Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Escape Goat posted:

For the third straight run, I've failed the deface the portrait / chipped emerald quest. I also realized that there's a section of the castle that needs Ashley for a treasure. I've just completed the clock tower.

How far back to I need to load a save game to have Ashley back?

Before the section where you play Ashley (when you're running around to collect the three heads). After that she's gone for the remainder of the castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

quote is not edit

I'll instead use this post to ask if there's any decent guide to par times for each third of the game on each difficulty attempting an S+ run, and not using the cheat DLC to get infinite typewriter/handcannon ammo from the start. Since I'm trying to challenge myself as well, assume that I won't use either the typewriter or handcannon (but I do have the preorder handgun/shotgun available).

Navaash fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 8, 2023

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Escape Goat posted:

For the third straight run, I've failed the deface the portrait / chipped emerald quest. I also realized that there's a section of the castle that needs Ashley for a treasure. I've just completed the clock tower.

How far back to I need to load a save game to have Ashley back?

Before you place the 3 animal heads on the statue.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I only briefly played SH1. Never really grabbed me. I'm also a baby when it comes to horror. As in, played the re7 demo, didn't actually buy the game until years later, didn't actually play it until years after that (and in relatively short sessions because it was too much for me, at least the first house).

I somehow got reading about SL2 one day and it seems to have a cool story and atmosphere, but watching LPs of it, for me as an outsider it just all falls apart watching the combat, especially that penultimate boss.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Sh4 is so much fun, never get tired of Kurt Cobain trying to shoot poor Henry

Origins is also super fun, I punched so many nurses. Sometimes with a portable TV finisher.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

codo27 posted:

I only briefly played SH1. Never really grabbed me. I'm also a baby when it comes to horror. As in, played the re7 demo, didn't actually buy the game until years later, didn't actually play it until years after that (and in relatively short sessions because it was too much for me, at least the first house).

I somehow got reading about SL2 one day and it seems to have a cool story and atmosphere, but watching LPs of it, for me as an outsider it just all falls apart watching the combat, especially that penultimate boss.

It's OK when I got RE4 on GameCube I wouldn't play it at night. The sewer/prison segment freaked me out.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob
I always had a soft spot for Shattered Memories. I normally don't like no-combat horror but I thought it found a good compromise by having the separate running sections. Hate when games interrupt my explorin' to make me hide in a closet. It also has a cool vibe with the empty town in a snowstorm thing.

Downpour was kind of a mixed bag but I also liked it overall.

Homecoming sucked rear end and to this day I'm still mad I bought it at launch lol

Origins also exists

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ShatMemz owned for what it was

It at least tried to do something different

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I never thought Homecoming was disliked so much! I always had a soft spot for it. I'm playing it again right now and the worst thing I can say about it at the moment is the flashlight is useless. Game is so dark.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Silent Hill 1 still gets me to this day. It's a masterclass of working around the limitations of the hardware to create an atmosphere of dread and tension.

One time I was playing at home on my own and was so anxious I walked into a room, the radio was going nuts but no enemies, walked into a corner and a ghost child popped up, gave that squeak noise and fell over. I drat near shat myself! I shrieked and ran downstairs to watch cartoons for the rest of the afternoon and didn't go upstairs to turn it off until someone else came home. Silent Hill is excellent.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Resident evil 2 was played 24/7 at my older cousins house when i was younger (as well as goldeneye and zelda) but i didn’t pluck up the courage to play it until i was 18.

Re4 was so daft i found it much easier to take in when i was 14

Me and my friend (we were 5 and 6) tried to play resident evil 1 (we were warned) got to the first zombie fmv,screamed the house down and played outside for about 8 hours.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its too bad gaming reached the level of popularity where it fell under the control of boardroom execs who will only greenlight safe bets aka whatever is selling.

Things may actually be on the upswing though, there are several games out right now that I'm interested in and haven't purchased yet (re4, jedi survivor, tears)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

RE4 and Jedi Survivor are both great, but Tears of the Kingdom is definitely the oddball one in that group. Just how long they've spent on entirely new core systems feels like it puts it in a different category.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Jedi Survivor is one of the currently worst released games due to technical issues.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Sh1 is scary until you realize it's just the school from Kindergarten Cop

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
The zombie eating the guy in the beginning of RE1 sticks out to me. The head just...drops.

I'll never forget that sound, good job audio crew

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Treecko posted:

if anything this makes it scarier

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I'm always worried Arnie is gonna pop out and ask where his ferret is

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Then I'll have to find a key to unlock a door so he stops chasing me

I love survival horror

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
PS1 Resident Evil games have such a charm to them, I'd love to see a new one made in the same style. I know there's a bunch of fan ones on YouTube that are fun to watch.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Treecko posted:

The zombie eating the guy in the beginning of RE1 sticks out to me. The head just...drops.

I'll never forget that sound, good job audio crew

This loving terrified me at the time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Treecko posted:

And in SH2 Maria is inspired by Christina Aquilera and Mary/Laura are inspired by the wife and daughter in Con Air. :D

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Bumhead posted:

This loving terrified me at the time.

It might be urban legend, but I remember reading that capcom scanned the eyes of a real cadaver for that. I remember telling my dad and him sarcastically saying "cool".

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Treecko posted:

Medullah posted:

And in SH2 Maria is inspired by Christina Aquilera and Mary/Laura are inspired by the wife and daughter in Con Air. :D

what the gently caress this is actually real? :psyduck:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
"None of the development team knew anything about America so everything was just copied from movies" is probably the most common explanation for most games of that era.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
plus they have good taste in movies

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Evil Kit posted:

what the gently caress this is actually real? :psyduck:

Yeah. There's a bunch of classroom setups in SH1 that are 1 for 1 scenes from kingergardeb cop.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

How incredibly surreal a thing to learn so long after. Thanks thread, I guess?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The bad ending of SH1 must be canon. Harry was probably a cinephile so in his dying dream he conflated his fear of losing his daughter with his favorite Arnold movie, Kindergarten Cop.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Hasn't this happened quite regularly? Japanese game developers ripping things directly from western movies? Like in the STARS office there's a bunch of pictures on the wall that are of celebrities or from American films.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Hasn't this happened quite regularly? Japanese game developers ripping things directly from western movies? Like in the STARS office there's a bunch of pictures on the wall that are of celebrities or from American films.

There’s a very blurry calendar in the s.t.a.r.s office that’s a behind the scenes picture from back to the future 3.

And i think there’s some graffitti of a michael jackson song in re2 on the way to the RPD.

Oh and of course the mr bean car and delorean in 2 and 3.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 9, 2023

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

There’s a very blurry calendar in the s.t.a.r.s office that’s a behind the scenes picture from back to the future 3.

And i think there’s some graffitti of a michael jackson song in re2 on the way to the RPD.

Oh and of course the mr bean car and delorean in 2 and 3.

The Mr Bean Car is Tofu's car. Its Mr Bean Curd.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Disco Pope posted:

The Mr Bean Car is Tofu's car. Its Mr Bean Curd.

Boothisman.mp4

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
RE7 is a Japanese person's idea of rural Louisiana after watching season 1 of True Detective. And it rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMSytMyWaOc

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

RE7 is a Japanese person's idea of rural Louisiana after watching season 1 of True Detective. And it rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMSytMyWaOc

That's cool, I'd forgotten that show started almost a decade ago now, more time before RE7 than I would've guessed.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
To be fair, that's how I picture Louisiana too

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Honestly the only inaccuracies may be the giant basements and lack of delicious-looking food. There should be a mod that replaces the food in the dinner scene with a crawfish boil and jambalaya

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

Honestly the only inaccuracies may be the giant basements and lack of delicious-looking food. There should be a mod that replaces the food in the dinner scene with a crawfish boil and jambalaya

Well they couldn't do that, because then Ethan would see it and just be like "I can live here now? Hell yeah" and the game would be over

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m curious if the FPS Resident Evil games will continue or if RE9 will go back to the more traditional style (and possibly return the focus to some of the classic characters)

Also after the RE4 remake I kind of want an Ashley game now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Larryb posted:

I’m curious if the FPS Resident Evil games will continue or if RE9 will go back to the more traditional style (and possibly return the focus to some of the classic characters)

Also after the RE4 remake I kind of want an Ashley game now

Ashley and Sherry team up to save their boyfriends