Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One neat thing Persona 3 had was that you could snoop on everybody's grades, and they'd change between exams. Akihiko starts out having the second-highest grades after Mitsuru, and Junpei manages to climb all the way up to a bit above average as he gets gradually more serious, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is it really snooping if they're posted for everyone to see, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Systematically enforced snooping is still snooping, yes.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I shouted into the void and it turned out the void was listening

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's treated as so extremely normal, because it is in Japan, but after finishing P3 and 4 it finally hit me how wild it is everyone can see your grades. I should have thought about this years ago, with how Ichigo establishes his rivalry with Uryu in Bleach by everyone seeing their grades. But again it's just treated as the most commonplace thing that I didn't give it a second thought.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
My high school posted our grades in each class.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Not all my grades were public but it wasn't that uncommon for end of year grades to be public, yeah.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sapozhnik posted:

On the other hand Naoto, the nerdy high schooler, is allowed to carry a real gun to school. Because Naoto is smart and good at solving crimes.

In conclusion Japanese gun laws are a land of contrasts.

man i'm breaking my back trying to avoid using pronouns because of the people still playing P4 through itt

Is it a real gun?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pretty sure all the P4 weapons are supposed to be real, there's a scene at the beginning where you get arrested because Yosuke is an idiot who brandishes swords in public.

Having weapons be toys and models that become real in the metaverse is just a P5 thing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
naoto's sidearm looks like a standard issue nambu m60 but it could just as easily be a replica

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Pretty sure all the P4 weapons are supposed to be real, there's a scene at the beginning where you get arrested because Yosuke is an idiot who brandishes swords in public.

Oh they're real, but it's worth noting only Yu, Yosuke, and Naoto start with actual weapons. Chie kicks things, Yukiko brings a fan for some reason, Teddie uses his claws, and Kanji is a real one and brought a folding chair.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Having weapons be toys and models that become real in the metaverse is just a P5 thing.

That opening is such a troll for people coming off playing P3. Like, you know, me. "ooh, weapon choices! I'd like the daggers!"

No, you get a sword and you like it.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

To be fair? Hitting someone with a spanner can easily be lethal, same with a golf club.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neeksy posted:

To be fair? Hitting someone with a spanner can easily be lethal, same with a golf club.

Just ask Andrew Ryan

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Something I've been wondering is do they make a big deal out of the guns being fake to get around ratings or is a cultural thing? I don't know anything about gun laws in Japan other than I assume they're more strict than the U.S.

Citizens can't buy handguns. ...though they did used to steal them off of off-duty officers post-war, which led to the below circumstances regarding the police. :v: I believe they can still buy guns for hunting, though.

Police have to get permission to take their assigned gun out of storage at HQ and bring it with them on a certain job where use of a gun is deemed necessary. If you've ever seen Psycho-Pass, this should explain the Dominator.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

It's why some of the characters in Persona 1 break into the police station in the first place, and why it's really weird for the YinYan Marts in the other world to display and sell guns like it's America.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not all my grades were public but it wasn't that uncommon for end of year grades to be public, yeah.

None of my grades in HS were public and, in fact, I even had an English teacher who got in trouble because he handed back essays in order of best to worst grade and some of the parents of the regular underperformers complained about it being "bullying".

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Sydin posted:

None of my grades in HS were public and, in fact, I even had an English teacher who got in trouble because he handed back essays in order of best to worst grade and some of the parents of the regular underperformers complained about it being "bullying".

I had a religious english teacher who disliked my agnosticism and used to score my stuff poorly until she instituted a system of using pen-names for student anonymity and handed my paper back to the wrong person after talking praise about how we needed more papers like that, only for it to turn out to have been mine, and after that she stopped grading my stuff poorly. Teachers can be really petty.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

NikkolasKing posted:

It's treated as so extremely normal, because it is in Japan, but after finishing P3 and 4 it finally hit me how wild it is everyone can see your grades. I should have thought about this years ago, with how Ichigo establishes his rivalry with Uryu in Bleach by everyone seeing their grades. But again it's just treated as the most commonplace thing that I didn't give it a second thought.
It struck me as weird in P3. Just this big bulletin board with everyone's grades put up on it? No school I'd ever been to had ever done that. By the time I played P4 and P5 I'd gotten used to the concept and was even a bit disappointed you couldn't check everyone else's grades.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Sydin posted:

Yeah, I had a teacher who talked about wanting to do that. His grading scale was famous for being super rigged too, his favorite students would always get the best grades while the ones he didn't like always got the worst, so really he just wanted to publically name and shame the students he hated. Our principal got wind of that plan and it was never spoken of again, so who knows how bad of an idea that was considered to be.

One of the best examples was when this teacher explained to a student that since he wasn't a native speaker and had only moved here after the age of ten, it was simply impossible for him to have the innate understanding of spelling and grammar required to get anything above a B-. Another student pointed out that he also wasn't a native speaker and had moved here at age twelve. His grades dropped immediately.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Irisize posted:

Going for the P5Strikers platinum, is there really no better way to grind out the bond levels except beating up the same optional bosses over and over again? What's the best setup for that?

Get yourself some 99-stat Personas and go for New Game+ on Merciless. Should be done by 3rd or 4th dungeon if you bonk the dire shadows on the way.

Edit: I think I used this guide for building up the Personas.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 9, 2023

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
My high school didn't post grades either. There were like 3k students there so I'm not even sure how it'd be feasible to post them in public unless you stuck them all over all the walls and lockers Mean Girl style.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I dunno how it is now but here in Portugal the scores of the exams you do in your final highschool year where posted for everyone to see.

I remember Playing Persona 3 and 4 back in the ps2 days and thinking how hosed up it is that in Japan they do multiple exams every single year. And it takes a full week? Not for me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In the schools I went to we had midterms and finals, and most teachers would give a big quarterly test as part of the whole grading scheme. They didn't take a week though, but unlike the schools presented in Persona games we had every subject every school day, not one or two classes a day, so that might be down to how the schools work.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

This wasn't en vogue in k-12; however, one or two classes during my freshman year posted our exam grades publicly, but pseudo-anonymously (using your university card number, which was formerly your SSN). This was before online learning management systems became a thing, though, and I never encountered it in large lecture classes in subsequent years.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

My high school didn't post grades either. There were like 3k students there so I'm not even sure how it'd be feasible to post them in public unless you stuck them all over all the walls and lockers Mean Girl style.

My school was about 4K students, so it was each individual class where the teachers would post the grades. It mostly existed so we could see what our scores on various tests/quizzes/assignments were and how they were weighted towards our final grade and such.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

In the United States, I'm pretty sure posting grades publicly would be a violation of student privacy laws (specifically FERPA) and would be instant lawsuit bait. Even if you have a schema for anonymizing them and can ensure you can't trace the grade back to a student, you're treading on thin ice posting anything more specific than some summary statistics such as "the median score was 69" or some such.

It was actually one of the things that stuck out in P5R to me, since I work in education technology and the thought of student data like that being public in 2023 just screams in my ears. Come to think of it, there was a scene in Batman Beyond where grades were posted publicly. I think it was the episode where the emo member of the Jokerz goes after Max for getting a better grade than him on a test.

I should really take a closer look at this. I swear I posted this exact post a few months ago but I never actually followed up into looking into how student grades are handled in various countries/under various legal frameworks.

edit: Relevant law seems fuzzy. This is a nice break from actual work though.

edit 2: It seems like the only viable way to do this and also uniquely identify the grades is to use an identifier known only to the teacher and the specific student. Which would present its own problems (even pseudoanonymous identifiers like this can be backtraced with a bit of legwork) and justifies why most literature on the subject can be summed up in one word - "Don't."

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 9, 2023

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I would study more in highschool if I had someone giving me items if I was at the top of my grade.

Get on that school systems.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Warmachine posted:

In the United States, I'm pretty sure posting grades publicly would be a violation of student privacy laws (specifically FERPA) and would be instant lawsuit bait. Even if you have a schema for anonymizing them and can ensure you can't trace the grade back to a student, you're treading on thin ice posting anything more specific than some summary statistics such as "the median score was 69" or some such.

It 100% is, but it didn't stop it from happening. Until the hammer got dropped, I assume.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

I guess to some extent it's implied in overall ranking (which I think most high schools do in order to choose valedictorian/salutatorian?). Though that often varies; in my city/state it was by GPA and bizarrely distorted due to AP classes counting as 6.0, honors as 5.0, and standard as 4.0, so getting a C in an AP course = getting an A in a standard course as far as GPA was concerned. The top ranked students had GPAs of like 5.6 or something due to taking as many AP courses as possible. I was ranked somewhere in the 40s with a GPA of something like 4.6-4.7. My choice to take a language without an AP version hurt my GPA - all the most competitive students took either Spanish or Latin, simply because those were the two languages with an AP class.

Sydin posted:

I'm not sure I'd lump Makoto in with Haru and Ann. Haru is the heir to a corporate empire and worth hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars, and Ann is a working model whose parents are world-renowned fashion designers who according to the art book are rich enough to hire a full time household servant staff to take care of Ann while they're away. Makoto meanwhile lives with Sae who, based on some quick googling, probably makes the equivalent of low six-figures USD as a public prosecutor (and likely took a massive paycut by the time of Strikers to switch to public defender.) So like Makoto's doing fine but "bougie" might be a bit much, particularly in comparison to Haru and Ann.

Futaba's harder to pin down since Sojirou constantly whines about money and his business having no customers but also he owns two properties in Yongen and the money he got for his "retirement" is implied to have been a non-insignificant sum.

You're right that she's definitely not on the same level as Haru/Ann, but she's at least solidly middle class with a nice Tokyo apartment/condo. Meanwhile Yusuke is super poor and Ryuji is also established as being poor (I forget if he still has an alcoholic father or if he's now in a single-parent household, but either way it's not great).

Sojiro is absolutely very well-off, unless the game is just completely tossing out all logic about Tokyo real-estate prices.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It is an interesting topic because Saekoto's apartment is immaculate and modern but not very big. While Spjiro's holdings feel more down to earth in terms of furnishings but are enormous. Maybe boomers own ridiculous properties in tokyo too.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

He might have inherited his family's house, and if it was in the family for 70+ years? They can have a reasonable-sized house surrounded by a far more developed city, etc.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He had a pretty important, if vague, government job and took an early retirement to run Leblanc. He also for some reason had access to Wakaba's inheritance and said he gave most of it to Money-Grubbing Uncle to get him off his back.

I've always assumed he had one hell of a nest egg but he spent most of it setting himself up to be able to keep Futaba safe. His properties are definitely assets he could sell if he had to, and he's clearly comfortable running a café at a loss. I have no idea where that puts him on the bougie scale, except it's obviously below Haru but above Ryuji and Yusuke.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sydin posted:

IIRC there's a chapter from the manga adaptation where Joker decides to be more equitable with the mementos money and splits it evenly among the group, whereupon it turns out everybody besides him is loving awful at managing money and blows their share immediately.

:same:

This is probably the most realistic exp for teens with suddenly a lot of money from nowhere. Also, I bought like practically every gift item at the stores but I only ever gave like 3 gifts ever during events. I kinda wish I could decorate the attic with my stuff more too.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He also for some reason had access to Wakaba's inheritance and said he gave most of it to Money-Grubbing Uncle to get him off his back.

It's never really explicitly confirmed in the game but imo the sense I get is that at least some of the money Sojiro got after the fallout of the Wakaba stuff was effectively hush money from the conspiracy on the condition he'd gently caress off somewhere out of sight and not pry into Wakaba's death.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Didn't Futaba make a very profitable app in one of the spinoffs that she sold for peanuts or something? Maybe a baffling relationship to money just runs in the family.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

YaketySass posted:

Didn't Futaba make a very profitable app in one of the spinoffs that she sold for peanuts or something? Maybe a baffling relationship to money just runs in the family.

For a while I thought characters like that (the "talented/passionate hacker who isn't professionally successful due to only doing stuff they're interested in") was a myth, but then I actually encountered one of those people. This Swedish guy came to work with us, and he was incredibly talented and quickly rewrote this computational software we'd been using (in a way that was significantly faster). But then he just lost interest in doing work stuff (and apparently this has happened multiple times in the past). I'm pretty sure depression factored into it some, but he would do a lot of random non-paid work that he would become interested in on a whim so it wasn't just a general inability to motivate himself to do things.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IceBorg posted:

I would study more in highschool if I had someone giving me items if I was at the top of my grade.

It's never actually the school rewarding your good grades, though, the closest it gets is Mitsuru, whose family owns Gekkoukan, giving you stuff in her capacity as the president of your club. Yu and Joker get bonuses from Dojima and Sojiro, respectively.

Ytlaya posted:

For a while I thought characters like that (the "talented/passionate hacker who isn't professionally successful due to only doing stuff they're interested in") was a myth, but then I actually encountered one of those people. This Swedish guy came to work with us, and he was incredibly talented and quickly rewrote this computational software we'd been using (in a way that was significantly faster). But then he just lost interest in doing work stuff (and apparently this has happened multiple times in the past). I'm pretty sure depression factored into it some, but he would do a lot of random non-paid work that he would become interested in on a whim so it wasn't just a general inability to motivate himself to do things.
Speaking as someone with ADD, that sounds like ADD. It's incredibly difficult for me to motivate myself to do anything that isn't A) interesting, B) challenging, or C) urgent. A lot of my personal projects peter out when I lose interest in them, generally around when the "drudge work" starts needing to happen, and it's been debilitating to my career aspirations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

IceBorg posted:

Actually, there have been various studies into this with papers such as https://mfidev.uchicago.edu/events/20111028_experiments/papers/Levitt_List_Neckermann_Sadoff_Short-Term_Incentives_September2011.pdf

The positive impact have varied depending on the methodology. Of course, there is a drawback with such a carrot approach called the overjustification effect. For example, if the incentive goes away (say, there funding for the school goes down that they can no longer give out incentives) or the incentive is not as good as before, then students' performance may drop to how they were before or be worse. Perhaps there were students who were trying to study well before for other reasons, but now that the students have been conditioned to receive a material reward, removing the reward may make it so that those students who would have studied more without the reward no longer study because they have been conditioned to expect a material reward. I think schools are risk averse to the long term consequences of having such a system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Commander Keene posted:

It's never actually the school rewarding your good grades, though, the closest it gets is Mitsuru, whose family owns Gekkoukan, giving you stuff in her capacity as the president of your club. Yu and Joker get bonuses from Dojima and Sojiro, respectively.

Uh you get closer to your school friends, the true reward.