Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wonder if we're going to see a SAG-AFTRA strike soon over this. Feels like "studio owns the rights to your likeness in perpetuity" is definitely something to strike over.

davidspackage posted:

lol, studios and streaming services are probably dreaming of a future where AI generates movies for them based on current trends and starring actors who have been dead for decades, without any more cost than computer time. No more new art, just recycled and regurgitated bits of old, glued back together. Horrible.

More and more I think of it, Michael Crichton's Looker was downright prescient for 1980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Young Freud posted:

More and more I think of it, Michael Crichton's Looker was downright prescient for 1980.

Simone was almost there; it just didn't get that recreating actual actors would be the route to take.

Actually, if in a few decades we get the complete erosion of actor's rights in favor of AI recreation, I wonder if someday we might actually get the Jason Momoa Frosty the Snowman movie.

Taking this to its extreme, I wonder if some actors might push for movie remakes or "special editions" with them inserted into roles that they had passed on. Star Wars: The Super Special Edition with Sissy Spacek as Leia and Kurt Russell as Han, for example.

Chairman Capone fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 7, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Young Freud posted:

Wonder if we're going to see a SAG-AFTRA strike soon over this. Feels like "studio owns the rights to your likeness in perpetuity" is definitely something to strike over.

It also sounds like legally impossible, but there might be an urgent need to clarify this kind of thing in law. Like, yesterday.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

davidspackage posted:

lol, studios and streaming services are probably dreaming of a future where AI generates movies for them based on current trends and starring actors who have been dead for decades, without any more cost than computer time. No more new art, just recycled and regurgitated bits of old, glued back together. Horrible.
It's mainly that the biggest costs for anything are always labor, and their profits can go up astronomically if they are just using AI to write scripts and then another AI and CGI to just recreate older actors instead of shooting real ones. So that is their preferred future even if it's not going to go as well for them as they think.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's mainly that the biggest costs for anything are always labor, and their profits can go up astronomically if they are just using AI to write scripts and then another AI and CGI to just recreate older actors instead of shooting real ones. So that is their preferred future even if it's not going to go as well for them as they think.

Studios sowing: Haha, yes no actors, this is great!

Studio reaping: WTF people like actors this sucks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think you have to look at story heavy video games for the sort of things they'll try out. character creators, fake interactivity etc. cheaping out on script writers for movies seems like a bad bet given how high all the other costs are. recreating that one star that have you a good rate on their likeness seems like much better value for money

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Young Freud posted:

Wonder if we're going to see a SAG-AFTRA strike soon over this. Feels like "studio owns the rights to your likeness in perpetuity" is definitely something to strike

SAG-AFTRA and the DGA have their CBA deadlines coming up. This is why it's so important to hold solidarity with the WGA. The studios are trying to break the unions.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

While that SAG-AFTRA quote and implication is nightmarish, is it an actually new thing to demand the 'in perpetuity' bit?

Minus the phrasing about technology it's exactly a joke from a 24 year old Mission Hill episode which makes me wonder if it's been a thing for ages.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

NY recently-ish passed a law saying after someone dies, you had to get permission from the person's estate to recreate their likeness commercially. I assume these new clauses were prepared to work around that and any other laws like it that come out.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Reality Bites was pretty accomplished for a debut as well, I often misremember and think it was Linklater. The movie itself is unwatchably 90s now tho

Nah Reality Bites isn't unbearably 90s it's unbearably Gen X like Rent, just a bunch of rich white kids wanting to live like Common People and just being the most artificial bohemians. See also Into The Wild.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Does that contract really say throughout the entire goddamn universe

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ruddiger posted:

That's pretty standard boilerplate.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Canopus250 posted:

While that SAG-AFTRA quote and implication is nightmarish, is it an actually new thing to demand the 'in perpetuity' bit?

Minus the phrasing about technology it's exactly a joke from a 24 year old Mission Hill episode which makes me wonder if it's been a thing for ages.

It’s a joke like gags about America being full of guns that kill people are a joke

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

ruddiger posted:

The Gorbons of Zinlok VI will attempt to invade earth, but because we wrote a law that says they can’t they’ll just fall over dead like the Martians in War of the Worlds.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The emperor of the Fourth stimpire can remove my likeness from my bones but he won’t be able to use it In media as it belongs to the Embracer group forever +12

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Canopus250 posted:

Never forget that Netflix shut down, and eventually ended, Nailed It! because they were using a non-union crew and the crew wanted to join the union.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Same with Tuca and Bertie. Would've hit Bojack too if they hadn't decided the next season would be the last.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Nailed It! was also one of their biggest hits when it comes to original series and it still didn't matter.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Nailed It! was also one of their biggest hits when it comes to original series and it still didn't matter.

Not to mention the budget difference between a show like Nailed It and any of their scripted shows that have been successful. Like, they could probably crank out 10 seasons of Nailed It for the cost of just one season of The Witcher or Stranger Things. I'd think that a popular show that's also as cheap to produce as Nailed It would be considered extremely valuable to them.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nailed It! is also not really a show you need to pay super close attention to, so they may think that 56 episodes is enough. If I want to throw something on for background noise while I'm doing something else, I'm going to choose something that isn't going to require my full attention, and potentially something I've already seen before. Having 7 seasons of a baking competition show seems like the kind of thing that would be evergreen as low-intensity background entertainment.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Robot Style posted:

Nailed It! is also not really a show you need to pay super close attention to, so they may think that 56 episodes is enough. If I want to throw something on for background noise while I'm doing something else, I'm going to choose something that isn't going to require my full attention, and potentially something I've already seen before. Having 7 seasons of a baking competition show seems like the kind of thing that would be evergreen as low-intensity background entertainment.

They ended it suddenly, in the middle of filming a season, not after they had a season finished. They were going to finish filming that season, but nope..the terrible crew wanted to join a union. That's why the last season only has 4 episodes, compared to the other seasons having 6.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

We Got Us A Bread posted:

They ended it suddenly, in the middle of filming a season, not after they had a season finished. They were going to finish filming that season, but nope..the terrible crew wanted to join a union.

:thunk: could it be that the corporation is bad and hates unions? No, surely they wouldn't do something so obvious and petty.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Nailed It! is like the one Netflix show I watch consistently and it's lovely what happened to them. Good on the crew for unionizing.

Currently both the Blade movie and the new Daredevil has been halted. Stranger Things 5 too, with the Duffer brothers also showing support for the writers.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

joylessdivision posted:

:thunk: could it be that the corporation is bad and hates unions? No, surely they wouldn't do something so obvious and petty.

This IS the corporation that managed to somehow make a Squid Games reality show about as dangerous as the actual Squid Games, so....

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 9, 2023

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Andor still filming despite the union strike is very ironic but unfortunately not surprising.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Nailed It! is like the one Netflix show I watch consistently and it's lovely what happened to them. Good on the crew for unionizing.

Currently both the Blade movie and the new Daredevil has been halted. Stranger Things 5 too, with the Duffer brothers also showing support for the writers.

I think we're going to see more solidarity this time, since everyone's CBA's are up within months of each other. The writers now, SAG-AFTRA and the Directors Guild CBA's are both up on June 30th.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We Got Us A Bread posted:

This IS the corporation that managed to somehow make a Squid Games reality show about as dangerous as the actual Squid Games, so....

everyone denies there being real issues. no idea if britains safety things are as lovely as the us though

In January 2023, reports emerged that ambulances had been called to treat real life injuries sustained while filming the show. Netflix denied the severity of the reports stating that the injuries were mild medical conditions and that they care about the health and safety of the cast and crew. The local ambulance service also stated that it had not been called out to the studios recently.[217][218] Britain's Health and Safety Executive evaluated the production after these complaints and found no actionable issues, though cautioned the production to be prepared for any future risks.[219]

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1655608367241461768?t=mlbUj4RHcnu_SRKuQLnVUw&s=19

Sure why not

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Viktor Bout to break these box office records

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

more like Viktor rebout

as long as jared leto isn't in it

preferably isn't in anything ever again

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Leto died in the first one any ways.

By the way, MEG 2 : THE TRENCH.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Here's hoping that this time, Bill Skarsgard's character will live to see the end of the movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Can't wait for Cage's thinly-veiled Viktor Bout to get released to the Russians, who put him on TV to talk about how "Americans believe in 32 genders" and other culture war bullshit to make them feel happy about being in a losing war.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Young Freud posted:

Can't wait for Cage's thinly-veiled Viktor Bout to get released to the Russians, who put him on TV to talk about how "Americans believe in 32 genders" and other culture war bullshit to make them feel happy about being in a losing war.

32? Those are rookie numbers

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

well why not posted:

Leto died in the first one any ways.

By the way, MEG 2 : THE TRENCH.

They did a good job hinting at the stuff from the book without showing it. Also they added stuff. More is better.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lord of War didn’t do very well, right? It’s a good film and all but I’m surprised someone thinks there’s an audience for a sequel.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Lord of War didn’t do very well, right? It’s a good film and all but I’m surprised someone thinks there’s an audience for a sequel.

We are in one of those phases where the general public is kinda vaguely aware that Nic Cage is awesome so the studios rush to make stuff with him before his popularity becomes irony-poisoned again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

It lost money. It's very odd to announce a sequel 18 years later.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

And its a movie that doesn't need a sequel and would be hard to graft one on

It is a good film though if anyone hasn't seen it, although its very depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's the thing, who looks at this bleak nihilistic portrait of the arms trade and says "I see a franchise here"?