Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

The story I heard about GSW was way less favourable. That explanation makes sense. Is this just a situation where fascists ruin everything by claiming stuff as theirs?

I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember they had issues before. Maybe there is a second Spanish hobby company dabbling in Nazi imagery?

The Black Sun is a tough call, it is purely a nazi thing, invented by/for Himmler. There are norse symbols that look similar, but they are not really interchangeable. Its also hard because the hobby is run through with people who are very weird about nazi poo poo, ranging from mostly harmless wehraboos to the full on nazi poo poo like those nazi marines. My old game group had a "no germans, no confederates" rule and honestly it was great. It functioned as the perfect firewall, anyone that protested shouldn't play with us, anyone who understood was usually the perfect addition to the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A lot of Spain's bullshit makes sense when you consider that known Hitler-friend Franco's Spanish government lasted through 1978.

GSW was called on that symbol numerous times before tweeting out that it was just a silly goof. Whoops!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Virtual Russian posted:

I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember they had issues before. Maybe there is a second Spanish hobby company dabbling in Nazi imagery?

Maybe you are thinking of when AK interactive put out a book showing how to make super realistic holocaust and Rwanda genocide dioramas.

Perhaps I will hand lay thousands of tiny bricks instead....

Edit: no the gas chamber was part of an entire book on how to make tiny war crimes, not as a specific remembrance thing.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 8, 2023

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
iirc the gas chamber was for international genocide remembrance day or something, and you sort of get the idea of what someone was going for but someone somewhere should have put a stop to it well before anyone started building the tiny miniature sprinklers

that sucks about GSW though. I have a couple of the non-nazi symbol texture rollers.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Lethemonster posted:

Maybe you are thinking of when AK interactive put out a book showing how to make super realistic holocaust and Rwanda genocide dioramas.

Perhaps I will hand lay thousands of tiny bricks instead....

Was it AK who also did a Kickstarter or something for busts of "Flying Heroes of WW2", with one of the first being a Luftwaffe pilot? Like, not even just going with "Flying Aces", but "Flying Heroes". I think they gave some mealy-mouthed "they were heroes to their own people" non-apology, too, before quietly shutting it down. I forget if it was AK specifically or some other company in that part of the world, but I do seem to remember something like that happening.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

They sold through the stock of these before they updated it too. Also they went through a phase of canceling any order if the buyer had a Chinese name.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Was it AK who also did a Kickstarter or something for busts of "Flying Heroes of WW2", with one of the first being a Luftwaffe pilot? Like, not even just going with "Flying Aces", but "Flying Heroes". I think they gave some mealy-mouthed "they were heroes to their own people" non-apology, too, before quietly shutting it down. I forget if it was AK specifically or some other company in that part of the world, but I do seem to remember something like that happening.

That was Scale75.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/scale75/the-eagles-of-the-wwii-luftwaffe/?ref=kicktraq

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I am reminded that one of my older scale 75 bottles is labels up as “negro gold” and yes, scale 75 is a Spanish company and I know what black is in Spanish but….this isn’t like Vallejo where every bottle has both English and Spanish naming, every other colour in the metal range is in English not Spanish and has a fantasy name. They quietly changed it to “necro gold” at some point.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Negro isn't offensive in more places in the world than where it is so that's not really a smoking gun though

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Mr Teatime posted:

I am reminded that one of my older scale 75 bottles is labels up as “negro gold” and yes, scale 75 is a Spanish company and I know what black is in Spanish but….this isn’t like Vallejo where every bottle has both English and Spanish naming, every other colour in the metal range is in English not Spanish and has a fantasy name. They quietly changed it to “necro gold” at some point.

I think that did blow up at some point hence the name change. I am pretty sure most of the other instances people remembering were scale75 controversies.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

Dreylad posted:

iirc the gas chamber was for international genocide remembrance day or something, and you sort of get the idea of what someone was going for but someone somewhere should have put a stop to it well before anyone started building the tiny miniature sprinklers

that sucks about GSW though. I have a couple of the non-nazi symbol texture rollers.

It was AK interactive that made the book, and I don't recall it being for remembrance at all, especially because the marketing was extremely tasteless edgy garbage. In addition to the genocide diorama instructions it also contained instructions on how to paint other edgy stuff like a drug addict shooting up, or a diorama of a drowned child.

The title of the book was "Condemnation: When modeling becomes art and art is a social denounce" and one of the official description blurbs for it was:

"THE HARSH REALITY, ARE YOU READY?
Four grams of Zyklon B, a pesticide made from cyanide largely used in prison camps of Auschwitz and Oranienburg, are enough to cause a dreadful death. Jews, gypsies, gays and every individual who showed any hint of dissidence in front of the Aryan postulates were the right candidates for confinement and extermination just like a plague of insects and rodents. During the Nazi barbarism years, all those people were considered sub-human beings who had to be erased from the world. They were not women, men or children any more. They were infectious rats who were putting in danger the German utopia and had to be treated as rats. How do we deal with rats? Using poison, of course."

They then issued what I remember to be non apologies, and still sell the book to this day. I've personally stayed away from AK Interactive ever since because of it.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

You’ll never guess what’s on the side of the AK interactive paint stripper bottle.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mr Teatime posted:

You’ll never guess what’s on the side of the AK interactive paint stripper bottle.

Well given how my bar is so low that I expected it to somehow be nazis, the real answer being a silhouette of a pole dancing lass was nice all things considered.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BizarroAzrael posted:

Made some bases with Mordant Earth

Black undercoat on the left, bone on the right, which I will be continuing with. I used the hairdryer technique, that's not going to damage a model already on the base of I don't go all out on it right?

Think I'm going to try it a little thicker next time, but does anyone have thoughts on how this green effect would look under my bone-colored marines? Or perhaps a lava effect matching the power sword from earlier?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Phantombane posted:

It was AK interactive that made the book, and I don't recall it being for remembrance at all, especially because the marketing was extremely tasteless edgy garbage. In addition to the genocide diorama instructions it also contained instructions on how to paint other edgy stuff like a drug addict shooting up, or a diorama of a drowned child.

The title of the book was "Condemnation: When modeling becomes art and art is a social denounce" and one of the official description blurbs for it was:

Four grams of Zyklon B, a pesticide made from cyanide largely used in prison camps of Auschwitz and Oranienburg, are enough to cause a dreadful death. Jews, gypsies, gays and every individual who showed any hint of dissidence in front of the Aryan postulates were the right candidates for confinement and extermination just like a plague of insects and rodents. During the Nazi barbarism years, all those people were considered sub-human beings who had to be erased from the world. They were not women, men or children any more. They were infectious rats who were putting in danger the German utopia and had to be treated as rats. How do we deal with rats? Using poison, of course."

They then issued what I remember to be non apologies, and still sell the book to this day. I've personally stayed away from AK Interactive ever since because of it.

Woof. I guess I'm thinking of some other company or something. jfc.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Phantombane posted:

That was what I was thinking of. Also yeah, Franco is partially to blame, but that is even more reason to hold them extra accountable.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I've decide to be the change etc. and I'm starting to work on a hobby series for my LGS.

I'm still trying to figure out what works at a local hobby shop scale, so please tell me about the painting exhibitions and competitions your LGSes have thrown.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

grassy gnoll posted:

I've decide to be the change etc. and I'm starting to work on a hobby series for my LGS.

I'm still trying to figure out what works at a local hobby shop scale, so please tell me about the painting exhibitions and competitions your LGSes have thrown.

An lgs I go to a lot hosts a painting contest each month and it follows a pretty simple ruleset that encourages some creativity. Each month they pick a theme that usually falls under some category of tabletop stereotype. Example themes I've entered in have been: "the big baddie," "the tank," "the healer," "the rogue," and "whimsical". You can think of some other examples not just in the realm of fantasy

Being an LGS that focuses on tabletop games like DND, battletech, MCP, infinity, and GW stuff, they have a section of the store devoted to reaper bones models in blisters. So to enter the contest you buy a model off the wall and then put up another $2 to enter in the contest. The cost of each model and the $2 goes into a pot for the winners, and the winners are the top 3rd of contestants (so if ten people enter, then 3 people win) who get store credit equal to their share of the pot.

Honestly, I owe a lot to the painting contests at that LGS. I've learned a lot from participating and feel like all my advanced techniques come from pushing myself in each one of the events. So if you're planning on hosting something like this: please do it. Encourage people to get out of their army painting comfort zone and try some fancy poo poo on a model they otherwise would never paint.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

They sold through the stock of these before they updated it too. Also they went through a phase of canceling any order if the buyer had a Chinese name.

Other scummy behaviour from GSW:

* Taking ideas from smaller producers, stealing them and rushing through the patent (Spanish patent law is ridiculous) so they can make their own versions and get the originals shut down. IIRC they did this with the texture rollers and tube making kits.

* Getting YouTube channels pulled down because of hurt feelings over the 'Colorshift' trademark.

* Taking pictures from artists portfolios without permission and using them to advertise their products.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zark the Damned posted:

Other scummy behaviour from GSW:

* Taking ideas from smaller producers, stealing them and rushing through the patent (Spanish patent law is ridiculous) so they can make their own versions and get the originals shut down. IIRC they did this with the texture rollers and tube making kits.

* Getting YouTube channels pulled down because of hurt feelings over the 'Colorshift' trademark.

* Taking pictures from artists portfolios without permission and using them to advertise their products.

The texture roller thing always particularly stuck out as egregious because textured rolling pins for baking have existed for baking for who even knows how long, a texture roller is "what if we used that on green stuff instead of dough?", then GSW somehow managed to get a patent on the idea of a textured rolling pin and were using it to harass and shut down people selling texture rollers. How you patent "I'm going to use an existing product idea but touch clay instead of dough" I will never understand. Its like letting someone patent using makeup brushes to drybrush figures.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Welp, at least I now know that if I want to replace my existing paints or get some new ones (like I'm thinking of doing sometime later this year), I should probably just stick with Army Painter, Citadel, Vallejo, or Monument Hobbies; and completely avoid AK Interactive, Scale75, and GSW.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

So, are there any good companies selling greenstuff/clay rollers? I wanted some cobblestone kinda rolls, but don't want to give GSW money.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ravendas posted:

So, are there any good companies selling greenstuff/clay rollers? I wanted some cobblestone kinda rolls, but don't want to give GSW money.

You can get them 3d printed iirc.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Z the IVth posted:

You can get them 3d printed iirc.

Yeah, check Etsy, probably a lot of folks 3d printing them.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Buy actual artists acryllic. Way better and cheaper than hobby branded acryllic

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

grassy gnoll posted:

One of my local stores has started doing monthly Iron Painter competitions, where the participants are given a random model and a theme the model must be painted in, and four hours to do so. After the first hour, more twists (like certain ugly paints, or an extra small mini, or whatever) is added to the competition, and must be included in the final mini. The participants can bring their own brushes and paints if they want, but there are some provided if they don't.

For example, the next one in June is going to be a random D&D miniature, that must fit the theme of "going to the beach". It's definitely a neat idea, it's just that for me I usually work the days they're having them, so I haven't been able to go and see how the turnout is.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ravendas posted:

Looks like this company doesn't have rollers but I'm going to mention them as they sell GS, tentacle rollers, other things and IIRC came recommended from modernsynthesist on IG as a good company for GS buying.

https://www.greenstuffindustries.com/store/c1/GSI_Home

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Zark the Damned posted:

I'd be curious to read more about this if you have a link to share about it. I'm assuming this would just be within Spain, since a Spanish patent isn't going to help them anywhere in the rest of the world.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Muir posted:

I'd be curious to read more about this if you have a link to share about it. I'm assuming this would just be within Spain, since a Spanish patent isn't going to help them anywhere in the rest of the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhIEilBD-mQ has some details. Turns out I misremembered, the patent trolling was the tube tool and leaf punches and not the texture rollers (though I'm sure I read _somewhere_ about those being a stolen idea too). Essentially they abuse the fact that they are a semi-big company and can easily afford the 500 Euro fee to submit applications to the EU patent office which is in the same location as them to force smaller competitors to stop selling as they can't afford the tens of thousands of Euro it takes to fight the legal battles against them.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Interesting, thanks. If that video is correct and they are knowingly filing for design patents on designs that they don't own or didn't originate, they may be submitting fraudulent patent applications.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Muir posted:

Interesting, thanks. If that video is correct and they are knowingly filing for design patents on designs that they don't own or didn't originate, they may be submitting fraudulent patent applications.

It's not like most small hobby companies where "teetering on the edge of bankruptcy" is a normal state of affairs will have the resources to fight it out in court.

Hmm patent trolls? Or patent Nazis?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

It's not like most small hobby companies where "teetering on the edge of bankruptcy" is a normal state of affairs will have the resources to fight it out in court.

Sure, I'm just saying there's a difference between lawfully bullying other companies with patents, and perpetrating a fraud on the government. The first may be distasteful but is legal, the other...

Muir fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 8, 2023

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Finished an Iron hands guy who seems to very recently have smashed something squishy with his hammer

Tried some stuff with black and had some fun with blood spatter, though maybe it ended up being a bit understated on the armor

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Took a break from my kill team project to remember I left my Dark Apostle squad only 1/3rd done so I knocked out the Disciples real quick. Extremely happy with how the Dark Apostle himself came out, and the Disciples came out not too shabby for getting them done as quickly but cleanly as possible

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I have a wet pallete set coming in the mail, is using one vastly different than painting normally? Any advice?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

I have a wet pallete set coming in the mail, is using one vastly different than painting normally? Any advice?

Which wet palette set out of curiosity? I'm just gonna quickly link Vince as I'm about to go to bed and he typically produces excellent videos, I haven't watched this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXH-Tml1ltc

I think I've posted a few times ITT on some wet palette comments if you're bored and want to hunt for them, but I'd say start with that vid then get at it IRL and come back with questions you may have then.

ed:
ok fine one thing, the biggest difference is your acrylic paints aren't drying out the second you put them on your dry rear end palette, should be easier to maintain the right paint consistency for your needs with a wet palette

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Which wet palette set out of curiosity? I'm just gonna quickly link Vince as I'm about to go to bed and he typically produces excellent videos, I haven't watched this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXH-Tml1ltc

I think I've posted a few times ITT on some wet palette comments if you're bored and want to hunt for them, but I'd say start with that vid then get at it IRL and come back with questions you may have then.

ed:
ok fine one thing, the biggest difference is your acrylic paints aren't drying out the second you put them on your dry rear end palette, should be easier to maintain the right paint consistency for your needs with a wet palette

hey man thanks,

this is the set I bought:-

https://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-Painting-Miniature-Complete/dp/B08CBMP1N3

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

A big thing that videos say about wet palettes is to not use metallic paints on them, but people here have said it's fine so I've started doing it and it's great. Other than that yeah you'll just see a night and day difference with how long your paint stays workable.

Don't try to leave it out for too long, it isn't infinite. I keep my paints out in it for a few days then if I find myself not painting beyond that I throw away the paper, squeeze out the sponge and give it a good rinse then squeeze it out again, wipe down the tray, and then put it in the fridge. That has kept the current sponge going strong for a while now, I was an idiot with the first sponge and it got moldy within a few months.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
My wet pallet is a tray, some layers of wet paper towels and parchment paper for baking :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There is absolutely a market for this poo poo. I'm in a bunch of large miniature painting facebook groups and I very regularly see extremely high quality and meticulously detailed busts and large scale display figures of various German WW2 soldiers, disproportionately Waffen SS. I've seen comparable models for any of the Allies maybe once.