Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Rules question - am I reading the rules for the Beasts of Chaos special heroic actions right that I can get three heroic actions in my Hero Phase?

One of the generic ones, one of the special Beasts ones on the field in addition, and one of the special Beasts ones from off the board?

I was playing it as only having the two actions, but apparently I could have been yanking a lot more units out of bodyguard range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's kind of incredible how not just Mantic but other would-be GW killers like Warmahordes, Flames of War, Malifaux, Infinity, etc decided to nosedive directly into the worst of GW bullshit just as GW started to dig itself out

What did Malifaux do? I actually rather like it, but only got involved in it recently.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What did Malifaux do? I actually rather like it, but only got involved in it recently.

I haven't heard anything major either and I actually played a little bit of Malifaux during its 2nd Edition with my Seamus crew. All I can think of is their failed launch of The Other Side which was supposed to be their larger wargame but thats hardly "the worst of the GW bullshit" since all that happened was they took a shot on something and lost

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Malifaux did some rapid-fire edition changes and a ton of mini-expansions which just amounted to bloat. But there was also a massive increase in model price to accommodate the switch to hard plastic.

The plastic kits were absolutely dreadful and expensive-to-produce plastic kits. But the worst was the FOMO milking limited-edition runs. Which were priced high because, as a limited run, they had fewer opportunities to recoup the high costs. Eventually they caught on and instead of unique poses or size variations, they just cast the regular kits in translucent plastic or unusual colors.

It's wild that no company can hold onto goodwill for more than a few years without going into a stupidity meltdown. Warlord and Osprey maybe? They seem to be doing ok!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Covermeinsunshine posted:

You call that slow I just bought wyrdhollow. Only thing that saves my wallet this month is that gallowfall is gone already but this warcry box is must have for me

I tried to get Wyrdhollow, but one area GW store was out (the one having a store anniversary, so I ended up not getting any of the tiered rewards, I might try for them when the other store has its anniversary in November), the other was closed, the independent store in between them didn't get theirs in yet. I am going to have to track down Gallowfall, and I've been tempted by both recent Warcry boxes but I think I'll wait and get just the vampires when they're released alone next week, and maybe the same for the Flesheaters.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Anyone here got Kragnos? A friend of mine has a line on getting him NOS for about 70% MSRP but he's also uh, not the most patient person when it comes to assembly. He's fine assembling but certain GW nightmare sculpts do not work well. if Kragnos generally okay a job to assemble or is he a horrific nightmare?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
drat its almost like its not just one company but such behavior is intrinsic to the very structure of the global economic system.

Still though, shame about Wyrd since I always liked their poo poo.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The plastics were, and I'm not exaggerating here, hatefully designed to punish the hobbyist.

e:

moths fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 8, 2023

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

moths posted:

Malifaux did some rapid-fire edition changes and a ton of mini-expansions which just amounted to bloat. But there was also a massive increase in model price to accommodate the switch to hard plastic.

The plastic kits were absolutely dreadful and expensive-to-produce plastic kits. But the worst was the FOMO milking limited-edition runs. Which were priced high because, as a limited run, they had fewer opportunities to recoup the high costs. Eventually they caught on and instead of unique poses or size variations, they just cast the regular kits in translucent plastic or unusual colors.

It's wild that no company can hold onto goodwill for more than a few years without going into a stupidity meltdown. Warlord and Osprey maybe? They seem to be doing ok!

None of this is true. Malifaux doesn’t do FOMO models; they have alternative sculpts that regularly come up for sale again and again. These aren’t just translucent plastic, but alternative themed sculpts. They switched to third edition like 4 years ago and have stayed on that edition ever since, releasing one expansion book per year. The models switched to plastic from white metal at the same time as the rest of the industry ditched white metal and the prices have remained pretty much constant; you can get an entire playable crew for less than $150.

I don’t know where you’re getting your information. About the only misstep Wyrd has made was launching The Other Side just as GW games were becoming non terrible, resulting in the game being basically stillborn.

Edit: for reference, this is what the sculpts look like for the most recently released core box:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

moths posted:

But the worst was the FOMO milking limited-edition runs. Which were priced high because, as a limited run, they had fewer opportunities to recoup the high costs. Eventually they caught on and instead of unique poses or size variations, they just cast the regular kits in translucent plastic or unusual colors.

That's not really true at all, special plastic versions have existed as long as as the alt sculpts. And yeah the alt sculpts can only be bought twice a year during their Black Friday/Easter sales but pre-pandemic they made enough so that the alts stuck around 3- 4 years before you couldn't get then anymore. Post pandemic they scaled back be asked they just don't have the capitol they used to.

Wyrd's failing was the misfortune of launching the new edition right before Covid. Ended up completely screwing up distribution of the faction books.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Muir posted:

I tried to get Wyrdhollow, but one area GW store was out (the one having a store anniversary, so I ended up not getting any of the tiered rewards, I might try for them when the other store has its anniversary in November), the other was closed, the independent store in between them didn't get theirs in yet. I am going to have to track down Gallowfall, and I've been tempted by both recent Warcry boxes but I think I'll wait and get just the vampires when they're released alone next week, and maybe the same for the Flesheaters.

LGS I got mine from got like 12 (wyrdhollows I mean) but aperently only 3 gallowfalls. On the other hand lgs I usually play at tends to get their gw stuff 2 weeks late and I have no idea how they manage it.

I haven't played malifaux in long time but only thing that did rise my eyebrow was 3 master boxes - if I play guild why do I have to by box with neverborn in it

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Can someone explain the feel of playing AoS to me? I've been digging into the rules this weekend, but I'm having difficulty figuring out the kind of gameplay you actually engage with. Threat ranges and lethality seem pretty high, so it doesn't strike me as being about carefully managing unit positions to control board space. There's definitely lots of risk and resource management, and all the faction and model special rules must mean armies play wildly differently. Mechanically, what are your favourite elements? I generally come at games competitively, under the assumption that everyone is doing their best to win.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

MCPeePants posted:

Can someone explain the feel of playing AoS to me? I've been digging into the rules this weekend, but I'm having difficulty figuring out the kind of gameplay you actually engage with. Threat ranges and lethality seem pretty high, so it doesn't strike me as being about carefully managing unit positions to control board space. There's definitely lots of risk and resource management, and all the faction and model special rules must mean armies play wildly differently. Mechanically, what are your favourite elements? I generally come at games competitively, under the assumption that everyone is doing their best to win.

Ach but you see AoS is won in movement phase - you need to grab and hold objectives. Can your army move fast or teleport? Or do you have to haul rear end across the board? If so, can you add elements that would mitigate that? What if say you bring soulscream bridge to dump your blob or dudes in the middle of the board, and it does not go off? If I move this way can I get of a charge because if not then I get charged. What if I get double turned, or I get the initiative. Will my dudes be in buff range next turn if I get the turn.

As far as lethality go It's not actually true - some units can deliver a burst damage, but there are multiple units that can take it and grind it out. My favorite sce list used to be annihilator list - drop huge dudes with huge hammers from space charge and remove something from the table. Issue was that that list had a lot of points when it could fail and then your 240 pt units will get deleted

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Anyone here got Kragnos? A friend of mine has a line on getting him NOS for about 70% MSRP but he's also uh, not the most patient person when it comes to assembly. He's fine assembling but certain GW nightmare sculpts do not work well. if Kragnos generally okay a job to assemble or is he a horrific nightmare?

if your friend has assembled any GW monster made in the past 5 years he knows what he's getting into. I had no trouble with Kragnos

moths
Aug 25, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I don’t know where you’re getting your information.

I checked my emails, and Spring 2017.

Glad you say they've turned it around though. Gluing a single 32mm cat's leg is still passing poor design on to the end user

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

The plastics were, and I'm not exaggerating here, hatefully designed to punish the hobbyist.

You also got things like where I got the Neverborn box with Nekima who is supposed to be on a flying base and said bit that elevates her off the base is far too small to do it. It's not even as long as her leg.

There's also a couple of bits to Sonnia Criid's crew I still genuinely have no idea where they go.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

KO players:

Doing a narrative escalation thing with my friends and we're going from 750 to 1000 points. I'm now at the point where I need to decide between Skypikes or Thunderers for the unit I'm going to specialize in

My narrative league is with Slaves to Darkness (with a huge brick of nurgle chaos warriors) & Kruleboyz, so feels like going full shooting is the best idea. Open to suggestions though!

Edit: FWIW I'm doing Barak Mhornar for my city so Skypike fellas aren't battleline

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

MCPeePants posted:

AOS is absolutely about maneuvering. I played a game just this weekend where I got totally outmaneuvered, despite having first turn and preferable deployment. I couldn't bring my pieces to bear to do anything to my opponent's army, while he did an amazing job of zoning me out and preventing me from getting any kind of favorable drop on him. I took an early lead, but because he was smarter about where he came out onto the field, he could pick apart my army at his convenience while racking up his choice of tactics. I think I lifted maybe three of his models total to losing every model in my army at bottom of the fifth, and it was entirely a factor of how we each were moving around the board and trying to counter-play each other.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

MCPeePants posted:

There's definitely lots of risk and resource management, and all the faction and model special rules must mean armies play wildly differently. Mechanically, what are your favourite elements? I generally come at games competitively, under the assumption that everyone is doing their best to win.

I'm still new so I really really enjoy the Eye of the Gods mechanic in Slaves to Darkness. Blind luck can help a mediocre player like me win big and it can give a good player a challenge.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

MCPeePants posted:

I picked up AoS recently, after a buddy pointed out that I had enough random Tzeentch daemons for an army. (I didn't believe him until I actually counted). Since Tzeentch folds hard in melee to nearly every other faction my experience probably isn't typical, but I was able to use general tactics (and a lot of lucky spell rolls) to place second in a small local tournament. Board control is really important, as I need to keep my wizards and flamers safe so they can wreck face in the spell and shooting phase, use a tarpit blob and some chaos spawn to screen out the devastating melee threat hurtling at me, and send two or three zippy units to snag distant objectives or hunt down vulnerable backfield characters.

The thing I like most about AoS is how every faction has at least one rule that seems completely busted, which makes each match-up feel like a unique challenge. In the games where I got really thrashed it was obvious to me what my original mistake was, usually on turn one or two.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

There are new FAQs available for Khorne, Slaanesh, and our favorite Skydwarves: https://www.warhammer-community.com/faqs/#warhammer-age-of-sigmar

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
One of them Stormcast gryph chariots for £9 in Stormbringer, very nice

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Eediot Jedi posted:

If you're going to 3d print go for a greater clean one, honestly much more disturbing.

This advice spoiled quick, lol.

So is all the fw monsters getting the boot a thing that just happens between books and editions sometimes? Otherwise, I feel like there's probably a fair number of people that dropped a fair bit of cash on a fw centerpiece that are a little grumpy right now. Apparently that ork rock guy was a pretty big deal to lose?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The rock guy was the only one that saw any competitive play, and competitive play is the only thing these guys are no longer legal in. The rest have sucked for an edition and a half.

Rock guy is a loss, though, and orruks need some big monster help.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
thank god BIG PIG is incoming

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Stormfiend proxy and his little friend

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Fantastic. I love the canister of brain rat on the back

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

That's a fine yellow.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This advice spoiled quick, lol.

So is all the fw monsters getting the boot a thing that just happens between books and editions sometimes? Otherwise, I feel like there's probably a fair number of people that dropped a fair bit of cash on a fw centerpiece that are a little grumpy right now. Apparently that ork rock guy was a pretty big deal to lose?

No, this would be the first. Most of AoS was purged from the Forge World site too. Now it's just the too old and too expensive greater demon kits.

Might be clearing their production queue to focus on the resin kits for the Old World.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Might be clearing their production queue to focus on the resin kits for the Old World.

I'm pretty sure they just removed it because almost all of it looked like trash and had rules to match and probably barely sold at all.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

I'm pretty sure they just removed it because almost all of it looked like trash and had rules to match and probably barely sold at all.

I like the one AoS Forgeworld thing I got. I think the rules are trash for it but I like how it looks and conceptually artillery squid should be fun to use in a game.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Most of the FW stuff sucked in-game but the Rogue Idol was actually a competitive staple for Savage Orruk lists that didn't want to run Kragnos. GW has basically forgotten Savage Orruks exist outside of that Underworlds warband a couple years ago, though.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Most of the FW stuff sucked in-game but the Rogue Idol was actually a competitive staple for Savage Orruk lists that didn't want to run Kragnos. GW has basically forgotten Savage Orruks exist outside of that Underworlds warband a couple years ago, though.

They remembered when Big Stabbas were good for a hot minute, long enough to nerf them. I wish they'd either refresh poo poo or remove it, I still don't even understand Kruelboyz existence when they could have just fleshed out Ironjawz and Savage Orruks. GW does weird stuff that seems based on "this'd be cool" or "I'd like this thing!" rather than we should update or sunset out of date products. But sometimes they do. But not always.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I really hope we get some of the FW stuff in plastic some day.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

I like the one AoS Forgeworld thing I got. I think the rules are trash for it but I like how it looks and conceptually artillery squid should be fun to use in a game.

I like the concept but never liked the model. I think it's the wrinkly ballsack.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think the kruelboyz were a nod towards not-funny 70s fantasy orcs. It is an archetype but not one that people come to Warhammer for.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I really like the Kruleboyz models but they are aesthetically out of step with the rest of the game and for some reason GW is incapable of figuring out how to not make their rules suck rear end. Orruks in general badly need some more units, they are some of the thinnest rosters in the game and smashing them all together into a "Big Waagh" faction is a lame bandaid solution. The new Mawgrunta is an awesome sculpt but it's another giant centerpiece model in an army that realistically has one playable battleline option right now.

They definitely seem like they'd prefer to just release entire new factions instead of making sure the ones they've got can support more than one very rigid army composition, so you get armies that essentially live and die based on whether their best unit has kept up with the power creep or not.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Kruelboyz are fine as a model and faction they just don't belong in warclans. The Warclans book really suffers from being the release book as they have figured out how to do subfactions better.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Yeah, their design is fine. They just need better rules and being their own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

moths posted:

I think the kruelboyz were a nod towards not-funny 70s fantasy orcs. It is an archetype but not one that people come to Warhammer for.

I like em!

They're super nasty and variety is nice to have.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I really like the Kruleboyz models but they are aesthetically out of step with the rest of the game and for some reason GW is incapable of figuring out how to not make their rules suck rear end. Orruks in general badly need some more units, they are some of the thinnest rosters in the game and smashing them all together into a "Big Waagh" faction is a lame bandaid solution. The new Mawgrunta is an awesome sculpt but it's another giant centerpiece model in an army that realistically has one playable battleline option right now.

They definitely seem like they'd prefer to just release entire new factions instead of making sure the ones they've got can support more than one very rigid army composition, so you get armies that essentially live and die based on whether their best unit has kept up with the power creep or not.

This is an odd critique because "not being in step with the rest of the game" can be applied to a whole bunch of armies, such as the Skaven, Kharadon Overlords, etc.