Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ranter posted:

What class do you think you're in if you find calling aristocrats and bourgeoisie mentally ill rejects offensive?

The hell did you manage to read into that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The parts of that Azaelia manifesto that are a bit accurate (and a lot of it is just her having personal beef) back up my long-standing theory that the Sydney 2000 Olympics were one of the worst things culturally to happen to Australia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

The parts of that Azaelia manifesto that are a bit accurate (and a lot of it is just her having personal beef) back up my long-standing theory that the Sydney 2000 Olympics were one of the worst things culturally to happen to Australia.

I'd believe it.

On another note apparently there's gonna be an all-round welfare increase after all, I wonder if the over-55s-only thing was leaked on purpose to gauge sentiment or they just backpedalled after it pleased literally nobody.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The nation has never recovered from Strawberry Kisses

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The true dire state of Australian music can be summed up with the fact that we nowadays get to put an entry into Eurovision, and it isn't TISM.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

King Gizzard can release 100 albums and it still won't be enough to atone for the sins of Tones and I

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tony did what now?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

The true dire state of Australian music can be summed up with the fact that we nowadays get to put an entry into Eurovision, and it isn't TISM.

TISM are exclusively popular with ausgoons which shows you exactly how unimportant they are to our musical landscape.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Sparticle posted:

King Gizzard can release 100 albums and it still won't be enough to atone for the sins of Tones and I

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Sadistik Exekution - imagine Norwegian Nazis had grown up in suburban straya but were too scared to blow up some 20 year old catholic churches

This is your kulcha

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Hoping for a reprieve for struggling families in tonight’s Federal Budget

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Laserface posted:

TISM are exclusively popular with ausgoons which shows you exactly how unimportant they are to our musical landscape.

They're popular with people that went to uni in the 90s as well.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Wizard Master posted:

Hoping for a reprieve for struggling families in tonight’s Federal Budget

Hope is about all you're likely to get

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Do you think they'll gently caress with the stage 3 tax cuts and raise the dole?

I suppose we're gonna find out...

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

We should really submit Pendulum and let them play the abc theme remix

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

liking king gizzard and tame impala at the same time is such a profoundly mentally ill position that you should be able to legally force someone to take anti psychotics and effexor against their will for expressing it

Elitist gatekeeping, in the AUSPOL thread?

Redezga posted:

I don't know how you can even pretend to think you like or understand music if you don't like Regurgitator.

I love the gurge but didn't want to be adding stuff from 25 years ago, felt a bit boomerish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ1l4UJW04Y

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 9, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

quote:

TAHP’s 7 policies:
1. Restoring Affordable Housing: The Great Australian Snowcity (TGAS).
Land is plentiful in Australia. The problem is that jobs are centralised to capital cities where housing is unaffordable and cheap vacant land doesn’t exist. People live where they can travel to their jobs.
TAHP will use Elon Musks Boring Company and others to build a 1200km/hr HyperLoop underneath the Sydney and Melbourne CBD railway stations straight to Kosciusko National Park, where there is 6990 square kilometers of vacant, government owned land. Enough to build millions and millions of high quality, 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom $300,000 homes.
Hyperloop Travel Times:
Sydney to the Snowcity: 20 minutes.
Melbourne to the Snowcity: 18 minutes.
Sydney to Melbourne: 40 minutes.
The government owned land will be sold for $0 to Defence Housing Australia who will facilitate its development via internal and external (Private) programs. This will ensure private property developers don’t price gouge.
People from all over Australia struggling with housing can secure jobs in Sydney or Melbourne while living in a high quality $300,000 home at the SnowCity.
Retirees from all over Australia can sell their million dollar home, move to the Snowcity, become filthy rich overnight and be just 20 minutes away from everything Sydney and Melbourne has to offer.
Investors can build, rent them out or use AirBnB so they can still ski during the snow season.
Eventually the Snowcity will become Australias greatest and most populated city, with its own thriving local job market, entertainment, airports etc.
2. Paying for the Snowcity’s Hyperloop.
Oil and gas company’s that operate within Australia evade paying up to 30 billion dollars in tax/royalties every year compared to other countries like Norway, Qatar and The UK.
How Does Norway, Qatar and the UK Tax The Oil & Gas Sector? There’s countless articles online. Just start googling.
Collecting just 25 billion per year will easily fund the hyperloop.
The Hyperloop is estimated to cost $50 billion dollars from Melbourne to Sydney. However, let’s just assume the costs will be $150 billion as it’s never been done before over huge distances, we want it mostly in underground tunnels and completed ASAP. That means 6 years and the Hyperloop is fully paid off.
The oil and gas industry probably has another 30 years of extreme profits. Over this time we will use some of the royalties to make Hyperloop tickets free until The Great Australian Snowcity can provide extremely cheap tickets via the many millions of daily Hyperloop users (Including freight company’s that will switch to the hyperloop instead of roads).
Let’s use an old, dying, dirty and mostly foreign owned fossil fuel industry as a nest egg to build the greatest and most affordable city the world has ever seen.
3. Keeping Affordable Housing Affordable:
TAHP’s Housing Policy will work but it’s not ideal. No one wants to use a national park to solve our housing problem but that’s the situation we’re in. To make matters worse, The SnowCity will only be a short term bandaid unless we limit immigration so the Australian population doesn’t expand. Our natural birth rate is less than the population replacement rate so we need immigration, but an amount that stabilizes our population, not expands or reduces it.
What about our national skills shortage? A skills shortage is how big business’s and their puppets (Business Council of Australia, career politicians, Economists, the media, “experts,” RBA, ACCC, etc etc) describe a high demand for employees. Big businesses do not want to fight over employees as this limits their ability to further lower our wages, further remove our penalty rates, and further water down our conditions.
Don’t we need a bigger population to deal with our ageing population? See policy 5 below.
4. University, Debt, & Our Ageing Population.
40 years ago if you had a university degree you were someone special. If you had a masters degree everyone thought you’d be the next big thing. Today is a completely different story. If you have a degree you’re a grain of sand on a beach. University is the new high school but worse because Graduates also have huge debt after university and most of the time little to no extra skills (Except maybe beer pong). Ask any university graduate just how much of their degree they used in their graduate job. The honest answers will range from nothing to 10%.
TAHP will change legislation to allow and incentivise employers to hire people for selected graduate positions that show promise but do not have a degree. This will reduce the amount of young people receiving Centrelink while also freeing them from beginning their careers in crippling debt. It will increase the participation rate as the average entry age into the workforce will become lower. This will help with the negative impacts of our ageing population. It will also help young people secure a Snowcity mortgage earlier in life and start paying it off, allowing earlier retirement.
5. Inflation:
The current system that fixes inflation is deeply flawed. TAHP will use two tools to tackle high inflation. Interest rates and a savings mechanism. When inflation is too high this saving mechanism will be enforced for individuals earning more than $200,000 per year. Inflation keeps rising, the saving mechanism percentage keeps rising, meaning they have less and less money to spend in the economy, causing inflation to cool. When inflation returns to normal these high income individuals receive access to their savings. As time goes on we can expand it to lower income brackets and place less and less emphasis on the corrupt and unfair interest rate mechanism (Keep the rates as low as possible making our Snowcity mortgages even more affordable).
6. Restoring Capitalism
Natural competition in the marketplace is the founding principal of capitalism. Many big company’s within Australia are, or are close to becoming monopolies. Price gouging is rampant.
What’s the point of building an affordable city if Coles, Woolworths, the banks, Wesfarmers and all the other big businesses (Who are in cahoots) set up shop and continue to price gouge.
To solve this everyone at the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) needs to be immediately fired. The ACCC then needs to be rebuilt and massively empowered to focus solely on big business and their private (Profit hiding) subsidiary company’s.
The new ACCC needs to restore capitalism and ensure the Snowcity remains affordable for our lives, our children’s lives and our children’s children’s lives.
7. Pro Business Environment and Deregulation for Small Businesses:
TAHP politicians (All small business owners) will use their real world business knowledge, their day to day experience to create a more pro business environment. They’ll remove as many regulations as possible for small businesses, reducing costs and improving efficiency, making the Snowcity even more affordable.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

lih posted:

6. Restoring Capitalism

No.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Real capitalism has never been tried

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I saw the part about Elon Musk's Boring Company and immediately went "oh, they're all idiots".

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
At least the Medicare changes might bring back some bulk billed GPs. Everything else in the budget is a bit of a joke.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Elitist gatekeeping, in the AUSPOL thread?

I love the gurge but didn't want to be adding stuff from 25 years ago, felt a bit boomerish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ1l4UJW04Y

People here still believe TISM are relevant and good The Gurg' are fine.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
It’s starts dumb it gets worse, there’s plenty of land that isn’t national park to use for a new city.

I don’t know jack poo poo about the hyperloop beyond musk being involved, which should have been enough to doubt it but I looked it up

wikipedia posted:

Technical University of Munich Hyperloop set the hyperloop speed record of 463 km/h (288 mph) in July 2019 at the pod design competition hosted by SpaceX in Hawthorne, California.

Virgin Hyperloop conducted the first human trial in November 2020 at its test site in Las Vegas, reaching a top speed of 172 km/h (107 mph).

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Fundamentally, everything about it is stupid.
Maybe if you designed a new city that's going to use it from day one, it would be "practical". But then your city will be a huge, empty, barren, unwalkable nightmare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWvagC5ccyY&t=2847s

A Good Username fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 9, 2023

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

A Good Username posted:

Fundamentally, everything about it is stupid.
Maybe if you designed a new city that's going to use it from day one, it would be "practical". But then your city will be a huge, empty, barren, unwalkable nightmare.

The doco The Experimental City goes into this, with the idea of building a city specifically around a few types of technologies and urban planning ideas to see how they would work in practice. The mode of transport they would have planned around was a dual-mode vehicle, that could drive like a car on a street or attach to something like a track or cable and basically become a cable-car and drive itself to a location. If you like urban planning and insane pie in the sky ideas, check the doco out. It's good.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Clearly you've not heard Voyager, then! They're great, I've seen them live, they are perfect for Eurovision.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Speaking of urban planning and transport, on a recent ride I came across the big red circle, which is full of trucks coming and going from the big distribution centres - (DHL, FedEx, Woolworths, Linfox, etc). If you moved these facilities to the little red circle at the end of the train line in Leppington, and connect to the international port by joining up with the green line, you could take a significant percentage of trucks off the road and onto rail.

From there it could tap into the e-cycle network previously outlined, and you can send pretty much anything pretty much anywhere with virtually no emissions or noise or traffic accidents. And the stuff that does need cars and trucks will have way more space on the roads to do it.

And if we're feeling particularly constructive we could build a train tunnel along the white line, from Parramatta to Epping, to save the entire eastern rail line from having to go all the way through Strathfield and the city and across the harbour.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Speaking of urban planning and transport, on a recent ride I came across the big red circle, which is full of trucks coming and going from the big distribution centres - (DHL, FedEx, Woolworths, Linfox, etc). If you moved these facilities to the little red circle at the end of the train line in Leppington, and connect to the international port by joining up with the green line, you could take a significant percentage of trucks off the road and onto rail.

From there it could tap into the e-cycle network previously outlined, and you can send pretty much anything pretty much anywhere with virtually no emissions or noise or traffic accidents. And the stuff that does need cars and trucks will have way more space on the roads to do it.

And if we're feeling particularly constructive we could build a train tunnel along the white line, from Parramatta to Epping, to save the entire eastern rail line from having to go all the way through Strathfield and the city and across the harbour.

What’s in the little red circle right now?

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.

lih posted:

parrahub on ice

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I've had a quick scan of some of the budget papers (mostly because I'm keen to understand the impact on psychology) but here's some interesting points I've pulled out:

quote:

- The government expects the public service to grow by 10,000, with approx 3,000 being converted from existing consultants. The majority of these are Department of Defence.

- No real acknowledgement in the statement of risks around social safety nets, funding of medicare, or education.

- Funding for child care subsidy reform is being ripped out and now will provide funding for training for childcare workers (75,000 places), financial support for up to 6,000 educators to undertake prac at university, and 2,000 placements in regional or remote areas. This will be over 5 years so do the averaging.

- Government is expected to rip 53 million over 5 years out of legacy funding and grants provided to the tertiary education sector. Line items include "Strategic University Reform Fund", "Regional Research Collaboration Program", as well as about 3 million in duplicated funding and 2 million in funding recovery overpayment of independent schools.

- A general line item of 105 million over 4 years for service delivery for education/higher ed based on moving the numbers around from above.

- A $900k contract to a big 4 consultancy firm to develop a 10 year queer health strategy.

- Medicare is being streamlined (modern and clinically appropriate), 126 million over 5 years for primary care, 10 million for ongoing reviews.

- Government expects to save almost half a billion dollars of medicare efficiencies over 5 years, most will come from efficiencies around the Chronic Disease Management (???) as well as efficiencies around GP billing.

- We are getting a new government department - the Australian Centre for Disease Control.

- Mental health is getting 556 million over 5 years, but this looks front-loaded as there will be a significant funding reduction from 2025-27.

- $91.3 million over 5 years from 2022–23 for additional psychology placements, including 500 psychology post-graduate placements, 500 one-year internships, and 2,000 supervisor training sessions (1,000 of which will be refresher places), and a redesign of psychology higher education pathways. I mean funding is fine but it's average 100 placements and internships per year across the entire psychologist workforce, for reference we had 7,500 provisional psychologists in December 2022 for context. I'm keen to hear more about the redesign of the higher ed pathways but this is pretty milquetoast.

- 8.7 million to establish two new lived experience peak bodies for representation and research (???)

- Most of this isn't new funding, it's being ripped from the Mental Health Commission as well as other line items from previous budget measures like "Prioritising Mental Health – Aftercare following a suicide attempt" but there's apparently an equivalent thing in the last budget.

- There's a nebulous line at the end about "The Government has provisioned funding for future mental health priorities in response to the Better Access evaluation."

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
Bulldoze all Australian cities into the sea and get the Saudis to build Neom 2 from Sydney to Perth.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mola Yam posted:

Bulldoze all Australian cities into the sea and get the Saudis to build Neom 2 from Sydney to Perth.

No matter how big you build that rabbit proof fence the bastards will still get through.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Recoome posted:

I've had a quick scan of some of the budget papers (mostly because I'm keen to understand the impact on psychology) but here's some interesting points I've pulled out:

Taking money out of tertiary education will indirectly effect psychology as well, so good job there

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

What’s in the little red circle right now?

According to google earth, very little. Terra Nullius. It’ll be fine.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Taking money out of tertiary education will indirectly effect psychology as well, so good job there

from the sounds of it they sound like rort/pork barrelling grants to mates of the Coalition in the sector

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Should be able to update on Thursday, re: Budget impact on tertiary ed. But the logic that Labor would have a rather huge pool of money to toss around through discontinuation of 9+ years of coalition rorts is relatively sound, when you consider the Morrison era flagrancy alone...

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'd love to know who has Labor over a barrel that they must proceed with the Stage 3 cuts. Even if they kept the cuts between 45-120k, it's amazing that they continue to wedge themselves on this issue.

Don Dongington posted:

Should be able to update on Thursday, re: Budget impact on tertiary ed. But the logic that Labor would have a rather huge pool of money to toss around through discontinuation of 9+ years of coalition rorts is relatively sound, when you consider the Morrison era flagrancy alone...

I think there's definitely some breath holding that the "efficiencies" will result in the funding going where it needs to go. Not sure if it's a funding increase but again, interesting nonetheless.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The line item about a redesign of the higher-ed pathways for psychology really should be a big one. We are currently in the process of deciding the updated psychologist competencies with an eye on looking at the specific endorsement competencies, which in-turn will influence how we train psychologists in the future. The system, as is, is very cyclical with several groups holding powerful yet somewhat conflicting interests (Ahpra, APAC, DPRET, individual universities) over how psychs get trained. We are talking the very long game here (it took about 10 years for the 2010 reform of psychology to really take root) but hopefully this is the first good step - wish we had greater clarity and engagement rather than a single sentence down the line.

Edit: DPRET is the Division of Psychological Research, Education, and Training, and basically is extremely influential in advocating how psychs are trained. It's made up completely of academics from psychological research, clinical, social, or cognitive psychologists. In the peak body which advises how psychologists should be trained, none of the specialise in training or workforce planning. It's a huge blindspot we continue to have as a profession.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 10, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
labor are just unambitious cowards who are terrified of being seen to break a promise

i think it's possible they remove the worst of the stage 3 cuts in next year's budget, they've shown they will cave to pressure a little bit this year, and it'll be easier for them to make an argument about inflation, the deficit, or whatever right before they take effect, but i'm not exactly getting my hopes up

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
They seem hellbent on addressing what they perceive as their weak spots, or at least what they think the media will hammer them on. Hence the contradictory "stage 3 tax cuts already legislated, no plans" and "budget repair/fiscal responsibility is the most important thing". I think Albanese was grilled by Karl Stevanidiot this morning along the lines of, "you PROMISE you won't increase taxes?", "SUPER pinky promise?", "you rule it out for the next thousand years, right" - it's one of those stupid media journalism things where they just ache to get a shot of a politician ruling something out, regardless of the reason, so they can hammer them over broken promises later. It's ridiculous, stupid, and characteristic of the main way many people get their news. Also c.f. the insane focus on surpluses as the key indicator of fiscal responsibility - but only for the ALP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

America has, (after far too long a time, and only in a Civil case), managed to do to Trump what we should have done to Christian Porter.

Forgive the hot take, but:
Rape is bad, rapists are scum, and deserve no place in public life or elected positions.