Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

crusty posted:

Why was the Awful Tales thread itself locked? Probe/ban people who break the rules and let the thread move on.

Just glanced at that thread, and it looks very bad. Sorry OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

dee eight posted:

you got my name wrong. there are no capital letters in my username

it's dee as in dee's and eight as in ur mom eight dee's nuts

get it right next time

:drat:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Awful tales gave us megaman ultra x and should be reopened as a new thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3917502&pagenumber=3&perpage=40&userid=0#post503929740

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I read through a few pages before it went to hell and it seemed ok to me. Not my cup of tea but harmless.

If you want to reopen it as a new thread go ahead. My main rules are no horny and no dragon dicks or whatever the hell happened there

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean
Thanks, yeah it's mostly harmless, actually some funny gems in there for those willing to wade through.

The dragon stuff was pretty out of the blue (unless, apparently, you were following certain other threads).

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Just glanced at that thread, and it looks very bad. Sorry OP

I'll probably trawl through and link a few of the best stories to kick off a new thread in a couple of days if no one else creates it first.

They will all be very bad

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

crusty posted:

I'll probably trawl through and link a few of the best stories to kick off a new thread in a couple of days if no one else creates it first.

They will all be very bad

Nice.

Amish Navy
Jul 8, 2009
Can the front page able to be in dark mode or darker? I would appreciate it.

Also, why hasnt it been updated? Recommend updating again if you want younger and/or new subscribers to have any idea what the gently caress this dumb gay forum is.

thanks for the entertainment these long years!

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Amish Navy posted:

Also, why hasnt it been updated? Recommend updating again if you want younger and/or new subscribers to have any idea what the gently caress this dumb gay forum is.

lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i believe jeffrey has a personal assistant working on reminding him to think about fixing the front page as we speak

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
There is never gonna be another front page article just set it to loving goatse and call it a day already

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

They could literally just turn the front page into a weird twitter and "best of something awful" aggregator and it would likely be interesting enough to not look like the website is defunct.

edit: nice the goatse avatar got blanked, thanks mods

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Nooner posted:

There is never gonna be another front page article just set it to loving goatse and call it a day already

I'll do it. I'll write the next apology to furrys article for the front page.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Amish Navy posted:

https://i.imgur.com/hBrm17z.mp4

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:perfect:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Amish Navy posted:

Probably better posted in SAD op

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Is it more complicated than making a thread stating that writers are wanted, CLEARLY STATE THE PAY, then ask that portfolios be forwarded to a special admin email? Was there like a writers workshop that the staff writers used to communicate in? I'm trying to think how Cracked did it during the good years.

e: Hire the cracked people that didn't get hired by latenight, Michael Swaim owns

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Yes it is more complicated than that

From what astral has said (and this is nothing he hasn't said publicly) the front page is a Rube Goldberg machine from hell. For some unknown reason it was connected to the forums, it ran on a janky rear end old version of PHP, it was riddled with insane security flaws (iirc) - it's a miracle it survived as long as it did and that it didn't take SA down with it. Couple that with radium's tendency to either not comment on the code or give some vague explanation about what the code does and it becomes real difficult real quickly to understand how this thing works. Plus you have to remember it's been through something like 4-5 developers? Each one with their own belief of how the code does and should function.

From my understanding astral has had to tear it down to the base foundation and rebuild it. You also have to remember that (I think) he has a day job - this isn't full-time work. He's doing what he can in the time he has

The technical debt on this site is, for a lack of a better word, insane. It's Everest sized debt.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, I had no idea there were technical issues re: the front page. Perhaps we could start a Square Space account and post new content there with a link back to the forums?

Somethingisawful.com could finally rise, Doc Evil's prophecy returns to us

e: So no Michael Swaim? :(

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Stop patching the site and do a full rewrite. May need to tighten up the purse straps after they disable avatar purchases for other users but it should only be, what, 35-50k a month for a staff of 4 devs? How's the budget look this year? Insane rereg guy keeping us in the green? Gonna need a runway of at least 2 years.

e: guess we'll need an engineering manager too. Seth you ready for the big leagues?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we can pay the writers with exposure. any volunteers to do the exposing?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If you're dumb enough to put stuff I write up on your website I will gladly write for free.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Smugworth posted:

Stop patching the site and do a full rewrite. May need to tighten up the purse straps after they disable avatar purchases for other users but it should only be, what, 35-50k a month for a staff of 4 devs? How's the budget look this year? Insane rereg guy keeping us in the green? Gonna need a runway of at least 2 years.

e: guess we'll need an engineering manager too. Seth you ready for the big leagues?

been saying this

pacerwpg
Apr 18, 2023

Smugworth posted:

We can do it in React.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

If you're dumb enough to put stuff I write up on your website I will gladly write for free.

Same tbh

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Writers have it hard enough, scabs.

Where's da gad drat Teamsters?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Smugworth posted:

CEO level thinking here. Maybe scrubworth is onto somethin. :thunk:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Photoshop Friday. Balenciaga Tuesday. How hard can it be?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

pacerwpg posted:

We can do it in React.

thats probably an improvement

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

Writers have it hard enough, scabs.

Where's da gad drat Teamsters?

Trust me, I'll show everyone why real writers are worth the money.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I haven't done web dev in like a decade but how the gently caress is it that much of a mess that nothing can be done? Like ffs just archive it and redirect to a goddamn WordPress blog for new articles or something lmao

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Amish Navy posted:

Astrals working on it, saving all of sa's images from the imgurlocalypse took precedence though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nooner posted:

I haven't done web dev in like a decade but how the gently caress is it that much of a mess that nothing can be done? Like ffs just archive it and redirect to a goddamn WordPress blog for new articles or something lmao

Apparently it's real bad, but yeah. Astral does get things done so I trust him.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Apparently it's real bad, but yeah. Astral does get things done so I trust him.

Ive heard this exact line somewhere very similar to this very place b4. Not to dig on the coders or anything. We've been burned a bunch in the past

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Nooner posted:

It wouldn't be sa if it wasn't incredibly convoluted

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009
Can't find the thread for the Imgur archiving project, has gotten some press it seems and also some people who think the images should disappear
https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/8/23713128/something-awful-imgur-download-caper-digital-preservation-photo-hosting

The only way to guarantee hosting is to pay for it. I hotlinked 4 gifs to this site and the next morning I had 80Gb of traffic.

Someone did link my photos once and it is still the most visits my site has ever gotten.

No-one seems to want to go off the socials except for specific "hobby" review sites that are forbidden everywhere else.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Tim Chuma posted:

Can't find the thread for the Imgur archiving project

it's in its own subforum of the tech forum

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Nooner posted:

Same. Rename the page for a day and if nothing else on the site breaks then you're golden.

I can't even imagine an architecture that could be so screwed... Are other parts of the site loading the front page in some hidden iframe??

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

redirect to zombo.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

redirect to zombo.com

Lol yes