually see him eat), and is subjected to this kind of self-flagellation ritual each night when he comes into work where he demands to be fired by his boss and is promised tomorrow, after one more shift, he will finally be fired. He can't quit because that would mean he stopped trying. But he can't stop trying, so he instead wants to be told that he is not good enough to continue doing his job. His Station Captain treats this ritual as a kind of inside joke, but Cage's character really, truly wants to be Fired so he'll feel justified in all the punishment he's dished out on himself. He just does a really good job playing a guy who is right on the edge of cracking and man is he perfect for this role

it's an apologia for trad caths

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

This is a good post

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

ArmZ posted:

it's an apologia for trad caths

pretty sure its just regular catholic

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Ving Rhames has Jesus - he attributes everything good to Jesus, and says everything negative just isn't worth dwelling on.

please lord, bring back iiiiiiiiii be bangin, lord!

it's also the definitive tom sizemore role. tom sizemore has never been tom sizemore more than he was tom sizemore in this movie

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

please lord, bring back iiiiiiiiii be bangin, lord!

this scene was so loving good

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

i'll throw in a joke vote for snake eyes while we're on the subject of the various cages nicoli

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's Moonstruck you idiots. that's the best Cage role.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

pretty sure its just regular catholic

exactly what a trad cath would say...

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Xaris posted:

The Rock rocks OP

also con air owns

Knowing is an incredibly terrible movie

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

naw it's face/off

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

:hmmyes:

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Despite what some computer janitors say, I think acting sounds like a pretty lovely gig

The hours and harassment must suck complete poo poo, but pretending to be abe Lincoln or stormtrooper number 5 sounds easier than most labor I've performed.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in high school my friend's favorite movie was Family Man

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Kill the only non-terrible star wars show

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What Cage movies have aged really poorly?

I nominate the weather man

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hell yes. Despite all odds it's one of my favorite movies of all time. I don't think anyone could've played the protagonist better than Nic Cage did. It's also a pretty fun period piece that does a good job of capturing NYC in the early 1990s

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

A.

Dapt.

Tation.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
National Treasure

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I forget what thread posted that Thor video "Sleeping Giant" but I cannot stop listening to this song.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Matchstick men was okay. uh, kick rear end

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

adaptation is the best nic cage movie and he's in it twice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Antonymous posted:

A.

Dapt.

Tation.

👆THIS