Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Shelter
Move resources into secure storage so they don't decay
Strike the earth

In some games, 1 and 3 may be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
With 7days, I've had a lot of luck with having a 3 wide 3 deep trench full of spikes surrounding my base. Reinforce the walls of the trench to cobblestone and it barely ever needs more than minor repairs. The actual digging can take a while so i compromise by keeping my base footprint to no more than 6x6 and building tall

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
In DF-like, I reroll starting map until I get a place with good feng shui and resource.

MythicAlphabet
Mar 19, 2009

How should I know?
It's all Greek to me.

Nyaa posted:

In DF-like, I reroll starting map until I get a place with good feng shui and resource.

:haibrow:

Can't overstate how important an auspicious beginning is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bring in the haruspex and the goat knife.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP5sXVruxBM

Just hit the news with a tag line of Survival Co-Op Zelda meets Valheim. I can't get over how bad the LOD popping is in the early parts and wonder why they didn't just use a Screenrecorder going at 1 FPS and reconstruct it later. But I'll wishlist it anyway!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
That looks good. I like that it's voxel-based.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I am bored at work so have an essay.

In regards to 7DTD and builds : The way the Zombie AI works after many, many, many tweaks makes a lot of sense if you think about it. An obvious path to the player defending will be followed. But zombies are dumb as poo poo. If the path gets too complex, they'll be unable to properly follow it and try to figure out a quicker and easier way to reach you. It's not Tower Defense where you can build an elaborate maze and they'll find the way through; if the maze is too complex they'll just bash a hole through the wall. If you hide on top of a nerd pole they'll bash the base of the pole to knock it down.

So how do you cope?

The same way that people, cities, and countries have coped with defensive battles for millenia. You create defensive diversions, you create lanes of fire, you channel your enemy into specific locations where you concentrate your defenses. You take advantage of the way your enemy thinks in order to use it against them. Humans are amazing at this.

For example, Zombies prefer to attack doors instead of walls. To a zombie, with a mushy zombie brain, doors seem easier to bust down than walls. (WIthin reason) So if you have a fully reinforced steel door (~21k health) surrounded by steel blocks (~10k health) the zombies, being dumb, will attack the door. Granted, if you surround your steel door with wooden blocks (500 health) they'll chew through the wood first because the difference is too big for them to be able to ignore, but otherwise this means you can bait them into attacking where you want them to.

Likewise, if you trap zombies in a pit they'll claw their way out. They can't build so they'll claw the walls until they make a hole they can jump into. But if you make an obvious exit from the pit (Say, a stairway leading out of it... directly into traps and danger) they'll take the obvious exit. That helps prevent them from trying to tunnel in from below. Of course, you can also place down spinning blade traps, electric traps, dart traps, or anything else down in the pit to make it so they're too busy being dead to claw their way out. That's ALWAYS an option.

Spike traps are easy to build but zombies will avoid them... if they can. If they can't they'll charge through them. But spike traps won't last long on horde nights - wooden spike traps will only damage zombies 3 times before breaking, and horde nights (especially with many players) can have dozens or hundreds of zombies attacking you. Does this make them worthless? HELL NO! They're cheap to build so you can use this to guide zombies along paths you want. If you want the zombies to run around your reinforced compound and only attack from 1 area, you put down spikes to encourage that. If a zombie sees a ton of spikes in front of a solid wall and 20 feet away there's an obvious, unprotected entrance that 100% leads to a trap they'll take that entrance every single time. Be aware that kills from Spike Traps don't award any XP though.

If there's obstacles in the way they can get over, they will. Single blocks are tall enough to jump on and still reach you. But zombies have the dexterity of, well, a mobile corpse so while they can and will jump over blocks to get to you, it takes a few moments for their maggot-and-worm ridden brains to realize this. Barbed wire also doesn't block zombies, but it does slow them way down so it's an excellent way to delay. Barbed wire doesn't do much damage so it won't be likely to kill the zombies and steal your XP. It does, however, deteriorate every time a zombie touches it so eventually you'll have to repair or replace it.

Bars, whether made of metal or wood/stone/cement, can be shot through but not moved through. This makes for excellent lines of fire where you and your buddies can safely stand, firing away at the zombies. Just be aware that if you can shoot them, they can shoot you... with projectile vomit. (Fat exploding police show up later on in the game as your gamestage gets higher, and when they do they can shoot back at you)

Put all these together and what do you get?

You build a big base as elaborate and awesome as you want, but you do so in a way that fools the brainless zeds into coming after you in a way you want. Build a moat but make ramps/stairs that give zombies an exit so they don't claw through the dirt to reach you. Build obstacles that delay them as they rush towards you to slow them down so you don't get overwhelmed. Use strong walls, spikes, and other deterrants to force them to come at you from specific areas where you can predict in order to gather them up so they can be molotov'ed and mowed down.

A few tips I like :

1) Build a moat with a path leading to your front door, and a ramp exit near the start of the path. If the path isn't an elaborate maze they'll follow it which delays them and gives you time to shoot. You can scatter barbed wire, 1-meter-high blocks, various explosive mines and such all along the path to slow down the zombies before they can reach you. If they fall off, they'll see the ramp and charge right back up to the path to try again (Remember, if they don't have an exit they'll make one by clawing at the ground!). For some extra hilarity put a robotic sledge on the path somewhere to knock them into the pit directly. At the end of the path, put a hatch down and use it to block the zombies. Hatches are like doors in that their overworked grey matter thinks they can claw through it easier than a wall. But unlike a door (At least in Alpha 20) you can shoot over a hatch. In Alpha 21 you can shoot through damaged doors, but because they have to be damaged for that to work hatches will provide more defense with higher health.

2) Don't like moats? No problem! Build walls and place down spike traps to funnel zombies to where you want to fight them. Put doors in locations where you can overlook the door with turrets, or place down bars you can shoot through, or use murder holes you can toss pipe bombs or molotovs down. If you don't funnel the zombies into specific spots they'll attack any part of your walls and if that happens you will have to run around the entire thing patching up damaged spots otherwise you could have multiple breaches in multiple places that lets you get overrun.

3) Plan for fallback positions if your defenses are breached. Sometimes you forget to replace spikes after a horde night. Sometimes a zombie attacks from a spot you overlooked, and finds a weakness you didn't see. Sometimes zombies just get so overwhelmed by everything going on they bash on a block nearby because they're frustrated they aren't eating delicious manflesh. Eventually things break, plans fail, and if you don't have anywhere to fall back to you can be up poo poo creek without a paddle. Make plans for that. Build fallback rooms, always have tons of medicine on hand, and always watch your back. Never trap yourself in a situation you can't get out of. Zombies can't jump but you can, so having an emergency ditch with a getaway motorcycle never hurts. You can jump the ditch, the zombies can't, so it can delay them a bit while you make a run for it.

4) Robotic Sledges have an EXTREMELY high chance to knock zombies off their feet. Put them at the tops of ladders, near pits, and in other places where they can delay zombies. They don't do much damage but every zombie that's currently flat on its rear end is one not clawing through your defenses, and that gives you time to deal with the others. As a delaying tactic it's first rate.

5) Eventually as you survive longer, stronger and more dangerous zombies show up. Vultures will attack your base from above, so you'll need overhead protection. Ideally some traps or something up there because they'll claw DOWN through the roof to dine on your intestines. Spider zombies can jump towards you, so elevated catwalks and gaps don't always protect you. Zombie police can fire ranged projectiles at you which can pass through bars as easily as your bullets do, and when low on health they explode which can damage blocks and destroy defenses. When they show up concentrate fire on them rapidly to kill them before they explode. Lastly, 'demolishers' are the toughest zombies in the game and EXTREMELY dangerous. They deal a TON of damage to blocks, and have a glowing green light on their chest. Shoot the light and it starts flashing red, then they explode like cops but with FAR more damage. This both can and will absolutely tear massive holes in your base. Unlike cops they ONLY explode when that spot is shot, so if you're careful never to hit it you won't trigger the explosion.

6) Robotic junk turrets are a godsend for base defense because their ammo is crazy easy to make (Requires iron and nothing else) and they don't have to be powered at all. They fire quickly, can be modded with weapon mods (IE : Put a full auto trigger on it and it fires faster. Put a brace on and it degrades slower, and with a drum magazine it can hold a ton more ammo). They also grant full XP for any zombies they kill, unlike traps which grant up to 50% xp. The downsides are that they have to be reloaded manually by picking them up, reloading them, then dropping them down. Also you can only have at most 2 active if you have full points in Robotics Expert. On the flip side you have SMG and shotgun turrets you can craft. They do require power, they grant less XP based on your advanced engineering skill, and their ammo is much more expensive (They use regular 9mm bullets for the SMG and shotgun shells for the Shotgun turrets). On the plus side you can have as many active as you have power for, you can reload them very quickly without picking them up and replacing them. Turrets all track enemies automatically and can fire through bars. All turrets can potentially trigger demolisher explosions, as all turrets aim for center of mass.

7) Other traps are also brutally effective. Electric fences and blade traps are powerful defenses. The fences deal damage over time and drastically slow down enemies, but every time the fence triggers it takes a bit of damage. A horde will eventually break the fences so be prepared to fix them after the horde is dealt with. Blade traps take damage when they deal damage, but they hit hard and fast over a huge area. Both grant reduced XP when they kill zombies, but since they kill them so fast you still get tons of XP coming in. Neither one triggers demolisher explosions. Dart Traps are blocks that fire out darts in a straight line. The darts themselves do less damage than blade traps or turrets but they never degrade, and they don't damage blocks they hit. Darts require just iron to craft so they're a good alternative to junk turrets. They also don't set off demolisher explosions.

I find that setting up elaborate bases and testing them against hordes to be one of the most enjoyable parts of the game. It requires tons of work, hours and hours of collecting the resources, lots of planning and setup but the end goal is absolutely fantastic with huge death traps that mow down zombies in droves. Watching a well-designed base completely melt an incoming horde is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game.

khy fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 4, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Still plugging away at Stranded: Deep. There is a long-time bug where the potatoes you need to finish the game begin to rot and disappear as soon as they're loaded into memory for the first time. Luckily, I saved two in a chest and never got rid of them when they spoiled, so I was able to plant them. Now I'm just sitting around waiting for 8 of them to grow in two farm plots that take 48 hours to produce.

It's a strange game. It's fairly well-polished and has some of the nicest and scariest weather effects I've seen in a game, but there is zero reason to ever visit more than one or two islands. There's no variety at all.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Still plugging away at Stranded: Deep. There is a long-time bug where the potatoes you need to finish the game begin to rot and disappear as soon as they're loaded into memory for the first time. Luckily, I saved two in a chest and never got rid of them when they spoiled, so I was able to plant them. Now I'm just sitting around waiting for 8 of them to grow in two farm plots that take 48 hours to produce.

It's a strange game. It's fairly well-polished and has some of the nicest and scariest weather effects I've seen in a game, but there is zero reason to ever visit more than one or two islands. There's no variety at all.

That's ultimately where I landed on it. The early going is pretty neat (I think it's fair to say the early going tends to be the highlight of most survival games) but once you're able to move around from Island to Island freely you realise how cut-and-paste everything is.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My friend and I made it till like day 38 or so w/ Darkness Falls before we got tired of the demons. For whatever reason their fireballs aren't rendering for either of us so it's just a horrible experience. Performance has been total rear end too, for no reason.

Now we're doing Undead Legacy w/ horde night turned off and considerable boosts to wandering hordes. It's really good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am playing The Raft and enjoying it quite a bit, I like all the stuff coming to you instead of you having to go hunt it down. My only complaint is the UI is too simple, doesn't seem to be anyway to use stuff out of inventory, have to put it on the (unnumbered) hotbar first. Item and inventory management not good, stabbing the shark, however, is very good

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Raft is a super chill experience that I'll always recommend either solo or co-op. One day I'll make it past bear island.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 8, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's kind of like, what if we made the whole game out of the seablock challenge

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Make sure to eventually build a giant diagonal ramp out of leaf slanted roofs. It's like a rite of passage.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

It's kind of like, what if we made the whole game out of the seablock challenge

the greatest thing about raft is that it's something of a basebuilder surviver, but unlike all the minecrafts and valheims, you bring your base to content, rather than have to travel 3 billion miles both ways every time you want something new and i'd love to see more of that, personally

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I heard it's relatively short? but I kept getting my raft stuck on an island and starting over. I'm going good now, though, got my smelters going, my seawater distilling, and my potatoes roasting. I thought you had to find bait before you could fish so until I watched a beginner's guide I was doing the whole thing with no fish and no shark bait. Lot easier when you can catch fish.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Does Raft play well on console?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I personally didn't get the allure of Raft. It was very relaxing and chill for the first few hours, but then the islands all became extremely samey. I got to that island that has the shop when you start using the radio and then I think I just quit on the game. The shark attacks were incessant, but it became trivial to parry attack the thing to death. It only took time and patience and after the 17th Shark Head Helmet, I lost interest in fighting back and then it would just slowly chip away at my base. Maybe I was doing something wrong?

I'm really excited for the 7DTD update. I messaged a friend from years back and asked him if he'd be down to play and he said yes!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
you can use iron to reinforce the edges of your raft and then the shark ignores it entirely

zoux posted:

I heard it's relatively short? but I kept getting my raft stuck on an island and starting over. I'm going good now, though, got my smelters going, my seawater distilling, and my potatoes roasting. I thought you had to find bait before you could fish so until I watched a beginner's guide I was doing the whole thing with no fish and no shark bait. Lot easier when you can catch fish.

it's not very long yeah. my biggest issue with it was the speed at which food/thirst drains though i think there's an option for that now? but other than that it's a neat little indie game

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Truga posted:

you can use iron to reinforce the edges of your raft and then the shark ignores it entirely

it's not very long yeah. my biggest issue with it was the speed at which food/thirst drains though i think there's an option for that now? but other than that it's a neat little indie game

The settings aside you're intended to start making the shakes and meals which gives you extra hunger/thirst bar that drains way, way slower.

I couldn't actually comment on the length of the game because I've never actually finished it, the co-op buddy I generally play with can't quite stick with it lol so I've stopped on bear island multiple times now. May just push through and see the end myself eventually.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the good foods seem stupidly rare to get so i just stuck to beet/potato soup in the end lmao

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seeing some comparisons between the Raft and Survival: The Fountain of Youth, anyone played much of the latter?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I played the demo for Fountain of Youth and was eager to pick it up, but it got sidelined due to another campaign on Vintage Story for now. I will return to it after a while and I'd also like to know how the expanded on the demo and how much there is to do.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
I beat Raft with a friend and had a good time but that was mostly not due to the game as it really does not respect your time. Everything is a miserable grind and we were ragging on the game constantly for the back half. Ended up cheating in a bunch of titanium to make things more tolerable.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Truga posted:

the greatest thing about raft is that it's something of a basebuilder surviver, but unlike all the minecrafts and valheims, you bring your base to content, rather than have to travel 3 billion miles both ways every time you want something new and i'd love to see more of that, personally

Certainly somebody has done an airship survival game. I see there is something new coming out, but yet another post-apoc technological game?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

Certainly somebody has done an airship survival game. I see there is something new coming out, but yet another post-apoc technological game?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1641960/Forever_Skies/

That's the only one I'm aware of, though I did find this while searching.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/647740/Airmen/

And if you want other types of airship games like top-down or RTS or turn-based, etc. then this list has a fair amount.

https://store.steampowered.com/curator/25526969-Airship-Admirers/

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Seeing some comparisons between the Raft and Survival: The Fountain of Youth, anyone played much of the latter?
I played through the EA storyline content. It's mostly fun, though some of the progression is nonsensical and it gets grindy as poo poo pretty quickly. They really need to tune how many resources things take and the respawn rate of those resources. Exploration is good and it's quite pretty.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

khy posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1641960/Forever_Skies/

That's the only one I'm aware of, though I did find this while searching.

they had a demo for this in one of the recent next fests and it was honestly pretty neat. scratched the raft itch and didn't seem nearly as grindy as void train.

if the demo's not up anymore there should be a bunch of playthroughs on youtube

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

There’s one called Aloft with floating islands. The demo was neat and seemed promising.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The major new State of Decay 2 patch is live. It completely overhauls the plague heart/infestation system.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

zoux posted:

The major new State of Decay 2 patch is live. It completely overhauls the plague heart/infestation system.

Hell yeah, got this preloaded and will be diving in with a friend tonight hopefully. Now, State of Decay 3 when? :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HelloSailorSign posted:

technically, space engineers fits this if you start on a planet and just use your base to mine and launch to space :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

explosivo posted:

Hell yeah, got this preloaded and will be diving in with a friend tonight hopefully. Now, State of Decay 3 when? :v:
Almost no info has been released about it but the announcement trailer's wilderness setting, it really gave me the impression it would be more survival focused than the previous games. Probably just wishful thinking. They did prominently feature a zombie animal though, so more enemy diversity could be fun.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I haven’t played SoD2 since it launched, is the multiplayer still that weird drop-in that’s super restrictive?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bussamove posted:

I haven’t played SoD2 since it launched, is the multiplayer still that weird drop-in that’s super restrictive?

They made it better over time but yeah you are still bringing in someone from your community to whoever you're joining.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

explosivo posted:

it was announced too early, is stuck in dev hell indefinitely, and is likely the main reason we're still getting SoD2 updates

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bussamove posted:

The worst part of this to me was that when I was playing in another person's server, the characters I'd swap out wouldn't gradually get over their (not full, meter-still-building) blood plague when I switched off them. I had a proper facility at home, and the host had a proper facility to treat it, but eventually I ran out of people to swap off of and everyone had like 50% blood plague built up and I needed to stop. :(

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SCUM got a new patch 0.85 which changes some of the basic mechanics (loot, hunting and cooking rework + other stuff like new sentries and SMOKING finally) so it might be a good time to check it out again.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/513710/view/3717202192680140953

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Got into Vintage Story thanks to this thread. Been having a blast with it, despite how difficult it can be, over the last 2 weeks or so. Added a few mods to improve the experience a little but nothing egregious. The most useful one has been Yeet, where pressing Y will launch whatevers in your hand off into the distance, which has been so handy for 'what am I going to do with all these dirt blocks?' moments.