Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

AcidCat posted:

And there's a modicum of shimmying in the Star War. A modicum!

People shimmy on ledges in some really important scenes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I guess you can at least rationalize The Force helping you climb and jump all over the place, but I'm still sick of this stuff.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Jedi Knight (2?)'s Nar Shaddaa level is still the far and away nadir of Star Wars platforming, no matter what's in these new games.

gohuskies has a new favorite as of 00:05 on May 9, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AcidCat posted:

I must have missed the SW show or movie where the characters spend a good chunk of time crawling up vertical surfaces, shimmying along ledges, running along walls, etc.

Obviously your post sets an impossible standard and I was never arguing the games are some kind of 1:1 recreation but I would be interested to know if there's any wall-running in Star Wars! That's the only one I can't think of an example for off the top of my head. I know the OT pretty well but not all the rest.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

gohuskies posted:

Jedi Knight (2?)'s Nar Shaddaa level is still the far and away nadir of Star Wars platforming, no matter what's in these new games.

Are you talking about Star Wars IV-VI: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast? That level is hilarious. You finally get your lightsaber and force powers and then immediately have to play a series of levels where they're nigh on worthless. It's a testament to how good that game gets once it finally gets good that it's remembered so fondly.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

gohuskies posted:

People shimmy on ledges in some really important scenes!

Obi-Wan shutting down the tractor beam, the Death Star gunners sitting right next to the ledge...

Really, the original trilogy might actually be the most people shimmy in movies.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Are you talking about Star Wars IV-VI: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast? That level is hilarious. You finally get your lightsaber and force powers and then immediately have to play a series of levels where they're nigh on worthless. It's a testament to how good that game gets once it finally gets good that it's remembered so fondly.

it's a callback to A New Hope where Luke trains with his lightsaber and then it is totally useless for the whole movie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The slides in Fallen Order feel really game-y in a way that the rest of the platforming doesn't.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Isn't a lot of that stuff like scaling walls, squeezing through narrow corridors, and sliding down long slopes just hiding load times?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The game has a level of jank that's pretty consistent to me. The jumping and the combat and the sliding smooth. Felt like I had better control of lightsaber combat back in the old Outcast/Academy/whatever it was called multiplayer days.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Crowetron posted:

Isn't a lot of that stuff like scaling walls, squeezing through narrow corridors, and sliding down long slopes just hiding load times?

Corridors often are, I *think* the slides might be but I don't remember hearing a definitive answer when it's come up in the past. They did trim down the slides quite a lot in the sequel, which was also developed with the current console generation's SSDs more in mind, whether or not that means anting

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

gohuskies posted:

gently caress you for reminding me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Crowetron posted:

Load times are an obvious reason for them but they’re also very commonly used as zone breakpoints so you can tell the game “stop handling AI and scripts for the place you just left”.

They’re still pretty likely to hang around even with SSDs becoming more of a standard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I first played Fallen Order on a pretty low-specs machine and the slides were some of the times it struggled the most, so if they were there to help loading times it didn't work.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I feel bad because I’ve tried to player Jedi Outcast 7 times since the 90s and I’ve bounced off it every time.

I despise the level design, the story is basically hunt a space dinosaur, and the gameplay just doesn’t really hold up.

I played through Bespin and the game never really got good so I’m curious when the actual good parts are.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
^^I'm just nostalgic for playing MP for the first time over a modem before school and getting absolutely murked by people who modded their character model to be a health pack

E: and ejecting people into the bespin sky to die. But that was more flinging them up than dragging them down

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Honestly I think Fallen Order and Survivor feature some of the least offensive shimmying in any game that features shimmying.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shimmy shimmy ya
Shimmy yam shimmy ye
Off on a natural charge use the force
Yeah, from the home of the Jedis Bespin squad

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
I'm three bosses in to Returnal, and I have yet to find a gun I actually like using. Two launchers, a shotgun, a pistol, an AR, and an LMG/SMG (not sure which one it's closer to) and none of them feel any good to use.

And my problem with most FPS roguelikes is that eventually you get to a point where something one shot kills you. It feels like a very anticlimactic end to a run when you just drop dead with no warning. It'd be nice if the devs of these games could find a way to increase difficulty other than "enemies have more health and do more damage."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Electropylon Driver carried me through the entire second half of the game. And the tower.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dewgy posted:

Load times are an obvious reason for them but they’re also very commonly used as zone breakpoints so you can tell the game “stop handling AI and scripts for the place you just left”.

They’re still pretty likely to hang around even with SSDs becoming more of a standard.

And on a less technical note developers like them because it gives them a bit of set time where the characters can exposit without risk of the player getting into a fight and drowning out the exposition/finding a shortcut and getting to the next paoint quicker and cutting off the exposition.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

SiKboy posted:

And on a less technical note developers like them because it gives them a bit of set time where the characters can exposit without risk of the player getting into a fight and drowning out the exposition/finding a shortcut and getting to the next paoint quicker and cutting off the exposition.

Everyone should just handle it the way Insomniac did in Spider-Man - have the player character throw out an "Oops, hold that thought!" when they enter combat/enter an area event trigger, and then start the exposition dump again when the player leaves that area/state with some kind of "Now, where were we?" dialogue line. Then, they don't have to worry about when and where exposition happens or if the player temporarily interrupts it to go do something more interesting in the moment. (Though, if there's only one line left to go in that dialogue chain, they can probably just dump it and move on to the next thing; it was always weird for Spidey to stop a call early to beat the holy hell out of some random bad guys only to call Aunt May back just to say goodbye immediately and hang up again.)

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I suspect that probably isn't quite as simple as it seems to implement.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

God of War does it as well. Lots of "now where we?" when Mimir continues one of his tales after you get back into the boat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Characters should get frustrated and refuse to tell you their stories after being interrupted too many times.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Characters should get frustrated and refuse to tell you their stories after being interrupted too many times.

Wasn't there a game where you could frustrate a character enough that he would be too disgusted to even fight you, thus skipping a boss fight? I wanna say that happened in Alpha Protocol, but it's been a long time since I played that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

exquisite tea posted:

Those are easter eggs in some games.
I am watching a trivia focuses lp of fallout 3 right now and just found out that the mayor of little lamplight actually refuses to interact with you if you enter and exit conversation too often.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Crowetron posted:

Wasn't there a game where you could frustrate a character enough that he would be too disgusted to even fight you, thus skipping a boss fight? I wanna say that happened in Alpha Protocol, but it's been a long time since I played that.

If you were a total dick to everyone then he would fight you, but if you were suave/professional for most of the game then a dick in that conversation he wouldn't fight you because he knew you were trying to bait him into a fight.

Alpha protocol was so drat good

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Jedi Survivor doesn't auto save at all as far as I can tell. And it crashes often on the Series S. I cleaned out a large cave full of collectibles and the fuckin game crashed when I was 20 feet away from a meditation point. Just destroyed half an hour of progress.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

If you were a total dick to everyone then he would fight you, but if you were suave/professional for most of the game then a dick in that conversation he wouldn't fight you because he knew you were trying to bait him into a fight.

Alpha protocol was so drat good

He's okay with assholes, even if he doesn't like them as much as professionals. It's suave people who really get under his skin.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm going through Fallen Order now and I don't know how far into it I am, maybe a fifth, but the audio has desynced from all cutscenes. And I was basically playing it for the story :smith:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Lone Badger posted:

He's okay with assholes, even if he doesn't like them as much as professionals. It's suave people who really get under his skin.

It's important to note that reason for this is that while Suave is supposed to be the "James Bond" option they instead created the Sterling Archer Simulator

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

JackSplater posted:

I'm three bosses in to Returnal, and I have yet to find a gun I actually like using. Two launchers, a shotgun, a pistol, an AR, and an LMG/SMG (not sure which one it's closer to) and none of them feel any good to use.

And my problem with most FPS roguelikes is that eventually you get to a point where something one shot kills you. It feels like a very anticlimactic end to a run when you just drop dead with no warning. It'd be nice if the devs of these games could find a way to increase difficulty other than "enemies have more health and do more damage."

I had the most fun when the game blessed me with ARs that had boosts to hit like trucks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Opopanax posted:

It's important to note that reason for this is that while Suave is supposed to be the "James Bond" option they instead created the Sterling Archer Simulator

And his entire world-view is challenged by someone in the dangerous world of espionage being this stupid and yet somehow not dead yet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Understanding why I'm currently annoyed at Warhammer: Total War takes a bit of explaining of unintuitive game mechanics.

Each playable faction in the game has a system of hospitable 'climates' on the map, divided into hospitable, inhospitable, and uninhabitable. Hospitable means you can settle there/take cities there and own them with no penalties. Inhospitable climates penalize you for living there, workable but irritating. Uninhabitable makes it extremely questionable if you want to own territory there at all. Even within a given race, different factions you can play may have different climate preferences. The idea is to shape and direct the player's expansion in particular directions and away from others.

Factions within a race can 'confederate' other factions of that race through diplomacy, peacefully annexing them into the dominant faction. The dominant faction's mechanics are then transmitted down to the junior partner. Including climate preferences.

So what has happened in my game is that I'm playing as Nagarythe, the green/brown/black faction of high elves. Unlike all the other high elf factions, Nagarythe's home climate is tundra. Nagarythe is supposed to be off invading the north, not playing political games in the high elf homeland of Ulthuan which is mostly temperate climate. I did so with great enthusiasm, until I finished my intended early game goals. I still needed to expand, and noticed that another high elf faction, Avelorn (the bright green/gold/red faction in the screenshot) was willing to confederate with me. Avelorn had a bunch of good territory, including in the heart of Ulthuan, so I annexed them.

Except all of Nagarythe's mechanics have transmitted down to Avelorn. While on the one hand this means that Avelorn's leader Alarielle the Radiant is now a sneaky stabby master of stealth like all Nagarythe lords are, it also means that in all of Avelorn's territory, including their former capital, everyone in Avelorn has suddenly decided that they like tundra and not temperate climates. So my political annexation of Avelorn means that these previously super wealthy and productive provinces are now being hit with lots of penalties as the people of Avelorn take up brooding in the cold en masse.

It's livable, and confederating Avelorn was worth it simply for getting Alarielle as a new general, but still. You'd think a simple political realignment like this wouldn't change where the people of Avelorn like to live simply because they're now politically subordinate to Nagarythe.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

And his entire world-view is challenged by someone in the dangerous world of espionage being this stupid and yet somehow not dead yet.
Uh I really need to replay Alpha Protocol.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm close to the end of Octopath Traveller, which has been fun so far, just doing the chapter 4s for each person. While some of them have been really satisfying (the thief ending owned) what gives me pause is that there's going to have to be a big grinding session later to get everyone to a point where they can survive the true final boss. I am enjoying finding really good equipment in the final dungeons though, although my GOD the fights for the optional secret jobs are super hard. They have at least twice the HP of the chapter 4 bosses. Also Haanit's final dungeon is such a maze to explore. There are some chests that I cannot find my way to at all.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

grittyreboot posted:

Jedi Survivor doesn't auto save at all as far as I can tell. And it crashes often on the Series S. I cleaned out a large cave full of collectibles and the fuckin game crashed when I was 20 feet away from a meditation point. Just destroyed half an hour of progress.

It wasn't doing this on PC but then they patched it and now it is. It's unplayable because I can't get the game running long enough to actually progress. Not that I'd be crazy about playing the game in that state anyway.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I’m playing NEO: The World Ends with You on PS5 (since it was on the game pass equivalent), and I keep getting annoying controller drift. I thought this might have been my controller getting worn but it doesn’t happen in any other game, and I’m convinced it’s a game bug caused by it accidentally storing the controller position when you load a new map or cutscene.

This isn’t really a fun or interesting post I just mainly wanted to see if this happened to anyone else and if so how you fixed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve been picking up Monster Hunter again and I’m not sure if the average competency of players has gone down, but I’ve been losing a lot of quests due to other players fainting.

That on its own is annoying as some of these end game fights can take 20-30 mins but to really add insult to injury is that the game slashes your rewards based on how many times players have fainted, so the same hunt with 1 faint pays out more than one with 2 faints.

This means, when the pubbies die for a third time I am rewarded for 20 minutes of effort with 5 zenny. I have over a billion zenny.

You also don’t get poo poo for your Hunter/Master Rank which is the biggest grind in the game.